Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks for the response. I ordered it. I shall see.....smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Regardless of what brand of AVR is used, virtually everyone that has upgraded from XT to XT32 has noted a "noticeable" improvement in audio quality (which is to be expected with 32x more speaker resolution filters and 4x more sub resolution filters used with XT). Also note the feature that benefits 2 or more subs is Sub EQ HT (which is missing on the 818 and the 929) which is separate and distinct from XT32.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 9825 Old 09-11-2013, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

I have an 809, the 818 can't be that big of an upgrade, could it? I only have one sub (HSU VTF15) and use an amp, B&K 200x7. Is the xt32 upgrade that noticeable?
I saw an improvement overall in sound quality upgrading from the 809.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #7833 of 9825 Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post

I just pulled the trigger on the Amazon deal. I've been suffering with the technical quirks in my Emotiva UMC-1 for a couple years now, and need to try something else. I've always liked the sound of the UMC-1, so it will be interesting to see if the 818 will sound similar. I also have an XPA-5, so I'll have to listen to both the 818 amps and the XPA-5 to see if I can hear a difference at nominal listening levels.

I had been waiting for the XMC-1, but they just announced a $2000 price tag, so I decided to give Onkyo a try.

depends on your ears but I did notice the diff between running speakers through the 818 and the XPA3
post #7834 of 9825 Old 09-11-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

I saw an improvement overall in sound quality upgrading from the 809.

As did I, but its up to your ears to decide that for you...
post #7835 of 9825 Old 09-11-2013, 09:02 PM

Liked: 10
649 plus No Tax...this is a deal... Bought...
post #7836 of 9825 Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 PM
GPM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post

Denon x4000, then you are into pre/amp land of AV8801... (For Audyssey belivers)

Thanks, I've no experience with any room correction programs, so have no preference, though I've yet to audition a mid-fi HT that impressed me and why I've stuck with a 2.1 system for so long.

Is any of the Elite receivers/room correction better performers?

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #7837 of 9825 Old 09-11-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post

Thanks, I've no experience with any room correction programs, so have no preference, though I've yet to audition a mid-fi HT that impressed me and why I've stuck with a 2.1 system for so long.

Is any of the Elite receivers/room correction better performers?

GM

Out of all the room corrections in each companies arsenal people seem to like the Audyssey the most from what I have read over the last year or so.
post #7838 of 9825 Old 09-11-2013, 09:19 PM
GPM

Hmm, just now looked at the 818's connections and with no S-video or tape it's not for me.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #7839 of 9825 Old 09-11-2013, 09:23 PM
GPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

Out of all the room corrections in each companies arsenal people seem to like the Audyssey the most from what I have read over the last year or so.

OK, thanks! Nothing's changed then since I last looked at receivers back when the Denon 3808 was the 'hot ticket'.

GM

post #7840 of 9825 Old 09-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Quote:

Hmm, just now looked at the 818's connections and with no S-video or tape it's not for me.

GM

It's not going to be easy finding a newer model receiver with S-video. It's being fazed out. It wasn't heavy adopted over the course of its life. And everything new is of course HDMI,component or at the least composite. I wish you good luck tho. smile.gif Let us know what you find.

GO BLUE
post #7841 of 9825 Old 09-11-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:

GM

There is adapters you can buy on Amazon and Ebay. Do not let that stop you from buying a new receiver these days.
post #7842 of 9825 Old 09-12-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

I have an 809, the 818 can't be that big of an upgrade, could it? I only have one sub (HSU VTF15) and use an amp, B&K 200x7. Is the xt32 upgrade that noticeable?

Yes - XT32 is a hugely significant upgrade over all other versions of Audyssey.

This FAQ answer goes into the differences in more detail:

h)2.   What is the difference between the various versions of MultEQ?

post #7843 of 9825 Old 09-12-2013, 07:33 AM

I switched from a TX-SR876 (Audyssey XT) to the TX-NR818 (XT32).

The difference in the room calibration between XT and XT32 is staggering!

I liked the sound of the 876 but the 'sound envelope' seems much more balanced wit the 818.

I have also switched the radiator back on in the room as the 818 puts out much less heat than the 876 did...
post #7844 of 9825 Old 09-12-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

trying to download latest firmware, but 818 is telling me my thumb drive has "no item". The file is there, AVROOOE_Release. My current version is 1120-8103-0101-000, which I installed on 2/28/2013

Let me try this again...I downloaded the zip file to my USB drive, extracted the folders to the same drive, plugged the USB into the 818's front USB input, punched ENTER, and...nothing.
post #7845 of 9825 Old 09-12-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post

I just pulled the trigger on the Amazon deal. I've been suffering with the technical quirks in my Emotiva UMC-1 for a couple years now, and need to try something else. I've always liked the sound of the UMC-1, so it will be interesting to see if the 818 will sound similar. I also have an XPA-5, so I'll have to listen to both the 818 amps and the XPA-5 to see if I can hear a difference at nominal listening levels.

I had been waiting for the XMC-1, but they just announced a $2000 price tag, so I decided to give Onkyo a try.

I have an 818 with an XPA-5. I am really happy with this setup. I have not tried the 818 without the a.amp (except for zone 2), so I can't comment on the 818 amp section.
post #7846 of 9825 Old 09-12-2013, 06:19 PM

I use zone 2 of the 818 for my outdoor speakers and control everything with an app on my Droid. Very cool and convenient,, when it works. I use it almost every weekend, but it seems I have to reconfigure the network in the 818's network setup to get the thing up and running again. Otherwise a very nice feature.

When I buy CD's from Amazon, most are available for immediate auto-rip to my computer. These files will play on every source in the house except the 818. The 818 recognizes the file names, but will skip over the song and go to the next song in the playlist. I am thinking there may be some some digital rights issue? Older files purchased from Amazon long ago will play without a problem.
post #7847 of 9825 Old 09-12-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 423
I've had a bit of trouble streaming audio via DLNA to my 818. I fixed some of the problems, found workaround for others and some still elude me.

I've already mentioned the vital "DMR Max Volume" setting if one is using a DLNA control point to push a stream to the 818. That setting has a default of zero, meaning that if a DLNA control point uses the 818 as a DLNA media renderer (aka DMR), then the default is to be muted. One can raise the volume during playback from the DLNA control point, but at each track the 818's volume is muted again, unless the DMR Max Volume is set to something higher such as 100 (max value). And the tricky part is that this setting is not accessible in any of the 818's menus: it's only found in the app or the 818's web page.

Now if one is using a third-party DLNA control point (such as the excellent BubbleUPNP app for Android), one sometimes gets a "750 Transport Locked Error". This is typically because the receiver is already set to NET / DLNA source, and already getting controlled by another app, typically the Onkyo Remote app. It looks like the easiest workaround to this is to use the Onkyo Remote app to set the 818 to another source completely. Then it can freely receive a new DLNA request and stream.

In that regard, the Onkyo Remote app, at least on Android, is still vital since it allows this source toggling, and also to actually turn on the device. Most bizarrely, the 818 doesn't wake from standby if it gets a DLNA streaming request. It must be explicitly turned on before, which is a PITA IMHO. If I'm wrong on this account, please tell me how you manage to stream to the 818 with a general purpose DLNA control point software (i.e. not designed specifically for Onkyo receivers) without using another app to turn it on first.

Playing songs from a latest-generation iPad through USB worked well. I was pleased to be able to use either my remote or the iPad to select songs. However after some time, the 818 goes to standby in the middle of a playlist. The iPad is still awake so it's not the problem. It looks like the 818 is blind to the fact that the USB source is active and goes to standby unless the timeout is disabled. I'll have to test with another USB device to see if this is reproducible.

Streaming a playlist full of FLACs using BubbleUPNP recently, the receiver actually froze a total of 3 times. Playback works and is very nice... but in the middle of the playlist, it stops, and the 818 is then totally frozen. The Onkyo Remote app can't find it anymore on the network, nor does the BubbleUPNP app. Using the remote, the NET functions are not available. The entire network stack seemed to be down and the receiver had to be rebooted (i.e. disconnected and reconnected) to be back online again. So far it never happened playing MP3s, so I wonder if FLAC streaming is broken or if there is some sort of problem using BubbleUPNP. I'll have to try streaming FLACs using the Onkyo Remote app to see if the freezes also occur.

All in all I find using the streaming features a bit more tedious than it has to and the quirks are getting on my nerves. The streaming capabilities of the receiver were a very important feature to me as I want to be able to listen to music with a few swipes and taps on many mobile devices, without having to be physically watching a GUI on the TV. I'm oogling the Denon AVR-X4000 right now rolleyes.gif

post #7848 of 9825 Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINYLFREAK4 View Post

I got my through the OneCall store on Amazon and it was brand new!
I too needed to use Amazon to get the no interest financing deal.
My 818 was double boxed and brand new.
I got it in May , enjoying it right now.
smile.gif

Yep. I, too, purchased what I thought was an open box NR-818 from Onecall, and when I received it about a week and a half ago, it was brand new, double-boxed. Nice. Great price too.
post #7849 of 9825 Old 09-12-2013, 10:53 PM

i have a onkyo cr-n 755 music system

it s a 2013 model system. but i m not sure if it has apple airplay

do i have to use it with apple tv with optic cable connection? does it give losseless audio?

http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/cr-n755-90333.html
post #7850 of 9825 Old 09-12-2013, 10:56 PM

it says

"The CR-N755’s ability to play music from such a wide range of sources is its best asset. You can play CDs, plug an iPod, iPhone or flash drive into the front or back USB port or stream files from servers on your home network thanks to its DLNA v1.5 certification. Don’t forget that you can add Apple docking and AirPlay by purchasing Onkyo’s DS-A5 (£150). As you’d expect the list of supported music formats via DLNA and USB is comprehensive – MP3, WMA Lossless, FLAC, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, LPCM, Apple Lossless and DSD."

http://www.trustedreviews.com/onkyo-cr-n755_Portable-Audio_review
post #7851 of 9825 Old 09-13-2013, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

I've had a bit of trouble streaming audio via DLNA to my 818. I fixed some of the problems, found workaround for others and some still elude me.

I've already mentioned the vital "DMR Max Volume" setting if one is using a DLNA control point to push a stream to the 818. That setting has a default of zero, meaning that if a DLNA control point uses the 818 as a DLNA media renderer (aka DMR), then the default is to be muted. One can raise the volume during playback from the DLNA control point, but at each track the 818's volume is muted again, unless the DMR Max Volume is set to something higher such as 100 (max value). And the tricky part is that this setting is not accessible in any of the 818's menus: it's only found in the app or the 818's web page.

Now if one is using a third-party DLNA control point (such as the excellent BubbleUPNP app for Android), one sometimes gets a "750 Transport Locked Error". This is typically because the receiver is already set to NET / DLNA source, and already getting controlled by another app, typically the Onkyo Remote app. It looks like the easiest workaround to this is to use the Onkyo Remote app to set the 818 to another source completely. Then it can freely receive a new DLNA request and stream.

In that regard, the Onkyo Remote app, at least on Android, is still vital since it allows this source toggling, and also to actually turn on the device. Most bizarrely, the 818 doesn't wake from standby if it gets a DLNA streaming request. It must be explicitly turned on before, which is a PITA IMHO. If I'm wrong on this account, please tell me how you manage to stream to the 818 with a general purpose DLNA control point software (i.e. not designed specifically for Onkyo receivers) without using another app to turn it on first.

Playing songs from a latest-generation iPad through USB worked well. I was pleased to be able to use either my remote or the iPad to select songs. However after some time, the 818 goes to standby in the middle of a playlist. The iPad is still awake so it's not the problem. It looks like the 818 is blind to the fact that the USB source is active and goes to standby unless the timeout is disabled. I'll have to test with another USB device to see if this is reproducible.

Streaming a playlist full of FLACs using BubbleUPNP recently, the receiver actually froze a total of 3 times. Playback works and is very nice... but in the middle of the playlist, it stops, and the 818 is then totally frozen. The Onkyo Remote app can't find it anymore on the network, nor does the BubbleUPNP app. Using the remote, the NET functions are not available. The entire network stack seemed to be down and the receiver had to be rebooted (i.e. disconnected and reconnected) to be back online again. So far it never happened playing MP3s, so I wonder if FLAC streaming is broken or if there is some sort of problem using BubbleUPNP. I'll have to try streaming FLACs using the Onkyo Remote app to see if the freezes also occur.

All in all I find using the streaming features a bit more tedious than it has to and the quirks are getting on my nerves. The streaming capabilities of the receiver were a very important feature to me as I want to be able to listen to music with a few swipes and taps on many mobile devices, without having to be physically watching a GUI on the TV. I'm oogling the Denon AVR-X4000 right now rolleyes.gif

I use both BubbleUPnP and the Onkyo app for Android. I like the UI on the Bubble, but the Onkyo app has worked flawlessly for my wife and I. FLAC, WAV (including 96/24), and WMAL all stream without interruption.

post #7852 of 9825 Old 09-13-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I would be very interested to know if your WMA is lossless. Mine is hit or miss on my complete WMA lossless encoded library, via PLEX, the DLNA, or Home Media apps...I can see every song, but it may, or may not play.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #7853 of 9825 Old 09-13-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Is there a site to download the July 2012 firmware for a USB install? It is version 1100 etc. The firmware site says I need this in order to upgrade to future firmwwares.

I just ordered the 818 yesterday from Amazon and do not expect it to come with recent firmware. I will be replacing a working 805. Firmware updates with this model were not easy.
post #7854 of 9825 Old 09-13-2013, 06:18 AM

The current TX-NR818 firmware is:

As of 28 August 2013
http://download.onkyo.com/AVR000E/ONKAVR000E_MAMAMAMAM9MAMA_115.zip

As of 13 June 2013
http://download.onkyo.com/AVR000E/ONKAVR000E_MAMAMAMAM9MAMA_114.zip

As of 28 February 2013
http://download.onkyo.com/AVR000E/ONKAVR000E_MAMAMAMAM9MAMA_113.zip

Any older and you will need to contact Onkyo directly to get it but you should be able to update across the network directly.

This option was disabled in later firmwares.

Nick
post #7855 of 9825 Old 09-13-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulhamx5 View Post

it says

"The CR-N755’s ability to play music from such a wide range of sources is its best asset. You can play CDs, plug an iPod, iPhone or flash drive into the front or back USB port or stream files from servers on your home network thanks to its DLNA v1.5 certification. Don’t forget that you can add Apple docking and AirPlay by purchasing Onkyo’s DS-A5 (£150). As you’d expect the list of supported music formats via DLNA and USB is comprehensive – MP3, WMA Lossless, FLAC, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, LPCM, Apple Lossless and DSD."

In my opinion, the DS-A5 adapter is a very dubious product. It acts as a dock for Apple products and as an AirPlay receiver, which makes the dock function redundant. However, it is not connected to the Onkyo via HDMI (presumably in order to be able to work on Zones 2 and 3) but instead through an analog connection, meaning that you can't AirPlay HD video! And this, for about twice the price of an AppleTV, which has far better AirPlay compatibility of course.

Note that you should connect the AppleTV through HDMI -- it's the easiest way and also the only way that would allow HD audio to be sent to the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post

I use both BubbleUPnP and the Onkyo app for Android. I like the UI on the Bubble, but the Onkyo app has worked flawlessly for my wife and I. FLAC, WAV (including 96/24), and WMAL all stream without interruption.

To be fair, the Onkyo app does work rather well; but it's lacking in features. For example, as far as I can tell, there is no way to build a playlist out of items found on a DLNA server from the Onkyo app. For me it's the main reason I'm using BubbleUPNP instead. There's also the nagging volume slider that makes it impossible to fine tune the level in the Onkyo app.

post #7856 of 9825 Old 09-13-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

The info when I downloaded the Aug 28 firmware was that I needed the July 2012 firmware before I could update to the later versions. I would like to do this by usb if possible . So how would I best update to the July 2012 version.

Thanks!

Joel
post #7857 of 9825 Old 09-13-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

In my opinion, the DS-A5 adapter is a very dubious product. It acts as a dock for Apple products and as an AirPlay receiver, which makes the dock function redundant. However, it is not connected to the Onkyo via HDMI (presumably in order to be able to work on Zones 2 and 3) but instead through an analog connection, meaning that you can't AirPlay HD video! And this, for about twice the price of an AppleTV, which has far better AirPlay compatibility of course.

Note that you should connect the AppleTV through HDMI -- it's the easiest way and also the only way that would allow HD audio to be sent to the receiver.
To be fair, the Onkyo app does work rather well; but it's lacking in features. For example, as far as I can tell, there is no way to build a playlist out of items found on a DLNA server from the Onkyo app. For me it's the main reason I'm using BubbleUPNP instead. There's also the nagging volume slider that makes it impossible to fine tune the level in the Onkyo app.

Does JR River work with the 818 for DLNA?
post #7858 of 9825 Old 09-13-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Does JR River work with the 818 for DLNA?

JRiver MC19 works beautifully with my NR717, NR3010 and NR5010 with DLNA. No reason why it shouldn't with the NR818.
post #7859 of 9825 Old 09-13-2013, 04:08 PM

I bit the bullet the other day on the Amazon deal of the day. My new 818 arrives this evening. I was wondering if there is a particular post in the ~7800 that can point a newb in the right direction for initial set up. I have read a good portion of the posts and done some cursory searches but did not see anything for basic setup best practices.

I am replacing an older Denon that had Audyessy MultiEQ so I am no completely at a loss. I guess what I am really asking is there a basic checklist of items to do (maybe in order) - e.g. setup networking, download and update firmware, run Audyessy. Maybe I answered my own question there, but I know that owners that have had this unit for awhile, must have some tips to share.

I will be connection this to Paradigm Studio 100 V3s as my mains with CC 570 as a center and ADP 470s for rears - no sub.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to say, I am not looking for Audyssey help. I have the setup guide for that and obviously the extensive thread on this forum.
post #7860 of 9825 Old 09-13-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got the unit from the sale. I followed the easy set up instructions. Needed to set IP address and then turn off and then on to get network connectivity . DLNA worked fine etc. I am now doing firmware update. It came with firmware that was a 111 do the update via USB could be done.

Once the update is over, assuming all goes well I will run a full calibration tomorrow.

Edt: Firmware update went well.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page