Forum Jump: 

post #8011 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post

If my brand new AVR required a ghetto PC fan jimmy-rig in order to work properly, I'd spend my money somewhere else. I don't think the 818 needs a fan.

Totally agree. My 818 does not need any type of external fan. Even when cranking the volume for extended periods, it does not get that warm. And with the install where bkreger is placing it on top of the entertainment center where it is open above, in front and to both sides, there is no need for an extra fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 11:55 AM

I've got a weird issue with the 818.
If I turn the tv on before the receiver, it defaults to multi-channel stereo even though the source is outputting 2 channel or dd5.1.
For instance, if all components are off, turn on cable box, tv, then 818 - output multichannel stereo.
Or, am watching tv using the tv speakers with the 818 off (cable box set as pass through), then turn on the 818 - multi-chananel stereo.
The solution is to turn the tv off then back on which resets everything correctly.

Anyone have any idea why it would do this? It sounds like a weird hdmi handshake issue but it happens all the time.
post #8013 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by realjetavenger View Post

Or, am watching tv using the tv speakers with the 818 off

This is forbidden in my house. (-;
migraine24-7 likes this.

My priorities? Each one of my speakers weighs more than my VT60.
post #8014 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:

I've got a weird issue with the 818.
If I turn the tv on before the receiver, it defaults to multi-channel stereo even though the source is outputting 2 channel or dd5.1.
For instance, if all components are off, turn on cable box, tv, then 818 - output multichannel stereo.
Or, am watching tv using the tv speakers with the 818 off (cable box set as pass through), then turn on the 818 - multi-chananel stereo.
The solution is to turn the tv off then back on which resets everything correctly.

Anyone have any idea why it would do this? It sounds like a weird hdmi handshake issue but it happens all the time.

But seriously, have you tried changing the default sound setting for the DVR input? Maybe it is set on multi-channel stereo, instead of direct, or stereo, etc. To be honest, I can't tell when I should expect the 818 to automatically select the proper format from the HDMI stream, versus when it is suppose to allow me to override it with my user selectable options. So far, it hasn't been an issue for me personally.

post #8015 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:

This is forbidden in my house. (-;

Hah. :-)
It's very rare that I do that. Usually early in the morning or late at night when I don't need the surround, just need to be able to barely hear what's going on.
post #8016 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:

But seriously, have you tried changing the default sound setting for the DVR input? Maybe it is set on multi-channel stereo, instead of direct, or stereo, etc. To be honest, I can't tell when I should expect the 818 to automatically select the proper format from the HDMI stream, versus when it is suppose to allow me to override it with my user selectable options. So far, it hasn't been an issue for me personally.

I'll have to go into it to make sure something didn't get changed but it should not be defaulting to multi-channel. I don't think that's even an option on the box.
post #8017 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi I would like to know if the Onkyo 818 could handle these three (4 ohms) speakers ( 1-center & 2-Surrounds). Please note I am only connecting the three speakers to the Receiver only. The other speakers will run off an external amp. I am just looking at different ways to set up the speakers and my other options are good, but just wonder if the 818 could handle the task of the three 4 ohm speakers.

2 X Emotiva ERD-1 (Surround Right & Left )

Technical Specifications

4 Ohms

One 5.25" Woofer, Two 25mm tweeters

Sensitivity: 89db (2.83volts @ 1 Meter)

Recommended amplifier power: 50-200 Watts RMS

Frequency response: 80-20Khz +/-2db

1 X Emotiva ERM-6.3 Center Monitor

Technical Specifications

4 Ohms

Two 6.5" Woofers, Two 4" woofers, One 25mm tweeter

Sensitivity: 89db (2.83volts @ 1 Meter)

Recommended amplifier power: 50-350 Watts RMS

Frequency response: 80hz-20kHz +/-2db

Thanks.
post #8018 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 12:58 PM

From the manual:

Speaker Connection Precautions
Read the following before connecting your speakers:

You can connect speakers with an impedance of between
4 and 16 ohms. If the impedance of any of the connected
speakers is 4 ohms or more, but less than 6 ohms, be sure
to set the minimum speaker impedance to “4ohms”
( ➔ page 59). If you use speakers with a lower
impedance, and use the amplifier at high volume levels
for a long period of time, the built-in protection circuit
may be activated.

post #8019 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:

From the manual:

Speaker Connection Precautions
Read the following before connecting your speakers:

You can connect speakers with an impedance of between
4 and 16 ohms. If the impedance of any of the connected
speakers is 4 ohms or more, but less than 6 ohms, be sure
to set the minimum speaker impedance to “4ohms”
( ➔ page 59). If you use speakers with a lower
impedance, and use the amplifier at high volume levels
for a long period of time, the built-in protection circuit
may be activated.

Thanks for the info. Will download the manual again and look at page 59.

update: I took a look at the manual today and it says you can connect 4 Ohms speakers to the receiver. However, has any one tried the receiver with 4 Ohms speakers and could it handle the load without any problems? and if so, do you think it can handle my 3 speakers without any problems. I will have them on my external amp, but just wondering how does the Onkyo handle 4 ohms. I looked around the net but I cant find any info or test on the receiver with a full load in 8 ohms or 4 ohms etc, but I see some test for the higher end models.

Thanks
post #8020 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I posted this at the Audiokarma Klipsch forum but I thought I would post it here as well. I have replied here recently about obtaining a new 818 and being happy with the results but as you will see I am looking for answers....

I have had my Fortes for about a year now using a Onkyo 809 as a preamp and a B&K 200x7 for the juice. When setting up Audessey it set the mains crossover to 40, my Academy center to 60, the RS3 II surrounds to 80 and my KG 1.2 rears to 100. I also have a HSU VTF15 sub and it all blended great.

Recently Amazon had a sale on the Onkyo 818 so I picked it up. After going through the Audyssey step it set the Fortes to 150, academy to 60, surrounds to 80 and rears to 40. I have tried the setup 4 different times with all the results pretty much the same. The only thing that I have done between the two receivers differently is that I took the risers off the Fortes and put them on custom wood stands about 8" high. Could this be the culprit? or maybe the mic is bad? I tried the 809 mic for the fifth setup and pretty much have the same results although the Fortes are now at 120. The Fortes have new Crites crossover, titanium tweeters and new klipsch titanium mids? I am looking for answers? The setup with the 818 sounds great but I am concerned about the high crossover. They were correct with the 809 so I am confused. Thanks to anyone.
post #8021 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

I posted this at the Audiokarma Klipsch forum but I thought I would post it here as well. I have replied here recently about obtaining a new 818 and being happy with the results but as you will see I am looking for answers....

I have had my Fortes for about a year now using a Onkyo 809 as a preamp and a B&K 200x7 for the juice. When setting up Audessey it set the mains crossover to 40, my Academy center to 60, the RS3 II surrounds to 80 and my KG 1.2 rears to 100. I also have a HSU VTF15 sub and it all blended great.

Recently Amazon had a sale on the Onkyo 818 so I picked it up. After going through the Audyssey step it set the Fortes to 150, academy to 60, surrounds to 80 and rears to 40. I have tried the setup 4 different times with all the results pretty much the same. The only thing that I have done between the two receivers differently is that I took the risers off the Fortes and put them on custom wood stands about 8" high. Could this be the culprit? or maybe the mic is bad? I tried the 809 mic for the fifth setup and pretty much have the same results although the Fortes are now at 120. The Fortes have new Crites crossover, titanium tweeters and new klipsch titanium mids? I am looking for answers? The setup with the 818 sounds great but I am concerned about the high crossover. They were correct with the 809 so I am confused. Thanks to anyone.

I would go to the Audessey thread for expert answers. I will not claim to be an expert about Audessey but I know people have said if they raise or lower the mic height it affects the crossover points. So I would think moving the speaker would do the same. Don't fret too long, somebody better suited than I will answer your question soon.

GO BLUE
post #8022 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

The setup is determing the -3db point in your room, so you can through the speaker specs out the window.  My guess is you changing their placement slightly has put them in a null that Audyssey is seeing as the lower limit of the speakers.  Without measurement gear you pretty much have to do trial and error until they are in a better spot.  You could run just one measurement position and check the settings and keep doing until you find a placement that works best, then run the all positions of the setup with the speakers in that location.

post #8023 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 04:35 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post

My 818 arrives tomorrow. I also bought the UWB-1 wireless adapter. How is the range on these?

Would a wireless bridge be a better choice? I will have AV receiver on 3rd floor. Main wireless router on 1st floor.

The adapter works fine. I have no problem with the range.
post #8024 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake608 View Post

The adapter works fine. I have no problem with the range.
I will give it a try. If it does not work I will try a wireless bridge and see how that works.
post #8025 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

The 818 arrived! Will try it out this weekend!

It looks nice. I am going to return my Sony STR-DN1030 I got at Costco. The Sony was much less but lacks some features I wanted.
post #8026 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 06:51 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:

The 818 arrived! Will try it out this weekend!

It looks nice. I am going to return my Sony STR-DN1030 I got at Costco. The Sony was much less but lacks some features I wanted.

It would be interesting to do a sound comparison between the 2. I was considering the 818 but am really pleased with the sound of the Sony strdn1030.

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
post #8027 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

To all that have recently got an 818...

Cam you post what firmware came on it (and maybe a manufacture date)? I'm wondering if ...

1) Onkyo was still making them as of a few months ago
2) What was the latest firmware that Onkyo shipped on the 818...

Was asking to determine who was having good luck with the latest firmware and find out if any new 818s are coming with it...

Regardless, I decided to upgrade tonight. Very slow... much slower than when I upgraded to the 24p fix version. Took about 45 minutes.

All seems fine. Settings remained. Watched about an hour of TV through it.
realjetavenger likes this.
post #8028 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I will give it a try. If it does not work I will try a wireless bridge and see how that works.

how about network power plugs?
post #8029 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I'll have to go into it to make sure something didn't get changed but it should not be defaulting to multi-channel. I don't think that's even an option on the box.

do a factory reset if all else fails and start from scratch. More then likely a setting which is the cause of your issue.
post #8030 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 10:03 PM

Liked: 26
This is the receiver I've chosen to drive my Klispch RF-7ii HT system (shipping to me soon!). Will this receiver provide enough horsepower for primarily HT usage?
post #8031 of 9918 Old 09-25-2013, 10:28 PM

Klispch RF-7ii

SENSITIVITY: 101dB @ 2.83V / 1m
POWER HANDLING: 250W RMS / 1000W Peak
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible

With these specs, yes, the 818 is plenty strong enough. It will make your ears bleed if you so choose.

post #8032 of 9918 Old 09-26-2013, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

I would go to the Audessey thread for expert answers. I will not claim to be an expert about Audessey but I know people have said if they raise or lower the mic height it affects the crossover points. So I would think moving the speaker would do the same. Don't fret too long, somebody better suited than I will answer your question soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

The setup is determing the -3db point in your room, so you can through the speaker specs out the window.  My guess is you changing their placement slightly has put them in a null that Audyssey is seeing as the lower limit of the speakers.  Without measurement gear you pretty much have to do trial and error until they are in a better spot.  You could run just one measurement position and check the settings and keep doing until you find a placement that works best, then run the all positions of the setup with the speakers in that location.

Thank you both.
post #8033 of 9918 Old 09-26-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

do a factory reset if all else fails and start from scratch. More then likely a setting which is the cause of your issue.

Thanks.
Last night I went through all the settings and made a bunch of changes. So far, no joy. But there are still a few settings to change up. I'll try some more and if it still doesn't resolve the issue then do the reset.
post #8034 of 9918 Old 09-26-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you going to home in your remote and then to setup. Then to listening mode then to source to set your listening modes for each source?
post #8035 of 9918 Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 45
That is my suggestion as well...It has to be the setting that allows your saved preferences by source...you have the option to select last used or whichever you prefer for that source. For music, on a server, maybe two channel...BD, maybe one of the DSX or THX modes...all customizable.
I'd start there.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #8036 of 9918 Old 09-27-2013, 09:35 AM

Liked: 25
Updated to the latest firmware today. Took ages to update but all went smoothly.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #8037 of 9918 Old 09-27-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Are you going to home in your remote and then to setup. Then to listening mode then to source to set your listening modes for each source?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

That is my suggestion as well...It has to be the setting that allows your saved preferences by source...you have the option to select last used or whichever you prefer for that source. For music, on a server, maybe two channel...BD, maybe one of the DSX or THX modes...all customizable.
I'd start there.

Yep, that's exactly what I've been doing. Going through this way, all sources have the same settings for listening mode presets. Yet the problem only exists with the cable box defaulting to multichannel when turning the tv on first, even though this is not a preset that is used for any listening mode.
I've been making changes here but so far nothing has resolved the issue. I may try the latest firmware update and see if there is any change (which I doubt) and then maybe the reset.
post #8038 of 9918 Old 09-27-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Yep, that's exactly what I've been doing. Going through this way, all sources have the same settings for listening mode presets. Yet the problem only exists with the cable box defaulting to multichannel when turning the tv on first, even though this is not a preset that is used for any listening mode.
I've been making changes here but so far nothing has resolved the issue. I may try the latest firmware update and see if there is any change (which I doubt) and then maybe the reset.

Since it only happens with the cable box when you turn it on, what happens after you change a channel?  Does the surround mode change?

I ask because I have Dishnetwork and the hopper and there is a HDMI handshake issue where when I power everything up the hopper defaults to 2- channel, changing the channel it locks onto DD.  If i power up the Hopper last, after the receiver and TV are up then I get DD right away.

So just trying to see if it is a similar HDMI handshake/timing issue.

post #8039 of 9918 Old 09-27-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Is CEC turned on for the TV , if so turn it off. Also is tv audio return enabled?

You might try turning the tv on, then the cable box, and.then the Onkyo.
post #8040 of 9918 Old 09-27-2013, 02:27 PM

Liked: 10
I just got the tx-nr818, got it set up, and ran audyssey. I have a question on the listening modes for my PS3.
On my old unit, I always had my PS3 set on direct for True HD and DTS HD, because I was always told that for hd codecs, you want the raw sound stream without any processing. Is this correct? Also, on addition to direct, the 818 has the option for straight decode. What is the difference between direct and straight decode, and which should I use for blu ray movies?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page