Forum Jump: 

post #6931 of 9816 Old 05-15-2013, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzilla View Post

Not a dig at you at all. I was just laughing about my idiot coworker and his lame brained idea about cable and capacitor break in. Ooh, I should sell him some stuff. I have a broken AVR that I could probably tell him it's in the "Zone" right now and refuses to turn on during this important time. Once it is ready to come out of the zone it will turn back on. And when it does turn on, it will be the most epic AVR in the world. Sad thing is, he would probably buy it.

NP - I just wasn't sure if it was a dig so I wanted to clarify....That's funny stuff about that guy....Maybe too much time on his hands...

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 9816 Old 05-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

For those still on the fence, here's a thread about the new 828 and why you should run to get any remaining 818 units still available;

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472808/onkyo-2013-mid-range-nr-828-is-here

Onkyo is apparently doing a little it of "Model Number Inflation".

The 828 is more like the 717, the 626 is more like the 515, The 525 like the 414. The 424? Looks like it's gone.

I just got a 626 here to test and the thing doesn't even have THX. The 616 and 609 certainly do. The 500-series? No.
post #6933 of 9816 Old 05-15-2013, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just ordered my 818 to replace my SR674, looking forward to a big improvement in sound :-) now I have gone from DVD to bluray HD with my 7,2 speakers.... I have looked through many posts here but wanted to ask any quick tips? I saw a firmware (USB update only) on the Onkyo website 2/28 so have that ready to load. Will be using in dedicated theater so only movie watching, any set up tips would be great. btw best price I could find was $799 on amazon, sounds like I missed the great offer from Newegg :-( but I still think this unit is worth that price from what I read!
post #6934 of 9816 Old 05-15-2013, 07:09 PM

Liked: 11
To everyone thinking about buying the 818, don't do it. The new models are starting to show up.

Once you get networking working on the 818 and xt32 and..., you'll want a second or third, it has a lot going for it. Buy an 828 instead. You'll be soooo happy you'll just buy one.

Trust me, if I could afford it I'd buy a second 818 today. Its an addictive product. Save yourself and buy an 828, no addiction there, and maybe there will still be an 818 at one call next month when my tax refund hits...
post #6935 of 9816 Old 05-15-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 423
According to the link above, the new 828 is a step down from the 818. You'd better wait for the presumed 929 which would perhaps be closer in specs to the 818. The 929 hasn't been announced yet to my knowledge.

post #6936 of 9816 Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetku View Post

To everyone thinking about buying the 818, don't do it. The new models are starting to show up.

Once you get networking working on the 818 and xt32 and..., you'll want a second or third, it has a lot going for it. Buy an 828 instead. You'll be soooo happy you'll just buy one.

Trust me, if I could afford it I'd buy a second 818 today. Its an addictive product. Save yourself and buy an 828, no addiction there, and maybe there will still be an 818 at one call next month when my tax refund hits...

whatever u r smoking, u need to take a break biggrin.gif
post #6937 of 9816 Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

Onkyo is apparently doing a little it of "Model Number Inflation".

The 828 is more like the 717, the 626 is more like the 515, The 525 like the 414. The 424? Looks like it's gone.

I just got a 626 here to test and the thing doesn't even have THX. The 616 and 609 certainly do. The 500-series? No.

NR-828 is a HUGE step backward from its predecessor, NR-818

ONKYO is falling apart ?

RF61ii's
RC42ii
WS24's
RW-10D subwoofer
ONKYO AVR TX NR818
Oppo BDP-103
Cyber Power PFC 1500VA UPS
LG 55in 240hz LED 55LM7600 TV
post #6938 of 9816 Old 05-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettmr View Post

There have been cuts in features and a definite shift downward with the models.

The latest discovery is that the 626 and up do not support connecting an iPod or iPhone via the USB port. It's "unsupported". You have Bluetooth and DLNA streaming which has its own advantages, but cutting this feature does not really make sense considering a lot of people own either an Android or iOS device.

If you want to connect such a device, you can with the DS-A5 dock - at $200. But it grants you little advantage - AirPlay mainly - over USB. It works like crap with the lightning port iOS devices.
post #6939 of 9816 Old 05-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePC View Post

NR-828 is a HUGE step backward from its predecessor, NR-818

ONKYO is falling apart ?

Just cause it starts with an '8' doesn't mean it has any parity with the 818. Besides, there wasn't a '9' series last year, this year there is. I'm sure once the 929 details emerge, all questions will be answered.
As rworne puts it, "Model Number Inflation".
post #6940 of 9816 Old 05-15-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:

I agree. 828 looks like a huge step down and in hindsight, the 818 will look like an even better bargain to get XT32 and decent amps then we already knew it was.

Denon X4000 also looks VERY interesting. If it drops to a more reasonable price I might be tempted to turn traitor and upgrade out of my 828.
post #6941 of 9816 Old 05-15-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:

I thought I'd be happy moving my old avr to the basement, but Pandora with the onkyo remote app is so nice on the 818 I really want that feature in the basement workout area as well.

Trading up from an old s-video avr makes you want more. New sub woofers are currently on order as well as sides for transitioning from 5.0 to 7.2. I'm not sure I'll be happy moving old equipment downstairs, so maybe I can make use of multi zone on the 818 instead.

Guess I'm just smoking tunes from the 70's and I feel good. But its hitting the bank hard, so your right. I'm taking a break till the refund gets here.

Doesn't need to be another 818 and could just be a remote amp, but definitely will have networking.

The note was tounge in cheek to make sure people don't pass by the 818 just because its last years model. It has a lot to offer.
post #6942 of 9816 Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
This happens consistently with Onkyo. I bought a TX-NR805 because the 806 specs were downgraded. I bought the 805 for $450 and then the 806 specs where released and the price of the 805 went back up to MSRP. I could see this happening with the 818. Maybe not too MSRP but I could see it go up. It happens almost every model cycle. Glad I got my 818 for $700.biggrin.gif

GO BLUE
post #6943 of 9816 Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

This happens consistently with Onkyo. I bought a TX-NR805 because the 806 specs were downgraded. I bought the 805 for $450 and then the 806 specs where released and the price of the 805 went back up to MSRP. I could see this happening with the 818. Maybe not too MSRP but I could see it go up. It happens almost every model cycle. Glad I got my 818 for $700.biggrin.gif

Not just Onkyo but every manufacturer seems to do this. Receivers used to be big and beefy, tons of power, tons of inputs and outputs. Obviously, there were always lower end models. But, in the last few years, it seems like every company strips away more inputs and outputs, drops power specs and size, nerfs the amps and power supply, then adds a dozen streaming options and 30 sound modes. Seriously, I wish receivers were like the used to be... they were receivers. Now, they take away all kinds of stuff and bloat 'em up with little bells and whistles that most people could live without. The other day, with my receiver, I was cycling through sound fields, modes, decoding methods, etc... Seriously, there must have been twenty different ones.

I wish companies would offer one model in their lineup that was just pure power, tons of inputs and drop all the other crap. It's so funny to me, so many topics and posts for every brand that say things like, "Can't get firmware to update", "Streaming services won't work", "Surround modes not working right"... Receivers these days have more bugs than a computer, because they're barely receivers anymore. They take away power, and build quality and give you tons of crap that even some advanced home theater users will never touch. That said, I know technology has to advance, but geez... cool.gif

I know everyone is different and the bells and whistles are important to some people, but damn, just give me the choice of at least, a single, newer model that's just a beast, loaded with power and inputs and drop all the other misc crap.
Bikerduck likes this.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #6944 of 9816 Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

Not just Onkyo but every manufacturer seems to do this. Receivers used to be big and beefy, tons of power, tons of inputs and outputs. Obviously, there were always lower end models. But, in the last few years, it seems like every company strips away more inputs and outputs, drops power specs and size, nerfs the amps and power supply, then adds a dozen streaming options and 30 sound modes. Seriously, I wish receivers were like the used to be... they were receivers. Now, they take away all kinds of stuff and bloat 'em up with little bells and whistles that most people could live without. The other day, with my receiver, I was cycling through sound fields, modes, decoding methods, etc... Seriously, there must have been twenty different ones.

I wish companies would offer one model in their lineup that was just pure power, tons of inputs and drop all the other crap. It's so funny to me, so many topics and posts for every brand that say things like, "Can't get firmware to update", "Streaming services won't work", "Surround modes not working right"... Receivers these days have more bugs than a computer, because they're barely receivers anymore. They take away power, and build quality and give you tons of crap that even some advanced home theater users will never touch. That said, I know technology has to advance, but geez... cool.gif

I know everyone is different and the bells and whistles are important to some people, but damn, just give me the choice of at least, a single, newer model that's just a beast, loaded with power and inputs and drop all the other misc crap.

There are products like that out there. Look at some of the NAD AVRs. Very feature light, but very robust and capable amps. The problem is, when people start spending that kind of money they (usually) want features like Audyssey XT32, etc, and the AVRs that focus primarily on basic switching and higher end amplifier performance don't deliver those features.

So, I guess what I'm saying is you can get exactly what you want, give up the features and get an AVR with a monster power supply and higher end amplifiers.
post #6945 of 9816 Old 05-15-2013, 09:33 PM

I am using a USB drive plugged into the front USB port on my 818. i use this as a source for my zone 2 feed.

Is there any risk of damage to the 818 if I keep this running all the time?

post #6946 of 9816 Old 05-16-2013, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

Quote:

Totally agree! Give me inputs, outputs, power, COUPLE sound modes etc, and room calibration and I'm fine. I would love a poll in which each feature is voted on as to its usage. I bet many features are used by less than 10% of end users. And if you have a end user who uses every single feature regularly they will be willing to spend the money for said receiver. But we consumers need to stop thinking that the market is driven by our buying choices. IT ISN'T! Believe me. I was in the retail business for over 22 years. WE decided what you would buy, not you. Even if something sold well but had low profit margins it was scuttled. The same happens in every retail sector. The 818 has gotten glowing reviews by professions and end users alike. So why make such drastic changes? Gotta be $$$$. No other reason. If this receiver had a great profit margin then Onkyo would've added something new to the 828 to differentiate it and moved on counting the cash. IMO

GO BLUE
post #6947 of 9816 Old 05-16-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post

Just cause it starts with an '8' doesn't mean it has any parity with the 818. Besides, there wasn't a '9' series last year, this year there is. I'm sure once the 929 details emerge, all questions will be answered.

Agreed. Model #s aren't the key when comparing - look at the price.

Let's wait to see what is delivered at the 818's SRP before complaining about decontenting.
post #6948 of 9816 Old 05-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post

Agreed. Model #s aren't the key when comparing - look at the price.

Let's wait to see what is delivered at the 818's SRP before complaining about decontenting.

I agree that you need to compare price and feature list. But why confuse your customer base? Makes no sense at all. Each model number series should be for a certain level of customer. Not only do you need to reeducate your customers but your retailers also.

GO BLUE
post #6949 of 9816 Old 05-16-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

I agree that you need to compare price and feature list. But why confuse your customer base? Makes no sense at all. Each model number series should be for a certain level of customer. Not only do you need to reeducate your customers but your retailers also.

From our perspective I can't disagree with that smile.gif.

To the broader market where customers & retailers are clueless it's not as damaging to play with the #s. If they did this in the CI/high-end targeted models (1000+), then it certainly would require some head scratching. If there is a 929 this year it they have to clear space somewhere.
post #6950 of 9816 Old 05-16-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

There are products like that out there. Look at some of the NAD AVRs. Very feature light, but very robust and capable amps. The problem is, when people start spending that kind of money they (usually) want features like Audyssey XT32, etc, and the AVRs that focus primarily on basic switching and higher end amplifier performance don't deliver those features.

So, I guess what I'm saying is you can get exactly what you want, give up the features and get an AVR with a monster power supply and higher end amplifiers.

I know there are some options available... I just hate how every year, every model, from every company seems to get stripped of build quality, heft, and physical features. I know companies are always looking to produce things cheaper. That's the name of the game, spend less money and make more money. It just sucks. I guess that's what separates are for... Get a preamp with the few bells and whistles that you want and get a beast of an amp. I just miss receivers like the 805, that were just beastly, monsters. Obviously, there are still monster receivers available, but they come with so much bloatware now.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #6951 of 9816 Old 05-16-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDErickson84088 View Post

I am using a USB drive plugged into the front USB port on my 818. i use this as a source for my zone 2 feed.

Is there any risk of damage to the 818 if I keep this running all the time?

Why would there be? Also if you don't already use the back USB port, it could be handy if you don't want a USB key sticking out of the front and preventing you from closing the front panel.

post #6952 of 9816 Old 05-16-2013, 10:26 AM

Liked: 25
I'm pretty sure the rear USB port acts strange with a USB stick, it did with me.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #6953 of 9816 Old 05-16-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

I'm pretty sure the rear USB port acts strange with a USB stick, it did with me.

I haven't tried either. But could you elaborate on the issue? I'd like to know before I try anything.

post #6954 of 9816 Old 05-16-2013, 11:02 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

I haven't tried either. But could you elaborate on the issue? I'd like to know before I try anything.

I am using a Bluetooth adapter in the back USB slot so I have to use the front. I bought an ultra low profile USB drive which I hope allows the door to close.

I have tried using the NET sources for feeds to zone 2 and 3 but they are horribly unreliable. They will work for a day or 2 but then stop and then you have to go in and reset them and start them again. Very annoying. I am trying the USB stick to see if its more reliable than the NET sources.

Currently I have the USB stick as zone 3 and an FM station as zone 2.
post #6955 of 9816 Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

It seems a lot slower. I know the AV is slow switching MP3 tracks, but in the rear port I remember it being much slower.

edit: The rear port works fine with a network adapter.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

post #6956 of 9816 Old 05-16-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

The idea of using a low profile key in front is a good one I think. The NET sources could probably be more responsive, but then again, connecting to any net radio station is never immediate in the first place (connection, buffering, etc.). As for reliability, in my own experience, the 818 is okay. All problems I experienced were in retrospect attributable to my network (internet connection, router, LAN wiring, etc.). What is frustrating is that you just don't know it's not the 818 that is at fault. It would be nice if a warning could show up (say in the NET menu) saying that internet connection has been lost.

post #6957 of 9816 Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 AM

Liked: 15
Just pulled the trigger on an Open Box 818 from ONECALL on Amazon.
Great! Price! plus interest free payments for 12 months from Amazon.
I am Super Excited!!!
I could talk more but I have to go stand by the front door and wait for the UPS guy to show up!
biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #6958 of 9816 Old 05-16-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

I have read that the rear port is USB 1.1, while the front is USB 2.0.
post #6959 of 9816 Old 05-16-2013, 08:17 PM

That must be it then. Thanks.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

post #6960 of 9816 Old 05-17-2013, 08:47 AM

Liked: 12
Has anyone tried the 4K upconv with a Seiki?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page