Forum Jump: 

post #8401 of 9817 Old 11-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

Ok so you got the picture, but no sound to the receiver? But when you connect your HTPC directly to your TV, you got sound? I'm not sure what's wrong in that case. What does the 818 says it's getting? E.g. using the display button multiple times, you'll see first the input source and listening mode, then the audio input format, and then the input and output video resolutions.
Well you can select "analog" in XBMC's sound settings and it will work more easily. That setting is not very well named as you won't be getting analog sound at all. It just passes the stream to Window's sound server, which then handles everything. When using this, then make sure that the corresponding windows output device (i.e. HDMI) is correctly configured (e.g. for 5.1 audio -- you can test this with a button in the configuration wizard). Your receiver will then get multichannel PCM and will display MULTICH by default.

You can also use XBMC in passthrough mode, where it will bitstream compatible content to the receiver. To do this, the HDMI device in Windows must be set so it can be controlled by any software. Then, in XBMC's sound setting, you have to select HDMI output and select the formats that the receiver can decode (I think the 818 can decode all of them). Now in the passthrough output device on the bottom of the settings page, you have to select Window's WASAPI output for the correct HDMI output. If all is set correctly, a DTS HD Master Audio track for example will be bit-streamed to the receiver directly, with no system sound mixed in it.

One complication I have is that XBMC sees many HDMI outputs for my single nVidia card (rencent nVidia cards have multiple virtual outputs), and the "correct" output is not always the same. I have not resolved this yet... In the mean time, I don't notice any degradation using "analog" output (i.e. letting the OS decode the stream and sending PCM to the receiver).

Neutro: The plot thickens: When I select "AMD HDMI output" from the sound devices menu in the control panel on the computer, I see the "Multich" logo on the Onkyo, and can indeed play and hear the test tones of that driver through my speakers. The same thing happens when I select the "Realtek Digital Output" Driver in the computer (i.e. the Onkyo can detect and play test tones through the speakers)... The same thing also happens when I select a USB driver I have installed for my Emotiva Stealth DC 1 DAC.

The disheartening thing, however, is that I can't get any regular audio device (itunes, internet sourced audio programming, xbmc, and any media player) to play normally through my speakers.

One possible explanation is that in the audio devices menu, another Driver from "Realtek HiDefinition Audio" that is identified as "Speakers" is greyed out, and marked "Not plugged in." If that is indeed the problem, I wonder how I might change that. If you have any tips as to how I might resolve this issue, let me know. And thanks for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8402 of 9817 Old 11-08-2013, 12:20 AM

Liked: 10
I can't work out why my Zone 2 isn't working. I have heard it working before and I haven't changed any of the connections so I know its connected properly.

The first thing I should say is that I'm running a 7.1 setup for my home theatre, then have a non-powered zone2 in the living room.

While running Audyssey, I had to select Powered Zone 2, so Audyssey would ignore those speakers and not treat them as front heights. After Audyssey, I put them back to the non-powered option.

I know that Zone2 won't accept audio from a HDMI source. The sources I've tried are NET (via a DLNA NAS) and via a stereo CD player. I have the main zone set to Stereo 2.1.

I have tried using the Android mobile app. It allows me to select Zone2, the source and the song (if I'm using DLNA), but no sound comes out of the zone2 speakers.

I have tried using the remote and pressing the buttons directly on the AVR.

I'm sure there is something simple I'm missing, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
post #8403 of 9817 Old 11-08-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmen View Post

Neutro: The plot thickens: When I select "AMD HDMI output" from the sound devices menu in the control panel on the computer, I see the "Multich" logo on the Onkyo, and can indeed play and hear the test tones of that driver through my speakers.

Ok then you have the basics right (if by "my speakers", you're meaning the speakers connected to your receiver, not the computer speakers). So you were able to configure that output to 5.1 and have the right test tones coming out of the right speakers?
Quote:
The same thing happens when I select the "Realtek Digital Output" Driver in the computer (i.e. the Onkyo can detect and play test tones through the speakers)... The same thing also happens when I select a USB driver I have installed for my Emotiva Stealth DC 1 DAC.

That is a bit weirder. Apart from your HDMI cable, is there any other connection between your computer and receiver? The Realtek Digital Output would typically a coax or optical link I believe. As for the USB part, do you have a USB cable connected to your DAC and then the DAC connected to the receiver?

If you have multiple audio connections from the computer to the receiver, it will get harder to debug for sure.

If you computer will be used exclusively in conjunction with the receiver, and you want a single HDMI cable to do the job, I would advise you to disable all other output audio devices in the sound settings panel except the AMD HDMI one.
Quote:
The disheartening thing, however, is that I can't get any regular audio device (itunes, internet sourced audio programming, xbmc, and any media player) to play normally through my speakers.

Then I'd say the problem is simply one of computer / Windows configuration. In Win7 and Win8, you can adjust levels for each application independently. Are they muted? Do you hear system sounds through the speakers connected to your receiver?
Quote:
One possible explanation is that in the audio devices menu, another Driver from "Realtek HiDefinition Audio" that is identified as "Speakers" is greyed out, and marked "Not plugged in." If that is indeed the problem, I wonder how I might change that.

That simply means that you have no speakers plugged in into your computer. The Realtek HiDef Audio output is for speakers or headphones connected to the analog jack of your integrated sound adapter. If your computer is a laptop, then this would be strange as the speakers should always be "plugged in". Anyway those speakers are not the speakers connected to your receiver -- Windows has no way to know about those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhet View Post

I have tried using the Android mobile app. It allows me to select Zone2, the source and the song (if I'm using DLNA), but no sound comes out of the zone2 speakers.

I have no experience with Zone2/3 (but I want to try this soon). It may sound dumb but... is Zone2 muted or low volume?

Can you confirm the Zone2/3 indicator is on on the receiver?

By the way I just read in the manual that "playing to" the receiver using a UPnP controller app won't work in Zone2/3... is that true? (I'm referring to the note at the end of page 32 in the manual... "remote playback cannot be used in any of the following cases: network services are being used, contents are being played from a USB device or iPod/iPhone, zones are turned on".

post #8404 of 9817 Old 11-08-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Ok then you have the basics right (if by "my speakers", you're meaning the speakers connected to your receiver, not the computer speakers). So you were able to configure that output to 5.1 and have the right test tones coming out of the right speakers?
That is a bit weirder. Apart from your HDMI cable, is there any other connection between your computer and receiver? The Realtek Digital Output would typically a coax or optical link I believe. As for the USB part, do you have a USB cable connected to your DAC and then the DAC connected to the receiver?

== Yes the computer is connected to the DAC via a USB cable, but the DAC itself is connected to a 2-channel pre-amp (Sherbourn Pre-1) for 2-channel music, and not to the Onkyo receiver, which is connected to the computer via the hdmi interface. Both the Onkyo receiver and the Pre-1 pre-amp are connected to my Emotiva EXP-5 amp, and since the Pre-1 also has HT bypass functionality, I am able to switch back and forth quite smoothly between the 818-XPA 5 set-up (for5.1 HT) and the DAC+ Pre-1+XPA-5 (for 2-channel music).

If you have multiple audio connections from the computer to the receiver, it will get harder to debug for sure.

==From the computer to the receiver, there is only one connection that is active, the hdmi connection. Sounds from the USB-DAC-Pre-1 set up follow an entirely different signal path which bypasses the Onkyo altogether.
If you computer will be used exclusively in conjunction with the receiver, and you want a single HDMI cable to do the job, I would advise you to disable all other output audio devices in the sound settings panel except the AMD HDMI one.
Then I'd say the problem is simply one of computer / Windows configuration. In Win7 and Win8, you can adjust levels for each application independently. Are they muted? Do you hear system sounds through the speakers connected to your receiver?

==The audio applications are not muted. I can actually hear the computer's mechanical processing of sounds through the speakers attached to the Onkyo, I mean those "innard" sounds one normally hears when the computer is booting up or loading programs/applications. What one does not hear from the speakers are regular internet audio sounds (eg. audio from youtube videos, newscasts, or podcasts etc etc), or audio sounds from any of the media-playing applications on the computer, such as itunes, spotify, Pandora, and of course, XBMC...

That simply means that you have no speakers plugged in into your computer. The Realtek HiDef Audio output is for speakers or headphones connected to the analog jack of your integrated sound adapter. If your computer is a laptop, then this would be strange as the speakers should always be "plugged in". Anyway those speakers are not the speakers connected to your receiver -- Windows has no way to know about those.

Understood. Good to know
post #8405 of 9817 Old 11-08-2013, 02:58 PM

I solved the zone2 Issue. Turns out I needed to set zone2 to powered. I misinterpreted this as using an external amp, but instead it is referring to the AVRs power. Also zone2 is working fine with dlna.
post #8406 of 9817 Old 11-09-2013, 07:31 AM

"mistakenly posted in open topics, should have been here:"

I finally upgraded from a SR707 to the more current NR818. All of my source inputs are working so far with the exception of the Roku stick. I have it plugged into the front MHL- HDMI and it is getting power. In AUX Remote Mode screen set-up, what category is used for the Roku stick? I have RIHD on and also tried MHL set up on page 87 (code 33101).
So any hints from successful Roku activations? Thanks for pondering.
post #8407 of 9817 Old 11-09-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Problem solved!, at least partially for now. I just went into the sound device manager in control panels, and selected "Don't use as a default sound or communications device" under the "Realtek HiDEF Audio" logo, and computer itself defaulted to the USB DAC selection. So now Itunes music is playing through the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC... I'm loving the idea that I can hear my i-tunes music through my two-channel DAC, but I am wondering what would happen when I want to play a program formatted in 5.1 and have to play the sounds via hdmi through the Onkyo... I know that I would have to select the AMD HDMI Output which is formatted for all the hi-def hdmi codes as the default device, but will doing that automatically disable or decommission my two-channel DAC, or will it leave it available as an alternative "default device"?

I am asking only because when I selected "Don't use as a default device" under the "Realtek HD Audio Manager", its logo disappeared entirely from the "Manage Sound Devices Menu" and I do not know how to get it back to appear there.
post #8408 of 9817 Old 11-09-2013, 03:46 PM

Liked: 13
Is there a way to fix AUDIO lag? My setup is a PS3 -> Onkyo -> TV all connected via HDMI. I am experiencing an audio lag of ~200ms or so (I'm guessing) behind video.

I know with the Onkyo, you can introduce more audio lag via the settings menu, but that is opposite of what I want. Is there a way to introduce video lag without degrading performance?
post #8409 of 9817 Old 11-10-2013, 02:06 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezar View Post

Is there a way to fix AUDIO lag? My setup is a PS3 -> Onkyo -> TV all connected via HDMI. I am experiencing an audio lag of ~200ms or so (I'm guessing) behind video.

I know with the Onkyo, you can introduce more audio lag via the settings menu, but that is opposite of what I want. Is there a way to introduce video lag without degrading performance?
Behind the video? It's usually before, that's what the sync settings are for, to delay the audio. You have set the PS3 to bitstream? How long is the HDMI cable?

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #8410 of 9817 Old 11-11-2013, 04:45 AM

Quote:
How long is the HDMI cable?

The length doesn't really apply here as the signal travels down the cable in nanoseconds which would not induce a perceivable delay and if it did, both audio and video would be delayed together. However if you have a long run using a cheap thin cable, then signal crosstalk could be an issue but that would normally present itself with a total loss or breakup of the signal and usually occurs for cable runs > 15 foot.

If you introduce a video delay your game will suddenly get a lot harder, as the in game action has occurred in the PS3 before you see it and can respond to it. I take it there is no problem when you connect the PS3 directly to the tv?

Try setting your TV to Game Mode and set the audio settings for the PS3 input on the amp to direct which bypasses any signal processing. Under the ISF settings for the input there is also a game mode, but if the audio is lagging the video I wouldn't think that would help.

Also check the reported distance for your speakers as wrong measurements here will also introduce an audio lag as the DSPs in the amp run the Audyssey code. (Direct audio mode will bypass this).
post #8411 of 9817 Old 11-11-2013, 06:46 PM

I registered just to post here because of a lot of the misconceptions about computer audio.

Newer nVidia (GTX500 series and above, I believe) cards have the capability to HDMI out through a DVI. ALL AUDIO that goes through HDMI/DVI out from the nVidia card is DIGITAL UNPROCESSED audio, so the first processing that ever occurs is at the AVR. Using Optical in this case, or a soundcard, would be stupid. No computer soundcard (outside of professional applications) will match a high end AVR.

I run my audio from MOG/FOOBAR -> PC (DVI to HDMI) -> 818 -> UPA-500 -> Bi-Amped RTi A7's. I run actively bi-amped through the discrete amp, and the audio is phenomenal. I love the 818 and actually returned my 727 to buy the 818 and I saved $100!

post #8412 of 9817 Old 11-11-2013, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajual View Post

I registered just to post here because of a lot of the misconceptions about computer audio.

Newer nVidia (GTX500 series and above, I believe) cards have the capability to HDMI out through a DVI. ALL AUDIO that goes through HDMI/DVI out from the nVidia card is DIGITAL UNPROCESSED audio, so the first processing that ever occurs is at the AVR. Using Optical in this case, or a soundcard, would be stupid. No computer soundcard (outside of professional applications) will match a high end AVR.

I run my audio from MOG/FOOBAR -> PC (DVI to HDMI) -> 818 -> UPA-500 -> Bi-Amped RTi A7's. I run actively bi-amped through the discrete amp, and the audio is phenomenal. I love the 818 and actually returned my 727 to buy the 818 and I saved $100!

Nice. I ripped to NAS as FLAC with foobar. I play straight from NAS to 818, out to XPA 3, then to Rti A9s. It all sounds fantastic.

post #8413 of 9817 Old 11-12-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmen View Post

Problem solved!, at least partially for now. I just went into the sound device manager in control panels, and selected "Don't use as a default sound or communications device" under the "Realtek HiDEF Audio" logo, and computer itself defaulted to the USB DAC selection.

Good -- if you're not using speakers connected directly to the computer, better disable this -- however know that this will also disable headphones connected to the computer.
Quote:
So now Itunes music is playing through the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC... I'm loving the idea that I can hear my i-tunes music through my two-channel DAC, but I am wondering what would happen when I want to play a program formatted in 5.1 and have to play the sounds via hdmi through the Onkyo... I know that I would have to select the AMD HDMI Output which is formatted for all the hi-def hdmi codes as the default device, but will doing that automatically disable or decommission my two-channel DAC, or will it leave it available as an alternative "default device"?

Each output device in the Windows sound settings dialog can be independently configured as for the number of channels they can support. Windows will automatically mix down 5.1 audio to stereo on your DAC if you configure this output to be stereo. So you can safely have both output devices enabled and used at the same time if you want. In your tray, the speaker volume icon should then show you two separate volume controls when clicked: one for AMD HDMI and the other for your DAC. You can mute one and not the other, or used both simultaneously if you want.
Quote:
I am asking only because when I selected "Don't use as a default device" under the "Realtek HD Audio Manager", its logo disappeared entirely from the "Manage Sound Devices Menu" and I do not know how to get it back to appear there.

Isn't it just grayed out?

post #8414 of 9817 Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 PM

Folks,

I just got a new subwoofer, and have been trying to run Audyssey and get things properly calibrated.  The problem is, in my 7.2 system, my left rear surround speaker sounds dead when Audyssey is trying to chirp it.  When music or a movie is playing, it sounds fine.  When I go into the setup menu and test it individually with the speaker levels, it's clearly OK.  However, when I run Audyssey, nothing.  It's like it is disconnected, or something.  Except it isn't.

I've checked all of the wire connections, and they seem fine, although I'd expect that since otherwise the speaker is very functional.  This particular speaker is in the ceiling, so I have not actually taken it out to look at the wires attached to it, but again, it works fine except when running Audyssey.

I'm depressed at thinking that I need to send the NR-818 in for a repair, as it sounds like a software issue.  I don't know why it would be a microphone problem, since it only affects one speaker, and it's always the same one.

If it makes any difference, the speaker is a Speakercraft AIM8-1.  I've considered the possibility that just the tweeter is malfunctioning on this speaker, if you folks would tell me that when Audyssey chirps it sends the signal only to the tweeter somehow, but that seems unlikely to me.

Anybody have any advice?  Thanks in advance.

post #8415 of 9817 Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool57 View Post

Folks,

I just got a new subwoofer, and have been trying to run Audyssey and get things properly calibrated.  The problem is, in my 7.2 system, my left rear surround speaker sounds dead when Audyssey is trying to chirp it.  When music or a movie is playing, it sounds fine.  When I go into the setup menu and test it individually with the speaker levels, it's clearly OK.  However, when I run Audyssey, nothing.  It's like it is disconnected, or something.  Except it isn't.

I've checked all of the wire connections, and they seem fine, although I'd expect that since otherwise the speaker is very functional.  This particular speaker is in the ceiling, so I have not actually taken it out to look at the wires attached to it, but again, it works fine except when running Audyssey.

I'm depressed at thinking that I need to send the NR-818 in for a repair, as it sounds like a software issue.  I don't know why it would be a microphone problem, since it only affects one speaker, and it's always the same one.

If it makes any difference, the speaker is a Speakercraft AIM8-1.  I've considered the possibility that just the tweeter is malfunctioning on this speaker, if you folks would tell me that when Audyssey chirps it sends the signal only to the tweeter somehow, but that seems unlikely to me.

Anybody have any advice?  Thanks in advance.

Inspect the speaker and swap it with another one.  That is the only way to know if it is the speaker or the receiver.

post #8416 of 9817 Old 11-12-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Good -- if you're not using speakers connected directly to the computer, better disable this -- however know that this will also disable headphones connected to the computer.

Agreed: however, I can connect headphones either through the DAC (which comes with a headphone amp) or the 818, so this is not really a problem.
Quote:

Each output device in the Windows sound settings dialog can be independently configured as for the number of channels they can support. Windows will automatically mix down 5.1 audio to stereo on your DAC if you configure this output to be stereo. So you can safely have both output devices enabled and used at the same time if you want. In your tray, the speaker volume icon should then show you two separate volume controls when clicked: one for AMD HDMI and the other for your DAC. You can mute one and not the other, or used both simultaneously if you want.

I have already verified that I have working access to both the AMD HDMI OUTPUT, and my DAC's USB output in the "Manage Audio Devices" Menu. I can toggle between them at will, selecting one as the "Default Device" without the other disappearing. When one of them is selected as a "Default Device," the other simply defaults to a status designated as "Ready." I notice that none of the two has the command which made the "Realtek High Definition" audio logo disappear from the "Manage Audio Devices" menu. That command specifically asks you to select "Don't use as default audio Device," and when I selected it, the Realtek logo disappeared. It did not default to "ready" status, like the other two do, when one is selected as "Default Device".
Quote:

Isn't it just grayed out?

No, it has disappeared from the "Manage Audio Devices" menu, although it is still on the computer because I can see it listed in the "Device Manager", under the "Sound, video and game Controllers" menu; furthermore a "Realtek HD Audio Manager" is also listed under the "Hardware and Sound" menu of the control panel. For now though, the disappearing act is only something of theoretical interest, as all my audio output needs are well taken care of by the AMD HDMI OUTPUT, and the USB DAC output solutions. I would just like to know how the get the "Realtek HD" option back into the "Manage Sound Devices" menu, in case I need it in future for some reason. Thanks for all your help.
post #8417 of 9817 Old 11-12-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Inspect the speaker and swap it with another one.  That is the only way to know if it is the speaker or the receiver.

But if it's the speaker, why does it sound fine except when Audyssey is trying to find it?   That seems counter-intuitive to me.

post #8418 of 9817 Old 11-12-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool57 View Post

But if it's the speaker, why does it sound fine except when Audyssey is trying to find it?   That seems counter-intuitive to me.

Maybe the sweeps are pushing it harder?  Just trying to eliminate variables.  If you swap the speaker and the problem goes away you know it is the speaker.  If the problem stays it is the receiver or the wiring.

post #8419 of 9817 Old 11-12-2013, 12:55 PM

Is the tweeter ok?
You will hear sound ok when you do a level test but Audyssey will fail to detect the speaker if the tweeter is dead.
post #8420 of 9817 Old 11-12-2013, 02:05 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Newer nVidia (GTX500 series and above, I believe) cards have the capability to HDMI out through a DVI.

I just set up a GTX480 this way, actually. I don't know when it started. I haven't done extensive testing, but when playing Team Fortress 2, sound seemed appropriately mixed to my 5.1 system.

Here's one thing I am still unclear on. How many audio channels does Nvidia's built in sound support? It's NOT passing through the realtek sound from the motherboard, it's Nvidia sound hardware... right? (There should be a forum for this!)

Edit: link to thread with Nvidia GPU audio hardware info -- http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?s=e74c2b5d4ddeef367ed472e72427a446&p=2308805&postcount=11

Now, back to the 818...
post #8421 of 9817 Old 11-12-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post

Here's one thing I am still unclear on. How many audio channels does Nvidia's built in sound support? It's NOT passing through the realtek sound from the motherboard, it's Nvidia sound hardware... right? (There should be a forum for this!)

It's not passing through the sound adapter at all. It just sends whatever audio it can given the HDMI specs. It can be in various formats (compressed, PCM, etc.). The max it can send is 7.1 HD audio such as DTS-MA and Dolby True-HD. But it can carry stereo streams, 5.1 streams, etc.

post #8422 of 9817 Old 11-12-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post

I just set up a GTX480 this way, actually. I don't know when it started. I haven't done extensive testing, but when playing Team Fortress 2, sound seemed appropriately mixed to my 5.1 system.

Edit: link to thread with Nvidia GPU audio hardware info -- http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?s=e74c2b5d4ddeef367ed472e72427a446&p=2308805&postcount=11

Now, back to the 818...

Sorry for the late reply. The video card does not process the audio, it merely transfers the format out. No processing of audio occurs in the PC, and it is limited only by HDMI spec. If you put the 818 on pure or direct it will automatically play the format (stereo, 5.1, etc).

So really all that is occurring is the audio is encoded when you play something, the signal with the encoded information is passed to the avr and your avr decodes it.
post #8423 of 9817 Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry for the late reply. The video card does not process the audio, it merely transfers the format out. No processing of audio occurs in the PC, and it is limited only by HDMI spec. If you put the 818 on pure or direct it will automatically play the format (stereo, 5.1, etc).

Exactly.

However, no need to use pure or direct. On the Onkyo 818 this will disable the sub and Audyssey equalizing. Note that what is sent as the audio stream is dependent upon the software running on the PC. Typically, in Windows 7 & 8, some software will send audio to Window's sound server. The sound server will mix that audio with the audio from other applications and the system itself, and send all that as (decoded) linear PCM to the receiver. On the Onkyo 818, this will generally be displayed as "MULTICH" when the HDMI output in Windows is configured as 5.1 or 7.1.

Some software on Windows are able to take control of the output device and bypass Windows' sound server (using the WASAPI driver), and put arbitrary stuff on the HDMI audio channels. Thus, it's possible for playback software to bitstream HD audio formats such as DTS HD Master Audio or Dobly TrueHD to the receiver. When this is done, the 818 will correctly identify the input as DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD. However, this also means that no other audio (e.g. system sounds or other software) can be mixed in the stream.

In any case, there is no quality issue: the audio is entirely sent as is digitally. If DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD is bitstreamed, then the 818 will decode the stream. After that, the analog conversion will take place through the 818's DACs. There may be sound adapters with better DACs than the 818 (I honestly don't know) but I'd trust the 818's DACs over any sound adapter cheaper than $400 that is placed inside a computer case. If you're an audiophile and want to use better DACs than the 818, then you should use an HDMI or USB connection from the PC to your special DAC, and then send the analog output from the DAC to an appropriate amp. Sending the analog output to the 818 would be absurd, unless perhaps used in Pure mode where the analog signal is presumably amplified as is with no processing applied. So in conclusion, I see no good reason to use a sound adapter to output analog audio from a PC to the 818.

post #8424 of 9817 Old 11-15-2013, 08:24 AM

Liked: 13

Now $699 at Crutchfield.

BGLeduc likes this.
post #8425 of 9817 Old 11-15-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor dumas View Post

Now $699 at Crutchfield.

Mega!

You just got me $50. I bought mine on 10/8 for $749. I called their 800 number, and in about 1 minute they issued a $50 credit against my Visa card.

Much obliged, sir!!!!!

Brian
migraine24-7 and doctor dumas like this.
post #8426 of 9817 Old 11-15-2013, 01:59 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor dumas View Post

Now $699 at Crutchfield.

Mega!

You just got me $50. I bought mine on 10/8 for $749. I called their 800 number, and in about 1 minute they issued a $50 credit against my Visa card.

Much obliged, sir!!!!!

Brian

Love this forum and thank goodness I subscribe to this thread. I bought it for 799 on 9/28 then got 50 back a few weeks ago. Just called again and got another 50 back biggrin.gif.
post #8427 of 9817 Old 11-15-2013, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new toy I know I love mine. One thing to take into consideration is the 818 cannot do 11.2 it can only do 9.2 which needs an external amp to achieve.

I made the same mistake thinking I could add more channels via external amp and increase to 11.2 but it was not meant to be...9.2 in the main room and the other 2 ended up in my office rolleyes.gif
post #8428 of 9817 Old 11-15-2013, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Forgive me if this has been brought up before, I did a search for Audyssey-related discussion but there's like 57 pages of it.

My 818's Audyssey gets stuck at measuring the very first speaker. When I first got it, I was able to fix the problem by doing a factory reset and then leaving it unplugged for a while, but then that stopped working... by then, though, I'd managed to run it and save the settings so I just left it.

But, I got it back from an authorized repair center a while back after another problem, and they reset everything. And I can't get Audyssey past trying to measure that first speaker no matter what I do.

Onkyo had me try another Audyssey mic (albeit an older one, which was all I had), which didn't help. Is there anything else I can try?

Alternatively, I have the Audyssey speaker level settings from my old Onkyo 805. I realize it's not ideal, but I was thinking of plugging those settings in and calling it a day... it took like 45 days to get this thing repaired last time, and the 805 is on its last legs and barely usable. frown.gif
post #8429 of 9817 Old 11-16-2013, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post

Forgive me if this has been brought up before, I did a search for Audyssey-related discussion but there's like 57 pages of it.

My 818's Audyssey gets stuck at measuring the very first speaker. When I first got it, I was able to fix the problem by doing a factory reset and then leaving it unplugged for a while, but then that stopped working... by then, though, I'd managed to run it and save the settings so I just left it.

But, I got it back from an authorized repair center a while back after another problem, and they reset everything. And I can't get Audyssey past trying to measure that first speaker no matter what I do.

Onkyo had me try another Audyssey mic (albeit an older one, which was all I had), which didn't help. Is there anything else I can try?

Alternatively, I have the Audyssey speaker level settings from my old Onkyo 805. I realize it's not ideal, but I was thinking of plugging those settings in and calling it a day... it took like 45 days to get this thing repaired last time, and the 805 is on its last legs and barely usable. frown.gif

You could try to switch the LEFT speaker with the RIGHT to rule out a bad speaker.

Try another RESET Or a bunch of them..

Putting in your 805 levels would likely be ok, but you wouldn't have any Audyssey correction, of course.

I know you won't like this, but I wouldn't accept the unit not being able to run XT32, which really separates it from much cheaper receivers..
post #8430 of 9817 Old 11-16-2013, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Irony is XT32 is really the reason I got it, but I just don't know what I'd do without a receiver for a month+. If my 805 could temporarily replace it again it'd be a different story, but it's gotten to the point where I can't play any BD content or games at all without it cutting off almost immediately. frown.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page