post #811 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlerbob View Post

Does anyone have experience good or bad purchasing from www.directdial.us which sells this receiver?

They don't seem to be an authorized dealer;

http://www.onkyousa.com/locations_intdealer.cfm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

There's a few other cool differences. Besides 11.4 my wish is finally coming true. Wireless!!! Yes, that's still a bigger difference but I am sure there might be a couple other features. Just remember though the 818 is "The" best bang for the buck to come out in 5 years!

According to the data sheet for the UK 5010, you still need the wireless kit.
Quote:
Compatible with Optional UWF-1 Wireless LAN Adapter and UBT-1 Bluetooth USB Adapter

And it's not really 11.4..

There are still only 2 discrete sub outs, with an extra output for each.. no different than a y-splitter...

Gotta love the marketing guys. wink.gif

What else is confusing is that it still say it is a 9.2 receiver (but with 11.4 pre outs..)
Quote:
TX-NR5010 9.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver

I guess the press release did confirm it will do 11 channels now.. but they do themselves no good with the conflicting specs..

It will be really curious to see how Denon responds with the 4520....

And still no Airplay.

I think you're right about the 818 though.. same video processing, exact same feature set.

For those with a 7.1 setup with medium sized rooms, or with fairly efficient speakers, I can't see any compelling reason to spend more...

For me, having owned the 5009 and almost every other manufacturers flagship for the past 3-4 years, there is nothing remotely calling me to buy the 5010...

Just my .02
post #813 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Curious why you consider this an important feature? TBC, I understand that it is slightly more convenient than using a wireless bridge, but if you're going to drop that much $ on a AVR why wouldn't you pay a few hundred $ to get Cat6 pulled in behind it (and every other connected device can share it w/o the potential issues associated with WiFi)?

Yes I have a couple power line adapters but almost everything in our house these days is wireless. Time for the AVRs to start doing the same. Especially for those of us that have a couple (or three) in different rooms. Very convenient!

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #814 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I think you're right about the 818 though.. same video processing, exact same feature set.
For those with a 7.1 setup with medium sized rooms, or with fairly efficient speakers, I can't see any compelling reason to spend more...

I couldn't agree more. If the only parameter in getting an Ultra2Plus certification is wattage then the 805/806 U2+ with 130 per channel, would now take a back seat to the 818.

The 818 is an Ultra with Select badging. Even the 3009 is only 5 watts more (140) to the 818's 135.
post #815 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

I'm waiting to see if/when/how they'll add Airplay.

Makes two of us. Adding an Apple TV or Express is OK but I don't like the idea of one more device, one more connection, etc. I'd like to know if it's something that can be implemented through firmware - and what are they waiting for??
post #816 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 09:42 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Does anyone have experience good or bad purchasing from www.directdial.us which sells this receiver?

They had a good price last I checked, but no BBB rating, no feedback, no testimonials... just too sketchy for me. I envision UPS bringing a beat up box containing someone else's return.
post #817 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 10:03 AM

Liked: 12
Can anyone help me understand the differences between the audio modes on my 818? There are so many seemingly redundant choices...

Dynamic EQ
competes with...
Re-EQ
competes with....
Loudness Plus

Then

Dynamic Volume
competes with...
Dolby Volume
competes with...
Late Night Mode

Is that summary correct? I'm still confused about when to use which audio mode as well. For THX Cinema mode is that only to be used when you are playing movies that have the THX logo? Or is it only to be used when playing near reference level 0dB? I play most movies at -20dB and games at around -30dB.

I'm mostly concerned about vocal clarity as often times during streaming some movies during quiet scenes the vocals are nearly unintelligible so I have to increase the volume. Such as in The Grey last night I just increased the volume only to become nearly deaf as soon as a wolf jumped into the screen at extreme volume.

Which is better - Dynamic EQ or Loudness Plus? Where the manual says, "...can enjoy even at low volume" what do they consider low volume? -50dB? -40dB?

When I enable Dolby Volume my bass levels skyrocket out of control and it sounds like garbage. My HK2650 had a reference offset for Dolby Volume but I can't find it on this Onkyo. Anyone know where it is?

Lastly, Re-EQ says that it gets rid of harsh sounds but I want my movies to have harsh sounds if the director intended the movie to have harsh sounds. Should I leave it always disabled then or does it improve other things as well?

Thanks
post #818 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Yes I have a couple power line adapters but almost everything in our house these days is wireless. Time for the AVRs to start doing the same.

Wireless is important for a portable device, and as long as it's optional it's good that it's there (who doesn't like options). Still don't understand the enthusiasm though.
Quote:

Especially for those of us that have a couple (or three) in different rooms. Very convenient!

Switch?
post #819 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerninja View Post

Can anyone help me understand the differences between the audio modes on my 818? There are so many seemingly redundant choices...
Dynamic EQ
competes with...
Re-EQ
competes with....
Loudness Plus
Then
Dynamic Volume
competes with...
Dolby Volume
competes with...
Late Night Mode

Is that summary correct? I'm still confused about when to use which audio mode as well. For THX Cinema mode is that only to be used when you are playing movies that have the THX logo? Or is it only to be used when playing near reference level 0dB? I play most movies at -20dB and games at around -30dB.
Lastly, Re-EQ says that it gets rid of harsh sounds but I want my movies to have harsh sounds if the director intended the movie to have harsh sounds. Should I leave it always disabled then or does it improve other things as well?
Thanks

Only real "error" is that Re-EQ isn't comparable to Dyn EQ or Loudness Plus...

It is a close approximation of the x-curve which is what is used on dub stages, in theaters, etc... it is a roll off starting at 2kHz...

Now a days, I find it really isn't needed as things have changed in a variety of areas of sound creation.. i.e. quality of the tracks, how we mix, near field re-mastering, etc..

And there is no THX encoding... the post processing features (what we are talking about here) work exactly the same for all media... if you see THX on a piece of media, it only means there were certain QC criteria that had to be met to get the THX "approval.." Nothing more.

It has to do with how the surrounds are processed for the most part.
post #820 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Maybe I'm just lazy but it is 10 times easier turning on a component (the first time) and it connecting without having to add a bridge or anything else. I consider this a move in the right direction and eventually all their Receivers will have this option. smile.gif
FilmMixer likes this.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #821 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Thanks Mixer! So basically what you're saying is that Re-EQ is probably pointless when watching a BD but it might be ok for watching a DVD for an old movie (like from the 80s?)

Do you ever personally use the THX Cinema mode? If so do you prefer it with Dynamic EQ or Loudness Plus?
post #822 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I agree with the manual part. If you read the procedures on the website, they are incomplete and actually refer to older model Onkyo's (2011 and earlier).

Actually the link I gave seems pretty complete, and DOES actually refer to the 818. Maybe you're thinking of something outdated?

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/Firmware_Update_for_the_TXNR818.pdf?CFID=2050835&CFTOKEN=17046805&jsessionid=f030e4e05fa50fdeb8ae6b38765424664f40

Either way, you do need to be careful with updating any firmware with any piece of equipment.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #823 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Well, the UBT-1 Bluetooth adapter came in and I put it through its paces.

In a nutshell: it works, but not as you would expect it to.

The device sounds great, no problem there. The integration with the receiver is underwhelming.

Plug it in (Requires FW 1070 or higher on the TX-NR818) and you get a prompt from the receiver to pair (see photos). That's it. Once paired, it displays the Bluetooth device on the screen with a button selection to re-pair the device.

That's all she wrote.

No control of the device via the IR remote, no song data, nothing. You get volume and the controls on your bluetooth device. Considering this retails for $60 (available for $50 online) it's only worth it if you need it. If Onkyo builds in better support in the future to give it at least AVRCP support. If they do, then this will be really nice.**

Here's the info on the device itself:

USB Advanced Audio Device - (that's right, it is not a bluetooth dongle!)

Product ID: 0x0173
Vendor ID: 0x0d8c (C-MEDIA ELECTRONICS INC.)
Version: 0.00
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: C-Media Electronics Inc.
Location ID: 0xfd130000 / 6
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100

Here's where it gets a bit interesting:

I fired up VMWare Fusion and plugged this into Windows XP. It showed up as "USB Advanced Audio Device" and connected to the Mic input on the mixer.
Fired up sound recorder and I can record a high-quality WAV file of the audio playback. My Spotify subscription just became a lot more useful. cool.gif

** Upon further investigation, this device does *NOT* give Bluetooth capabilities to the Onkyo receiver. The UBT-1 may connect via Bluetooth to the portable device, but it only transfers audio to the Onkyo. This is pretty much a wireless headset adapter that was modified for Onkyo. There are no profiles supported, so no AVRCP, no song info, no control. Huge disappointment.

post #824 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Actually the link I gave seems pretty complete, and DOES actually refer to the 818. Maybe you're thinking of something outdated?
http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/Firmware_Update_for_the_TXNR818.pdf?CFID=2050835&CFTOKEN=17046805&jsessionid=f030e4e05fa50fdeb8ae6b38765424664f40
Either way, you do need to be careful with updating any firmware with any piece of equipment.

The ones I've read mention the 818 or 717 (There's Onkyo International, EU and US) but the instructions do not mention unzipping and do mention going into Setup->Network to initiate the firmware update (this was true only on the 2011 and earlier models). The PDF you mention also states this is for the 414 (on the second page). Also the "No Update" they mention is also a remnant of previous models. If you have a 2012 model, it says "Current Firmware Version" and only prompts for an update if one exists.

The 818 manual is correct in stating the update procedure.
post #825 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 05:31 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

If they aren't an authorized dealer, I'd stay away. Just my opinion.

Turn it up!
post #826 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 08:04 PM

Liked: 10
I used to have Onkyo HT-S9300THX Home Theater System. Than I switched the receiver to 818 but kept the speakers. Are the speakers compatible with the receiver? Or am I having some sound trouble because the speakers and the receiver are not compatible.By the way, are these THX certified Home Theater Systems have speakers certified THX too?
post #827 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 08:07 PM

Liked: 27
I almost fell for it...until I saw the name of the poster.

Turn it up!
post #828 of 9843 Old 06-29-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

The ones I've read mention the 818 or 717 (There's Onkyo International, EU and US) but the instructions do not mention unzipping and do mention going into Setup->Network to initiate the firmware update (this was true only on the 2011 and earlier models). The PDF you mention also states this is for the 414 (on the second page). Also the "No Update" they mention is also a remnant of previous models. If you have a 2012 model, it says "Current Firmware Version" and only prompts for an update if one exists.
The 818 manual is correct in stating the update procedure.

Yes, it does say that this is for the 414, but it also says that it is for the 818 on the exact same page no less!

The fact that it does not mention needing to unzip the files in his case is of no matter, since I already gave him the proper procedure to do that earlier, I then instructed him to follow the rest of the instructions on that PDF, which for him in his own particular situation, is the correct procedure to do it.

In his instance, what I instructed him to do, and then what it says for him to follow up on the PDF are absolutely correct for him in what he is trying to do.

The PDF is correct in stating how he would need to update his firmware via USB.

The manual may be correct also, as I wouldn't know for sure as I haven't read it for his particular situation. Also there is no need to read it since the PDF is the correct way for him anyways.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #829 of 9843 Old 06-30-2012, 03:11 AM

Hey I got the 818 in silver and have come across a major problem.

When you turn the amp and everything off and leave it for long periods, eg overnight, or even an hour or longer the amp wont switch on with the remote, and I have to go to the main unit and switch it on. I have tried switching the auto standby on and off, but nothing.

This happens all the time, it wont switch on.

Has anyone come across this problem ?

I have went back to my dealer and they are going to test it, but want to know if others have had this problem ?

Thanks so much
post #830 of 9843 Old 06-30-2012, 05:08 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

I almost fell for it...until I saw the name of the poster.

LOL
Yeah. It's clearly a troll.
post #831 of 9843 Old 06-30-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada16 View Post

Hey I got the 818 in silver and have come across a major problem.
When you turn the amp and everything off and leave it for long periods, eg overnight, or even an hour or longer the amp wont switch on with the remote, and I have to go to the main unit and switch it on. I have tried switching the auto standby on and off, but nothing.
This happens all the time, it wont switch on.
Has anyone come across this problem ?
I have went back to my dealer and they are going to test it, but want to know if others have had this problem ?
Thanks so much

You're not alone.

This is a well-documented problem with the 2012 receivers. I bought a 616 for a great price and returned it after three weeks for the very same issue. You can relieve it by turning Network Standby on, but there is an issue with the HDMI out that results in a blank screen every few days and needs the RX to be unplugged for a minute to resolve.

Onkyo is aware of the problem, but so far (another two weeks later), no resolution is in sight. They have offered two firmware updates that do not resolve the issue. In fact, they seem more interested in adding support for the Bluetooth adapter than fixing the problem!

If you go to the 'official' Onkyo forum (http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/f1-welcome-to-the-onkyo-forum), you'll see many, many posts about this. It's affecting everything from the 414 to the 818 and possibly more.

There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark
post #832 of 9843 Old 06-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guindalf View Post

You're not alone.
This is a well-documented problem with the 2012 receivers. I bought a 616 for a great price and returned it after three weeks for the very same issue. You can relieve it by turning Network Standby on, but there is an issue with the HDMI out that results in a blank screen every few days and needs the RX to be unplugged for a minute to resolve.
Onkyo is aware of the problem, but so far (another two weeks later), no resolution is in sight. They have offered two firmware updates that do not resolve the issue. In fact, they seem more interested in adding support for the Bluetooth adapter than fixing the problem!
If you go to the 'official' Onkyo forum (http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/f1-welcome-to-the-onkyo-forum), you'll see many, many posts about this. It's affecting everything from the 414 to the 818 and possibly more.

FWIW, my 818 did the no HDMI issue last night testing the UBT-1. I know it's the old HDMI bug because when I got it running again it powered on with the FM tuner active.

First time in a month of flawless operation... But much better than the 616.
post #833 of 9843 Old 06-30-2012, 02:24 PM

Liked: 25
I've not had the issue with the remote not turning on the receiver. Do we know what triggers it?

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #834 of 9843 Old 06-30-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

I've not had the issue with the remote not turning on the receiver. Do we know what triggers it?
My 818 has been flawless to date.
I really dont want to update the firmware for fear it will introduce bugs into the unit.
I'll keep waiting till everything gets cleaned up,if it does at all.
FWIW,video processing on the unit is superb.
I had a Denon 4311 for a couple of days that was defective out of the box.
Did not like the video processing at all,seemed to degrade the picture.
Returned it.
post #835 of 9843 Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 PM

The remote is once again turning the unit both off and on. I did nothing to change this, save hard booting from an unplugged state. I watched a CAV Laser Disc edition of Disney's "The Lion King" and the picture was very good. I have nothing but praise for this receiver. Highly recommended.
post #836 of 9843 Old 07-01-2012, 04:35 AM

Liked: 25
I am using the latest UK firmware (6100) and everything works flawlessly. PS3 looks stunning with the receiver, no complaints at all. Sound does feel more defined and controlled compared to my old 809.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #837 of 9843 Old 07-01-2012, 09:51 PM

Not sure if this belongs in this thread or other but....

Will an emotiva xpa-5 do anything for this receiver? Waste of money?
post #838 of 9843 Old 07-02-2012, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGadget77 View Post

What about SubEQ? I presume the 1010 has it.

This is not mentioned in the specs, I think it is a feature of the Audyssey MultEQ32?? Both 1010 and 818 have the Audyssey, presumably the SubEQ is in both???

irkuck
post #839 of 9843 Old 07-02-2012, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

This is not mentioned in the specs, I think it is a feature of the Audyssey MultEQ32?? Both 1010 and 818 have the Audyssey, presumably the SubEQ is in both???

Sub EQ HT is not a feature of XT32. Sub EQ HT simply sets level and delay of a second sub. Then both subs are EQed as one like in all versions of MultEQ. 818 and higher use MultEQ XT32. All versions have the same EQ resolution.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #840 of 9843 Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

Sub EQ HT is not a feature of XT32. Sub EQ HT simply sets level and delay of a second sub. Then both subs are EQed as one like in all versions of MultEQ. 818 and higher use MultEQ XT32. All versions have the same EQ resolution.

Wouldn't it produce better results, if you manually level matched all your speakers to 75db,
BEFORE running the Audyssey calibration programs?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page