Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 10019 Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Senior Member
 
djPerfectTrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
^^^Check the audyssey thread. They just added that to the FAQ.

Turn it up!
djPerfectTrip is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 10019 Old 06-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Member
 
markymiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD View Post

I don't know what you guys are talking about. The 818 is definitely not bright. It has a very natural sound.
Are you guys sure you have Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ, Audyessy, etc off?

Perhaps I should make it clearer the combination of xt32 with this receiver make it a little bright for my tastes. Without audyssey it is not so bad so I guess it's xt32 that makes it a little bright. That was the main reason for getting this receiver, was curious how good the new audyssey was. I love the sub integration shame there's no way to tone down the mids would be perfect.

Reading through the audyssey thread others are finding this too. I guess it's what your used to might just need some time to adjust to the new sound.
markymiles is offline  
post #633 of 10019 Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Member
 
dumbasbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

If your 818 is not hooked up to the net I would assume that would be why your 818 is saying it has the most recent version. Hook it up to the net and then try and update your firmware and see what happens.
It is hooked up to the net through ethernet cable. By the way, how do you "cycle the power"?
dumbasbell is offline  
post #634 of 10019 Old 06-21-2012, 07:43 AM
 
cybrsage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 8,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Power cycling is turning it off an on, with at least 10 seconds of wait time in the middle. Depending on how standby works, to fully power off you would have to pull the power cord.
cybrsage is offline  
post #635 of 10019 Old 06-21-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gpmbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,413
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymiles View Post

Perhaps I should make it clearer the combination of xt32 with this receiver make it a little bright for my tastes. Without audyssey it is not so bad so I guess it's xt32 that makes it a little bright. That was the main reason for getting this receiver, was curious how good the new audyssey was. I love the sub integration shame there's no way to tone down the mids would be perfect.
Reading through the audyssey thread others are finding this too. I guess it's what your used to might just need some time to adjust to the new sound.
I don't know what your room is like, but if you don't have any room treatments, that might get you where you wanna be and take some of the edge off.
markymiles likes this.
gpmbc is online now  
post #636 of 10019 Old 06-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Member
 
tyson1749's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picked mine up today at a BB Magnolia for 839:)
tyson1749 is offline  
post #637 of 10019 Old 06-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
coolcat4843's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
A question for 818 owners.
Does XT32 calibration EQ dual subwoofers separately?

coolcat4843 is offline  
post #638 of 10019 Old 06-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
Patrick Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
No.
Patrick Murphy is offline  
post #639 of 10019 Old 06-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Member
 
jason370's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson1749 View Post

Picked mine up today at a BB Magnolia for 839:)

new , refurb or open box?
jason370 is offline  
post #640 of 10019 Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
coolcat4843's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

No.

Thanks.

So it looks like I I'll have to order one of the expensive models. mad.gifmad.gif

coolcat4843 is offline  
post #641 of 10019 Old 06-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Member
 
tyson1749's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New! Guy asked how much I'd seen it for. I said 849, he said great how's 839 sound? Said sold!
tyson1749 is offline  
post #642 of 10019 Old 06-21-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
UNICRON-WMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

Thanks.
So it looks like I I'll have to order one of the expensive models. mad.gifmad.gif

I don't think any receiver with XT32 EQs the subs individually. They EQ them together.

If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.
My small dedicated theater.
UNICRON-WMD is offline  
post #643 of 10019 Old 06-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
coolcat4843's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD View Post

I don't think any receiver with XT32 EQs the subs individually. They EQ them together.
If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Onkyo receivers with Audyssey Sub EQ HT can EQ dual subs separately.
Unfortunately the new 818 model doesn't have it.

Double the Bass with Two Subs

Audyssey Sub EQ HT let’s you properly integrate two subwoofers in a home theater system.

Bass in small rooms is notoriously difficult to get right. Bass lovers will try almost anything to enhance bass output. Many believe adding a second subwoofer will solve the problem – this is true in part, but only if the second subwoofer is properly integrated, not simply added on to an existing set-up. Audyssey Sub EQ HT ensures that the level and delay for each subwoofer is correct before integrating them into the equalization solution.

This new technology is a huge leap forward from the days when adding an additional subwoofer was accomplished by adding a y-chord to the subwoofer output of an AVR. Now, the process is automated and produces better results because it is fully integrated with MultEQ. The process takes only a few minutes and results in rich, full bass for everyone in the room.
cheeky chappie likes this.

coolcat4843 is offline  
post #644 of 10019 Old 06-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Senior Member
 
KK in CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson1749 View Post

New! Guy asked how much I'd seen it for. I said 849, he said great how's 839 sound? Said sold!

I haven't seen this model on their website yet. Good to know they have it in store.

KK in CT is offline  
post #645 of 10019 Old 06-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Member
 
jason370's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just paid 240 more on Amazon. I should return it. So I can just walk into best buy and expect to pay under 900? Where do you live?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
jason370 is offline  
post #646 of 10019 Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Member
 
dumbasbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like to ask advise here about audio settings. What is the ideal settings for bass and treble? Also, is it recommended that I use Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume?
dumbasbell is offline  
post #647 of 10019 Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Member
 
tyson1749's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oregon. It didn't have to haggle at all. Guy asked what I'd seen it for, I told him and he beat it by 10.00. He didn't even look it up. Best of all Oregon doesn't have sales tax, so was same as if I'd ordered it online and not paid tax.
tyson1749 is offline  
post #648 of 10019 Old 06-22-2012, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

A question for 818 owners.
Does XT32 calibration EQ dual subwoofers separately?

It does not and that is a good thing. Two (or more) separately EQed subs will result in a completely different in-room response when played together. With MultEQ you always want to EQ multiple low frequency sources as one to get the smoothest response.

The 1007 had a "bug" which resulted in two separately EQed sub channels. Even Audyssey acknowledged this behavior as "undesirable".

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is online now  
post #649 of 10019 Old 06-22-2012, 02:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
coolcat4843's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

It does not and that is a good thing. Two (or more) separately EQed subs will result in a completely different in-room response when played together. With MultEQ you always want to EQ multiple low frequency sources as one to get the smoothest response.
The 1007 had a "bug" which resulted in two separately EQed sub channels. Even Audyssey acknowledged this behavior as "undesirable".

So if what you say is true, why doesn't the 818 have Audyssey Sub EQ HT?

coolcat4843 is offline  
post #650 of 10019 Old 06-22-2012, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

So if what you say is true, why doesn't the 818 have Audyssey Sub EQ HT?

It's nothing I say, it's physics. A good read is Toole's "Loudspeakers and Rooms for Sound Reproduction" (see 7). This link might also be helpful.

Sub EQ HT does only one thing (actually two things). It adjusts the level of each subwoofer so their average loudness at the listening position is the same before calibration. Secondly it sets the delay for each sub. None of this is really required for good low frequency reproduction because what we perceive is not the subwoofer in an anechoic space but the subwoofer through a complex filter (the room).

It would be more helpful if MultEQ would optimize the crossover region between the subs and the satellites. But MultEQ is "just" a single speaker optimization solution.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is online now  
post #651 of 10019 Old 06-22-2012, 05:17 AM
Member
 
MrJai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

Thanks.
So it looks like I I'll have to order one of the expensive models. mad.gifmad.gif

Just go with a 3009. You won't be disappointed. I've sampled from 809 to 3009 and 818. IMO the 3009 blows the doors off any model below it (including 818).

MrJai is offline  
post #652 of 10019 Old 06-22-2012, 05:23 AM
Senior Member
 
KK in CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJai View Post

Just go with a 3009. You won't be disappointed. I've sampled from 809 to 3009 and 818. IMO the 3009 blows the doors off any model below it (including 818).

With regards to the 3009 over the 818, are you referring to features, sound quality, etc? Just trying to get a better understanding of why you feel it "blows the doors off" the 818. Especially as the price of the 3009 has been coming down.

KK in CT is offline  
post #653 of 10019 Old 06-22-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJai View Post

Just go with a 3009. You won't be disappointed. I've sampled from 809 to 3009 and 818. IMO the 3009 blows the doors off any model below it (including 818).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK in CT View Post

With regards to the 3009 over the 818, are you referring to features, sound quality, etc? Just trying to get a better understanding of why you feel it "blows the doors off" the 818. Especially as the price of the 3009 has been coming down.

My experience was different... I owned the 5009 before the 818...

The performance delta between the two wasn't at all great enough to justify a 2.5 times price increase, and IMO, not even a 1.5 for the 3009...

That was Joe's opinion also IIRC.
FilmMixer is online now  
post #654 of 10019 Old 06-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
coolcat4843's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

It's nothing I say, it's physics. A good read is Toole's "Loudspeakers and Rooms for Sound Reproduction" (see 7). This link might also be helpful.
Sub EQ HT does only one thing (actually two things). It adjusts the level of each subwoofer so their average loudness at the listening position is the same before calibration. Secondly it sets the delay for each sub. None of this is really required for good low frequency reproduction because what we perceive is not the subwoofer in an anechoic space but the subwoofer through a complex filter (the room).
It would be more helpful if MultEQ would optimize the crossover region between the subs and the satellites. But MultEQ is "just" a single speaker optimization solution.

So the 818 not having Sub EQ HT is not a deal breaker, because it's not really necessary?
rbln63 likes this.

coolcat4843 is offline  
post #655 of 10019 Old 06-22-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

So the 818 not having Sub EQ HT is not a deal breaker, because it's not really necessary?

Correct.

Placing multiple subwoofers at optimal locations is the most important factor. "Optimal" is low seat to seat differences and low non-minimum phase behavior.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is online now  
post #656 of 10019 Old 06-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Member
 
jason370's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

My experience was different... I owned the 5009 before the 818...
The performance delta between the two wasn't at all great enough to justify a 2.5 times price increase, and IMO, not even a 1.5 for the 3009...
That was Joe's opinion also IIRC.

So you think the extra $350 isn't worth it to go with the 3009 over the 818? I currently have an 818 which i just bought and was considering the switch.

Jason
jason370 is offline  
post #657 of 10019 Old 06-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
coolcat4843's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason370 View Post

So you think the extra $350 isn't worth it to go with the 3009 over the 818? I currently have an 818 which i just bought and was considering the switch.
Jason

The 818 doesn't have Sub EQ HT, the 3009 does.

coolcat4843 is offline  
post #658 of 10019 Old 06-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Member
 
jason370's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

The 818 doesn't have Sub EQ HT, the 3009 does.

I only have one sub and have no interest in getting another anytime soon. so this shouldnt be much of an issue for me.
jason370 is offline  
post #659 of 10019 Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Member
 
MrJai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK in CT View Post

With regards to the 3009 over the 818, are you referring to features, sound quality, etc? Just trying to get a better understanding of why you feel it "blows the doors off" the 818. Especially as the price of the 3009 has been coming down.

SubEq alone is worth the difference. I run 2 subs and to my ear 3009 integrates my system better. By the way I have try both one after the other.

MrJai is offline  
post #660 of 10019 Old 06-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Member
 
MrJai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
As I said before for the money and features the 818 is a great receiver over any other brand (yes it is that good, superb video processing, XT32, etc). Now running 2 subs, 3009 & up is the way to go. Now if I had to choose between 3009 & 5009, there is no way I would pay extra for the 5009. My 3009 cost me 1200 due to rewards reason why is a no brainer

MrJai is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off