Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 277 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8281 of 9857 Old 10-16-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Fascinating stuff... so if I understand correctly, the 2.8224 Mbps 1-bit resolution DSD stream is sent via HDMI as 8 channels of 8-bit streams at 44.1 kHz due to how audio is packaged in the HDMI spec?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8282 of 9857 Old 10-16-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

Fascinating stuff... so if I understand correctly, the 2.8224 Mbps 1-bit resolution DSD stream is sent via HDMI as 8 channels of 8-bit streams at 44.1 kHz due to how audio is packaged in the HDMI spec?

That is my take on it.

Just for yucks, if you Google "Onkyo, 44.1, DSD", there is a lot of discussion on the subject both here and elsewhere. Many users going back to the release of HDMI 2.1a were scratching their heads wondering why their AVR's were showing what appeared to be a sampling rate of 44.1 when getting raw DSD.

Of course, what the 818 does with DSD when in Direct or Pure Direct remains an open question, but at least it appears that the DSD stream is arriving unmolested. And it is expected and understood that as soon as Bass Management, Time Alignment, Audyssey and any other bit of processing is engaged, an internal conversion to PCM will take place.
post #8283 of 9857 Old 10-16-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

The DSD stream being 1-bit noise-shaped encoded, it takes a sigma-delta DAC to transform it to an analog waveform in hardware. I doubt a special DAC just for DSD streams is included in the 818 (though in might be possible). More probably, the DSD stream is converted to PCM in software and then goes through the standard DACs. However, it is entirely possible to keep the fidelity of the DSD stream in PCM format so this does not mean that the 818 molests the DSD stream smile.gif

post #8284 of 9857 Old 10-18-2013, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I've recently purchased this receiver and have it connected to a Windows 7/Core i3 PC with HDMI built in the motherboard. I can not get my receiver to play DTS-HD nor TrueHD when I play a blu-ray using PowerDVD. In the Windows control panel, when I go to Sound -> TX-NR818 is set as the default playback device. When I view the Supported Formats tab of the Properties page under Encoded Formats it is only showing DTS Audio, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital, but not DTS-HD nor TrueHD. I have the latest (I think?) drivers for the chipset and I've power cycled the receiver, PC and TV multiple times without any change. Does anyone else have their 818 connected to a PC that plays bitstream Blu-ray audio? Thanks!
post #8285 of 9857 Old 10-18-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Update on the Redmere cables. Have tivo, directv (thru Oppo) and Oppo running into the 818, and one out to display. All works A-OK.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #8286 of 9857 Old 10-18-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manstretch View Post

Hi,
I've recently purchased this receiver and have it connected to a Windows 7/Core i3 PC with HDMI built in the motherboard. I can not get my receiver to play DTS-HD nor TrueHD when I play a blu-ray using PowerDVD. In the Windows control panel, when I go to Sound -> TX-NR818 is set as the default playback device. When I view the Supported Formats tab of the Properties page under Encoded Formats it is only showing DTS Audio, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital, but not DTS-HD nor TrueHD. I have the latest (I think?) drivers for the chipset and I've power cycled the receiver, PC and TV multiple times without any change. Does anyone else have their 818 connected to a PC that plays bitstream Blu-ray audio? Thanks!

I have no idea if PowerDVD is able to bitstream audio to the receiver, but that would be the player's task to do it. The player software must be able to use Windows' WASAPI interface for this to work. Furthermore the HDMI playback device in Windows must be configured so that applications can take full control of the device.

I'm able to use XBMC to bitstream to the receiver so bitstreaming from a PC to the 818 is indeed possible (although XBMC can't play encrypted blu-rays). If not bitstreaming, then audio is decoded by the Windows codecs to multichannel PCM and system sounds are mixed into the stream. Which is not a terrible problem in my opinion wink.gif

post #8287 of 9857 Old 10-18-2013, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by manstretch View Post

Hi,

check if your video card supports the HD formats.
post #8288 of 9857 Old 10-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yes, pdvd can bitstream dts ma and dthd. I have the latest version of pdvd on my pc and i have an hdmi cable going into my pioneer receiver. There is no video card, he said it was on board hdmi. What mobo is it? And what onboard grafx chipset is in it?

When you play the movie in pdvd pause it. Right click on the screen and go to settings. Under the audio menu, make sure there is the following option, its usually the last one in the list. It says something like "high definition audio decoded by external device". You might have to do this every now and again. Sometimes this option changes for no reason from time to time. If that option is not there then it is a problem with the mobo/video drivers. The other options found usually say ".....decoded by pdvd." You dont want those.
post #8289 of 9857 Old 10-19-2013, 06:33 AM

My previous receiver was a Harman Kardon AVR 254 and this same PC had no issues detecting and playing DTS-HD and TrueHD streams. What really puzzles me is why doesn't Windows even recognize that the 818 supports these formats? Can someone else verify that DTS-HD and TrueHD are shown as supported formats in the control panel? When I look at the output "information" via PowerDVD or MPC-HC or Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater they all show that they are outputting DTS-HD to the receiver, but since Windows doesn't think the 818 supports it it's downmixing the output to DTS only.
post #8290 of 9857 Old 10-19-2013, 07:20 AM

Hi,

I wonder if there's any way to force the 818 to convert an RGB (HDMI pc) input to YCbCr (HDMI)?

Situation: Openelec (XBMC) only outputs RGB and apparently my Benq w5000 doesn't accept RGB via HDMI, only via RGBHV through the bnc connectors. When i try to calibrate I can't get the blacks and whites right, not even the colors. It won't show any blacker than black and I can't get it ti show the right amount of white neither. When watching movies it appears to me as if too many nuances are being shown as black, the same for white - black and white fields instead of detailed shadows or bright parts of the picture.

If someone has some other sort of workaround for my problem I'd be glad. I am trying to keep to openelec since I don't want to buy another 30Gb harddrive just for windows.

Thanks in advance!
post #8291 of 9857 Old 10-20-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJa View Post
does anyone actually use the video processing to improve picture? i figured if i buy this i will probably get my tv calibrated and just set the receiver to pass through the sources. also how does the ISF feature on this receiver work?
I know there is no price talk and i won't mention prices, but I am curious as to why the price is dropping significantly each day?EoRNcT Is there a receiver a level up being released soon (1018?)? If this thing drops price any further I may be pulling the trigger very soon.

I have my Direct TV (model HR24) set up to native and have the receiver upscale to 1080p no other enhancements (huge picture improvement IMO). For BD I pass through and let the BD do the processing, I no longer play DVDs so I can't answer for improvements in this area. Game consoles (xbox, ps3) I pass through as well but might switch to upscale to 1080p (on the fence with this)
I don't use ISF on the receiver I use the ones on my TV instead (day/night 65VT30)
Hope this helps

post #8292 of 9857 Old 10-20-2013, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Since I have a Lumagen Radiance Video Processor I had to go into detailed settings to make 100% sure the 818 wasn't doing anything to the video side other than passing it through. It was actually more involved than I felt it should be too, considering that in an amp it's a secondary function and probably hardly the last word in video processing. frown.gif I'm not convinced that it's anything really worth using unless your display's own upscaling/deinterlacing is below average. Having said that I'm not a fan of the upscaling of DVDO or Oppo that seems to put a 'ring' around items in an attempt to make it seem sharper, though I know that some prefer this approach.

Of course it's hard to buy something and not use all the features, but I'd recommend comparing the 818 upscaling with your player/display rather than using the feature just because it's there.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #8293 of 9857 Old 10-20-2013, 10:06 AM

I'm new to the 818. Pretty impressed with the sound quality so far. No sure about the video processing yet. It's running the latest firmware, 1131.
I have just one source connected, the Sony BDP-S5100 which puts out the sharpest picture I've seen yet. I'm temporarily connected to a Samsung 27" LED LCD. I have the 818's output set to 1080P and the picture mode set to direct. If i change the picture mode to through, I believe it kicks in the video processing and softens the picture. I based this on what I read on the net as well as my subjective impression when watching Pirates of the Caribbean (AWE).

I will eventually connect more devices and would like to have the receiver upscale those to 1080P.
Would be nice if it had a picture mode per input.
If I leave it in 1080P output mode and Direct for the source, will it optimally upscale the 480P / 720P HDMI sources (DTV, WII) or should I use through mode ?

Thanks,
-RJ.
post #8294 of 9857 Old 10-20-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I had a bit of trouble with the DLNA "play to" features of the 818. In a few occasions, I was trying to push a music from the BubbleUPnP Android app to the 818 and the whole network stack crashed, it seems. Impossible to find the 818 on the network anymore, and "Net" sources were grayed out in the menus. I had to reboot (by unplugging, waiting 5 sec and replugging) the unit for it to be seen on the network again.

I know -- per the manual -- that sometimes "playing to" using DLNA is not possible, typically when other DLNA features are currently in use on the 818. But the network stack crash is a bit annoying. Anybody had the same issues?

Otherwise, reading the manual, I just noted that "playing to" using DLNA is not possible... if "Zones are enabled". I was totally shocked to read that. So if I setup a 2nd zone (I already bought in-ceiling speakers for the kitchen), then I won't be able to use my phone or tablet to stream to the 818? That's nuts (if it's indeed the case). Are there exceptions to that (e.g. whole house party mode perhaps?)

post #8295 of 9857 Old 10-21-2013, 02:28 PM

Liked: 12
My 818 went tits up after only a year...Ugh! I thought it wouldn't happen to me but was wrong...

A week ago the 818 started getting glitchy...I'd fire up my system but sometimes the audio wouldn't come on unless I power cycled the receiver. There was no rhyme or reason to the anomoly...DTV, AppleTV, BRD or Xbox reacted the same. I went to look for a firmware update and found that my network connection was inactive. I couldn't get it to hook up to my router until I unplugged it from the power supply and plugged it back in but even that connection is unstable.

Last night I turned on my system and now there's no sound from any source and am unable to establish a network connection. I reset the AVR to factory configuration but that made no difference.

I don't expect any answers but simply venting over my frustration with Onkyo... I really like this receiver but the reliability of this product isn't impressing me...

Cheers.

Panasonic P65ZT60 display, Marantz SR7008 AV receiver, Paradigm Studio CC-490 v.5 center, Studio 60 v.5 fronts, Studio 20 v.5 rear/surround, Polk Audio OWM3 high and wides, HSU ULS-15 Dual Drive, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTV HR24 Receiver w/1TB drive, XBox 360, Logitech Harmony One
post #8296 of 9857 Old 10-21-2013, 04:57 PM

Hi

I am considering buying this receiver used but I had a question that I am not sure about after having read the manual.

I would like to have a powered zone 2 so that I can play my sirius xm internet radio there. I would also like to have 7.1 in the main room using front heights.

is this possible using the preouts to external amplifier? I am not sure from the manual. my 3009 couldn't do this and it was a factor in my selling
post #8297 of 9857 Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 PM

Liked: 15
Dont know if anyone has posted this already , but it looks like there is a new firmware update for the 818 dated 10-18-13.
Just an FYI
http://www.onkyousa.com/Downloads/firmware.php
post #8298 of 9857 Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by VINYLFREAK4 View Post

Dont know if anyone has posted this already , but it looks like there is a new firmware update for the 818 dated 10-18-13.
Just an FYI
http://www.onkyousa.com/Downloads/firmware.php

Just purchased mine a few weeks ago. Is there a firmware number list so I know exactly how many fixes I'm missing?
post #8299 of 9857 Old 10-22-2013, 01:14 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post

Just purchased mine a few weeks ago. Is there a firmware number list so I know exactly how many fixes I'm missing?
Not officially no.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #8300 of 9857 Old 10-22-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Firmware Update for the TX-NR818

The 10/18/2013 update will address the following: UPDATE AVAILABLE ONLY via USB (US ONLY)

1. Corrects lock up failure when using MiCasaVerde Vera Lite controller on the same network

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
post #8301 of 9857 Old 10-22-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlue777c View Post

I have my TV calibrated, or the closest thing Best Buy calls calibrated. I only use ISF Day/Night fir and changes I want during any viewing. Both work exactly how Day/Night should without altering the picture very much. It depends on you viewing choices, lighting, and source. I have a 65" Sony XBR HX-950 and the picture out the box was great.
post #8302 of 9857 Old 10-22-2013, 05:25 AM

Well my repaired HDMI board 818 is scheduled to be delivered today! Cannot wait to get it back in line and see the changes. My substitute Yamaha 7.2 has filled in nicely, but having my Onkyo back will get me back to my Movies.
post #8303 of 9857 Old 10-22-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Firmware Update for the TX-NR818

The 10/18/2013 update will address the following: UPDATE AVAILABLE ONLY via USB (US ONLY)

1. Corrects lock up failure when using MiCasaVerde Vera Lite controller on the same network

That's weird, that's not even related to home theater, it's a "home control" device that monitors your power consumption and alarms and such. Weird.

Perhaps it also fixes lock-ups when using other DLNA control points such as BubbleUPnP, as I just reported above... But it looks like it's a pretty specific bug fix, will probably not attempt it.

post #8304 of 9857 Old 10-22-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mines working fine, I am not touching it...

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
post #8305 of 9857 Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 AM
mo1

I have a Onkyo TX-818 receiver, it is setup as 9.1 with wides and 4 surrounds as well as the fronts and centre etc. etc. when i play Transformers 3 blu ray in Tru HD 7.1 all is fine, if i change the amp to
Audessey DSX or DTS NEO X when the film starts with the flying stars and the sound travels through all the speakers, i get no sound in the 2 back speakers. any ideas why this could be happening, amp is setup correctly via audessey etc surrounds backs are ruuning off an external amp
any ideas at all.
thanks
post #8306 of 9857 Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 AM

Liked: 26
Has anyone else had an issue with the 818 not initially recognizing 3D capabilities of your blu-ray player or TV? Typically, powering the player on and off or just stopping the disc and restarting it will fix it, but it's annoying.
post #8307 of 9857 Old 10-22-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

No, i've watched 4 so far without issue. Running the Onkyo set to Source Resolution and Direct pic mode.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
post #8308 of 9857 Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysdontcry View Post

Hey guys. So for about the last week, I turn on the receiver and the power comes on, HDMI starts up and I get no sound. Video works fine on all inputs. I have a cable box, Apple TV and BluRay player connected. I get video on all of them but no audio and the speakers don't show up when looking at the face of the receiver. I turn it all off, wait a minute, try again. Sometimes it comes back fine. Sometimes I have to do it a third time. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mine did EXACTLY the same thing...It got progressively worse and now no audio at all. I tried everything I could think of (reset, unplug/plug etc..) but no joy. In hind sight there were signs before it got to this point...the random audio drop that I attributed to corrupted data on my DTV external hard drive...handshake issues that I thought were source device glitches...etc.

I have a room with some pretty nice gear (see signature) that I can't enjoy because Onkyo built these receivers with crap components. It annoys me enough that I just ponied up and ordered an SR7008. When the 818 gets back from the shop, it's out of here.

Panasonic P65ZT60 display, Marantz SR7008 AV receiver, Paradigm Studio CC-490 v.5 center, Studio 60 v.5 fronts, Studio 20 v.5 rear/surround, Polk Audio OWM3 high and wides, HSU ULS-15 Dual Drive, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTV HR24 Receiver w/1TB drive, XBox 360, Logitech Harmony One
post #8309 of 9857 Old 10-22-2013, 10:00 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

No, i've watched 4 so far without issue. Running the Onkyo set to Source Resolution and Direct pic mode.
Use "Through" for the "Monitor Out" resolution to avoid molestation.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #8310 of 9857 Old 10-23-2013, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Thats not accurate according to what Ive read
Quote:

Thanks! Found my answer:

Q: What if I want the TX-NR818 to be a fancy HDMI switch and provide no Video Processing?
A: Set Monitor Out:Resolution to Source and set each input's Picture Mode to Direct

Set to "Source" the Onkyo outputs the exact same resolution that comes in, and Pic Mode "Direct" should just pass it. I've confirmed with those settings, in testing, that 720p/60 in comes out as 720p/60, 1080i/60 in comes out as 1080i/60. 1080p/24 3D in goes out as 1080p/24 3D.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page