Forum Jump: 

post #8371 of 9892 Old 11-03-2013, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post

Scott, I thought there was a sound header on the video card so that you could pipe digital sound into the HDMI output?

I'm actually putting together a rig for playing PC games in my home theater with 7.1 sound--so I haven't yet done this myself but in other forum chats I've been told it "just works" and you can at least get your motherboard sound mixed in to the HDMI output.

The sound card does have have a header for a SPDIF cable but the video card doesn't have an input. Nvidia has its' own built in sound chip in their video cards and abandoned sound card input after the 200 series graphic cards,

The Nvidia HDMI works great for movies, etc but for older games, it is lacking. Most newer computer games use their own encoded sound engine so they work fine with Nvidia HD sound. For optimal sound for older game titles, a dedicated sound card works best for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8372 of 9892 Old 11-03-2013, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Scott, I thought there was a sound header on the video card so that you could pipe digital sound into the HDMI output?

I'm actually putting together a rig for playing PC games in my home theater with 7.1 sound--so I haven't yet done this myself but in other forum chats I've been told it "just works" and you can at least get your motherboard sound mixed in to the HDMI output.

I read a few different reviews on soundcards and they say to only use a gaming card from Creative for gaming, apparently they are poop for HT movie duties. I am just using the onboard Realtek 7.1 on my HTPC output through the HDMI on a low end Nvidia card for now until I decide on which dedicated card I want to use. A lot of people seem to like the Xonar series of cards from ASUS, but Ive never heard one. I have an XFI Fatality card in my main gaming PC with a set of Logitech Z680's and it wails for gaming, but I never ever watch movies on it.

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
Oppo BDP-103, , Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37-26
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
Dual - PSA XV15's, Fractal Designs Node 605 HTPC
post #8373 of 9892 Old 11-03-2013, 09:08 AM

Liked: 18
New 818 owner here, bought iy about a month ago when it was amazon's deal of the day.
Currently paired with polk csi a6 center and polk rtia7 for left n right.
Going to get the fxia6 for surrounds and debatin on the sb1000 or pb1000 from svs.

2 quick questions.
1) some listening modes produce white noise, any one else experience this? Theater dimension is where its most obvious.
2) audio and video slightly out of sync, any fix for it?
post #8374 of 9892 Old 11-03-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

I read a few different reviews on soundcards and they say to only use a gaming card from Creative for gaming, apparently they are poop for HT movie duties. I am just using the onboard Realtek 7.1 on my HTPC output through the HDMI on a low end Nvidia card for now until I decide on which dedicated card I want to use. A lot of people seem to like the Xonar series of cards from ASUS, but Ive never heard one. I have an XFI Fatality card in my main gaming PC with a set of Logitech Z680's and it wails for gaming, but I never ever watch movies on it.

A dedicated sound card will provide you with quality analog signals. But why would you want analog connections between your HTPC and receiver? Just use your video card HDMI port to send video and audio on a single cable, in digital form, to your receive. I can't see any downside to using HDMI: maximum quality, maximum ease of use, minimum budget.

post #8375 of 9892 Old 11-03-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Never heard white noise on any listening modes, you may have a defective unit.

For AV sync issues go to Setup Menu, then source setup and adjust AV sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassConfusion View Post

New 818 owner here, bought iy about a month ago when it was amazon's deal of the day.
Going to get the fxia6 for surrounds and debatin on the sb1000 or pb1000 from svs.

2 quick questions.
1) some listening modes produce white noise, any one else experience this? Theater dimension is where its most obvious.
post #8376 of 9892 Old 11-03-2013, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I am just using the onboard Realtek 7.1 on my HTPC output through the HDMI on a low end Nvidia card for now until I decide on which dedicated card I want to use.

This is the model I was hoping to use. Can you let me know how you are doing this? I apologize for the remedial question but I'm currently transitioning from a five year old rig to a more modern system with Realtek 7.1... I know that PC sound over HDMI has been commonly done for years, but it's still new to me. smile.gif I am still not sure if I need to get a video card with a sound-in header, or if things get magically mixed together by Windows, or...
post #8377 of 9892 Old 11-03-2013, 01:28 PM

Liked: 67
Quote:

This is the model I was hoping to use. Can you let me know how you are doing this? I apologize for the remedial question but I'm currently transitioning from a five year old rig to a more modern system with Realtek 7.1... I know that PC sound over HDMI has been commonly done for years, but it's still new to me. smile.gif I am still not sure if I need to get a video card with a sound-in header, or if things get magically mixed together by Windows, or...

The nvidia cards have an option in the drivers to Set Up Digital Audio. and also in the Windows Control Panel, in Sound properties, there is a list where you can select a playback device, one will be HDMI through the videocard if it is capable of it.

@neutro, yes I have the sound of the onboard Realtek on my HTPC going through my HDMI cable on my video card to my Onkyo 818, it works fine smile.gif

Edit:spelling

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
Oppo BDP-103, , Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37-26
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
Dual - PSA XV15's, Fractal Designs Node 605 HTPC
post #8378 of 9892 Old 11-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassConfusion View Post

2 quick questions.

was yours new or used?
post #8379 of 9892 Old 11-03-2013, 10:28 PM

Liked: 11
HTPC HDMI Audio input problem

I have been trying to run my Zotac zbox Nano's audio to the Onkyo 818 via HDMI. Now while the Onkyo passes the video signal correctly to my TV, it does so without any audio at all... It doesn't pass audio even when I select HDMI audio out in the HTPC's control panel... HDMI audio works flawlessly when the same HTPC is run directly to the HDMI input on my Panasonic TV, so I think this is more a problem of the Computer's audio codecs or configuration, than any flaw that resides inside the Onkyo. By the way, if there are any specific methods, drivers, and configuration techniques that I need to make the HTPC/Onkyo 818's HDMI audio interface work normally, could someone kindly tell me what they are?

I use the HTPC with window 7 (professional edition) mostly for watching movies on XBMC and for some lite web browsing. I would also like to use it to play music files via itunes in a two channel system. Thanks,
post #8380 of 9892 Old 11-04-2013, 05:44 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

was yours new or used?
New. Got it for $650 couldnt resist. I love amazon

I read in the manual that noise from speakers can be the speaker wires picking up interference. So ill have to attempt something there to see if its that
post #8381 of 9892 Old 11-04-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 305
They had some great 818 deals when I bought mine, then a few weeks after here recently even better pricing. Waiting until Fall to buy an AVR really can save you some dough, plus you know of any issues.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #8382 of 9892 Old 11-04-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@neutro, yes I have the sound of the onboard Realtek on my HTPC going through my HDMI cable on my video card to my Onkyo 818, it works fine smile.gif

I'm not 100% sure but I think when you go through HDMI, you're not even touching the onboard Realtek card. I could be disabled and you'd still have audio through HDMI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmen View Post

I have been trying to run my Zotac zbox Nano's audio to the Onkyo 818 via HDMI. Now while the Onkyo passes the video signal correctly to my TV, it does so without any audio at all...

Does the HDMI video out on the 818 output audio as well in the first place? And why would you want audio to your TV? I assume you have speakers connected to the 818?

In any way, you should see "MULTICH" on the 818 when playing audio coming from your HTPC as the HTPC will output multichannel PCM, unless you're using software that can bitstream Dolby or DTS formats to the receiver. (By the way, XBMC can do that... if you have troubles specifically with XBMC, that's another story. It can be tricky to get it right).

On the HTPC side, just make sure the HDMI sound output is enabled, not muted and/or is at a sufficiently high level.

post #8383 of 9892 Old 11-04-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

I'm not 100% sure but I think when you go through HDMI, you're not even touching the onboard Realtek card. I could be disabled and you'd still have audio through HDMI.
Does the HDMI video out on the 818 output audio as well in the first place? And why would you want audio to your TV? I assume you have speakers connected to the 818?

In any way, you should see "MULTICH" on the 818 when playing audio coming from your HTPC as the HTPC will output multichannel PCM, unless you're using software that can bitstream Dolby or DTS formats to the receiver. (By the way, XBMC can do that... if you have troubles specifically with XBMC, that's another story. It can be tricky to get it right).

On the HTPC side, just make sure the HDMI sound output is enabled, not muted and/or is at a sufficiently high level.

--Yes the 818 normally outputs audio to my speakers, except where the Zotac HTPC is concerned, in which case I only get the video on the TV, and no sound from my speakers. Sorry for the confusion.

The XBMC issue is indeed tricky: Do you have any suggestions?

At any rate, I shall look at the configuration of the sound output on the Zotac again, when I have time, and then report back.

Thanks for your input.
post #8384 of 9892 Old 11-04-2013, 07:57 AM

Liked: 10
Hearing good things and thinking about buying 818 and have a few questions.

1. Have the HDMI issues been resolved on the ones dated after Jan 2013?
2. Can you run bi-amp fronts and height channels with a current 5.1 setup? No surround backs installed.
3. Is switching from one source to another pretty quick like my current Denon 1712?
4. How is power on times of this 818 vs Denon?

Thanks and love this thread!
post #8385 of 9892 Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 305
1) these are hit and miss and only corrected (allegedly) on the 2013 models with a new HDMI board.
2 and 3) Changing times are not quite as fast as my Denon, and it boots up a little slower.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #8386 of 9892 Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez View Post

Hearing good things and thinking about buying 818 and have a few questions.

1. Have the HDMI issues been resolved on the ones dated after Jan 2013?
2. Can you run bi-amp fronts and height channels with a current 5.1 setup? No surround backs installed.
3. Is switching from one source to another pretty quick like my current Denon 1712?
4. How is power on times of this 818 vs Denon?

Thanks and love this thread!

I had similar question. I just bought a TX-NR818 from newegg. I am wondering if I should spend $70 on 2 years of additional warranty due to the HDMI issues. My thought is though that I should know if I have a defective unit before manufacturer 2 years and will be able to get it fixed under warranty.
rbanez likes this.

7.1 setup
Mitsubishi HC7900DW
Elite Screen SableFrame 100" 1.1gain
Onkyo TX-NR818
Power Sound Audio XV30
Definitive BP8B
Definitive CLR2002
Definitive StudioMonitor 350
post #8387 of 9892 Old 11-04-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmen View Post

--Yes the 818 normally outputs audio to my speakers, except where the Zotac HTPC is concerned, in which case I only get the video on the TV, and no sound from my speakers. Sorry for the confusion.

Ok so you got the picture, but no sound to the receiver? But when you connect your HTPC directly to your TV, you got sound? I'm not sure what's wrong in that case. What does the 818 says it's getting? E.g. using the display button multiple times, you'll see first the input source and listening mode, then the audio input format, and then the input and output video resolutions.
Quote:
The XBMC issue is indeed tricky: Do you have any suggestions?

Well you can select "analog" in XBMC's sound settings and it will work more easily. That setting is not very well named as you won't be getting analog sound at all. It just passes the stream to Window's sound server, which then handles everything. When using this, then make sure that the corresponding windows output device (i.e. HDMI) is correctly configured (e.g. for 5.1 audio -- you can test this with a button in the configuration wizard). Your receiver will then get multichannel PCM and will display MULTICH by default.

You can also use XBMC in passthrough mode, where it will bitstream compatible content to the receiver. To do this, the HDMI device in Windows must be set so it can be controlled by any software. Then, in XBMC's sound setting, you have to select HDMI output and select the formats that the receiver can decode (I think the 818 can decode all of them). Now in the passthrough output device on the bottom of the settings page, you have to select Window's WASAPI output for the correct HDMI output. If all is set correctly, a DTS HD Master Audio track for example will be bit-streamed to the receiver directly, with no system sound mixed in it.

One complication I have is that XBMC sees many HDMI outputs for my single nVidia card (rencent nVidia cards have multiple virtual outputs), and the "correct" output is not always the same. I have not resolved this yet... In the mean time, I don't notice any degradation using "analog" output (i.e. letting the OS decode the stream and sending PCM to the receiver).

post #8388 of 9892 Old 11-04-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

Ok so you got the picture, but no sound to the receiver? But when you connect your HTPC directly to your TV, you got sound? I'm not sure what's wrong in that case. What does the 818 says it's getting? E.g. using the display button multiple times, you'll see first the input source and listening mode, then the audio input format, and then the input and output video resolutions.

Yes, when the htpc is connected directly to the tv via hdmi, both audio and video on the pc and XBMC work fine. But When it is connected via hdmi to the 818 I only get the video from both, and no audio in my external speakers. I also can't explain it, but I have put it down to a settings/configurations problem on the PC. Thanks for all the tips you have given me about configuring the PC and XBMC audio for the 818 input... I shall give it another go after work this evening and report back.
post #8389 of 9892 Old 11-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

The nvidia cards have an option in the drivers to Set Up Digital Audio. and also in the Windows Control Panel, in Sound properties, there is a list where you can select a playback device, one will be HDMI through the videocard if it is capable of it.

Edit:spelling

Thanks a ton, that's what I needed to know!
post #8390 of 9892 Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreePer77 View Post

I had similar question. I just bought a TX-NR818 from newegg. I am wondering if I should spend $70 on 2 years of additional warranty due to the HDMI issues. My thought is though that I should know if I have a defective unit before manufacturer 2 years and will be able to get it fixed under warranty.

these tend to appear just shortly after warranty expiry.
post #8391 of 9892 Old 11-07-2013, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi guys, i have a "problem" concerning connecting 2 external amps (Marnatz PM15S2) to use them in a Bi-Amp setup.
The 15S2 must use a RCA cable (zie pic) so u must set the 818 to Bi-Amp but where do i connect the RCA to the 818 ?
Must this be the high/wide/back pre-out ?
Hope you can help..........
post #8392 of 9892 Old 11-07-2013, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
You must decided which speakers you want the external amps to power and use those pre-outs. I'm using two ext amps with my 818. One for fronts and one for subs. My I ask why you are bi-amping? Just curious.

GO BLUE
post #8393 of 9892 Old 11-07-2013, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi, i do not understand the part that the i must decide which speakers the ex amp must power......
When i select on the 818 that i want to bi-amp it will show only the speaker terminals to use and not the pre-outs i must use.

The speakers will be KEF Q700.
I am going to Bi-Amp just because i have one not in use 15S2 ;-)
post #8394 of 9892 Old 11-07-2013, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

I think I need more info. Are you running two speakers or like a 5.1 system? Either way I don't think you'd need to select bi amp on the 818. It's not the one bi-amping. Your ext amps are. You would take a the RCA from your ext amp to one of the pre-outs on the 818. They are labeled for fronts, wides, sub etc etc.. That way the 818 knows what sound to send them from the mix on Blu ray or music etc..

So RCA from pre-out on 818 to ext amp. Then ext amps will be bi-amped.

I asked about bi-amping because generally it doesn't do much. It's not like bridging a amp. But it won't hurt trying. Many will tell you don't waste your time. I feel that it's your time and your equipment. You can do whatever the heck you want with both. smile.gif Any other questions just ask.

GO BLUE
post #8395 of 9892 Old 11-07-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

I think I need more info. Are you running two speakers or like a 5.1 system? Either way I don't think you'd need to select bi amp on the 818. It's not the one bi-amping. Your ext amps are. You would take a the RCA from your ext amp to one of the pre-outs on the 818. They are labeled for fronts, wides, sub etc etc.. That way the 818 knows what sound to send them from the mix on Blu ray or music etc..

So RCA from pre-out on 818 to ext amp. Then ext amps will be bi-amped.

I asked about bi-amping because generally it doesn't do much. It's not like bridging a amp. But it won't hurt trying. Many will tell you don't waste your time. I feel that it's your time and your equipment. You can do whatever the heck you want with both. smile.gif Any other questions just ask.

Hi, thanks again for you thoughts :-)
As also the Marantz drawing shows just a analog output to the amps, think you are correct that its the 2 PM15S2's that are doning the bi-amping, so think i can use the front left and right pre-out.
What i do find strange is that when i select Bi-amp on the 818 its making a specific split in frequencies in Front L/R Low and Front High L/R High.
In the Marantz version all frequencies will be send to the amps so will the speaker itself make the freq. split and having two separate filters for High/Mid and Low ?
post #8396 of 9892 Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

^^^^^Are your speakers bi-ampable? Not all are. Do they have two sets of speaker terminals on the back? If not they aren't bi-amp as far as I know. Bi-amping uses one amp to power the tweeters. And one for the mids or woofers. If you can post a pic of the back of the speaker it would help. My quick goggle search looked like the answer is "no". Picture please.smile.gif

GO BLUE
post #8397 of 9892 Old 11-07-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

post #8398 of 9892 Old 11-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Well the speakers are indeed biampable. I wouldn't think they have enternals to divide the frequencies. I'd check with KEF and Marantz. If Marantz is sending the same frequencies to both then there really is no sense in bi amping. And like I said many think its worthless to even do. I'd recommend you do a lot of reading on the subject. But either way you need more specifics on your speaker and amp models to do it properly. Sorry I'm not more help.

GO BLUE
post #8399 of 9892 Old 11-07-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

This is why i wanted to use the Onkyo Bi-amp mode as then only High and Low will be send to the amps. Thanks for the help :-)
post #8400 of 9892 Old 11-07-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 1450
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Well the speakers are indeed biampable. I wouldn't think they have enternals to divide the frequencies. I'd check with KEF and Marantz. If Marantz is sending the same frequencies to both then there really is no sense in bi amping. And like I said many think its worthless to even do. I'd recommend you do a lot of reading on the subject. But either way you need more specifics on your speaker and amp models to do it properly. Sorry I'm not more help.

migraine24-7 likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page