post #7381 of 10022 Old 06-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nick View Post

So I noticed. Tore into everything today to add front wides. I am giving up on Zone 2. You were all right. Just not worth the trouble to incorporate a sub into Zone 2.

But here is something really weird. From my reading of the various posts on the issue, I was led to believe that I needed an external amp to run the wides if I wanted to incorporate them along with the sides and both rears. But somehow I managed to get everything set up with just the 818, but giving up on Zone 2. In other words, I am running 9.1 with just the 818.

I did not think this was possible.

Thoughts?

Just Nick

It is not. you are either running wides and surrounds or backs....not all 3 at the same time.

Easy way to check is to watch tv and have all speakers running at the same time, you will see that it will not play out of all of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 10022 Old 06-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

Thanks staring at it right now (just delivered) Now to get it on a stand.

what is the cost on those new 4k's?
post #7383 of 10022 Old 06-28-2013, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

It is not. you are either running wides and surrounds or backs....not all 3 at the same time.

Easy way to check is to watch tv and have all speakers running at the same time, you will see that it will not play out of all of them.

So even though the Audyssey display shows all 9.1 visually, sent tones through all 9.1, and calibrated all 9.1, only 7.1 will play at any one time?

confused.gif
post #7384 of 10022 Old 06-28-2013, 03:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post

You said you set the sub level to 78-80+ during Audyssey setup. I would recommend setting it to the 75 db reference, run Audyssey, then raise or lower the subwoofer level to your taste afterwards rather than trying to trick Audyssey before calibration.

It won’t really make any difference. If he uses 78dB during setup, it will just mean that Audyssey trims his levels a little differently - 3dB more negative trim in that example. Assuming he isn't at the limit of the trim range in the AVR it won't adversely affect the calibration in any way.  I used to use 78dB as it happens, so that it gave me a higher negative trim which then allowed me to run the subs a few dB hot while still remaining within the ideal -3.5dB to + 3.5dB trim range.  I don't run my subs hot since getting my dual Submersives so these days I would use 75dB.  Generally though, I agree with you - use the standard method unless there is a good reason not to.

This FAQ answer sheds more light:

f)4.    If I want to run my subs a little 'hot' where should I make the changes?

post #7385 of 10022 Old 06-28-2013, 04:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post

The line out jacks for zones 2/3 are fixed level (no volume control via the 818).

So I noticed. Tore into everything today to add front wides. I am giving up on Zone 2. You were all right. Just not worth the trouble to incorporate a sub into Zone 2.

But here is something really weird. From my reading of the various posts on the issue, I was led to believe that I needed an external amp to run the wides if I wanted to incorporate them along with the sides and both rears. But somehow I managed to get everything set up with just the 818, but giving up on Zone 2. In other words, I am running 9.1 with just the 818.

I did not think this was possible.

Thoughts?

Just Nick

Whoa..... the 818 is a 7.2 AVR is it not?  That means it has 7 power amps in it.

If you are using 1 for the L, 1 for the R, 1 for the C, 1 for the LS, 1 for the RS - that is 5 amps used. You have two left. If you use the two remaining amps for Rear Surrounds, then that is your lot. 

Same if you use the two remaining for your Wides. You can’t run 9 channels of amplification from an AVR that has 7 channels of amps.

So something is wrong somewhere.  Somewhere along the way you may have miswired the system.  Or, you have wired correctly but you are not able to use all the channels at the same time - it is possible the 818 allows you to connect up all 9 channels but to select 7 of them (the main 5 plus wides or rear surrounds). I am not all that familiar with the 818 - some Onkyos in the past allowed you to connect all 9 speakers but had no way to switch easily between them. I assume the 818 has fixed that issue and you can select the speakers you want to use from the 9 available. What is certain is that it is impossible to run 9 channels from 7 amps :)

post #7386 of 10022 Old 06-28-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

So even though the Audyssey display shows all 9.1 visually, sent tones through all 9.1, and calibrated all 9.1, only 7.1 will play at any one time?

confused.gif

You are somehow confused. The 818 only has a 7 channel amp in it. It is not possible to drive 9 channels without external amplification.
post #7387 of 10022 Old 06-28-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

confused.gif

Yes. With only 7 amps, how could you use 9 channels at the same time?  It calibrates all 9 channels because, well, why wouldn't it?  You want all the channels calibrated for when you use them - that's not the same as using them all at the same time.  Same with the test tones - it sends a tone through each channel independently - but not through all 9 channels at the same time: that is impossible. 

Some AVRs allow for an external 2 channel amp to be hooked up to give the facility for additional channels over and above what are inside the AVR. IDK if the 818 does this, but if it does, then that is the way to go if you want to play all your channels at once using something like Audyssey DSX for example as the DSP.  If the 818 does not have such a feature, then you will have to be content with 7 out of 9.

Sorry I can't be more specific about the 818 in the 818 thread (I am sure others will chime in) - I dropped by to answer an Audyssey question really.

post #7388 of 10022 Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgminder View Post

So this is weird. Two days ago I thought my 818 was busted. I had static and popping on all sources and it was throwing itself into protection mode. I gave up troubleshooting and unhooked it to send it in for repair. For the hell of it I rehooked it up again today and it was working fine. I have no idea what caused it to be that way. Guess I'll stress it as much as I can before I cancel my warranty claim through squaretrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It sounds like you had a short on one of the speaker channels and when you reconnected it, you eliminated it.

post #7389 of 10022 Old 06-28-2013, 08:11 AM

Liked: 10
Hi all,

New Onkyo 818 owner here. Can someone provide a quick rundown of what the recommended initial settings I should have set in the receiver before I run Audyssey? Do I need to have speaker distance values pre-set? Leave all speakers at 80hz?
As I have been reading on this forum, some one mentioned that it is recommended to have the mic higher than ear position.

I will also be reading the Audyssey FAQ. But for now I just want to have everything ready for calibration.

Thanks!
post #7390 of 10022 Old 06-28-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracore View Post

Hi all,

New Onkyo 818 owner here. Can someone provide a quick rundown of what the recommended initial settings I should have set in the receiver before I run Audyssey? Do I need to have speaker distance values pre-set? Leave all speakers at 80hz?
As I have been reading on this forum, some one mentioned that it is recommended to have the mic higher than ear position.

I will also be reading the Audyssey FAQ. But for now I just want to have everything ready for calibration.

Thanks!

Hello Dracore and welcome.

Audyssey takes care of speaker distance values for you, along with just about everything else. It is also my understanding that when you begin Audyssey calibration, just about all settings are disabled to make for a clean Audyssey run. The initial set up does a great job of taking your through everything step by step. Enjoy.

Just Nick
post #7391 of 10022 Old 06-28-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracore View Post

Hi all,

Thanks!

Audyssey ignores all AVR settings when it runs so there is no need to do anything.  I suggest you read the '101' linked in my signature before running Audyssey. If you follow the step by step instructions there you will get a good calibration first time around. If you have any issues, bring them to the Official Audyssey Thread for resolution.

post #7392 of 10022 Old 06-28-2013, 11:06 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the starting tips!
post #7393 of 10022 Old 06-28-2013, 02:53 PM

Need Help Configuring 9.1!

So here is my situation:

The Onkyo SB/FH/FW Ext. Amp is connected to my external amp.

Front wide speakers are connected to external amp.

Powered Zone 2 & 3 are set to No.

Preout to Ext. amp is set to Front Wide.

So far, so good, but here is the problem:

When I get to the Selecting Speaker Layout step, I am supposed to be able to scroll through SB/FH, SB/FW, and FH/FW. Instead, I get a message that such choices are "unavailable."

Just wondering what I am missing.

Thank you very much.

Just Nick
post #7394 of 10022 Old 06-28-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 43
hi guys do you have any idea if the onkyo 929 has a sub eq? im planning to get one brand new for less than 900. not sure if it has sub eq?

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #7395 of 10022 Old 06-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

You are somehow confused. The 818 only has a 7 channel amp in it. It is not possible to drive 9 channels without external amplification.

I had to buy another ext amp to get my 9.2 to work, yes even though Audyssey showed 9 speakers available, only 7 of them would work.
post #7396 of 10022 Old 06-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

hi guys do you have any idea if the onkyo 929 has a sub eq? im planning to get one brand new for less than 900. not sure if it has sub eq?

The most it says is:

Audyssey MultEQ® XT32
Audyssey’s top-flight room correction suite equalizes the sound to suit the acoustics of your listening space. High-res filters are applied to all channels—including subwoofers— based on information collected from more than 10,000 individual control points across eight measurement positions.
post #7397 of 10022 Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

The most it says is:

Audyssey MultEQ® XT32
Audyssey’s top-flight room correction suite equalizes the sound to suit the acoustics of your listening space. High-res filters are applied to all channels—including subwoofers— based on information collected from more than 10,000 individual control points across eight measurement positions.
So basically more on the same with 818?

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #7398 of 10022 Old 06-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

So basically more on the same with 818?

Probably. I also bet it will also not be installer-capable either.

I don't mean to put it down. If the 929 is exactly the same as the 818 with Zone 2 HDMI, it's going to be a great model. I only hope it is heavily discounted like the 818 was and not the 828 instead.

I'd get one of these to replace the 626, but I want a yet higher model this time around. So I'm hoping the 1000, 3000 or 5000 series is going to have HD radio and some other cool trappings.
post #7399 of 10022 Old 06-29-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:

I had to buy another ext amp to get my 9.2 to work, yes even though Audyssey showed 9 speakers available, only 7 of them would work.

I have acquired the ext amp, but I am still having problems getting 9.2 to work.

Quote:

So here is my situation:

When I get to the Selecting Speaker Layout step, I am supposed to be able to scroll through SB/FH, SB/FW, and FH/FW. Instead, I get a message that such choices are "unavailable."

Thank you very much.

Just Nick

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #7400 of 10022 Old 06-29-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

Probably. I also bet it will also not be installer-capable either.

What does this mean?
post #7401 of 10022 Old 06-29-2013, 07:43 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

So here is my situation:

Thank you very much.

Just Nick

Read the manual. You cannot run FW and FH at the same time.
post #7402 of 10022 Old 06-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post

Actually, he should be able to with an external amp for either the heights, surround back or wides which he said he did. Try feeding it a 5.1 signal and use Audyssey DSX or NEO:X.

post #7403 of 10022 Old 06-29-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 305
So I still cant figure out why DLNA stopped working for me. I was using Serviio and BubbleuPnP just fine a few weeks ago. i could stream music from the serviio server to my 818 using the bubble app just fine. worked with my phone and tablet (Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Google Nexus 7)

I went out of town for a few days and when i came back it no longer works. Nothing changed when i was gone and nothing got updated. When i try to do it now i get an error saying "Transport is locked Code 705" from both devices.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled bubble more than once on both devices ive unininstalled and reinstalled serviio more than once. Ive updated both my routers firmware to the latest versions (one was already running this)

I still get the error. Ive tried other UPNP aps and they don't work either. either get access or timeout errors

I can stream from the serviio server to my phone/tablet just fine so it seems to be working as it should
I can go into the "Net" menu on the 818 and navigate to the serviio server and play things directly just fine

i simply can not get a app to work anymore.

anyone have any clue why this would be happening.

everything is on a wired connection besides the phone/tablet
My 2 routers are a Linksys WRT54GL & WRT54G both running the latest versions of their firmware from the linksys site. The reason for 2 routers is to cover my house with wireless 1 wont work. Chain looks like this. Modem - WRT54GL (first floor) -> WRT54G (3rd floor) - Trendnet GigE Switch - Devices
post #7404 of 10022 Old 06-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In the evening I will have a look at my setup and post the settings for you.

I am running
FL C FR off my Emotiva XPA3
SL SR SBL SBR FHL FHR off my Emotiva UPA700
post #7405 of 10022 Old 06-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

So I still cant figure out why DLNA stopped working for me. I was using Serviio and BubbleuPnP just fine a few weeks ago. i could stream music from the serviio server to my 818 using the bubble app just fine. worked with my phone and tablet (Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Google Nexus 7)

I went out of town for a few days and when i came back it no longer works. Nothing changed when i was gone and nothing got updated. When i try to do it now i get an error saying "Transport is locked Code 705" from both devices.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled bubble more than once on both devices ive unininstalled and reinstalled serviio more than once. Ive updated both my routers firmware to the latest versions (one was already running this)

I still get the error. Ive tried other UPNP aps and they don't work either. either get access or timeout errors

I can stream from the serviio server to my phone/tablet just fine so it seems to be working as it should
I can go into the "Net" menu on the 818 and navigate to the serviio server and play things directly just fine

i simply can not get a app to work anymore.

anyone have any clue why this would be happening.

everything is on a wired connection besides the phone/tablet
My 2 routers are a Linksys WRT54GL & WRT54G both running the latest versions of their firmware from the linksys site. The reason for 2 routers is to cover my house with wireless 1 wont work. Chain looks like this. Modem - WRT54GL (first floor) -> WRT54G (3rd floor) - Trendnet GigE Switch - Devices

Do a factory reset on the unit and or uninstall the app and then install it again.
post #7406 of 10022 Old 06-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have acquired the ext amp, but I am still having problems getting 9.2 to work.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How many channels is the new ext amp you got?
post #7407 of 10022 Old 06-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

What does this mean?

You can run Audyssey Pro on it. Basically have someone drop in with a laptop and calibrated mic and do a custom calibration.

I've seen some traffic from this process and am interested in cracking how this is done for my own nefarious purposes. Actually, I do have it sort of figured out, but nothing to play with that supports it.

Onkyos from the 3000 and 5000 series support it - but it's nerfed in the US models.
post #7408 of 10022 Old 06-29-2013, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
JGMinder,

Are you still getting those popping sounds? I used to get those as well. Would scare the hell outta me. The AVR would then shut down. I came across a busted HDMI cable. Replaced it and hadn't had the problem again. Let me know how things are working out for you.
post #7409 of 10022 Old 06-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawie01 View Post

JGMinder,

Are you still getting those popping sounds? I used to get those as well. Would scare the hell outta me. The AVR would then shut down. I came across a busted HDMI cable. Replaced it and hadn't had the problem again. Let me know how things are working out for you.

I had one large pop and took my receiver back for a new one, I said F' that...
post #7410 of 10022 Old 06-30-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:

Though I am not trying to (my goal is SB and FW), with an external amp, there should be no reason that I couldn't. See Patrick's post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Actually, he should be able to with an external amp for either the heights, surround back or wides which he said he did. Try feeding it a 5.1 signal and use Audyssey DSX or NEO:X.

Patrick:

My issue is preliminary to being able to actually hear a signal from all 9.2 speakers, where I realize using DSX would be required. I am still in the configuration phase, at the select Selecting Speaker Layout step, and I am supposed to be able to scroll through SB/FH, SB/FW, and FH/FW in order to make my choice. Instead, I get a message that such choices are "unavailable."

Thank you.

Just Nick
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page