Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 235 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

rworne's Avatar rworne
09:20 PM Liked: 30
post #7021 of 10081
05-22-2013 | Posts: 842
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixil8 View Post

Has anyone bought the Onkyo DS-A5 airplay dock?
http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/accessories/ri-dock/ds-a5/index.html

Can you please advise if it's worth the money and your thoughts on it?

Cheers.

I did. In a nutshell: It's a total waste of money and Onkyo should be embarrassed. Check out my review on Amazon smile.gif

Get an Apple TV for half the price. You'll thank me (and the others here who recommended it).

The only type of system that the DS-A5 would be good for is any AVR that only has composite inputs. So it's great for my 1990 Yamaha, but it sucks for anything else. It only streams music over wireless, you need to dock it for video. Video is composite only (yes, composite) and I doubt anything copy-protected will work with it.
Spacetronaut's Avatar Spacetronaut
09:35 PM Liked: 10
post #7022 of 10081
05-22-2013 | Posts: 9
Joined: Nov 2008
time to buy myself a supersweet summer vacation present! either this 818 or a new television........decisons decisions.......time 2 spend all night researching avsforum ^_^ cept i wouldnt want to get 818 if 828 is around the bend...........then again i def wanna oled or 4k television wich will probly be out within a yr..... hmmmmmmm which way to go ahhhhhhhh
Dracore's Avatar Dracore
09:44 PM Liked: 10
post #7023 of 10081
05-22-2013 | Posts: 62
Joined: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacetronaut View Post

time to buy myself a supersweet summer vacation present! either this 818 or a new television........decisons decisions.......time 2 spend all night researching avsforum ^_^ cept i wouldnt want to get 818 if 828 is around the bend...........then again i def wanna oled or 4k television wich will probly be out within a yr..... hmmmmmmm which way to go ahhhhhhhh

You're falling behind in technology news :P

828 has already been announced and it is a step down from the 818.
The 929 is more of a successor of the 818.

4k tVs are already available to purchase. In fact, my local Best Buy has a Sony 65" 4K TV for sale already.
rishi76's Avatar rishi76
01:01 AM Liked: 12
post #7024 of 10081
05-23-2013 | Posts: 325
Joined: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by benunc View Post

What HDMI input/output are you using on the tv and receiver?

Have you connected the 818 to your router with an ethernet cable and set it up to join your network?

On the receiver, HDMI Main; HDMI 2 on the tv. These are marked for ARC, so no issue there.

And yes, the 818 connects to the router via a switch etc. The same connection works fine with several other units (PS3, Apple TV, Netgear media player).
theoneofgod's Avatar theoneofgod
06:30 AM Liked: 26
post #7025 of 10081
05-23-2013 | Posts: 336
Joined: Jun 2012
There's no word of the 929 yet, so I would just buy the 818, chances are it will be a step down and more money.
Dracore's Avatar Dracore
06:35 AM Liked: 10
post #7026 of 10081
05-23-2013 | Posts: 62
Joined: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

There's no word of the 929 yet, so I would just buy the 818, chances are it will be a step down and more money.

It has been announced already
Patrick Murphy's Avatar Patrick Murphy
06:44 AM Liked: 44
post #7027 of 10081
05-23-2013 | Posts: 795
Joined: Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

There's no word of the 929 yet, so I would just buy the 818, chances are it will be a step down and more money.

Here's the 929 on the Onkyo USA site.

http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR929&class=Receiver&source=prodClass
theoneofgod's Avatar theoneofgod
08:06 AM Liked: 26
post #7028 of 10081
05-23-2013 | Posts: 336
Joined: Jun 2012
Thanks. I thought it would be released but wasn't sure of the specifications.
bobloblaw's Avatar bobloblaw
08:41 AM Liked: 12
post #7029 of 10081
05-23-2013 | Posts: 511
Joined: Oct 2005
Anyone on the fence about picking one of these up should check out the thread in the Great Deals Found area. Onkyo is offering a nice discount on refurb units right now.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1418870/onkyo-tx-nr818-949-88/480#post_23344411
benunc's Avatar benunc
11:05 AM Liked: 17
post #7030 of 10081
05-23-2013 | Posts: 289
Joined: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi76 View Post

On the receiver, HDMI Main; HDMI 2 on the tv. These are marked for ARC, so no issue there.

And yes, the 818 connects to the router via a switch etc. The same connection works fine with several other units (PS3, Apple TV, Netgear media player).

Hmm, I'm not sure. Can't help but think it's a settings problem though.


Are you sure you have RIHD enabled and ARC set to Auto under the Hardware Settings menu? What input are you trying to use?...TV/CD?

Did you set up the network using the Initial Setup menu? Do you have DHCP enabled on your router? If not, I think there's some manual configuration you need to do. Check the manual.
pixil8's Avatar pixil8
04:36 PM Liked: 12
post #7031 of 10081
05-23-2013 | Posts: 11
Joined: Mar 2013
Apple TV works beautifully for enabling airplay on the NR818 and a fraction of the price of that stupid Onkyo dock. Very happy to now have the option of airplay and am surprised to see that the new 929 still doesn't have it built in!
fumoffu's Avatar fumoffu
11:46 AM Liked: 11
post #7032 of 10081
05-24-2013 | Posts: 119
Joined: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixil8 View Post

Has anyone bought the Onkyo DS-A5 airplay dock?
http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/accessories/ri-dock/ds-a5/index.html

Can you please advise if it's worth the money and your thoughts on it?

Cheers.

I use an older Apple Airport Express for streaming iTunes music. It's also 100$. It has analog output, unlike the AppleTV, so if you just want audio for multiple zones it's the way to go. You can also configure it a wireless to ethernet bridge, and many other networking things.
GoldenBoy's Avatar GoldenBoy
07:49 PM Liked: 13
post #7033 of 10081
05-24-2013 | Posts: 1,196
Joined: Dec 2003
I've been posting my discontent with Onkyo's lack of support for gapless playback on their support forum, and also taking them to task for trying to push it off as an undocumented "feature" that they need not address, because they never claimed it as a feature. Never mind that gapless playback has been done and expected on musical devices dating all the way back to the Victrola, for crying out loud. rolleyes.gif
haroldgutierrez's Avatar haroldgutierrez
08:35 AM Liked: 10
post #7034 of 10081
05-25-2013 | Posts: 34
Joined: Jul 2008
I find my Onkyo 818 too bright sounding, my old 606 doesnt sound like that in fact it's a little warm to my taste. So I wonder if Onkyo has changed their sound signature recently, it's still full bodied but on the bright side.

Any ideas how I can tame the brightness? I set the treble to -10 but I dont think it changed (I think it doesnt work when Audessey is turned ON). I'm using ecosse 2.3 speaker cables.

Thanks!
GoatLocker's Avatar GoatLocker
11:18 AM Liked: 13
post #7035 of 10081
05-25-2013 | Posts: 156
Joined: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldgutierrez View Post

I find my Onkyo 818 too bright sounding, my old 606 doesnt sound like that in fact it's a little warm to my taste. So I wonder if Onkyo has changed their sound signature recently, it's still full bodied but on the bright side.

Any ideas how I can tame the brightness? I set the treble to -10 but I dont think it changed (I think it doesnt work when Audessey is turned ON). I'm using ecosse 2.3 speaker cables.

Thanks!

Some folks have found that raising the microphone a few inches above ear level during setup reduces this issue (an audyssey/room issue, not Onkyo). I think the treble is disabled by THX modes (and Pure/Direct), not Audysssey.
kbarnes701's Avatar kbarnes701
12:08 PM Liked: 2156
post #7036 of 10081
05-25-2013 | Posts: 19,386
Joined: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldgutierrez View Post

I find my Onkyo 818 too bright sounding, my old 606 doesnt sound like that in fact it's a little warm to my taste. So I wonder if Onkyo has changed their sound signature recently, it's still full bodied but on the bright side.

Any ideas how I can tame the brightness? I set the treble to -10 but I dont think it changed (I think it doesnt work when Audessey is turned ON). I'm using ecosse 2.3 speaker cables.

Thanks!

 

The suggestion to re-run Audyssey with the mic in the best position for calibration is a good one. Be sure to read the FAQ and 101 Guide (linked in my sig) for the full skinny on how to get the best from your Audyssey calibration. XT32 is not renowned for making the treble seem too bright. You can check if it is an Audyssey issue by playing a track that currently showcases the problem and switching Audyssey in and out as you listen. If the brightness goes away, it could be an Audyssey issue. If it doesn't, then it probably isn't and you need to look elsewhere. FWIW, I very much doubt if it is the 818 itself that is causing the problem.


hargutierrez's Avatar hargutierrez
12:47 PM Liked: 10
post #7037 of 10081
05-25-2013 | Posts: 5
Joined: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

The suggestion to re-run Audyssey with the mic in the best position for calibration is a good one. Be sure to read the FAQ and 101 Guide (linked in my sig) for the full skinny on how to get the best from your Audyssey calibration. XT32 is not renowned for making the treble seem too bright. You can check if it is an Audyssey issue by playing a track that currently showcases the problem and switching Audyssey in and out as you listen. If the brightness goes away, it could be an Audyssey issue. If it doesn't, then it probably isn't and you need to look elsewhere. FWIW, I very much doubt if it is the 818 itself that is causing the problem.

Can you adjust the treble while Audessey is ON? I set the treble to -10 (while audessey is turned ON) but the brightness didn't seem to change at all.
If YES, then should I hear noticeable change in brightness or just minimal change?

Thanks!
laugsbach's Avatar laugsbach
01:08 PM Liked: 135
post #7038 of 10081
05-25-2013 | Posts: 2,678
Joined: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldgutierrez View Post


Any ideas how I can tame the brightness?


Thanks!

Do you have Dynamic EQ turned on?....if it is on try it without DEQ.
haroldgutierrez's Avatar haroldgutierrez
09:24 PM Liked: 10
post #7039 of 10081
05-25-2013 | Posts: 34
Joined: Jul 2008
I tried without Audessey and the brightness was tamed, still a little bright but less fatiguing to my ears. Does it mean I have to re run Audessey?
NODES's Avatar NODES
11:20 PM Liked: 64
post #7040 of 10081
05-25-2013 | Posts: 736
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldgutierrez View Post

I tried without Audessey and the brightness was tamed, still a little bright but less fatiguing to my ears. Does it mean I have to re run Audessey?

does not hurt to try again, maybe do a factory reset before trying again.
Patrick Murphy's Avatar Patrick Murphy
08:14 AM Liked: 44
post #7041 of 10081
05-26-2013 | Posts: 795
Joined: Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post

Some folks have found that raising the microphone a few inches above ear level during setup reduces this issue (an audyssey/room issue, not Onkyo). I think the treble is disabled by THX modes (and Pure/Direct), not Audysssey.

I was one of them, GoatLocker, and wrote about it many times. Here's a link to my 'fix'.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/6810#post_23285359

If you scroll down a couple of posts, another poster had success with lowering it to fit his situation.

BTW- I still haven't touched the Audyssey mic since I initially did it and that's been months now.
budtz's Avatar budtz
11:37 AM Liked: 12
post #7042 of 10081
05-26-2013 | Posts: 91
Joined: Sep 2009
Does the Remote have direct buttons for enabeling disabeling audessey eq audessey dynamic volume?
caloyzki's Avatar caloyzki
11:39 AM Liked: 46
post #7043 of 10081
05-26-2013 | Posts: 2,160
Joined: Jan 2010
Is Refurb fron onkyo site worth a shot for 500?
zeus33's Avatar zeus33
02:30 PM Liked: 252
post #7044 of 10081
05-26-2013 | Posts: 1,603
Joined: Dec 2012
For guys using the front wides, do you prefer Dolby Z, DTS X or Audyssey DSX?
Patrick Murphy's Avatar Patrick Murphy
02:49 PM Liked: 44
post #7045 of 10081
05-26-2013 | Posts: 795
Joined: Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

For guys using the front wides, do you prefer Dolby Z, DTS X or Audyssey DSX?

I use either NEO:X or DSX. DSX, seems to be more enveloping and I get a lot off screen audio cues with it. NEO:X, not so much, but it seems to blend the fronts and surrounds nicely without really drawing a lot of attention to themselves. Dolby PLIIz is for height speakers, which I don't have.
caloyzki's Avatar caloyzki
03:03 PM Liked: 46
post #7046 of 10081
05-26-2013 | Posts: 2,160
Joined: Jan 2010
How's the hdmi board problems with onkyos? Especially this model?
Ace2377's Avatar Ace2377
03:43 PM Liked: 10
post #7047 of 10081
05-26-2013 | Posts: 181
Joined: Dec 2009
I was considering this 818 when my Onkyo died from the HDMI board issue. I just felt like I couldn't bring myself to put money into an Onkyo again and went with the Pioneer 1522. The thing is, the HDMI board issue seems to occur for most people at 2-1/2 years. This 818 has been out just over a year if I am correct, so it's probably unlikely anyone would have experienced the problem....yet. But I would be curious to hear if anyone who actually has one has experienced any kind of problems so far.
jmpage2's Avatar jmpage2
03:49 PM Liked: 77
post #7048 of 10081
05-26-2013 | Posts: 10,053
Joined: Feb 2005
The 818 is not known for having the hdmi board problems that plagued older generation units. It also runs much cooler which will likely help with longevity.
NODES's Avatar NODES
05:24 PM Liked: 64
post #7049 of 10081
05-26-2013 | Posts: 736
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2377 View Post

I was considering this 818 when my Onkyo died from the HDMI board issue. I just felt like I couldn't bring myself to put money into an Onkyo again and went with the Pioneer 1522. The thing is, the HDMI board issue seems to occur for most people at 2-1/2 years. This 818 has been out just over a year if I am correct, so it's probably unlikely anyone would have experienced the problem....yet. But I would be curious to hear if anyone who actually has one has experienced any kind of problems so far.

Yes usually creep up just shortly before or after warranty expires. I always get the extended warranty with any Onkyo product.
NODES's Avatar NODES
05:27 PM Liked: 64
post #7050 of 10081
05-26-2013 | Posts: 736
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

How's the hdmi board problems with onkyos? Especially this model?


too early to tell.
Tags: Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey

Gear in this thread
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3