Forum Jump: 

post #7291 of 9819 Old 06-18-2013, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nick View Post

When using the 818 's Zone 2 / Zone 3 feature for a two channel stereo setup, is it possible to incorporate a powered sub and turn it into 2.1? if so, how would you do it? Thank you very much.

Just Nick
if the sub has speaker level inputs?
binarysoldier likes this.

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 9819 Old 06-18-2013, 06:30 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMasta View Post

if the sub has speaker level inputs?

Per the manual:

"Speaker Level Inputs:

In situations where a line level out from your receiver or preamp is not available, we recommend the following method for connecting the sub:

1) Connect the monitor or tower speakers directly to the
amplifier outputs (both left and right channels).

2) Next, connect a second pair of speaker wires from each
monitor to the high level input on the sub.

The high level input allows speaker level signals for signal input
and sums the left and right channels to a mixed mono input so
the sub remains active whether balance is moved from left to
right. By directly wiring the monitors or towers to the amplifier,
the bottom octaves blend smoother with the output."

In my application, I am using 2 in-ceiling speakers for Zone 2, so I do not believe I can accomplish step 2 above.

Thoughts? And thank you for your response.

Just Nick
post #7293 of 9819 Old 06-18-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Snowman View Post

Still no joy - nobody has any ideas?

Thanks, John

There should be no folders on your drive - just the files.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #7294 of 9819 Old 06-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

There should be no folders on your drive - just the files.

Actually, there are the files and one folder. If all these are not there, the receiver will ignore the update.
post #7295 of 9819 Old 06-18-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:

Per the manual:

"Speaker Level Inputs:

In situations where a line level out from your receiver or preamp is not available, we recommend the following method for connecting the sub:

1) Connect the monitor or tower speakers directly to the
amplifier outputs (both left and right channels).

2) Next, connect a second pair of speaker wires from each
monitor to the high level input on the sub.

The high level input allows speaker level signals for signal input
and sums the left and right channels to a mixed mono input so
the sub remains active whether balance is moved from left to
right. By directly wiring the monitors or towers to the amplifier,
the bottom octaves blend smoother with the output."

In my application, I am using 2 in-ceiling speakers for Zone 2, so I do not believe I can accomplish step 2 above.

Thoughts? And thank you for your response.

Just Nick

You should have mentioned your desire to do this in Zone 2 in your original post.

You need a subwoofer with a built in crossover and speaker level input/outputs for Zone 2. Just connect the Zone 2 speaker outputs to the subwoofer inputs and connect the speakers to the subwoofer speaker output terminals.
post #7296 of 9819 Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

You should have mentioned your desire to do this in Zone 2 in your original post.

I thought I did, jm:
Quote:

When using the 818 's Zone 2 / Zone 3 feature for a two channel stereo setup, is it possible to incorporate a powered sub and turn it into 2.1? if so, how would you do it? Thank you very much.

In reading your response, I am still unclear, and I apologize. My Zone 2 speakers are in the ceiling of Zone 2. Their wires terminate at the receiver in Zone 1. So it sounds like I will have to extend those wires and run them back to Zone 2 so that they can connect with the sub AND I will have to run connections from the sub back to the receiver in Zone 1.

Is this correct?

Just Nick
post #7297 of 9819 Old 06-18-2013, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

\

I watched a UFO documentary and when they were doing the retelling of the story it had a UFO come up and hover over the house and its sounded awesome, like it was really above me. biggrin.gif

Nice. Wreck-it Ralph's 30th birthday fireworks were coming straight from the sky. I'm sold.

post #7298 of 9819 Old 06-18-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought I did, jm:
In reading your response, I am still unclear, and I apologize. My Zone 2 speakers are in the ceiling of Zone 2. Their wires terminate at the receiver in Zone 1. So it sounds like I will have to extend those wires and run them back to Zone 2 so that they can connect with the sub AND I will have to run connections from the sub back to the receiver in Zone 1.

Is this correct?

Just Nick

Yes, that is correct.

Zone 2 is not designed to have its own discrete subwoofer. If you really feel you need a subwoofer in that zone, you are going to have to do this;

818 Zone 2 speaker terminals -> Zone 2 subwoofer input terminals -> Zone 2 speakers.

Honestly, for 99% of people it's more trouble than it's worth but if you really want to do it, that's about the easiest way.
post #7299 of 9819 Old 06-18-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Yes, that is correct.

Zone 2 is not designed to have its own discrete subwoofer. If you really feel you need a subwoofer in that zone, you are going to have to do this;

818 Zone 2 speaker terminals -> Zone 2 subwoofer input terminals -> Zone 2 speakers.

Honestly, for 99% of people it's more trouble than it's worth but if you really want to do it, that's about the easiest way.

That certainly does sound like a lot of trouble. But the bass of the in-ceiling speakers is particularly weak, so having some real bass would be quite helpful. Are there any wireless sub connectors (Rocketfish?) that might work with speaker level inputs? Thank you.

Just Nick
post #7300 of 9819 Old 06-18-2013, 12:54 PM

From the onkyo USA forum...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWD 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORUMMODERATOR1 
We thank all for your patience and cooperation on this forum regarding this issue, after further research and correspondence with the Engineers-

" Currently, Onkyo receivers do not support "Gapless Playback" feature. However, Onkyo receivers will start supporting "Gapless Playback" from year 2014 onwards".

There is no further information on this topic; please express any comments to the following email: askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com so this will be sent to the appropriate department.

Respectfully;

Forum Moderators

I find your post quite rude, as if your are shouting at us! So, onkyo admits not having gapless is a screw up and will fix it in 2014, screw those of us that already spent our cash, I'll think long and hard before I send onkyo anymore of my hard earned money! :x
post #7301 of 9819 Old 06-18-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Do you think this implies a fix for current 818 owners in 2014 in the form of a firmware update, or a fix in Onkyo receivers starting with model-year 2014 and onwards? I guess the latter...

post #7302 of 9819 Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have you owners of the 818 found it to be a generally reliable unit compared to previous year models?
post #7303 of 9819 Old 06-18-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post

Have you owners of the 818 found it to be a generally reliable unit compared to previous year models?

It is far too soon to make a prediction on the reliability as the model is less than 1 year old.
post #7304 of 9819 Old 06-18-2013, 08:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Still no joy - nobody has any ideas?

Thanks, John

I'm in the same boat. My USB drive is formatted to FAT 32, and has nothing on it but the 1 folder and 5 files of the new firmware. But in the "update firmware screen" I only have displayed the current firmware version, which is not the latest. I do not get the option to "update firmware". I am very computer literate, but I can't update without an option to select.

????
post #7305 of 9819 Old 06-18-2013, 08:14 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post

I can't really speak to the long term reliability of the 818 just yet. I've only had mine less than a month.

Prior to buying the 818 I had the Onkyo 608 in my AV stack for over 3 years. The 608 was issue free and a Great! entry level feature packed AVR that served me well , over the years. The 818 was a big step up in features , build quality , sound quality and performance over the 608.

Initially , I am very happy with the 818. Sound and Video quality is amazing and I got it at a very good price.
post #7306 of 9819 Old 06-18-2013, 10:23 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Wilhelm View Post

I'm in the same boat. My USB drive is formatted to FAT 32, and has nothing on it but the 1 folder and 5 files of the new firmware. But in the "update firmware screen" I only have displayed the current firmware version, which is not the latest. I do not get the option to "update firmware". I am very computer literate, but I can't update without an option to select.

????
Have you tried pressing "Down" on the remote?

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #7307 of 9819 Old 06-19-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

Have you tried pressing "Down" on the remote?

Yes sir, I have. Like I said, there is no option on the screen to update the firmware, grayed out or otherwise.

When I go into the USB option on the home menu, the receiver recognizes the USB drive and I can see the contents. But no joy on the update firmware screen.

I downloaded the firmware from here. I suppose it's possible that I don't have the correct firmware downloaded. Is this where everyone else gets it from?

Edit: I bet I have the wrong language of firmware. I did a google search to get the firmware originally, and as you can see from the link above I got it from the Asia support site. I just found the Onkyo US support site, so I'll download the firmware from there tonight and give it a go.
post #7308 of 9819 Old 06-19-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

I've already shared it. A tethered version that has no security issues. All you need to do is get ahold of a $4 adapter off of eBay - or better yet, a Bus Pirate and connect it to the debug port. You get a full serial console with root access there.

I'm quite curious about this and I may indeed procure the necessary tools just to peek around. Can you tell us what process is used to play DLNA media? Is it a proprietary program from Onkyo as far as you can tell, or is it, say, mplayer? Just asking because mplayer is a popular backend for playing media on embedded devices and it indeed doesn't support gapless playback. However looking around on Google, it seems rather simple to enable gapless playback with a 3-line script.

post #7309 of 9819 Old 06-19-2013, 06:44 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:

Yes sir, I have. Like I said, there is no option on the screen to update the firmware, grayed out or otherwise.

When I go into the USB option on the home menu, the receiver recognizes the USB drive and I can see the contents. But no joy on the update firmware screen.

I downloaded the firmware from here. I suppose it's possible that I don't have the correct firmware downloaded. Is this where everyone else gets it from?

Edit: I bet I have the wrong language of firmware. I did a google search to get the firmware originally, and as you can see from the link above I got it from the Asia support site. I just found the Onkyo US support site, so I'll download the firmware from there tonight and give it a go.
Good luck with that. Try the UK one if all else fails.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #7310 of 9819 Old 06-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWD69 View Post

From the onkyo USA forum...

Re: Gapless support:

Note what the post says carefully, and the response from the customer.

The customer thinks the issue will be fixed in 2014. This is not the case. Onkyo will release receivers in 2014 that will support gapless playback. Onkyo rarely adds features to already released receivers - though that precedent was broken recently on the X08 series where UTF-8 support was added and X09 series where Spotify made its appearance. Though in the Onkyo protocol sheets they said *something* was coming, they just called it "Namihei" instead of "Spotify".
post #7311 of 9819 Old 06-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

Good luck with that. Try the UK one if all else fails.

Onkyo strongly recommends using the firmware from the region the receiver is from. There is also a way to force it to do a firmware update. I don't recall it off hand, but it was posted in this forum and someone likely remembers how to do it.
post #7312 of 9819 Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

I'm quite curious about this and I may indeed procure the necessary tools just to peek around. Can you tell us what process is used to play DLNA media? Is it a proprietary program from Onkyo as far as you can tell, or is it, say, mplayer? Just asking because mplayer is a popular backend for playing media on embedded devices and it indeed doesn't support gapless playback. However looking around on Google, it seems rather simple to enable gapless playback with a 3-line script.

They use Mediabolic UPnP, at least for discovery and control. I do not know if that is what they necessarily use for playback. The receiver also uses Alsa drivers for audio, but I do not know if they are really used or are used to shove everything off to the DSPs.
post #7313 of 9819 Old 06-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldgutierrez View Post

I need your expert advise here. I know that the new Onkyo receivers are more in the bright side making it sound more detailed and dynamic; for some reason I encountered some scenes with distortion on a movie particularly on loud scenes. Distortion is not present on all movies I tried, but overall my system sounds bright.

Welcome to the club smile.gif But... Are you talking about calibrated receiver with Audyssey & DynamicEQ enabled? Does it differ in 'Direct'?
Quote:

1.Is it possible that since the new Onkyos are more detailed it produces all sound including distortion? But how come it's not present when I tried other devices (HTIB, old Onkyo, etc.)
In my case increased distortion is caused by the heavy boost by Audyssey bellow the F3 (the lowest frequency below what speakers starts to roll-off).
Quote:

3. Do you have any other suggestion to isolate the problem?
Only FR measurements can tell if our problems are somehow related as Onkyo doesn't show the correction curves anywhere in the menus. If they are related then increasing crossover frequency would tame the problem to some extent. Also using Digital Clossovers in Bi-Amping mode helps in reducing distortion at high frequencies.
post #7314 of 9819 Old 06-19-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They use Mediabolic UPnP, at least for discovery and control. I do not know if that is what they necessarily use for playback. The receiver also uses Alsa drivers for audio, but I do not know if they are really used or are used to shove everything off to the DSPs.

Hmmm Mediabolic didn't ring a bell. Wikipedia tells me that Macrovision bought Mediabolic and then became Rovi Corporation. So it looks like the UPnP software on the receiver is proprietary, closed-source and not even under Onkyo's control. I can see why adding gapless playback may pose a problem for them. Another problem is that the 818 is resolutely a UPnP / DLNA media renderer. However, as explained here, because of UPnP's specs, it looks like gapless playback has little chance of being implemented correctly by media renderers and even less of being universally supported by control points. Basically, it comes down to the control point telling the renderer what will come next. As the spec says this is optional, few control points and renderers implement it.

post #7315 of 9819 Old 06-19-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Re: Gapless support:

Note what the post says carefully, and the response from the customer.

The customer thinks the issue will be fixed in 2014. This is not the case. Onkyo will release receivers in 2014 that will support gapless playback. Onkyo rarely adds features to already released receivers - though that precedent was broken recently on the X08 series where UTF-8 support was added and X09 series where Spotify made its appearance. Though in the Onkyo protocol sheets they said *something* was coming, they just called it "Namihei" instead of "Spotify".

I don't think it will fix our 818's only new 2014 models!
post #7316 of 9819 Old 06-19-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Onkyo strongly recommends using the firmware from the region the receiver is from.

Yep, that's what my problem was. Once I downloaded the firmware from the USA site, the "Update USB" option appeared in the update menu. It's updating as I type this.
post #7317 of 9819 Old 06-19-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:

Yep, that's what my problem was. Once I downloaded the firmware from the USA site, the "Update USB" option appeared in the update menu. It's updating as I type this.

All the posts you made, describe exactly my problem, what is happening to me and what I see on screen.

I will try the USA version now, but I am in Australia, used the International link you posted, which is where I was in the first place; maybe there is an Australia website, I wonder

Thanks for replies, will keep you updated

smile.gif

Canadian by birth, Australian by choice!
post #7318 of 9819 Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I will try the USA version now, but I am in Australia, used the International link you posted, which is where I was in the first place; maybe there is an Australia website, I wonder

If you compare the link on the Asia/Oceania site, it links to the exact same location as the US site.
Europe and UK look to be hosted elsewhere, but the firmwares have identical names and sizes.

I'm willing to bet that you've got a bad/incomplete download.

EDIT: I stand corrected. The international site does indeed list a differently named zip file.
I'm interested in knowing what the differences are now because this isn't normal practice for them.
post #7319 of 9819 Old 06-19-2013, 09:01 PM

Something like that, maybe the site is bad because 2 of had identical problems; mine is updated now, got the new firmware version number showing on screen

Thanks to all who commented

smile.gif

Canadian by birth, Australian by choice!
post #7320 of 9819 Old 06-20-2013, 05:35 AM

Hi I'm also having the same problem, from the Asian website. Will try the USA website next and update later. BTW, my 809 updated via USB without any problems from the ASIA website.

I just got the TX-NR818.

I'm trying to update my firmware from version 1100-7101-0100-0000 to the latest 1130-9104-0101-0000.
However, when I put my USB thumbrive into the USB slot, the option to update via USB does not show up in the firmware menu. Neither does the update via NET option.
It only shows info of the current firmware.

The Onkyo detects the thumbdrive, but it seems that the firmware updater does not detect the new firmware.

This is what I put on my thumbdrive's root folder:

There are 2 sets of 5 files. One in a folder and one not in a folder. This is what I got after unzipping the download.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page