post #7112 of 10100 Old 05-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuma View Post

@rworne (quotes don't seem to be working for me)

I bought the app a couple of days ago and I am anxious to try it out with the 818 that is due to arrive tomorrow. I was disapointed to see that the official Onkyo app does not support the iPad or the iPhone 5 resolutions. If you are taking suggestions it would be pretty neat to be able to have custom wallpapers similar to the official Yamaha app. Regardless thanks for bringing an app that fits natively on my iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

LOL. I'm jealous! Actually, if I stacked all of mine, it would look the same. However, my models go waaayyyy back whereas yours are current. I still have my TX-SV717PRO! Still functioning perfectly.

Are all of these used for development of your app? BTW, when are you going to show Android some love? cool.gif

Yes, that is my "working stack" for app development. At this point, I have enough development problems without having to get into another platform (no time) or skinning (no time, too low a priority).

I code the app in my spare time and I pretty much used up all of that over the last two years. Since the current version is (relatively) stable, I'm taking it a bit more slow working on 1.5 - which is a major update. It at least gets in every requested feature - except macros. and the introduction of the oddball CR-N755 and the 626's new message protocols have caused me to take a deep breath, pause and look at it a bit more carefully.

Unlike Onkyo I do not arbitrarily cut off support for certain models. I support *everything* that uses the ISCP protocol, that's well over 120 different receivers, with 10-20 more added every year. I also don't come out with new paid versions either. The first person who bought the app back in October 2010 can still download and run the latest version. Needless to say, the task is now quite large. The only saving grace is Apple forced me to drop iOS 3.X support which made app a bit more easy to maintain when the iPhone 5 came out.

My current dilemma is the time issue: not enough of it. If I were a few years out of college, I'd dump my day job and go on this full time - but at least this "hobby" winds up paying for the new Onkyo AV gear and new iOS gadgets I have to buy every year to keep the app up to date.
EuroMartin likes this.
post #7113 of 10100 Old 05-28-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

I code the app in my spare time and I pretty much used up all of that over the last two years. Since the current version is (relatively) stable, I'm taking it a bit more slow working on 1.5 - which is a major update. It at least gets in every requested feature - except macros. and the introduction of the oddball CR-N755 and the 626's new message protocols have caused me to take a deep breath, pause and look at it a bit more carefully.

How different is it year-to-year? Primarily new features, or does behavior change as well?
post #7114 of 10100 Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

How different is it year-to-year? Primarily new features, or does behavior change as well?

Both.

Initially it connected to a manually-configured receiver
Then it went to UPNP auto-detect
Then UDP auto detect
Then it supported multiple receivers
Then Airplay support
Then can launch external applications
Then it could access the settings menu in the AVR, input things you normally cannot get via the protocol
Added config files for different AVRs instead of coding everything manually

What's in the pipeline for 1.5:
DLNA streaming w/simple playlist support
RI CD controls for the N755
Full-screen song info display
Rewritten GUI (more modular)
Bluetooth, COAX and Optical input support (on the new receivers)
Tuner presets
Pull settings from XML on new receivers
Scrolling menus (iOS like) that support more than 10 items at a time.

Just about everything is done, it's the testing that's taking forever.

It's a very big update.
EuroMartin likes this.
post #7115 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 12:43 AM

Liked: 10
Hi fellow 818 users,

I like to give a scenario to the best of my ability...

I decided to close the windows (cemented the walls) located behind the TV, fronts, center and avr. I also decided to put my svs pb12 beside my left front (in between my fronts) from the corner. I also changed the interconnect of my center preout from bjc subwoofer cable to bjc right stereo cable (white color). Output?

The sound coming out from my center now is soooo much better than before. (stronger, clearer, wider... i can't get the proper term) the difference is like from living room sound to a concert hall sound. (a little exaggerated, smile.gif )

Now, can anybody explain this to me? what caused this change? I don't believe in differences in interconnects but I think I am leaning towards this phenomenon.

Thanks.
post #7116 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 12:44 AM

hello people.
Have been living with my onkyo 805 for many years (since it was released in europe). Funny thing that my 805 is still rock solid biggrin.gif

I was thinking of upgrading to 818 due to xt32, 3d passthrough, 2 hdmi outputs. i expect to get the same performance (if not better)
my question is...is it possible to bypass/disable all the image processing that 818 has? I see no reason to have any kind of image processing when the source is for example a good blu ray player.

Epson TW9000 | kef R100 | kef T101 | kef R200C | Velodyne CHT-10R | Euroscreen 95" 16:9 | Onkyo 818 | Himedia 900A| popcorn A400 | PS3 | Seedbox 24/7 online powered by intel G620, Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3, Gainward GeForce GT430 1024MB DDR3, Fractal Design Define Mini | Samsung UE60ES6100 60" TV |
post #7117 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 01:14 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptBill View Post

hello people.
Have been living with my onkyo 805 for many years (since it was released in europe). Funny thing that my 805 is still rock solid biggrin.gif

I was thinking of upgrading to 818 due to xt32, 3d passthrough, 2 hdmi outputs. i expect to get the same performance (if not better)
my question is...is it possible to bypass/disable all the image processing that 818 has? I see no reason to have any kind of image processing when the source is for example a good blu ray player.

There are two options that I know off. Either you disable every option in the AVR that has some reference to picture. Or as someone told me, you can use the second hdmi out since that one seems to do nothing with the signal at all. On that second hdmi the input lag is also the lowest. Haven't tried that second hdmi out yet since I like to have OSD and such. But with my Oppo-93 I don't want the AVR to do anything with the signal either so I use Through in resolution and Direct in picture mode.
CptBill and MemX like this.
post #7118 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi all.....
I just recently purchased a Onkyo 818 and a Sherbourn PA 5 - 200 Amp.
The Sherbourn has the ability to be triggered on when the 818 is turned on.
It looks like the trigger inputs on the 818 are for Zone 2 & 3 , which I am not using.
My question is , is there any way I can configure the 818 to switch on my Sherbourn??
I cant seem to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #7119 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

What's in the pipeline for 1.5:

(...)

Just about everything is done, it's the testing that's taking forever.
It's a very big update.

An THEN you'll work on the Android version right? biggrin.gif

(Joking, joking)

BTW I'm no Android developer but if someone in here were to try making a remote control app for Onkyo receivers on Android, would you be willing to cooperate? E.g. licensing your base code and app name for a port and eventually sharing profits? Or if you'd like keeping control and have some form of independence (e.g. not having the Android version fall behind or pull forward), would you be willing to share some of your secrets? It seems you have done a lot of very hard reverse engineering work and starting from scratch for an Android app would be a tremendous waste.

Sorry if it's not something you even want to consider. It's just that I'm using Android devices and can only use your app on my GF's iPad, and I really miss it biggrin.gif

post #7120 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by VINYLFREAK4 View Post

Hi all.....
It looks like the trigger inputs on the 818 are for Zone 2 & 3 , which I am not using.
My question is , is there any way I can configure the 818 to switch on my Sherbourn??

YES YOU JUST HAVE TO M"POWER" ON ZONE 2

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #7121 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi76 View Post

Has anyone used this unit with 2013 Panasonic plasmas? I am having a couple issues:

1. ARC does not work even after setting appropriately in both the TV and receiver.
2. "Net" does not seem to work at all. It does not bring up anything on the screen.

Any others having these issues?

This was a brand new unit from Onecall, they even sent another new one as first unit seemed defective, but the new unit is doing the same thing too. I also tried changing the HDMI cable to new 1.4 version from monoprice, but that didn't make any difference.

An update on these issues for others who may run into this:

1. ARC issue turned out to be a Dish Hopper w/ Sling issue, and is a known issue. ARC works fine when I don't have the Hopper connected to the receiver, but stops working as soon as it is added in. Seems there is a Dish update coming soon to fix it.
https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4629
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/303236-Hopper-disrupting-HDMI-communication

2. This turned out to be a conflict with the Mi Casa Verde Z-Wave system I have to control the air conditioner from iPhone.
http://www.missingremote.com/review/onkyo-tx-nr818-72-channel-network-av-receiver
For now, I have moved the MCV behind the guest wireless subnet and it works fine now, but having a couple issues still - a) MCV is a bit slower now, but not a lot. Not a big deal. b) My network seems more unstable than when I did not have it this way. Not sure what is causing this. Will have to try other workarounds.
post #7122 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi76 View Post

2. This turned out to be a conflict with the Mi Casa Verde Z-Wave system I have to control the air conditioner from iPhone.
http://www.missingremote.com/review/onkyo-tx-nr818-72-channel-network-av-receiver
For now, I have moved the MCV behind the guest wireless subnet and it works fine now, but having a couple issues still - a) MCV is a bit slower now, but not a lot. Not a big deal. b) My network seems more unstable than when I did not have it this way. Not sure what is causing this. Will have to try other workarounds.

FWIW, I did it the other way (put the 818 behind the NAT firewall). There are some downsides, but it definitely works better than the other way around (for me).
post #7123 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Ultimately it's Onkyo's fault. Even if the Vera is sending garbage data, it is up to any device that runs on an IP network to have a minimal amount of hardening to junk - something it clearly doesn't have.
Not yet. I pinged Onkyo about this and the 24p issues a couple days ago, my contact is checking w/ engineering.
I picked up a a cheap NAT firewall/router/AP (Linksys something) and connected the AVR to that, and it is connected to the switch in my HT cabinet. The Linksys FW forwards the eISCP (60128) and HTTP (80) ports to the 818 so I can configure and control it from devices on my main network as long as they support manual ip settings (I mostly use the app I wrote). For apps like Onkyo's that rely only on the discovery protocol I switch b/w APs when I want to control it. The main downside to this is that DLNA sources have to be on the same subnet as the 818, so I threw a wireless card in my HTPC and attach it to the Linksys AP.

You could just as easily put the Vera on the quarantined subtnet, I didn't for two reasons: 1) all requests are proxied through MCV's servers (slower when at home) and 2) at the time when I set this up, my alarm panel was far away from the Vera (now they are in the same room) so it was more difficult to work out the port forwarding to make that work w/ the Vera then what I went with.

LMK if you have any more questions, it's not as complex as it probably sounds.

Hi - is there any update on this issue (Vera Mi Casa Verde)? Are you still using the AVR behind the Linksys? If yes, can you pls provide more details on the setup. What mode is the 2nd router in, DHCP on or off etc. I am assuming NAT is on. Do you know if this will work with the iPhone oRemote app?
post #7124 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

YES YOU JUST HAVE TO M"POWER" ON ZONE 2

So there is no way for the Sherbourn to automatically turn on when the 818 powers on?
I will always have to manually power it on with the remote?
post #7125 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 PM

Ok........
So after a little RTFMS wink.gif, I think I can pretty much accomplish this through Macros on the actual Onkyo remote that came with the 818. biggrin.gif
post #7126 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

So there is no way for the Sherbourn to automatically turn on when the 818 powers on?
I will always have to manually power it on with the remote?

This is how I have both of my Emotiva AMPS setup to power on.

other option would be to buy a green power bar that turns on with the master outlet(onkyo in this case)

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #7127 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslan1 View Post

There are two options that I know off. Either you disable every option in the AVR that has some reference to picture. Or as someone told me, you can use the second hdmi out since that one seems to do nothing with the signal at all. On that second hdmi the input lag is also the lowest. Haven't tried that second hdmi out yet since I like to have OSD and such. But with my Oppo-93 I don't want the AVR to do anything with the signal either so I use Through in resolution and Direct in picture mode.

Subout is the only one without any OSD or video processing.

The newer blu ray players come with 2 hdmi (1 for sound/ 1 video direct to tv) out for this very reason.

post #7128 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post

No 4k pass through on the 818 but it does do 4k up scaling, correct? (Trying yo compare to the 929 model...)

surprising it upscales to 4K but will not pass it through rolleyes.gif

post #7129 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok...........I give?
What is the secret to updating the firmware on the 818 using a USB key. I have tried two differant USB keys , the front and back usb ports , and I can not get the 818 to start the update process. The current firmware listed on the 818 is definatly older than the most current version on Onkyos website. The instruction tell me to go to the "Net" section of the menu system. Which Ive done. What am I missing here??????mad.gif

I think you have to do all via ethernet and the last one via USB.

That is what I had to do to get it all updated.

post #7130 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 08:10 PM

Just to let everyone know, I was able to create an Activity Macro on the included Onkyo remote to turn both the 818 and the Sherbourn Amp on at the same time.
Worked like a charm.tongue.gif
post #7131 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just to let everyone know, I was able to create an Activity Macro on the included Onkyo remote to turn both the 818 and the Sherbourn Amp on at the same time.

using zone2/3?

post #7132 of 10100 Old 05-29-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:

Hi all.....

apparently the 5V DC from the rear usb port can be used for this purpose. it looks like the sherbourn supports a 5v trigger, so no conversion is necessary. you could cut a usb cable and put some heat shrink on the unused wires. or, if you wanted a 12v signal, these are cheap on ebay.
i haven't confirmed that the usb is powered on/off with the receiver's power, but i think i recall reading that it is.
-matt
post #7133 of 10100 Old 05-30-2013, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Question is... can the 818 still run in 9.2 with Zone 2/3 turned on?

post #7134 of 10100 Old 05-30-2013, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post

Question is... can the 818 still run in 9.2 with Zone 2/3 turned on?
No.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #7135 of 10100 Old 05-30-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

using zone2/3?

Yes , using Zone 2
post #7136 of 10100 Old 05-30-2013, 07:24 AM

Just got my 818 yesterday from the Onkyo Memorial Day sale. This thing is huge, I was coming from an NR708. I was forced to put this receiver on its own little table to the side of my TV as its taller then 8 inches and didn't fit under my TV.

First I love I can use the ARC from my TV, now I was able to ditch the fiber optic audio cable from the TV to the receiver when watching Netflix etc.

Also oddly enough the receiver didnt come with the latest firmware, so who knows how long it has been sitting at their warehouse. The box said may contain minor cosmetic issues etc, but it looks brand new to me.

Anyways quick question. I ran the speaker setup and it asked me to select the speaker HZ at the end.

it defaulted the front and surround to 50HZ and the Center to 40HZ.

I have the Polk RC65i for the front and surround, the specs say:

Total Frequency Response 32Hz - 20kHz
Upper -3dB Limit 20 kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 60 Hz

Does that mean I set it to 60HZ or 20HZ?

Same for my center speaker I have the Polk CS20 its spec say:

Total Frequency Response 48-25kHz
Upper -3dB Limit 24 kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 58 Hz

So do I set that to 48 or 58?
post #7137 of 10100 Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie411 View Post

Just got my 818 yesterday from the Onkyo Memorial Day sale. This thing is huge, I was coming from an NR708. I was forced to put this receiver on its own little table to the side of my TV as its taller then 8 inches and didn't fit under my TV.

Anyways quick question. I ran the speaker setup and it asked me to select the speaker HZ at the end.

it defaulted the front and surround to 50HZ and the Center to 40HZ.

I have the Polk RC65i for the front and surround, the specs say:

Total Frequency Response 32Hz - 20kHz
Upper -3dB Limit 20 kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 60 Hz

Does that mean I set it to 60HZ or 20HZ?

Same for my center speaker I have the Polk CS20 its spec say:

Total Frequency Response 48-25kHz
Upper -3dB Limit 24 kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 58 Hz

So do I set that to 48 or 58?
What is usually suggested, if you have a sub-woofer, set your front, center and surrounds to 80hz (THX) and adjust from there.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #7138 of 10100 Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 AM

Although with XT32 it isn't needed to raise the crossovers to 80hz according to Audyssey since all have the same high res filter. But I heard many still does and some say their systems sound better. My 818 set 40hz default. Now I'm trying 60hz and will probably try 80 later. I'm not sure if all speakers besides the subwoofer need more headroom for middle and high frequencies that 80hz provide but 40hz sounded kind of narrow.
post #7139 of 10100 Old 05-30-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2583 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslan1 View Post

Although with XT32 it isn't needed to raise the crossovers to 80hz according to Audyssey since all have the same high res filter. But I heard many still does and some say their systems sound better. My 818 set 40hz default. Now I'm trying 60hz and will probably try 80 later. I'm not sure if all speakers besides the subwoofer need more headroom for middle and high frequencies that 80hz provide but 40hz sounded kind of narrow.

That is certainly true wrt to the Audyssey filters. But there are other significant reasons to raise any Audyssey-set XOs to 80Hz, or even higher if the sub is a good one.

See this Audyssey FAQ answer for some of these reasons:

c)2.   Why do I often see advice to raise the Crossovers to 80Hz?

post #7140 of 10100 Old 05-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

What is usually suggested, if you have a sub-woofer, set your front, center and surrounds to 80hz (THX) and adjust from there.

And how about if Audyssey sets the mains to 120,80 and surrounds to 110? Can you bring the others down to 80hz even if Audyssey says not to lower but only raise the crossovers?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread