post #7201 of 9983 Old 06-07-2013, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

You could use the built in 5 band eq.

I would calibrate again, maybe put the microphone a little higher than ear height.

Where can I see the 5 band eq and which frequency do I tweak / change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7202 of 9983 Old 06-07-2013, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldgutierrez View Post

Where can I see the 5 band eq and which frequency do I tweak / change?
"Setup -> Speaker Setup -> Equalizer Settings"

The lower end are bass frequencies, and the higher are treble.

Turning Audyssey to Movies may sound less bright.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #7203 of 9983 Old 06-07-2013, 05:33 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

You could use the built in 5 band eq.

I would calibrate again, maybe put the microphone a little higher than ear height.

Unfortunately if you use the Manual EQ, you must disable Audyssey.

I'd start with your other suggestion - Movie mode - it rolls off the highest frequencies.

Might also want to remove the speaker grills while running Audyssey since they can cause diffraction which might result in Audyssey boosting the upper frequencies; then after running Audyssey, put the grills back on to intentionally reduce upper frequencies.

And experiment with Audyssey mic placement when calibrating - be sure the mic is never too close to a speaker.

Using Manual EQ should be a last resort since you'll also lose the eq for the lower frequencies where's it's likely very much needed.
post #7204 of 9983 Old 06-07-2013, 08:56 AM

Hi guys...just purchased an Onkyo 818 and i'm wondering if there's a setting to SAVE the speaker configurations and listening mode to a certain profile. Yamaha receivers call it 'Setting Pattern' so i'm wondering if there's something similar with Onkyo.

For example, I can change the config from the mic-calibrated levels to my manually set level values with just a press of a button.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
post #7205 of 9983 Old 06-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeSabre View Post

Hi guys...just purchased an Onkyo 818 and i'm wondering if there's a setting to SAVE the speaker configurations and listening mode to a certain profile. Yamaha receivers call it 'Setting Pattern' so i'm wondering if there's something similar with Onkyo.

For example, I can change the config from the mic-calibrated levels to my manually set level values with just a press of a button.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I don't know if this is what you're after but you can save a calibration and then recall it later;

http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#user_a6
SupremeSabre likes this.
post #7206 of 9983 Old 06-07-2013, 11:14 AM

thanks for the reply!

However that method only allows recall of one calibration, and not allowing us to switch back and forth between saved calibrations frown.gif
For example when i watch horror movies on my yamaha receiver I would like a louder centre and rear. Then when i listen to surround music I want the centre back down to original levels. Wonder if there's a way for me to do the same with Onkyo

And just another major difference i spotted with the 818 is that in Pure Audio or Direct Mode, there is NO SUBWOOFER SOUND! how do I turn it on?
post #7207 of 9983 Old 06-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

thanks for the reply!

However that method only allows recall of one calibration, and not allowing us to switch back and forth between saved calibrations frown.gif
For example when i watch horror movies on my yamaha receiver I would like a louder centre and rear. Then when i listen to surround music I want the centre back down to original levels. Wonder if there's a way for me to do the same with Onkyo

And just another major difference i spotted with the 818 is that in Pure Audio or Direct Mode, there is NO SUBWOOFER SOUND! how do I turn it on?

STEREO
post #7208 of 9983 Old 06-07-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:

thanks for the reply!

I'm not aware of a way to save specific trims by source. You might already know this but you can adjust the center and sub trim pretty easily using the Setup button on the remote.

Yeah, unfortunately you lose bass management in Pure/Direct modes so are stuck listening to your mains playing full range. Like Patrick Murphy says, you must use Stereo mode if you want to use the sub; you can then disable Audyssey if you want to get close to those modes (Pure and Direct do not use Audyssey's EQ).
post #7209 of 9983 Old 06-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was just switching through my inputs on my Onkyo 818 and when I get to the Phono input I am getting a loud humming noise. This is when nothing is plugged into the inputs. When i plug my turntable in , the humming is even worse.
My 818 is currently sitting on top of my Sherbourn PA 5-200 Amp. Could this be causing the humming noise?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Tim
post #7210 of 9983 Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by VINYLFREAK4 View Post

I was just switching through my inputs on my Onkyo 818 and when I get to the Phono input I am getting a loud humming noise. This is when nothing is plugged into the inputs. When i plug my turntable in , the humming is even worse.
My 818 is currently sitting on top of my Sherbourn PA 5-200 Amp. Could this be causing the humming noise?
Thanks Tim
Ground loop or bad input probably.
post #7211 of 9983 Old 06-07-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINYLFREAK4 View Post

Thanks Tim
Ground loop or bad input probably.
I haven't used a turntable since the 1980's, but what you're describing sounds like an ungrounded phono input. Isn't there a Ground connector near the phono input on your Onkyo? You need to attach a wire between that connector and your turntable.
post #7212 of 9983 Old 06-08-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benunc View Post

Unfortunately if you use the Manual EQ, you must disable Audyssey.

I'd start with your other suggestion - Movie mode - it rolls off the highest frequencies.

Might also want to remove the speaker grills while running Audyssey since they can cause diffraction which might result in Audyssey boosting the upper frequencies; then after running Audyssey, put the grills back on to intentionally reduce upper frequencies.

And experiment with Audyssey mic placement when calibrating - be sure the mic is never too close to a speaker.

Using Manual EQ should be a last resort since you'll also lose the eq for the lower frequencies where's it's likely very much needed.
So when manual EQ is enabled, and Audyssey, which overrides the other?

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

post #7213 of 9983 Old 06-08-2013, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

So when manual EQ is enabled, and Audyssey, which overrides the other?
It is one or the other. You cannot enable both.
post #7214 of 9983 Old 06-08-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post

It is one or the other. You cannot enable both.
The issue is here, you can't see when EQ is enabled, unless you go to the option. With Audyssey enabled, you see "Audyssey" on the screen?
On my AV right now, Audyssey is on "Music" and EQ is "On"

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

post #7215 of 9983 Old 06-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 38
So....no gapless fix on these new 2013 units either....WOW!
post #7216 of 9983 Old 06-10-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:

The issue is here, you can't see when EQ is enabled, unless you go to the option. With Audyssey enabled, you see "Audyssey" on the screen?
On my AV right now, Audyssey is on "Music" and EQ is "On"

You cannot use Audyssey EQ and Manual EQ at the same time. Here's a quote from the Manual Equalizer section of the user manual: "If “Audyssey” is enabled, it prevails over this setting."
post #7217 of 9983 Old 06-10-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Hi All,

I would like to add an additional power amp to make for 9.1/9.2. I am looking for something small, slim-line & unobtrusive as it is only for a couple of surrounds & therefore I do not want to spend too much. Another poster stated he had great success with the Emotiva Mini-X (which would be ideal size wise) but sadly these are not available in the UK.

I have also noticed that the 818 US & UK models have different power specs for some reason - US stated at 135 watts per channel at 8 Ohms but the UK model states 180 watts at 6 Ohms but with only one channel driven, TBH, this has me very confused as I cannot tell what the UK model "per channel" wattage is & my speakers are 8 Ohms - I do not know what sort of power an external amp should have to match that of a UK 818.

I was also looking at the Onkyo M-5010 & M-282 thinking there would be no matching issues since they are from the same brand but alas, these are not available in the UK either.

As a stop gap measure, I was wondering if something like a Rotel RB-980BX (50 Watts PC at 8 Ohms), RB970BX (2 x 60 Watts at 8 Ohms) or RB907BX (2 x 60 Watts at 8 Ohms) or similar would work well - I like them as they are somewhat low profile & would hopefully not look too out of place with the 818 and can be had used for a reasonable price. My concern is that these are quite old models (probably 1980's) & that technology might be too out of date compared with that of the 818 & cause potential issues?

I am not too clued up on these things so would be very grateful for some help & advice!

Bazzy!
post #7218 of 9983 Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Why not consider a more powerful amp for your mains and let your avr handle all the surround channel amp duties? Just an idea...and as for amp, not sure what pricing is like in the UK but I just picked up some Crown XLS1500 amps and think for 2 channels at 300w/ch (8ohm rating) they're a better value than most amps although not particularly pretty, nor low profile (3.5" high) they're relatively short in length with usual rack width.

I doubt there is a difference in the 818 models between the US & UK, just different methods/practices of advertising power rating.

post #7219 of 9983 Old 06-10-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Why not consider a more powerful amp for your mains and let your avr handle all the surround channel amp duties? Just an idea...and as for amp, not sure what pricing is like in the UK but I just picked up some Crown XLS1500 amps and think for 2 channels at 300w/ch (8ohm rating) they're a better value than most amps although not particularly pretty, nor low profile (3.5" high) they're relatively short in length with usual rack width.

I doubt there is a difference in the 818 models between the US & UK, just different methods/practices of advertising power rating.

Unfortunately the 818 doesn't allow you to use an external amp for mains and its internal amp for a surround channel in a 9 channel system. If you want to run 9 channels, you have to use an external amp for surrounds.
post #7220 of 9983 Old 06-10-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by benunc View Post

Unfortunately the 818 doesn't allow you to use an external amp for mains and its internal amp for a surround channel in a 9 channel system. If you want to run 9 channels, you have to use an external amp for surrounds.

Wow so you can't run an amp for just the front sound stage then do your surrounds on the receiver even in a 5.1 setup? Why would Onkyo do that?

post #7221 of 9983 Old 06-10-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

Wow so you can't run an amp for just the front sound stage then do your surrounds on the receiver even in a 5.1 setup? Why would Onkyo do that?

You can do that. You just can't use the internal front left & right amp to power rear/front/wide surrounds when running 9 channels.

I looked into this when considering going to 9 channels. In order to run 9 channels, you have to add an external amp. I was hoping I could use the amp to power the mains which would benefit most from an external amp and then power the additional surround from the Onkyo (as lovinthehd suggested). From what I found on Onkyo's support site, that's not possible.

To be clear - all channels can be powered with an external amp. Only channels 1-7 can be powered by the Onkyo. The 9th channel (rear, wide, or height surrounds) must be powered by an external amp.
post #7222 of 9983 Old 06-10-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

My bad, didn't realize that!

post #7223 of 9983 Old 06-10-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi All,

I may consider that in the future but for now I just want something that would match & work well with the 818 for the extra couple of surrounds & keep costs down by getting something from ebay while I try things out.

Do you think any of the Rotel amps I mentioned would work well?

Bazzy!
post #7224 of 9983 Old 06-10-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Quote:

Hi All,

I may consider that in the future but for now I just want something that would match & work well with the 818 for the extra couple of surrounds & keep costs down by getting something from ebay while I try things out.

Bazzy!
Quote:

Quote:

Hi All,

Bazzy!

Any power amp would work fairly well and doubtful you would need any more than 50w/ch for surrounds. If the prices in the UK between various amps are similar to here I'd still look at a pro-amp (like the Crown XLS 1500 I mentioned) as for the same money you might find something more useful later...

post #7225 of 9983 Old 06-10-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any power amp would work fairly well and doubtful you would need any more than 50w/ch for surrounds. If the prices in the UK between various amps are similar to here I'd still look at a pro-amp (like the Crown XLS 1500 I mentioned) as for the same money you might find something more useful later...

Hi,

Sorry but I am very ignorant about such things but are not Crown amps catered for the Professional/PA market? If so, I was always led to believe not to mix such gear with home hi-fi - was this wrong info or is it just that things have changed these days so the Pro & Home gear can be used together?

Bazzy!
post #7226 of 9983 Old 06-11-2013, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Hi,

Sorry but I am very ignorant about such things but are not Crown amps catered for the Professional/PA market? If so, I was always led to believe not to mix such gear with home hi-fi - was this wrong info or is it just that things have changed these days so the Pro & Home gear can be used together?

Bazzy!

The Crown XLS amps run fairly quiet and sound great. I just picked up an Audiosource Amp One/A for cheap to run 9.2. It puts out 80 x 2 @ 8 ohms RMS. I'll let you know how it works out. I have found that Audyssey does a great job of blending mismatched components.

post #7227 of 9983 Old 06-11-2013, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Hi Bazzy. Yes, that's just a myth. This hobby comes with all levels of snobbery wink.gif The Crown XLS is an excellent and very economical power amp. I have a 1500, 300w for less than $300, that's dead silent.

post #7228 of 9983 Old 06-11-2013, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post

The Crown XLS amps run fairly quiet and sound great. I just picked up an Audiosource Amp One/A for cheap to run 9.2. It puts out 80 x 2 @ 8 ohms RMS. I'll let you know how it works out. I have found that Audyssey does a great job of blending mismatched components.

I used to run a QSC amp in my 2-channel setup with a BH pre and it never caused me any problems. sounded good too. But, then, it also had an adjustable gain and was switchable between 2-channel and mono-block, which I'm sure helped.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #7229 of 9983 Old 06-11-2013, 10:53 AM

New 818 owner here and have a video processing question. I originally was looking to get a Oppo 103 purely for it's video capabilities but am now thinking I could save some money with a "lesser/cheaper" model and use the 818's video processor. I plan to run HDMI (no analog). I also have an Epson 5020ub projector. Will the Oppo give me better video quality (blu-ray,DVD upscale, etc) than using the 818. Should I just skip both and let the Epson do the up-scaling.

post #7230 of 9983 Old 06-11-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Hi,

Bazzy!

They're fine for home use, I've just purchased a pair, and am using them for my front channels now. They have rca type inputs (as well as balanced xlr and trs inputs); binding posts as well as speakon for connections for speakers. Super light if you need to move them around. Dead silent, haven't got the fan to come on as yet either as far as I can tell. They also have built in crossovers and peak limiter. Bridgeable, too. Sound great. My old amps were....getting old, am considering having them refurbished but the shipping/labor/parts bill for each amp will exceed the cost of an XLS 1500 so I may just sell my old amps (30 year old Carver M500t's) now that I've taken the pro amp direction. They're not as pretty as some home audio amp offerings. I had to cover the bright blue panel display light, too. No 12v trigger for those who find power buttons inconvenient. Performance wise for the $ they can't be beat, though.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page