Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 226 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6751 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
Patrick Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

Hey guys, i think i have a bad mic for my 818, when i run auddsey, i set the sub at 75db, thats the number it reads from the 818 mic on my tv screen, now when i use my RadioShack spl meter it reads 68db, something isn't right, has anybody had this problem?, also after i run Auddsey, the sound is awfull.

I would take your question over to the dedicated Audyssey thread;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/61860

or you could start with the Audyssey FAQ;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#post_21782993
Patrick Murphy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6752 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Patrick Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePC View Post

Same here too ? is there bad mic going around.

my 818 sounds tiny and not sounding loud @ reference volume 0

^Same advice.
Patrick Murphy is offline  
post #6753 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 07:18 AM
Member
 
crystalineblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi 818 owners,

I have a month old 818, and encountered a handshake (is the the correct term? rolleyes.gif) problem between hdmi arc of avr and hdmi of my tv. confused.gif

I encountered this problem twice already. (1st was 2 weeks ago and 2nd is 10min ago) mad.gif
what i did to solve the problem was to disconnect and reconnect the existing hdmi cable on my avr (tv not included and all units turned off).

can anyone enlighten me on this? Is there a problem with my avr? TV? Cable?
Having this problem for a month old avr is giving me nightmares. Please help.
crystalineblue is offline  
post #6754 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Member
 
shift_grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanBlade86 View Post

Yes, but I think this raises an important discussion. Newer isn't always better and sometimes older receivers built for sound quality can crush newer feature-packed modern receivers that are meant for other things other than beautiful sound production. Also, getting something with HDMI inputs isn't always the best solution because even separate components don't have HDMI inputs and they're arguably the best choice for the best sound quality. cool.gif

I haven't posted in a while, but was checking this thread out because I just bought a 818 (Have not received it yet) and can't help but laugh at all your posts are "he said this" "he says that" like you don't have a single opinion of your own, but you're just repeating what some mysterious supreme audiophile says and it's some sort of definitive proof that your 16 year old Sony receiver is better then a brand new somewhat high end receiver because it has better bass and volume.

Can't help but wonder if the Onkyo had a "loudness" button on it if you would think it was just as good.

I'm replacing my HK 635 that I have no issues with the sound, but it does not have HDMI or the host of other features that the 818 has that I wanted to upgrade to. If you're happy with your old Sony, be happy and move on. But do not try to convince everyone here it's better because you and your buddy say so (and he said.....and he said.....). There are A LOT of variables.
shift_grind is offline  
post #6755 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kevin g.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

Hey guys, i think i have a bad mic for my 818, when i run auddsey, i set the sub at 75db, thats the number it reads from the 818 mic on my tv screen, now when i use my RadioShack spl meter it reads 68db, something isn't right, has anybody had this problem?, also after i run Auddsey, the sound is awfull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePC View Post

Same here too ? is there bad mic going around.

my 818 sounds tiny and not sounding loud @ reference volume 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

I would take your question over to the dedicated Audyssey thread;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/61860

or you could start with the Audyssey FAQ;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#post_21782993


This was discussed earlier in the thread...not sure of the outcome, but it must not have been resolved...

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

kevin g. is offline  
post #6756 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joshjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

Having all the settings is what makes it good. I really think you don't have the passion to learn about the AV, or AV's in general. The time you spent here could have been spent on that.
I really hope that wasnt about me?

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, EMOTIVA XDA-2, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
Joshjp is offline  
post #6757 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joshjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post



This was discussed earlier in the thread...not sure of the outcome, but it must not have been resolved...
Thanks, i will look into it, this is the first time I've had a problem with a auto calibration system.

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, EMOTIVA XDA-2, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
Joshjp is offline  
post #6758 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joshjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

I would take your question over to the dedicated Audyssey thread;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/61860

or you could start with the Audyssey FAQ;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#post_21782993
Thanks, i will look into it wink.gif

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, EMOTIVA XDA-2, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
Joshjp is offline  
post #6759 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kevin g.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

Thanks, i will look into it, this is the first time I've had a problem with a auto calibration system.
Quick question, though...Is it just the sub that is not calibrating at the correct level? If all the speakers are not hitting reference, then I would say it is a mic issue. If it's just the sub, then it is an Onkyo/Audyssey problem.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

kevin g. is offline  
post #6760 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joshjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

Quick question, though...Is it just the sub that is not calibrating at the correct level? If all the speakers are not hitting reference, then I would say it is a mic issue. If it's just the sub, then it is an Onkyo/Audyssey problem.
Yea its just the sub, the speakers are close to 75db, when Audsey is done, they usually read 73db.

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, EMOTIVA XDA-2, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
Joshjp is offline  
post #6761 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
Patrick Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

Thanks, i will look into it wink.gif

This link will take you to your specific question;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#user_e3
Patrick Murphy is offline  
post #6762 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joshjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

This link will take you to your specific question;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#user_e3
Thanks for the link, my buddy has an 818 also, he has one of the newer RadioShack SPL Meters and his readings are vary close to 75db.

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, EMOTIVA XDA-2, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
Joshjp is offline  
post #6763 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
theoneofgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: England
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

I really hope that wasnt about me?
Not you, Roman.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
theoneofgod is offline  
post #6764 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joshjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Ok wink.gif

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, EMOTIVA XDA-2, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
Joshjp is offline  
post #6765 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Member
 
RomanBlade86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post

I haven't posted in a while, but was checking this thread out because I just bought a 818 (Have not received it yet) and can't help but laugh at all your posts are "he said this" "he says that" like you don't have a single opinion of your own, but you're just repeating what some mysterious supreme audiophile says and it's some sort of definitive proof that your 16 year old Sony receiver is better then a brand new somewhat high end receiver because it has better bass and volume.

Can't help but wonder if the Onkyo had a "loudness" button on it if you would think it was just as good.

I'm replacing my HK 635 that I have no issues with the sound, but it does not have HDMI or the host of other features that the 818 has that I wanted to upgrade to. If you're happy with your old Sony, be happy and move on. But do not try to convince everyone here it's better because you and your buddy say so (and he said.....and he said.....). There are A LOT of variables.

Look, I know some people may get upset that a sub $200 Sony receiver from 1997 trounces on an Onkyo 818 that they paid good money for but that's the way it is. Newer isn't always better but people are incapable of accepting it. How can a 17 year old Sony receiver be better than an HDMI feature packed all-in-one gimmick box? Well, one was built for sound quality and the other was built to be a gimmick box with Pandora and other features. I thought all of those fancy features would be fun but now I realize they jam-packed it with gimmicks to get your mind off the compromised sound quality. The Sony receiver, while old, was built for one thing only: to produce beautiful sound without any gimmicks. To me it's a serious piece of audio equipment.

There's no need to get upset about it but accepting it would be hard because you didn't hear them side by side like I did when plugged into two B&W 685s. I heard it first hand and I also have a witness who has been around this hobby for a long time and knows his stuff while I just got into all of this while building my first setup.

I keep referring to my relative and his opinion as a reference in this matter because he has spent thousands and thousands on audio equipment and his been around the block when it comes to this equipment and thought the Onkyo 818 was junk and has a cheap sound when coming from my speakers. Hey, maybe that's how a lot of modern receivers sound today, I really don't know as I just got into this whole thing and the Onkyo is the receiver that I bought. What I can say is an old Sony receiver crushes the fancy Onkyo 818 when doing a sound comparison on a pair of B&W 685s.

I do have an opinion and I say a 1997 Sony receiver without a doubt crushes the Onkyo 818. I also heard it first hand but since I'm new to this whole hobby I'm also vouching that someone who has been around this hobby for a long has also said this because my opinion may not mean as much as his when it comes to audio equipment and sound production. I would expect some people to misinterpret a lot of things as they only focus on certain parts of my post while ignoring the others. I'm not saying you shouldn't like your Onkyo but to blatantly ride off someone's opinion because they say something that is hard for you to believe, such as saying that an older receiver can be better than a modern receiver is forming an opinion based on misconception.

I'll post this article again and hopefully you can understand that older technology isn't always obsolete when it comes to sound production:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20082026-47/how-can-30-year-old-receivers-sound-better-than-new-ones/

HDTV: Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685
Receiver: Sony STR-DA80ES
Blu-ray Player: Playstation 3
Power Center: Monster HDP 1800
RomanBlade86 is offline  
post #6766 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Member
 
zoomzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Roman, I don't think anyone is upset that an inexpensive Sony receiver sounds better in your setup than the Onkyo. If I understand you correctly you have a 2 speaker setup. Is that correct? If so, what made you think that you wanted a multi channel AVR? Why would you buy a product with features you would never use? I guess that's where I am lost in this story. If I were only going to listen to stereo music I would rather have a record player into a tube amp. But that's just me
zoomzilla is offline  
post #6767 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Member
 
thatguyhileman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think the hard part to understand is Roman's comments seem to be dogmatic where as the others aren't.

Roman: The Sony crushes this thing...my relative said it's junk...blah, blah, blah.
Everyone else: Have you tried this...have you tried that...I think it needs more tweaking...etc
thatguyhileman is offline  
post #6768 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
migraine24-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Centerville Ia
Posts: 703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanBlade86 View Post

Look, I know some people may get upset that a sub $200 Sony receiver from 1997 trounces on an Onkyo 818 that they paid good money for but that's the way it is. Newer isn't always better but people are incapable of accepting it. How can a 17 year old Sony receiver be better than an HDMI feature packed all-in-one gimmick box? Well, one was built for sound quality and the other was built to be a gimmick box with Pandora and other features. I thought all of those fancy features would be fun but now I realize they jam-packed it with gimmicks to get your mind off the compromised sound quality. The Sony receiver, while old, was built for one thing only: to produce beautiful sound without any gimmicks. To me it's a serious piece of audio equipment.

There's no need to get upset about it but accepting it would be hard because you didn't hear them side by side like I did when plugged into two B&W 685s. I heard it first hand and I also have a witness who has been around this hobby for a long time and knows his stuff while I just got into all of this while building my first setup.

I keep referring to my relative and his opinion as a reference in this matter because he has spent thousands and thousands on audio equipment and his been around the block when it comes to this equipment and thought the Onkyo 818 was junk and has a cheap sound when coming from my speakers. Hey, maybe that's how a lot of modern receivers sound today, I really don't know as I just got into this whole thing and the Onkyo is the receiver that I bought. What I can say is an old Sony receiver crushes the fancy Onkyo 818 when doing a sound comparison on a pair of B&W 685s.

I do have an opinion and I say a 1997 Sony receiver without a doubt crushes the Onkyo 818. I also heard it first hand but since I'm new to this whole hobby I'm also vouching that someone who has been around this hobby for a long has also said this because my opinion may not mean as much as his when it comes to audio equipment and sound production. I would expect some people to misinterpret a lot of things as they only focus on certain parts of my post while ignoring the others. I'm not saying you shouldn't like your Onkyo but to blatantly ride off someone's opinion because they say something that is hard for you to believe, such as saying that an older receiver can be better than a modern receiver is forming an opinion based on misconception.

I'll post this article again and hopefully you can understand that older technology isn't always obsolete when it comes to sound production:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20082026-47/how-can-30-year-old-receivers-sound-better-than-new-ones/

Wow! So it went from being not as good to a "gimmick box". You obviously don't know much about the "gimmicks" that are included on the 818 and how they work. (When properly setup, that is) Again spending thousands of dollars makes no one a expert. It simple means they spend money. One question, have you made any adjustments to the Sony receiver or is it running as it would straight out of the box? If you made adjustments to it, why wouldn't the Onkyo need the same treatment. I also don't know how a judgement can be made in two short days. You have more time to play with it, so take advantage of that time. You might surprise yourself. I feel you just don't want to spend the time. But you should've known from your "audiophile" that nothing comes out of the box perfectly tuned for everyone. Does he make adjustments to his components? If he is a true "audiophile" the answer is yes. And they typically tinker constantly. So why did he pull the plug on the 818 so fast. Could it be because he was against it from the beginning. Either way I'm done with this discussion. I wish you luck in your future av purchases, because I feel your really going to need it.

GO BLUE
migraine24-7 is offline  
post #6769 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Senior Member
 
eah9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

Wow! So it went from being not as good to a "gimmick box". You obviously don't know much about the "gimmicks" that are included on the 818 and how they work. (When properly setup, that is) Again spending thousands of dollars makes no one a expert. It simple means they spend money. One question, have you made any adjustments to the Sony receiver or is it running as it would straight out of the box? If you made adjustments to it, why wouldn't the Onkyo need the same treatment. I also don't know how a judgement can be made in two short days. You have more time to play with it, so take advantage of that time. You might surprise yourself. I feel you just don't want to spend the time. But you should've known from your "audiophile" that nothing comes out of the box perfectly tuned for everyone. Does he make adjustments to his components? If he is a true "audiophile" the answer is yes. And they typically tinker constantly. So why did he pull the plug on the 818 so fast. Could it be because he was against it from the beginning. Either way I'm done with this discussion. I wish you luck in your future av purchases, because I feel your really going to need it.

I have been following this thread for a while and almost purchased the 818. Decided not to for now but might when a sale happens again.

Do any owners find the sound quality and bass to be really great (after running xt32 etc...)? Just trying to change the topic around and certain respondents..., if you know what I mean.... wink.gif

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
eah9 is offline  
post #6770 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
migraine24-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Centerville Ia
Posts: 703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by eah9 View Post

I have been following this thread for a while and almost purchased the 818. Decided not to for now but might when a sale happens again.

Do any owners find the sound quality and bass to be really great (after running xt32 etc...)? Just trying to change the topic around and certain respondents..., if you know what I mean.... wink.gif

Agree, topic change is in order. biggrin.gif And yes I am more than happy with my 818. But I feel with even more time with it and a few more adjustments it'll be even better. smile.gif

GO BLUE
migraine24-7 is offline  
post #6771 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Senior Member
 
eah9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by eah9 View Post

I have been following this thread for a while and almost purchased the 818. Decided not to for now but might when a sale happens again.

Do any owners find the sound quality and bass to be really great (after running xt32 etc...)? Just trying to change the topic around and certain respondents..., if you know what I mean.... wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

Agree, topic change is in order. biggrin.gif And yes I am more than happy with my 818. But I feel with even more time with it and a few more adjustments it'll be even better. smile.gif

Thanks for the reply. Do you use it for more for music or movies? I am 50/50 music/movies.

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
eah9 is offline  
post #6772 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Member
 
RPGMasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hurst, TX
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eah9 View Post

I have been following this thread for a while and almost purchased the 818. Decided not to for now but might when a sale happens again.

Do any owners find the sound quality and bass to be really great (after running xt32 etc...)? Just trying to change the topic around and certain respondents..., if you know what I mean.... wink.gif

depends what you have it hooked into it, i think.

Me, i have Infinity Primus 5.1 (P363s front, P351 center and 163s surround) and with SVS SB12-NSD. yes, i had to tweak some things after running Audyssey in 8 positions, mainly the subwoofer gain. most people will tell you to run the sub "hot" (+dB) but as i was just learning, i didn't know i could/should tinker with things after Audyssey made it's settings. I actually did not believe my sub was a $650 piece of equipment until i went to the SVS owner's thread and got some suggestions from neutro and other AVSers. it can be frustrating at first, as the Onkyo 818 is more advanced than a basic Pioneer/Yamaha/Denon from Best Buy, but i certainly am not having any buyer's remorse.

NOTE: I used a Pio 1022-K, Yamaha 573 and Denon 2313 all within 30 days of getting my 818. the Pio was returned because of video dropout issues, the Yamaha was ok, but not enough features, and the Denon 2313 fried in one week, would not come out of protect mode. Ironically, I was coming from a 20 yr old Sony.

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
RPGMasta is offline  
post #6773 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
eah9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by eah9 View Post


Thanks for the reply. Do you use it for more for music or movies? I am 50/50 music/movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMasta View Post

depends what you have it hooked into it, i think.

Me, i have Infinity Primus 5.1 (P363s front, P351 center and 163s surround) and with SVS SB12-NSD. yes, i had to tweak some things after running Audyssey in 8 positions, mainly the subwoofer gain. most people will tell you to run the sub "hot" (+dB) but as i was just learning, i didn't know i could/should tinker with things after Audyssey made it's settings. I actually did not believe my sub was a $650 piece of equipment until i went to the SVS owner's thread and got some suggestions from neutro and other AVSers. it can be frustrating at first, as the Onkyo 818 is more advanced than a basic Pioneer/Yamaha/Denon from Best Buy, but i certainly am not having any buyer's remorse.

NOTE: I used a Pio 1022-K, Yamaha 573 and Denon 2313 all within 30 days of getting my 818. the Pio was returned because of video dropout issues, the Yamaha was ok, but not enough features, and the Denon 2313 fried in one week, would not come out of protect mode. Ironically, I was coming from a 20 yr old Sony.

Thanks for the reply. Nice setup, by the way. I will be getting the SVS PB1000 for my HT space. So the 818 not only had the features but a good rich sound? I just want to get many opinions. I was hoping the xt32 was a huge step forward and even though the 818 doesn't have sub eq it does a great job. Do you think it does?

And you were in good hands with Neutro - he is a fantastic resource.

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
eah9 is offline  
post #6774 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
migraine24-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Centerville Ia
Posts: 703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by eah9 View Post


Thanks for the reply. Do you use it for more for music or movies? I am 50/50 music/movies.

I use mine for 50% sports on tv, 35% gaming, 10% movies and 5% music. I have Polk 75T for fronts and Polk 25C for center. I'm using Bose for my heights and surrounds and powered sub. These will be upgraded next. My display is a Mitsubishi HC6800 on a 159" DaLite pearlescent screen.

GO BLUE
migraine24-7 is offline  
post #6775 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Senior Member
 
eah9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

I use mine for 50% sports on tv, 35% gaming, 10% movies and 5% music. I have Polk 75T for fronts and Polk 25C for center. I'm using Bose for my heights and surrounds and powered sub. These will be upgraded next. My display is a Mitsubishi HC6800 on a 159" DaLite pearlescent screen.

Thanks!! 159" screen....wow....Realistic for gaming I am sure. Cool.

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
eah9 is offline  
post #6776 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
migraine24-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Centerville Ia
Posts: 703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by eah9 View Post

Thanks!! 159" screen....wow....Realistic for gaming I am sure. Cool.

I also have a Darbee Darblet to help tune the pic quality.

GO BLUE
migraine24-7 is offline  
post #6777 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Senior Member
 
eah9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

I also have a Darbee Darblet to help tune the pic quality.

I read those really help. Nice.

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
eah9 is offline  
post #6778 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Member
 
RPGMasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hurst, TX
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eah9 View Post


Thanks for the reply. Nice setup, by the way. I will be getting the SVS PB1000 for my HT space. So the 818 not only had the features but a good rich sound? I just want to get many opinions. I was hoping the xt32 was a huge step forward and even though the 818 doesn't have sub eq it does a great job. Do you think it does?

And you were in good hands with Neutro - he is a fantastic resource.

thanks, i'm already looking for my front upgrades after less than 6 months, this might be a bad habit for me to adopt.
the PB1000 i'm sure will be amazing, but two would be better :P

well, i may not know what full and rich sounds like to you, but to me, it's certainly not an empty sound. i'm certain if i had higher quality speakers, i'd have a better quality sound. i think i mean that i don't think it's laid back, i think it could be more forward with better speakers.
I don't have much experience in the field, but i'm not disappointed with my receiver at all.
I am probably 85% music/15% television,sports and movies. Rush would be my favorite band and most of my listening enjoyment, via CD, DLNA FLACs or Time Machine 2011 concert Blu-Ray. All the formats sound great to me. Country (Clint Black/Brooks & Dunn), other classic rock (AC/DC, Zeppelin) , new rock (Metallica), hip-hop (east and west and southern - Eminem/Jay-Z/Ludacris/2Pac), abd Classical would be other entertaining to me and any quality issues i perceive i definitely blame on the recording. I listen in 2.1 stereo, fronts crossed at 100Hz (currently, up from 80Hz) most of the time with no DynamicEQ or music optimizer. I do use Pure or Direct later at night when the sub is too much and still some nice bass produced from the Primus 363 (2x6.5")

Streaming from Spotify isn't perfect, honestly, but functional and useable. DLNA has been very stable for me. not much experience with the other internet services.

neutro is very helpful, but so are many others around here. i hate to leave them out, but neutro's walls of text are unforgettable. smile.gif

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
RPGMasta is offline  
post #6779 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Member
 
shift_grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanBlade86 View Post

Look, I know some people may get upset that a sub $200 Sony receiver from 1997 trounces on an Onkyo 818 that they paid good money for but that's the way it is. Newer isn't always better but people are incapable of accepting it. How can a 17 year old Sony receiver be better than an HDMI feature packed all-in-one gimmick box? Well, one was built for sound quality and the other was built to be a gimmick box with Pandora and other features. I thought all of those fancy features would be fun but now I realize they jam-packed it with gimmicks to get your mind off the compromised sound quality. The Sony receiver, while old, was built for one thing only: to produce beautiful sound without any gimmicks. To me it's a serious piece of audio equipment.

There's no need to get upset about it but accepting it would be hard because you didn't hear them side by side like I did when plugged into two B&W 685s/

You really need to stop stating your opinion like it is fact. It's much like a child would do and makes it very hard to take you seriously - and THAT'S the way it is.

Just because it's newer and a competitive piece of equipment in its market with its features does not mean it is a gimmick box. It's a relatively expensive piece of equipment that has gotten very high reviews. Just because it does a lot of things, doesn't mean it's not good at any of them.

So just stop trying to convince everyone that the wool has been pulled over their eyes and they should scour garage sales for some defunct Sony gear if they want to be a true audiophile. From reading this thread it sounds like you didn't know how to set your equipment up.

You should probably start your own Sony 80es thread and discuss there.
BarracudaDelGato likes this.
shift_grind is offline  
post #6780 of 9843 Old 05-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Member
 
BWD69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just want to come in and say that I'm really loving my 818, it sounds great, to me! I came from a Sony 5200ES before that a Denon 3805 and a Sony 5ES all wonderful in my mind! I have owned others, but since I got my Klipsh reference 35 5.1setup, these are what I've used! Did any of the Sony's or Denon blow away the 818? NO! Spending many thousands of dollars on my equipment over the past 35/40 years doesn't make me an audiophile, but then again, I can't tell the difference between big dollar "SCARY NAME" brand cables and "monoprice" cables! LOL I buy what I like, not what others tell me to buy! wink.gif
migraine24-7 likes this.
BWD69 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off