Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Hi,

Do you by chance happen to know any details or when it might be due?

Thanks!

I contacted Onkyo and was told announcement would be made in May or June. Wouldn't give any details tho.

GO BLUE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

No, that one is easy imo. The next iteration will soon be released, companies are clearing stock.

They were on sale a month after they got released.
post #6663 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 07:38 PM

Liked: 15
Looks like I'll be returning the Onkyo 818 and eat a $80 or so loss for the restocking fee from Newegg. I'll be using the made in 1997 Sony STR-DA80ES without HDMI as my main receiver. The Sony receiver was built for sound quality alone and in a different league from the feature packed made in 2012 Onkyo 818.

HDTV: Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685
Receiver: Sony STR-DA80ES
Blu-ray Player: Playstation 3
Power Center: Monster HDP 1800
post #6664 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r View Post

That's a HUGE letdown for me. I can't believe they didn't simply add the options right along with sub & center. With that being said, is there any way to either lower/mute the volume of the pink noise... or to store channel level settings to something like a remote button or listening mode - so that it can be switched without effecting the other sources/modes? I can't have pink noise blaring out of my speakers every time I want to change the surround channel levels for music and back again.

I hit menu on Harmony remote and there is an OSD that allowed me to change the speakers DB but cannot recall if I had access to all speakers hooked up to it.
post #6665 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
RomanBlade86,
You have had the receiver all of 2 days...I would go out of my way to test for a few more days before I would give up 80 bucks...
I know you've said a few times you are running a 2 ch setup. You haven't mentioned what speakers you have...room specifics, calibration...(have you run audyssey?...how many times?) What mode are you running? PURE, Direct, Stereo? Do yourself a favor, and give the receiver a chance, before you "knee jerk" and dump it. (this is coming from a very skeptical Onkyo owner...)

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #6666 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

They were on sale a month after they got released.
Not here in the UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanBlade86 View Post

Looks like I'll be returning the Onkyo 818 and eat a $80 or so loss for the restocking fee from Newegg. I'll be using the made in 1997 Sony STR-DA80ES without HDMI as my main receiver. The Sony receiver was built for sound quality alone and in a different league from the feature packed made in 2012 Onkyo 818.
Can you be more specific regarding your setup/AV settings.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #6667 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

RomanBlade86,
You have had the receiver all of 2 days...I would go out of my way to test for a few more days before I would give up 80 bucks...
I know you've said a few times you are running a 2 ch setup. You haven't mentioned what speakers you have...room specifics, calibration...(have you run audyssey?...how many times?) What mode are you running? PURE, Direct, Stereo? Do yourself a favor, and give the receiver a chance, before you "knee jerk" and dump it. (this is coming from a very skeptical Onkyo owner...)

I had an audiophile relative come over to assist me through this entire process. We ran Audyssey and messed around with the settings and still the sound is nowhere near the Sony STR-DA80ES from 1997. My relative spends thousands on audio equipment and basically said the Onkyo is a joke compared to the Sony STR-DA80ES receiver which is a perfect choice for a 2-speaker setup. The speakers I am using are two Bowers & Wilkins 685s. I tried many of the settings and it sounded nowhere near as good as the STR-DA80ES.

post #6668 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 08:09 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

I had an audiophile relative come over to assist me through this entire process. We ran Audyssey and messed around with the settings and still the sound is nowhere near the Sony STR-DA80ES from 1997. My relative spends thousands on audio equipment and basically said the Onkyo is a joke compared to the Sony STR-DA80ES receiver which is a perfect choice for a 2-speaker setup. The speakers I am using are two Bowers & Wilkins 685s. I tried many of the settings and it sounded nowhere near as good as the STR-DA80ES.
Still, what settings are you trying, or have tried?

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #6669 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, are you trying to please your "audiophile" friend, or yourself?
I remember you agonizing, over this purchase for a while...Granted, I have not heard this Sony model that you are referencing, BUT, I find it difficult to believe that a seventeen year old receiver has the chops to hold a candle to this model.
I am sure it is possible, that you prefer an "analog" sound over more modern digital equivalent...Maybe it has Burr-Brown DAC's that are highly regarded. It appears to have 5 true 100 watt amps, which, truthfully is rated more than the Onkyo. You may need separates to please your ears.

post #6670 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Roman it sounds like you have a set up issue. rearview the audyssey faq thread. post pics of your room in order to get speaker location advice. describe your connections and listening mode settings.

i can guarantee you that once properly configured the onkyo will "blow you away"! Also your " audiophile" relatives advice is likely all wrong. Ive rarely heard a system without modern room correction be better then one with room correction properly set up.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #6671 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

Sorry, are you trying to please your "audiophile" friend, or yourself?
I remember you agonizing, over this purchase for a while...Granted, I have not heard this Sony model that you are referencing, BUT, I find it difficult to believe that a seventeen year old receiver has the chops to hold a candle to this model.
I am sure it is possible, that you prefer an "analog" sound over more modern digital equivalent...Maybe it has Burr-Brown DAC's that are highly regarded. It appears to have 5 true 100 watt amps, which, truthfully is rated more than the Onkyo. You may need separates to please your ears.

I did mention "I tried many of the settings and it sounded nowhere near as good as the STR-DA80ES" so that right there suggests my opinion but I also added the opinion of a relative of mine who spends thousands on a regular basis on audio equipment and knows his stuff. That is the reason I invited him over so we could test this thing. The Onkyo also runs really warm while the old Sony receiver does not. Yes, I also thought the same thing how a receiver from 1997 without HDMI can sound better than a modern HDMI receiver but it does. Newer isn't always better and that applies to cars, movies and apparently receivers.

post #6672 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:

I did mention "I tried many of the settings and it sounded nowhere near as good as the STR-DA80ES" so that right there suggests my opinion but I also added the opinion of a relative of mine who spends thousands on a regular basis on audio equipment and knows his stuff. That is the reason I invited him over so we could test this thing. The Onkyo also runs really warm while the old Sony receiver does not. Yes, I also thought the same thing how a receiver from 1997 without HDMI can sound better than a modern HDMI receiver but it does. Newer isn't always better and that applies to cars, movies and apparently receivers.

Is this your Sony AVR model ??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-STR-DA80ES-5-1-DOLBY-SURROUND-RECEIVER-/330916407190?pt=US_Stereo_Receivers&hash=item4d0c27a796
post #6673 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 PM

Yeah, that's it. I was thinking about buying another one for the basement but I'm looking for one that is in good condition and with a remote.

post #6674 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 09:04 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

these receiver has many settings, so you can try many settings and still not be touching on the right ones.

have you run Audyssey with full 8 positions? do you have it set for movie or music?
is it detecting a sub that isn't there? are fronts set to full range?
have you tried using Dynamic EQ?

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
post #6675 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMasta View Post

these receiver has many settings, so you can try many settings and still not be touching on the right ones.

have you run Audyssey with full 8 positions? do you have it set for movie or music?
is it detecting a sub that isn't there? are fronts set to full range?
have you tried using Dynamic EQ?

I only have two speakers so I didn't set it to the full 8 positions. Maybe that's my problem. Yeah, I used different settings like the Dynamic EQ and others. I just don't have the patience for this kind of stuff I suppose. I'll just use the old Sony receiver for now and maybe sometime in the future decide on buying separate components.

post #6676 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you have to pay shipping back to them as well?
post #6677 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

Do you have to pay shipping back to them as well?

I'm not even sure at this point. I got an e-mail giving me a RMA but on Newegg it says I will have to pay $51.74 for a shipping label.

post #6678 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 10:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'm not even sure at this point. I got an e-mail giving me a RMA but on Newegg it says I will have to pay $51.74 for a shipping label.
I guess your audiophile relative should have helped you pick out your AVR. Why didn't you ask him what to get before you bought something that did not meet his standards?
post #6679 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzilla View Post

I guess your audiophile relative should have helped you pick out your AVR. Why didn't you ask him what to get before you bought something that did not meet his standards?

It didn't meet my standards as well when I listened to it and kind of felt foolish for buying it when he told me to stick with the Sony STR-DA80ES that he gave me or buy separate components instead. We did a side by side comparison and it wasn't even close. Others said I should get something with HDMI to hear all the subtle sounds from Blu-ray movies that I otherwise wouldn't hear if I bought something without HDMI and how Audyssey will blow everything out of the water. That turned out to be untrue in my case. Perhaps it's my room setup as well but the old Sony receiver without HDMI or other gimmicks has my Blu-rays sounding amazing from my B&W 685 speakers. Two of these speakers powered with the Sony STR-DA80ES sounded so rich and powerful. I'll just stick with my Sony receiver for now and maybe down the line get separate components like a pre-amp and amp from Emotiva but chances are I won't bother for a while because the STR-DA80ES is that good. Older Sony ES receivers still have their fans. The receiver is so good that I'm looking to buy another one for a basement surround sound setup. Perhaps newer isn't always better. Check out this article.:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20082026-47/how-can-30-year-old-receivers-sound-better-than-new-ones/

post #6680 of 9892 Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would be interested in buying the unit off you instead you shipping it back to Newegg. Send me PM if you are up for it.
post #6681 of 9892 Old 05-04-2013, 04:18 AM

OK received my 818 yesterday from the egg @ 569.00

I am happy and then again not / upgraded from a 709

1.sound more vibrate and richer I believe.
2. video looks awesome or is it just me
3.heavy and bigger
4.few more features
5.709 vs 818 not a big change

RF61ii's
RC42ii
WS24's
RW-10D subwoofer
ONKYO AVR TX NR818
Oppo BDP-103
Cyber Power PFC 1500VA UPS
LG 55in 240hz LED 55LM7600 TV
post #6682 of 9892 Old 05-04-2013, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I only have two speakers so I didn't set it to the full 8 positions.

How many positions did you test at? If only one you didn't calibrate anything. It takes all of 15 minutes to run the full 8 position calibration.

Maybe that's my problem. Yeah, I used different settings like the Dynamic EQ and others. I just don't have the patience for this kind of stuff I suppose. I'll just use the old Sony receiver for now and maybe sometime in the future decide on buying separate components.

Just make sure they're at least 15 years old.
post #6683 of 9892 Old 05-04-2013, 06:39 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:

It didn't meet my standards as well when I listened to it and kind of felt foolish for buying it when he told me to stick with the Sony STR-DA80ES that he gave me or buy separate components instead. We did a side by side comparison and it wasn't even close. Others said I should get something with HDMI to hear all the subtle sounds from Blu-ray movies that I otherwise wouldn't hear if I bought something without HDMI and how Audyssey will blow everything out of the water. That turned out to be untrue in my case. Perhaps it's my room setup as well but the old Sony receiver without HDMI or other gimmicks has my Blu-rays sounding amazing from my B&W 685 speakers. Two of these speakers powered with the Sony STR-DA80ES sounded so rich and powerful. I'll just stick with my Sony receiver for now and maybe down the line get separate components like a pre-amp and amp from Emotiva but chances are I won't bother for a while because the STR-DA80ES is that good. Older Sony ES receivers still have their fans. The receiver is so good that I'm looking to buy another one for a basement surround sound setup. Perhaps newer isn't always better. Check out this article.:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20082026-47/how-can-30-year-old-receivers-sound-better-than-new-ones/

that's interesting stuff re: the article from 2011. sounds like you have tried just about everything other than the full audyssey xt32 calibration for 8 positions. could be a combination of the sound you are used to and those speakers with the receiver. reminds me a bit of how older tube pre-amps are still being used/preferred in recording studios (at least on real music and not the digitized garbage).

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
post #6684 of 9892 Old 05-04-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
I think 30yrs ago more power was a big selling point because of the lack of technology and less efficient speakers. Now days alot of speakers are 90db efficient, so lots of power is not a huge priority. What sells is something that interfaces with all these hi tech gadgets that all do the same thing in a different way.
post #6685 of 9892 Old 05-04-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Quote:

I only have two speakers so I didn't set it to the full 8 positions. Maybe that's my problem. Yeah, I used different settings like the Dynamic EQ and others. I just don't have the patience for this kind of stuff I suppose. I'll just use the old Sony receiver for now and maybe sometime in the future decide on buying separate components.

sounds like you need a avr that has a full eq to adjust the sound to your liking. Aside from what many will say Audyssey is not the end all in room eq software. I would suggest exchanging that 818 for the yamaha a820 on sale at new egg for 499.00. then you wont be hit with a restocking fee!
post #6686 of 9892 Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I think a few people have touched on something that you haven't checked Roman...What are the speakers set up as, in the menu?
I am still sifting through the thread, (at page 38 now) and have read something early on, like what you are describing. If you are running these speakers only, with no sub. Make sure Audyssey is reading correctly, and set them at "Full Range". No one is forcing you to keep the unit, and one person here, (probably more) are willing to purchase it from you. It just seems odd to us, that it would be that disappointing. Trust me, no one here has been harder on Onkyo than I have. My 807 was so problem plagued, that I would tell anyone that would listen, to stay away. Then in on last ditch effort, they shipped me a refurb 818. I am amazed at the SQ that this has over my 807. Even out of the box before audyssey. I am no Onkyo fan boy, but I am very impressed with this unit. (I am also not an "audiophile", but have had, and listened to numerous setups over the years...including pro equipment..)
RPGMasta likes this.

post #6687 of 9892 Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:

If all I was using it for was 2 channell ,I would not be buying a home theater 7.1 receiver/processor.Not too echo others but you should be lookingat seperates.
I found the 818,FOR ME, dynamic eq-ON,Music Optomizer-ON,Audissey-OFF....Bass -0....Treble...+4....sub..+.05......Speakers at 50hz...
This is all room and speaker dependant In my room and sounds best too ME in stereo mode.But I know this amp isnt all its cracked up to be either.But it's also probably the best bang for your buck out there without a doubt.
Oh yeah how HEAVY is that old SONY...tongue.gif

post #6688 of 9892 Old 05-04-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Re RomanBlade86: I find it interesting that Roman still has
Not communicated his settings or set-up procedure to us.
His "audiophile" relative "helped" him with his set-up but,
It has already been admitted that he didn't run all the mic
Positions. Surely,if the relative "knew" what he was doing
This would have been corrected.

Makes me wonder what else is not set-up correctly?

On a separated thread I recommended a simpler solution
Based on a 2 speaker system. HK 3490 or Outlaw Audio
RR2150.
post #6689 of 9892 Old 05-04-2013, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a question re 818 DAC. I did some Owner's Manual reading but couldn't find a clear answer.

My task is to compare 818 DAC vs Oppo93 DAC to decide what input (digital/analog) to use for Stereo listening (2.1). I have several options of digital and analog out from Oppo. Currently it is set to HDMI bitstream pass-through (assuming I'm currently using 818's DAC).

If I feed analog (RCA) cables from Oppo to the receiver, does the AVR DAC re-process the analog signal coming from Oppo? Or simply passes the signal to the L/R & Sub channels using the Aud set XO? BTW no video is involved in any case.

Thanks
post #6690 of 9892 Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Honestly why would anyone buy an 818 anyways for stereo reproduction when there are far more competent models available if peak 2 channel performance is what someone is after? This is probably a combination of things including beefier amps in his old machine as well as 15+ years of being used to the way it sounded.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page