Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 283 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8461 of 9971 Old 11-21-2013, 10:51 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 1495
Unless one plans on using at least a 90"/100" screen or larger, no point in considering 4K over 1080p.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8462 of 9971 Old 11-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Unless one plans on using at least a 90"/100" screen or larger, no point in considering 4K over 1080p.

While I won't be a early adopter, count me in for a 4K projector. I run a 159" screen. But I feel a lot still needs sorted out before 4K is worth the $$$. JMO.

GO BLUE
post #8463 of 9971 Old 11-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

say that after you see my set wink.gif

Light controlled environment---

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8464 of 9971 Old 11-23-2013, 05:52 AM

Liked: 10
Hi Team, I have an issue between the volume in the 'stereo' mode and the 'THX' mode. Some programs in D5.1 have adds in stereo and the volume difference is too big. Where can I adjust that? Setting the Dolby volume on helped a bit, but it's still too much. read the manual and this link (mostly) but can't find this particular issue. Any advise appreciated! Thanks, Rene
post #8465 of 9971 Old 11-23-2013, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

All of my THX modes are way softer than the non THX. I just learned to not use them. wink.gif

post #8466 of 9971 Old 11-23-2013, 06:39 AM

Yeah, sounds great. So how do I switch off the automatic switching to stereo with the adds??
post #8467 of 9971 Old 11-23-2013, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

You can't. Just set the same sound mode for stereo as you do for Dolby Digital or whatever surround signal you are getting

post #8468 of 9971 Old 11-23-2013, 02:54 PM

Liked: 12
Help Please.

I have just purchased this receiver and all but 1 problem I am very pleased with it.

My problem is that at first I could do this ok as I had to change the AV sync (3D 4K TV, Audio ahead of video) but now I cannot get into Setup or Home on the following inputs BD/DVD, CBL/SAT & STB/DVR.
All the other inputs I can use both Setup & Home ok.

Does any one else have this problem / is there a cure or what am I missing here
post #8469 of 9971 Old 11-23-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwatt View Post

Help Please.

I have just purchased this receiver and all but 1 problem I am very pleased with it.

My problem is that at first I could do this ok as I had to change the AV sync (3D 4K TV, Audio ahead of video) but now I cannot get into Setup or Home on the following inputs BD/DVD, CBL/SAT & STB/DVR.
All the other inputs I can use both Setup & Home ok.

Does any one else have this problem / is there a cure or what am I missing here

I have just discovered the following, I can get Setup & Home if I press the buttons BD/DVD, CBL/SAT % STB/DVR on the unit itself but using the remote for that and the subsequent adjustments is a no no.

Does this mean my remote is stuffed?
post #8470 of 9971 Old 11-24-2013, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

I have just discovered the following, I can get Setup & Home if I press the buttons BD/DVD, CBL/SAT % STB/DVR on the unit itself but using the remote for that and the subsequent adjustments is a no no.

Does this mean my remote is stuffed?

Are you setting the remote to the RECEIVER button after your input choice?
post #8471 of 9971 Old 11-24-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Are you setting the remote to the RECEIVER button after your input choice?

I am new with this unit so all I can say is that I turn on the 818 from standby by pressing RECEIVER amp button. I then press BD/DVD to select my Blu Ray player. From that point I then want to go into Setup or Home (so as to say adjust the AV Sync or anything else) but I cannot do that , neither can I when I select CBL/SAT or STB/DVR but can select and get on screen
Setup / Home setting for GAME 1 & 2, PC and all the others.

Does that explain my problem.
post #8472 of 9971 Old 11-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am new with this unit so all I can say is that I turn on the 818 from standby by pressing RECEIVER amp button. I then press BD/DVD to select my Blu Ray player. From that point I then want to go into Setup or Home (so as to say adjust the AV Sync or anything else) but I cannot do that , neither can I when I select CBL/SAT or STB/DVR but can select and get on screen Setup / Home setting for GAME 1 & 2, PC and all the others.

Does that explain my problem.

First; make sure that you have HDMI Main Out going to your monitor.

On your remote you will see RECEIVER directly below NET.

After choosing your video input, (BD, CBL) you have to find and push RECEIVER and then HOME>SETUP.
post #8473 of 9971 Old 11-24-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

First; make sure that you have HDMI Main Out going to your monitor.

On your remote you will see RECEIVER directly below NET.

After choosing your video input, (BD, CBL) you have to find and push RECEIVER and then HOME>SETUP.

Ahhhh yes I got it,,, it works now. thank you very much.

Out of curiosity, why do we have to press RECEIVER to make the BD/DVD, CBL/SAT & STB/DVR work yet the other inputs bring up the HOME & SETUP option ok??

Once again thank you
post #8474 of 9971 Old 11-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ahhhh yes I got it,,, it works now. thank you very much.

Out of curiosity, why do we have to press RECEIVER to make the BD/DVD, CBL/SAT & STB/DVR work yet the other inputs bring up the HOME & SETUP option ok??

Once again thank you

Good, I'm glad that worked for you.

As to why it has to be set that way, I have no idea. I only use a Blu-Ray player and Sat box. Maybe more technically informed people will know.
post #8475 of 9971 Old 11-25-2013, 04:44 PM

Liked: 18
ok, here goes a new one.

I got me an xbox one (love the tv and kinect integration). The xbox can turn on and off my tv and cable box but not my 818. when selecting the receiver model on the xbox one the only choice for an 818 is "txnr818(zone4).

Does that mean I HAVE to have it connected to the Game 1 hdmi port for the xbox to be able to turn on and off the 818?? I currently have it on game 2. im asking first cuz its going to be a pain for me to move everything again to get back there to make the switch so i wanna see if anyone experienced this yet.
post #8476 of 9971 Old 11-25-2013, 09:35 PM

I've got a question I was hoping someone might be able to answer. My main room is setup for 7.1 with wide fronts. I'd like to use the front high speaker inputs as a zone 3 for another room but I can't turn on powered zone 3 unless I also turn on powered zone 2 which kills my front wides for use in the main room. My goal is to power my second room using the front highs and maintain my front wides in the main room. Is that possible? Is there a way to use a powered zone 3 and not zone 2? Zone 3 is grayed out unless zone 2 is turned on for me. Any advice is much appreciated.

UPDATE:

Think I found my own answer, Manual reads

"When Powered Zone 2 is used, playback in the main room is
reduced to 5.1 channels.
• When Powered Zone 3 is used, playback in the main room is
reduced to 3.1 channels."

Guess I need to look into an external amplifier...Any recommendations for an inexpensive one to power two 6" in wall speakers in a shower?
post #8477 of 9971 Old 11-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigern1121 View Post

I've got a question I was hoping someone might be able to answer. My main room is setup for 7.1 with wide fronts. I'd like to use the front high speaker inputs as a zone 3 for another room but I can't turn on powered zone 3 unless I also turn on powered zone 2 which kills my front wides for use in the main room. My goal is to power my second room using the front highs and maintain my front wides in the main room. Is that possible? Is there a way to use a powered zone 3 and not zone 2? Zone 3 is grayed out unless zone 2 is turned on for me. Any advice is much appreciated.

UPDATE:

Think I found my own answer, Manual reads

"When Powered Zone 2 is used, playback in the main room is
reduced to 5.1 channels.
• When Powered Zone 3 is used, playback in the main room is
reduced to 3.1 channels."

Guess I need to look into an external amplifier...Any recommendations for an inexpensive one to power two 6" in wall speakers in a shower?

Look into Crown XLR at parts express. I'm very happy with mine. I have XLR 1500 powering subs and XLR 1000 powering fronts.
Bluewind1138 likes this.

GO BLUE
post #8478 of 9971 Old 11-27-2013, 11:19 PM

with my PC as the source I am trying to use the Coaxial Input or Analog Input on the 818, while using my music player on the monitor (TV)

818 is set to PC = HDMI 6

In Source Setup ---> Audio Selector I can specify which audio input to use, doesn't seem to do much so far. At one point I was able to get the Coaxial Input while using HDMI, but not Analog (Game1) for some reason.

any other ideas, maybe changing the HDMI to Through or ?

my system is 5.1 only, would the Zone 2 output be of any use? Maybe to a 2 channel amp for 2-channel music listening? Zone 2 would be just another preamp out, or is that more of a Line Out?

Is there a way to bypass the preamp and use just the main amp? I think would need a separate processor for that?

just trying to upgrade the 2-channel music, thinking about a small integrated amp with HT Bypass also.

thanks for any ideas
post #8479 of 9971 Old 11-28-2013, 09:55 PM

Got a question about possibly using the 818 as a preamp. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to home theater so I may be asking the wrong questions. But I've had the 818 since Christmas of last year and it has been amazing. I've got it setup for my media room using all 7.2 channels. But today I was given a B&K Components AVR 307. Obviously the 307 is a much older amp but has a lot more power. Looks like the 307 was worth $3500 back when it was new. Would it be worth it (or possible) to setup the 818 as a preamp and the 307 as a power amp for all 7 channels. Would I still be able to use the 818's audyssey multeq xt32 to calibrate my room and all the other more up to date audio formats/features? If this is possible could someone point me in the right direction for configuring and setting up a preamp/power amp like this?

Also I'm using all monoprice in-wall speakers b/c I set this media room up on a small budget over a year ago. So this may be overkill for my speakers. I've got the 8 inch 3 way speakers for my fronts and surrounds, the 8 inch in ceiling with 15 degree angled woofer for my surround backs, and the 5 1/4 inch for my center. Anyways, would it be worth it?

Thanks,

S3N

post #8480 of 9971 Old 11-29-2013, 05:21 AM

post #8481 of 9971 Old 11-29-2013, 05:30 AM

post #8482 of 9971 Old 11-29-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldgutierrez View Post

Does any of you experience clicking (relay) after about 25 - 30 mins of play time (from startup)? It happens only at that time frame and I notice it almost everytime I use the receiver. I'm not sure if that's normal or what but it's kind of annoying.

By the way firmware has been updated and the issue happens on hdmi and optical audio connection.

Thanks!

~~My receiver does the same thing. If any one else has noticed a relay click for no apparent reason after the unit is put under load please msg. this thread. When it gets warm or starts to be put under load the impedance relay that switches the rail voltage between 4 and 6 ohm settings automatically engages and switches to 4 ohm. If you wait until this click happens open the on screen display, speaker settings and change the setting back and forth from 6 to 4 then back to 6 and press return. It will click back to 6 ohm. I have called them about this issue and they told me that they did not think it should change on its own. That particular relay probably due to its positioning in the case becomes a very recognizable sound. When it clicks or switches to 4 ohm it is slightly softer or thinner sounding and when it returns to 6 ohm it is a much thicker louder clack. I am certain this is what is going on with mine and I would bet many others. If it is a flaw so be it but if it is a protection type set up it is not acceptable as the 4 ohm setting in my opinion should not even be an option an amplifier either is or is not capable of driving a load and turning down its fuel source put my other equipment at risk. If anyone has the ability on AVS has the ability to test my theory please do. I don't have the equipment to test the unit but I am well acquainted with the Onkyo service tech in my area and I am going to ask him for certain when I take it in to have it serviced. If protection is the case I will be petitioning Onkyo for my money back as the unit then becomes just a pre amp which was only half of its intended purpose.

post #8483 of 9971 Old 11-29-2013, 08:29 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Olinski View Post

~~My receiver does the same thing. If any one else has noticed a relay click for no apparent reason after the unit is put under load please msg. this thread. When it gets warm or starts to be put under load the impedance relay that switches the rail voltage between 4 and 6 ohm settings automatically engages and switches to 4 ohm. If you wait until this click happens open the on screen display, speaker settings and change the setting back and forth from 6 to 4 then back to 6 and press return. It will click back to 6 ohm. I have called them about this issue and they told me that they did not think it should change on its own. That particular relay probably due to its positioning in the case becomes a very recognizable sound. When it clicks or switches to 4 ohm it is slightly softer or thinner sounding and when it returns to 6 ohm it is a much thicker louder clack. I am certain this is what is going on with mine and I would bet many others. If it is a flaw so be it but if it is a protection type set up it is not acceptable as the 4 ohm setting in my opinion should not even be an option an amplifier either is or is not capable of driving a load and turning down its fuel source put my other equipment at risk. If anyone has the ability on AVS has the ability to test my theory please do. I don't have the equipment to test the unit but I am well acquainted with the Onkyo service tech in my area and I am going to ask him for certain when I take it in to have it serviced. If protection is the case I will be petitioning Onkyo for my money back as the unit then becomes just a pre amp which was only half of its intended purpose.
Ive heard clicking also but i only notice when im watching tbetween commercials
post #8484 of 9971 Old 11-29-2013, 10:15 AM

FWIW, the TP-LINK TL-WN722N which is the much cheaper plug-compatible substitute for the Onkyo UWF1 WiFi Adapter is on sale at $9.99 (+tax) shipped from Newegg on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/TP-LINK-TL-WN722N-Wireless-N150-High-Gain-USB-Adapter-150Mbps-w-4-dBi-High-Gai-/291008037867?pt=US_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item43c16e43eb
post #8485 of 9971 Old 11-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassConfusion View Post

Ive heard clicking also but i only notice when im watching tbetween commercials

that is normal.
post #8486 of 9971 Old 11-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinemax View Post

FWIW, the TP-LINK TL-WN722N which is the much cheaper plug-compatible substitute for the Onkyo UWF1 WiFi Adapter is on sale at $9.99 (+tax) shipped from Newegg on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/TP-LINK-TL-WN722N-Wireless-N150-High-Gain-USB-Adapter-150Mbps-w-4-dBi-High-Gai-/291008037867?pt=US_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item43c16e43eb

better signal as well.
post #8487 of 9971 Old 11-30-2013, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Olinski View Post

Mine also does this regardless of firmware, settings, input, volume ect. And always after 25-30. Whats going on?
post #8488 of 9971 Old 11-30-2013, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I think the relay clicks are heard before/after the fans kick in?

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #8489 of 9971 Old 11-30-2013, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

I think the relay clicks are heard before/after the fans kick in?

Nope. The fans are off. I can hear them when they go on. And see if they are on in the Oremote app. So its not that.
post #8490 of 9971 Old 11-30-2013, 10:13 AM

I need some advice...

I've done a ton of research and the 818 is exactly what I want. I don't need HDMI 2, so I don't need to wait for a new receiver. And my buddy is willing to sell me his for $550 that he bought from Amazon a few months ago. He's going to give me the Amazon receipt too. But here's the thing, I can't use it at all for at least 6 months. He says it works perfectly and it's mint, and even comes with the box. But I can't seriously run it for at least 6 months. And I know that Onkyo says that the warranty isn't transferable, but I would think that with the Amazon receipt they would accept it (because it could be considered a gift I think. I'll also check to see if it was actually sold by Amazon or if it was sold by an unauthorized dealer).

So bottom-line: Should I buy it now for the great price, or should I hold off until I can actually use it?

Edit: Now I'm starting to think that I should hold off for a discounted Denon X4000 and not worry about quality issues, but I know this is a 818 thread smile.gif

Denon AVR-X4000 ($622)
Gallo Strada 2 fronts, with Mapleshade stands ($600)
HSU VTF-2 ($215)
Harmony 650 remote
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page