Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 256 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7651 of 9988 Old 07-31-2013, 08:56 AM
Newbie
 
Nugent1021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was wondering if I could get some advice from you guys.
I bought a 818 recently to replace a Sherwood P-965/A-965 combo. I like it, love the xt32 set up.
However, I have Avalon Symbol front speakers (4ohm), an Avalon NP center channel (4ohm), KEF 160.2qs center surround ceiling speakers (8ohm), and KEF 200.3qt rear surround speakers (8ohm).
I have it set up for the symbols on the a-965 amp and the rest running off the onkyo 818 (including the center).
Is this how you'd set these up, or should the center also be driven from the a-965 amp?

I started looking into whether the 818 could push the avalon 4ohm speakers because I have an upstairs theater and was going to get a denon avr-x4000 for that area, but it only has 7.2 without an external amp. I'd like to put the a-965 amp up in the theater room so I could have 9.2 and drive 2 speakers in a zone2 as well (total of 11.2), all the theater speakers are wall/ceiling speakers, pioneer elite, and 2 subs - a martin logan 10 inch and an avalon NP dual 12's I think, but the amp went bad so I"m driving it with a dayton external sub amp from partsexpress.

I guess my question is - do I need to leave the a-965 amp downstairs with the avalon/KEF set up because of the different ohm thing, or can the 818 drive all those speakers?
How would you guys set this up? Just get another external amp for the denon x4000 upstairs? I'd probably need a 4 channel, but would like to avoid the extra cost.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated!
Nugent1021 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7652 of 9988 Old 07-31-2013, 12:53 PM
Member
 
budtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have bin having a small click sound once in a while from the reciever. it is not the normal relay click when cwitching to sterero from sound for example, it sounds a bit different - less loud - and audio is not affected or changing. happnes it seems 5 minutes or so after the reciever is turned on i think. but not always. i cant find a definate pattern i think. i only hear it once a day maybe or even less.

i was thinking that it was maybe a relay for the fans but they are always off. it sounds a bit like a relay-click

does any1 else get this.

the unit is only a few months old and have always done this.
budtz is offline  
post #7653 of 9988 Old 07-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
NODES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by budtz View Post

I have bin having a small click sound once in a while from the reciever. it is not the normal relay click when cwitching to sterero from sound for example, it sounds a bit different - less loud - and audio is not affected or changing. happnes it seems 5 minutes or so after the reciever is turned on i think. but not always. i cant find a definate pattern i think. i only hear it once a day maybe or even less.

i was thinking that it was maybe a relay for the fans but they are always off. it sounds a bit like a relay-click

does any1 else get this.

the unit is only a few months old and have always done this.

search through this thread I believe others have mentioned a click of sorts and what the outcome was.
NODES is offline  
post #7654 of 9988 Old 07-31-2013, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
NODES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post

No, there is no Late Night button on the remote like there was on older models. You have to hit the "Q/Setup" button, go to "Audio" and switch it on.

bah that sucks, too much clicking to get to it...mad.gif
NODES is offline  
post #7655 of 9988 Old 07-31-2013, 08:12 PM
Member
 
StephenR0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

Is there a late night button anywhere on the remote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post

No, there is no Late Night button on the remote like there was on older models. You have to hit the "Q/Setup" button, go to "Audio" and switch it on.

There is a "Late Night Code" in the 818. In JP1 parlance it's sub-device 108 and obc 215. I'm not really sure if that helps you, though.
StephenR0 is offline  
post #7656 of 9988 Old 07-31-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MUCHO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCHO View Post

Sorry I'm sure this has been covered endlessly in this thread but I noticed in an Amazon review the following statement:

"Audyssey boosts low frequencies below the -3dB detected point heavily (over 10dB boost, confirmed with measurements) leading to high intermodulation distortion, clipping and danger to damage the speakers."

As there are 255 pages I'm hoping someone can give me the cliff notes as this receiver is on my short list for purchase.

HELLO KNOWLEDGABLE AVS FORUM MEMBERS -

Can anyone comment if the above statement from the Amazon review is true?

Thank you
MUCHO is offline  
post #7657 of 9988 Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
NODES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCHO View Post

HELLO KNOWLEDGABLE AVS FORUM MEMBERS -

Can anyone comment if the above statement from the Amazon review is true?

Thank you

The IgorZep posts in this thread?
NODES is offline  
post #7658 of 9988 Old 08-01-2013, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
babgvant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by VINYLFREAK4 View Post

Ok.......this is the weirdest thing.
My CEC functionality is broken somehow between my Onkyo 818 and my Panny GT-25 TV.
In the past , when I turn on my GT-25 it will automatically turn on my Onkyo 818 and when I turn the TV off it would turn my 818 off.
This functionality worked the exact same way with my Onkyo 608 that I owned previously.
My problem is now , that when I power up the GT-25 it also turns my 818 on but when I turn the TV off it does Not turn the 818 off , it remains on and I have
to power it down with the Onkyo remote.
I have checked the configuration on both the GT-25 and the 818 and it appears to me that everything is set up correctly to allow CEC to work.
I am Baffled.
Anyone have any ideas or advice on this one???
Thanks in advance.

There should be two setting in the TV's Viera Connect settings which control whether it can turn devices on and off. Check that they are both enabled.

This is what it looked like on my VT25

Andy VT -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
babgvant is offline  
post #7659 of 9988 Old 08-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
IgorZep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

The IgorZep posts in this thread?

I am here, just visiting here rarely and will be far from computer at least the following weekend, going to listen for a lot of live blues at Augustibluus smile.gif

As to the review... All that is said is true, but it seems some of the problems are specific to some set of units only (I suppose it depends on region, but this is speculation, I am in Europe) as other people here measured their 818 and found no described issues with Audyssey. On the other side the issue is absolutely consistent and 100% reproducible on my side and other people in Russia measured their units and problem is definitely there and also consistently reproducible.

On the other side I've tried Marantz 6007, and when it is fed with music through HDMI input the sound is so dead... And even some acousic instruments are changed to the level you cannot identify what is the instrument. Like cannot tell that drum is a drum... While it is playing normal through internal player, so I cannot think of anything except the jitter. Crazy stuff going on with expensive equipment these days! At least you can do something with 818 to fix or at least tame it's problems.

I am currently looking to the new Denon X4000. It looks very much like the 818 done right on the paper at least, I have no chance yet to audition it, but looks promising...

Also, I've assembled Hypex NC400 recently, and with those two modules it seems all the problems with SQ of 818 are gone (well most of them, at least on two channels)... If 818 without biamp+active crossovers can distort badly at -20dB already and often sound is quite fatiguing even at -30dB, with biamp+digital crossovers it is much cleaner, but still fatiguing near the reference levels... When driven through NCore from 818 preout it is crystal clear on any level I set including above the reference, it really doesn't bother what is the input, what is the load and what is the volume! So... finally I am able to listen at reference. But on the other side just these two NCores are more expensive than the whole 818 with its 7 amps rolleyes.gif

So, here is my today state of things smile.gif And... waiting for this Emotiva XMC-1 thing with Dirac Live also biggrin.gif
IgorZep is online now  
post #7660 of 9988 Old 08-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
NODES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I was hoping the X4000 was 9.2 or even if they had a X5000 model...
NODES is offline  
post #7661 of 9988 Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
NODES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Reading Onkyo Suppor Forums and stumbled upon this...




"I have a TX-NR818 that I bought around Christmas. It is not enclosed in any way and has good ventilation.

My daughter, who is home for the summer, called me one morning to tell me that there were sparks shooting out of the case, smoke coming out , so she unplugged it and then moved it from the wood cabinets to the floor.

I sent this to ABL in Troy MI, and they said they couldn't fix it and wanted Onkyo to evaluate it.

Anyone else see this? Sounds like a fire risk."
NODES is offline  
post #7662 of 9988 Old 08-02-2013, 06:01 AM
Senior Member
 
theoneofgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: England
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

Reading Onkyo Suppor Forums and stumbled upon this...




"I have a TX-NR818 that I bought around Christmas. It is not enclosed in any way and has good ventilation.

My daughter, who is home for the summer, called me one morning to tell me that there were sparks shooting out of the case, smoke coming out , so she unplugged it and then moved it from the wood cabinets to the floor.

I sent this to ABL in Troy MI, and they said they couldn't fix it and wanted Onkyo to evaluate it.

Anyone else see this? Sounds like a fire risk."

The bringer of bad news! smile.gif

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
theoneofgod is offline  
post #7663 of 9988 Old 08-02-2013, 07:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Just Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You know, I have heard of people going to extremes to justify the purchase of new audio gear, but this takes the cake. Putting his daughter up to starting a fire in the receiver so he can show his wife and justify an upgrade borders on brilliant. I'm horrified, yet at the same time, darkly impressed...and my wheels are turning...hmmmmm...

Just Nick
jtroness likes this.
Just Nick is offline  
post #7664 of 9988 Old 08-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Member
 
bonginator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a relatively new Onkyo TX NR 818 and am wondering where I might set it to auto detect the audio source and ignore setting it to THX-cinema etc. Everytime I put on an HD movie, it seems to set the source to various sound effects and I would like it to have it set to whatever the original source is. Is there such a setting? (Sorry - not a big audio expert so this is the best explanation I have.)
bonginator is offline  
post #7665 of 9988 Old 08-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Member
 
atmusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmusky View Post

My Onkyo TX-NR807 just blow up for the second time (actually started burning inside this time) and I am way out of warranty and no way I want this thing fixed even if they do it for free a second time. Have read a few pages on the Onkyo TX-NR818 and don't see lots of complaints of failures I know it is only a little more than a year old so that may not be saying much. In any event without readig all the pages have there been reports of many failures? Seems like lots of complaints about older models I would like to think a receiver can last more than 3 years but I am beginning to wonder. If not the Onkyo TX-NR818 what is comparable in other brands that is getting recommended?

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

push on Onkyo to fix and then sell it or see if you can get an upgrade to the newer models.
Well Onkyo decided there was nothing they were going to do for me (my 807 was just 3 years old but had been fixed last fall out of warranty they would not fix it again or give me any deals I wanted).

Decided to vote with my wallet and bought a DENON AVR-X4000. It comes with a 3 year warranty and looks like it matches up pretty good with an 818 only it is this years model instead of last years - it only ended up costing me $110 more than the best deal I could find on the 818 ($800 versus $910).
atmusky is offline  
post #7666 of 9988 Old 08-02-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmusky View Post


Well Onkyo decided there was nothing they were going to do for me (my 807 was just 3 years old but had been fixed last fall out of warranty they would not fix it again or give me any deals I wanted).

Decided to vote with my wallet and bought a DENON AVR-X4000. It comes with a 3 year warranty and looks like it matches up pretty good with an 818 only it is this years model instead of last years - it only ended up costing me $110 more than the best deal I could find on the 818 ($800 versus $910).

Good for you. I've had enough of Onkyos BS and plan on going with the same receiver you've chosen.

mpalmieri1203 is offline  
post #7667 of 9988 Old 08-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
NODES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmusky View Post


Well Onkyo decided there was nothing they were going to do for me (my 807 was just 3 years old but had been fixed last fall out of warranty they would not fix it again or give me any deals I wanted).

Decided to vote with my wallet and bought a DENON AVR-X4000. It comes with a 3 year warranty and looks like it matches up pretty good with an 818 only it is this years model instead of last years - it only ended up costing me $110 more than the best deal I could find on the 818 ($800 versus $910).


Wow not even a refurb unit offered at a lower cost. mad.gif

Post this on their support forum, even if only a few people see it before they take it down....word of mouth will spread it.
NODES is offline  
post #7668 of 9988 Old 08-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
NODES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

The bringer of bad news! smile.gif


lol I like it! tongue.gif
NODES is offline  
post #7669 of 9988 Old 08-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Member
 
fokakis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post

I have a relatively new Onkyo TX NR 818 and am wondering where I might set it to auto detect the audio source and ignore setting it to THX-cinema etc. Everytime I put on an HD movie, it seems to set the source to various sound effects and I would like it to have it set to whatever the original source is. Is there such a setting? (Sorry - not a big audio expert so this is the best explanation I have.)

What does your setup look like (speakers, subs, sources)?

If you simply want to play whatever the original source is you would go to Home -> Setup -> Listening Mode Preset. Select your source, then match listening modes with the source. You will only have to do this once as your preferences will be saved.

Another solution would be to use "Direct" mode, but this will bypass some of your bass management which may be undesirable.

fokakis1 is offline  
post #7670 of 9988 Old 08-04-2013, 06:08 AM
Member
 
jgman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Falls Church, Va
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to replace a Marantz AV7005 and Rotel 1075 amp with an Onkyo 818 in order to get MultiXT32. Marantz just has MultiXt. Was wondering whether the Onkyo 818 will be able to power my front 3 NHT L5 speakers (85db/6 ohm rating) and back two surround speakers. Room is roughly 15" by 25" by 7". Any thoughts greatly appreciated on the AMP section of this receiver with regards to driving lower sensitivity speakers..
jgman is offline  
post #7671 of 9988 Old 08-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
migraine24-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Centerville Ia
Posts: 703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I know this is off topic but those of you on this forum are very informed about all kinds of home av. So here it goes. My component matrix crapped out on me last nite. I'm looking to replace it with a HDMI matrix. Do any of you have suggestions on a HDMI matrix? Please pm me so I don't derail this forum. I value the opinions of those on this forum and appreciate the help. Thanks again.smile.gif

GO BLUE
migraine24-7 is offline  
post #7672 of 9988 Old 08-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
NODES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgman View Post

Looking to replace a Marantz AV7005 and Rotel 1075 amp with an Onkyo 818 in order to get MultiXT32. Marantz just has MultiXt. Was wondering whether the Onkyo 818 will be able to power my front 3 NHT L5 speakers (85db/6 ohm rating) and back two surround speakers. Room is roughly 15" by 25" by 7". Any thoughts greatly appreciated on the AMP section of this receiver with regards to driving lower sensitivity speakers..


why not keep the Rotel 1075 amp?

No way will the 818 do:

5x120 watts /ch / 8 ohms
5x200 watts /ch / 4 ohms
NODES is offline  
post #7673 of 9988 Old 08-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Member
 
bonginator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post

What does your setup look like (speakers, subs, sources)?

If you simply want to play whatever the original source is you would go to Home -> Setup -> Listening Mode Preset. Select your source, then match listening modes with the source. You will only have to do this once as your preferences will be saved.

Another solution would be to use "Direct" mode, but this will bypass some of your bass management which may be undesirable.

I have 2 Vienna Acoustic Bach Grands as front speakers, 2 infinity kappa surrounds, an SVS sb13-ultra sub and a BIC center. Whenever I watch an HD movie on cable, it auto sets to Thx cinema. I would prefer a Dolby 5.1 setting but don't see that as a choice.
bonginator is offline  
post #7674 of 9988 Old 08-05-2013, 05:40 AM
Member
 
fokakis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post

I have 2 Vienna Acoustic Bach Grands as front speakers, 2 infinity kappa surrounds, an SVS sb13-ultra sub and a BIC center. Whenever I watch an HD movie on cable, it auto sets to Thx cinema. I would prefer a Dolby 5.1 setting but don't see that as a choice.

Very nice. So did you try the Listening Mode Presets? There you can set the Onkyo to play your cable box in Dolby Digital and override the THX mode it keeps switching you to. Page 72-73 in the Owner's Manual will walk you through it.

fokakis1 is offline  
post #7675 of 9988 Old 08-05-2013, 06:02 AM
Member
 
bonginator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post

Very nice. So did you try the Listening Mode Presets? There you can set the Onkyo to play your cable box in Dolby Digital and override the THX mode it keeps switching you to. Page 72-73 in the Owner's Manual will walk you through it.

Thanks for the reference. I finally figured out how to know what the source is when watching something. Now trying to figure out the best defaults for my various sources:

Cable/sat
Bluray
Xbox 360
CD player

Any suggestions? I also read more about pure mode but that seems to defeat the sub which I don't want.
bonginator is offline  
post #7676 of 9988 Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 AM
Senior Member
 
theoneofgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: England
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post

Thanks for the reference. I finally figured out how to know what the source is when watching something. Now trying to figure out the best defaults for my various sources:

Cable/sat
Bluray
Xbox 360
CD player

Any suggestions? I also read more about pure mode but that seems to defeat the sub which I don't want.
Direct works very similar to Pure Audio. You can try that.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
theoneofgod is offline  
post #7677 of 9988 Old 08-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Member
 
fokakis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post

Thanks for the reference. I finally figured out how to know what the source is when watching something. Now trying to figure out the best defaults for my various sources:

Cable/sat
Bluray
Xbox 360
CD player

Any suggestions? I also read more about pure mode but that seems to defeat the sub which I don't want.

It's a matter of personal preference. For video sources you could set 2 channel and pcm to output with Dolby pro-logic II. I find that this does a good job of up mixing to 5.1. It also allows for movie, music, & game modes so experiment and set accordingly. If a 5.1 channel source is playing PLII will pass it untouched.

Be sure to set True HD sources to output True HD, and DTS Master to DTS Master, of course, and your CD source set to stereo.

These would be my starting points. You have many more options at your fingertips so tweak to your liking.

fokakis1 is offline  
post #7678 of 9988 Old 08-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Member
 
GoatLocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmusky View Post


Well Onkyo decided there was nothing they were going to do for me (my 807 was just 3 years old but had been fixed last fall out of warranty they would not fix it again or give me any deals I wanted).

Decided to vote with my wallet and bought a DENON AVR-X4000. It comes with a 3 year warranty and looks like it matches up pretty good with an 818 only it is this years model instead of last years - it only ended up costing me $110 more than the best deal I could find on the 818 ($800 versus $910).

I wondered how long Onkyo would continue to support the lemon X07 series. I guess we are reaching that point. Your choice of the X4000 over the 818 (or the 929) is an easy one. The X4000 has several features I want that the 818/929 doesn't have. Gapless FLAC streaming, analog sources in zone 2, dual independent HDMI outputs, Airplay, 12V triggers, variable pre-amp outs for zones, etc. From a feature standpoint, the X4000 looks like a home run from Denon, though I have not followed the owners thread to see how folks like it. For now, I have work-arounds for it's flaws and I'm pretty happy with my 818, so it's hard to justify replacing it.
GoatLocker is offline  
post #7679 of 9988 Old 08-05-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
neutro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 453
The Denon X4000's feature set is indeed basically the 818's feature set plus everything that I wished was there in the 818. tongue.gif Maybe I should have waited a bit longer before jumping on the 818.

The good thing is, for sure, my *next* AVR will have everything I want because now I know it can be done.

In the mean time... isn't the 818 supposed to turn on from standby when getting content pushed to it from a UPnP control point? It would make tremendous sense to me. Right now I must turn the 818 on manually using the Onkyo app before I can use a control point app.

neutro is offline  
post #7680 of 9988 Old 08-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Member
 
kpmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well here is the follow up on the no HDMI main out problem. Turned out to be a bad HDMI board. Took it to ABL Electronics in MI, they were great turned it around in a week and a half a very different service experience than some other locations report. Everything working now, just keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
kpmn is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off