Forum Jump: 

post #7741 of 9832 Old 08-23-2013, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Why do i not get any song information when i use vTuner ?
What i get is a nice station logo, playing time, station name and station signature.
Above the palying time i see --- , maybe thats the spot for song information ?

I just swiched back to Onkyo from a Marantz SR7007 and here vTuner did show song information.
So wat is wrong here, is there a setting that i missed that will show song information ?

Thx.....
I have the same problem, wrote this in post #7698, i was sending email to support and answer was that due tech limitation there is impossible to show this info !!!!! That totally ridiculas smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 9832 Old 08-24-2013, 01:12 PM

Greetings All,

I'm looking to buy an Onkyo 818 and am considering the open box sold by One Call through Amazon... does anyone have experience with these? It would seem that they should come with the full manufacturer's warranty, according to One Call's web site?

Thanks in advance...
post #7743 of 9832 Old 08-24-2013, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by myxylplyx View Post

Greetings All,

I'm looking to buy an Onkyo 818 and am considering the open box sold by One Call through Amazon... does anyone have experience with these? It would seem that they should come with the full manufacturer's warranty, according to One Call's web site?

Thanks in advance...

go directly through One Call, people have reported they received sealed units at open box prices.
post #7744 of 9832 Old 08-24-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

go directly through One Call, people have reported they received sealed units at open box prices.

This is true and happened to me.
post #7745 of 9832 Old 08-25-2013, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb4all View Post

This is true and happened to me.

Me too. When I called the open box wasn't available. In fact, I remember reading somewhere else a while back that a few others reported having the same experience. Bait-n-switch? Maybe. But I'm happy with my purchase from One Call because they were far more willing to negotiate price than all other outlets. Their service was excellent, and the unit came super fast and double boxed.

post #7746 of 9832 Old 08-25-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:

Yeah, unfortunately I've got a couple hundred bucks in Amazon gift cards I want to take advantage of, so I'll need to go through their Amazon store front. It's great to read that folks here have been happy with the open boxes they've received from One Call, as well as positive reviews of the company generally.

Thanks to everyone who replied!
post #7747 of 9832 Old 08-25-2013, 07:46 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by myxylplyx View Post

Yeah, unfortunately I've got a couple hundred bucks in Amazon gift cards I want to take advantage of, so I'll need to go through their Amazon store front. It's great to read that folks here have been happy with the open boxes they've received from One Call, as well as positive reviews of the company generally.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

I got my through the OneCall store on Amazon and it was brand new!
I too needed to use Amazon to get the no interest financing deal.
My 818 was double boxed and brand new.
I got it in May , enjoying it right now.
smile.gif
post #7748 of 9832 Old 08-29-2013, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey Guys,

Onkyo 818 owner struggling with subwoofer levels (and SPL levels in general) on my AVR.

I have had my NR818 for about 6 months and recently upgraded to new speakers and a different subwoofer. After setting them up, I placed my Audyssey microphone on a tripod and ran XT32 setup. When it asks to set the subwoofer level to 75db, my dead quiet room registered 44db on the Audyssey microphone, 26 on my cell phone SPL app and 28 on my Radio Shack SPL meter. I had to turn the dial on the subwoofer to just above off (8 o'clock) to get it at 75 db on the AVR while the SPL meters read in the 57-58db range. I completed my calibration and it set the sub at -0.5db at a distance of 18 feet (actually about 12ft, not a big deal). The other speaker distances and trims seemed reasonable.

Out of curiousity, I got out my Spears &Muncil blu-ray and ran in through my PS3 with Audyssey on and Dynamic EQ on and went to the audio calibration section. I set the receiver to reference (0db) as instructed and got out the SPL meters again -- all the speakers were registering at 60.5db (give or take 0.5db) and the subwoofer was significantly lower again.. I had to raise the subwoofer trim on the AVR to +9db (a total of 21.5db) to get it to read 60db on my meters. Shouldn't they have all been reading 75db?

Before switching to a new sub (Def Tech Supercube Reference) I had two Polk PSW505s that I also had to turn the gain down to just about off before they would register 75db on the microphone. I'm now wondering if perhaps I have a faulty microphone or if there is something wrong with my receiver?

I've done a little research online and it appears select others are having these issues as well. Here is one such example: http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-ampli ... -xt32.html (See post #17).

I followed the AVS Forum guide to successful Audyssey calibrations exactly and have tried numerous different positions of the subwoofer, so I know I'm doing it right -- no ambient noise, etc. and I have the most current firmware on the NR818. It just seems weird that I get better bass response from my two Polk RTiA9's on full range (no sub) than I do with a sub connected.

Any suggestions?
post #7749 of 9832 Old 08-29-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 126

Because of the major discrepancy in measured sub level I would look for a replacement mic and/or receiver.  Agree that something does not appear right.

post #7750 of 9832 Old 08-29-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Because of the major discrepancy in measured sub level I would look for a replacement mic and/or receiver.  Agree that something does not appear right.

I'll call Onkyo tomorrow, hopefully its the mic and not the avr.. Although its under warranty.
post #7751 of 9832 Old 08-30-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 423
Yeah that looks like a defective mic. Or AVR, but more likely the mic. Anyway, it will be easy to test a replacement mic; if it doesn't change anything, then you'll get a replacement AVR.

post #7752 of 9832 Old 08-30-2013, 01:34 PM

Looks like there is new firmware for the TX-NR818 as of 8-28-2013...

New Version = 1131-0104-0201-0000
Quote:
The 8/28/2013 update will address the following: UPDATE AVAILABLE ONLY via USB
1. Improves picture output of 4K up-scaling;
2. Format change of Rhapsody is scheduled in the near future. To correspond this change, you should apply this
update.
post #7753 of 9832 Old 08-30-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwick537 View Post

Hey Guys,

Onkyo 818 owner struggling with subwoofer levels (and SPL levels in general) on my AVR...

It just seems weird that I get better bass response from my two Polk RTiA9's on full range (no sub) than I do with a sub connected.

Maybe I am misunderstanding. It sounds like you swapped in new speakers/subs, and re-ran Audyssey, and got different values. I would expect that, as speakers will have different efficiencies.

Then you ran a test with a BluRay disc, and did not get the values you expected there either. I see two possible reasons for this.

One, you had Dynamic EQ on. Dynamic EQ changes the output at certain frequencies depending on the volume you set as well as possibly the room characteristics determined by Audyssey calibration. I do not know for sure but I suspect that Dynamic EQ might be making adjustments to your output even when listening at reference level.

Two, there is the test software itself. Maybe... it's not so good. I don't know, I am just saying, it's possible.

If you get repeatable results with the built-in Audyssey features and mic, and if the system sounds good, I suspect it is working as intended. Seeing a lower value on some other test disc is not necessarily an indication of a problem. You know that old saying, a man with two watches is never sure what time it is.

Though, I have to agree it's weird you are getting better bass without the sub connected!

I called Onkyo's tech support line recently and was really impressed with the quality of the phone staff. I suggest giving them a call--they are around 24/7. I have also had quick responses from the mods at the official support forums. Good luck, and let us know what you find.
post #7754 of 9832 Old 08-31-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post

Maybe I am misunderstanding. It sounds like you swapped in new speakers/subs, and re-ran Audyssey, and got different values. I would expect that, as speakers will have different efficiencies.

Then you ran a test with a BluRay disc, and did not get the values you expected there either. I see two possible reasons for this.

One, you had Dynamic EQ on. Dynamic EQ changes the output at certain frequencies depending on the volume you set as well as possibly the room characteristics determined by Audyssey calibration. I do not know for sure but I suspect that Dynamic EQ might be making adjustments to your output even when listening at reference level.

Two, there is the test software itself. Maybe... it's not so good. I don't know, I am just saying, it's possible.

If you get repeatable results with the built-in Audyssey features and mic, and if the system sounds good, I suspect it is working as intended. Seeing a lower value on some other test disc is not necessarily an indication of a problem. You know that old saying, a man with two watches is never sure what time it is.

Though, I have to agree it's weird you are getting better bass without the sub connected!

I called Onkyo's tech support line recently and was really impressed with the quality of the phone staff. I suggest giving them a call--they are around 24/7. I have also had quick responses from the mods at the official support forums. Good luck, and let us know what you find.

I talked to Onkyo on Friday and they are going to send me a new mic -- in the meantime I found someone locally with a similar Onkyo (NR-3010) and borrowed their microphone. As soon as I plugged it in, I knew it was my mic. My Radio Shack meter and the Audyssey mic both displayed 78db, I ran Audyssey and it set my sub trim to -3.5db. Upped to it to 0db; set it to the movie curve, Dynamic EQ on and threw in How to Train Your Dragon -- I've found my lost bass! Demoed a few other favorite scenes (Incredible Hulk outside the university, LotR Fellowship of the Ring the Balrog) and everything sounded absolutely outstanding at -15db.

Threw in the same test CD and all the trim levels were at 75-77db (sub at 78-80db) at reference.

Case closed =)

Oh, another quick question. In the receiver menu, it lets you increase or decrease the LFE level. I know the LFE channel typically gets a +10db increase on blu-rays, so I should just leave this at 0db correct?

Thanks!
post #7755 of 9832 Old 09-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbmachines View Post

Looks like there is new firmware for the TX-NR818 as of 8-28-2013...

New Version = 1131-0104-0201-0000
Quote:
The 8/28/2013 update will address the following: UPDATE AVAILABLE ONLY via USB
1. Improves picture output of 4K up-scaling;
2. Format change of Rhapsody is scheduled in the near future. To correspond this change, you should apply this
update.

Thanks for pointing this out!

It's great Onkyo continues to improve/fix...

I'm still on the firmware that fixed the 24p problem.

Anyone tried out the new firmware yet?
post #7756 of 9832 Old 09-01-2013, 05:21 PM

chadwick537 -- glad you got it figured out. Can't help with the BluRay question though.

New firmware--available on the web only? My unit did not show a new firmware when I let it check itself.
post #7757 of 9832 Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

If it aint broke dont touch!
post #7758 of 9832 Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post

chadwick537 -- glad you got it figured out. Can't help with the BluRay question though.

New firmware--available on the web only? My unit did not show a new firmware when I let it check itself.
Quote:

More then likely USB only download.
post #7759 of 9832 Old 09-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

smile.gif

Yup. I've been living by that rule (shown that I'm still on the 24p fix version). But I'm feeling the urge to upgrade this time!
post #7760 of 9832 Old 09-02-2013, 03:42 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lion46 View Post

Maybe, but if I am willing to pay the difference.... I want 9.2 if I'm going to get a replacement. We'll see.
I
i have my 818 set with 9.2 with the external amp. But actually it is actually 10.2 since I have surround back center set as well with all Klipsch Ref speakers. Fronts, front heights, front wide, surround, center front, center back, and 2 subs. Wife wants to know if I can hear! Matched with my Sony XBR 65 HX950 that was just calibrated. Or so Best Buy said it was. Thanks to my 818 I can use the Vivid mode and then adjust with the ISF day/night modes the picture is better than the calibrated imputs. The problem i am having now is my HDMI imputs are losing volume. It appears that they gradually get worse and only 2 now are actually working correctly. I am getting ready to do a factory reset and try to fix the other HDMI imputs.
post #7761 of 9832 Old 09-03-2013, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwick537 View Post

Oh, another quick question. In the receiver menu, it lets you increase or decrease the LFE level. I know the LFE channel typically gets a +10db increase on blu-rays, so I should just leave this at 0db correct?

Thanks!

Think its only decrease LFE level, not increase, and 0db is standard like it should be.
post #7762 of 9832 Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 AM

I updated via USB last Friday. Everything working perfectly fine as before. No hiccups, kept all my settings, etc.
post #7763 of 9832 Old 09-03-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I checked on Onkyo 's website and see this... . . HDMI Support for 3D, Audio Return Channel and CEC..... . ......nr-818 has no check mark on the compare button but the 828 is checked..

Is 3D pass through supported on the 818?
And does it also support arc?
post #7764 of 9832 Old 09-04-2013, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by whotony View Post

I checked on Onkyo 's website and see this... . . HDMI Support for 3D, Audio Return Channel and CEC..... . ......nr-818 has no check mark on the compare button but the 828 is checked..

Yes.
Yes.

post #7765 of 9832 Old 09-04-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:

Some things you have to download the user manual to check out.

While many sites won't let you compare discontinued models, the user manuals will in general download just fine.
post #7766 of 9832 Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Quote:

Some things you have to download the user manual to check out.

While many sites won't let you compare discontinued models, the user manuals will in general download just fine.

Also, isn't the 929 more comparable to the 818?

GO BLUE
post #7767 of 9832 Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 AM

I just ordered the 818 to replace my 6 year old 705. I hope I made the right decision in getting the 818 over the newer 828. I'm using it solely for Home Theater (no Music). The only thing that concerns me is the 828 had 4k passthru. Not sure if I'll really need that or not anytime soon.
post #7768 of 9832 Old 09-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamers View Post

I hope I made the right decision in getting the 818 over the newer 828.

The 828 is not the 2013 replacement for the 818. Its not even in the same class.
migraine24-7 likes this.
post #7769 of 9832 Old 09-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post

Quote:

I hope I made the right decision in getting the 818 over the newer 828.

The 828 is not the 2013 replacement for the 818. Its not even in the same class.

Exactly! If you want this years model that is most equivalent then look at the 929.

GO BLUE
post #7770 of 9832 Old 09-04-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

I just ordered the 818 to replace my 6 year old 705. I hope I made the right decision in getting the 818 over the newer 828. I'm using it solely for Home Theater (no Music). The only thing that concerns me is the 828 had 4k passthru. Not sure if I'll really need that or not anytime soon.

Even though Onkyo added some features to the 828, they also left out a few features compared to the 818. I doubt you'll need the 4K passthru anytime soon (the 818 will pass a 4K signal also). The 818 is no slouch for music.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page