Forum Jump: 

post #8641 of 9988 Old 12-17-2013, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post

Speaking of horrible cables poking out of the front, is there any way to attach an iPod to the back USB port? Manual says it will only work in the front port, which sucks because you have to open the garage door and it's ugly.

Another option is to just connect it with an RCA Y-splitter to any input you like (you can get a 12 ft cable on Amazon for around 10 bucks), and drive it with the ipod itself. Prettier, and I personally find the ipod easier to navigate than the AVR.
Tom Riddle likes this.

"You can observe a lot just by watchin'." - Yogi Berra

2014 HTPC/Gaming Rig:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 9988 Old 12-18-2013, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post

Speaking of horrible cables poking out of the front, is there any way to attach an iPod to the back USB port? Manual says it will only work in the front port, which sucks because you have to open the garage door and it's ugly.
The rear USB runs at USB 1.0 spec, It could work but will be slow?

edit: Just tried my 32GB USB flash stick in the back, loaded up a 60MB track quickly, just like the front.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #8643 of 9988 Old 12-18-2013, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by talonqc View Post

Thanks MadMyers! 

but the flexibility with the 818 along with Audyssey XT32 I am leaning more towards the 818.

If you need to integrate a Sub to your system XT32 is a powerful tool. I've been using 818 for a year now and I'm very happy with it so far. Under 5.1 load runs only a little warm. SQ is very good.
post #8644 of 9988 Old 12-18-2013, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuniverse View Post

If you need to integrate a Sub to your system XT32 is a powerful tool. I've been using 818 for a year now and I'm very happy with it so far. Under 5.1 load runs only a little warm. SQ is very good.

Good to know!  I am planning on DIY'ing 2 Elemental Design 19ov.2's that I have had new in box for quite a while.  I ended up not using them in my 4runner so I figured I would give them a shot for HT use.  I found a build thread on here for a box to use and will give that a shot.  I am still on the lookout for an amp for them.  If it doesn't work, oh well, no extra money out of my pocket except for the amp which I am sure I can find a use for.

post #8645 of 9988 Old 12-18-2013, 11:39 AM

Liked: 28
Hi guys. So I just purchased an Emotiva XPA-5. Hooked it up via RCA cable etc and ran Audyssey without any changes. Meaning, no Zone 2 or 3 power, no external amp selection etc. It seems to have worked fine, but did I do the correct thing? Are there any tips or advice I could act on to get better results? Thanks in advance.

Onkyo TX-NR818
Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RF-7II Main Cherry (x2), RC-64II Center Cherry, RF-15 Wide (x2), RS-62II Surround (x2), SW-115 Subwoofer
OPPO BDP-103D
Samsung PN64F8500
post #8646 of 9988 Old 12-18-2013, 12:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post

Has anyone else had an issue with the 818 not initially recognizing 3D capabilities of your blu-ray player or TV? Typically, powering the player on and off or just stopping the disc and restarting it will fix it, but it's annoying.

Yes and this has been driving me nuts.  I posted looking for help over on the VPL-HW50ES Forum, as I wasn't sure if it was the PJ, the BD or the NR818.  Shutting off and restarting did nothing for me, but I was able to play 3D from the PS3 no problem which had me thinking it was the BD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Thats not accurate according to what Ive read
Set to "Source" the Onkyo outputs the exact same resolution that comes in, and Pic Mode "Direct" should just pass it. I've confirmed with those settings, in testing, that 720p/60 in comes out as 720p/60, 1080i/60 in comes out as 1080i/60. 1080p/24 3D in goes out as 1080p/24 3D.

Making this change seems to have worked for me.  The 3D disk started up with no problem.  I can't thank you enough!

post #8647 of 9988 Old 12-18-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWellSpent View Post

Quote:

Has anyone else had an issue with the 818 not initially recognizing 3D capabilities of your blu-ray player or TV? Typically, powering the player on and off or just stopping the disc and restarting it will fix it, but it's annoying.
Yes and this has been driving me nuts.  I posted looking for help over on the VPL-HW50ES Forum, as I wasn't sure if it was the PJ, the BD or the NR818.  Shutting off and restarting did nothing for me, but I was able to play 3D from the PS3 no problem which had me thinking it was the BD.

FYI, I have not had this problem since I switched from a Samsung BD player to the Oppo 103D.

Onkyo TX-NR818
Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RF-7II Main Cherry (x2), RC-64II Center Cherry, RF-15 Wide (x2), RS-62II Surround (x2), SW-115 Subwoofer
OPPO BDP-103D
Samsung PN64F8500
post #8648 of 9988 Old 12-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

Hi guys. So I just purchased an Emotiva XPA-5. Hooked it up via RCA cable etc and ran Audyssey without any changes. Meaning, no Zone 2 or 3 power, no external amp selection etc. It seems to have worked fine, but did I do the correct thing? Are there any tips or advice I could act on to get better results? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you did everything correctly. Elaborate on the results you're looking for - does it not sound right?

fdsfds
post #8649 of 9988 Old 12-18-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

Quote:

Sounds like you did everything correctly. Elaborate on the results you're looking for - does it not sound right?

It sounds fine. I just found that whole menu system a bit confusing since zone 2, 3 and external amp selection only allowed 2 speakers each. Thanks for the response.

Onkyo TX-NR818
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO BDP-103D
Samsung PN64F8500
post #8650 of 9988 Old 12-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It sounds fine. I just found that whole menu system a bit confusing since zone 2, 3 and external amp selection only allowed 2 speakers each. Thanks for the response.

No problem. How does it sound with the XPA-5 vs the Onkyo amp? I plan to grab an XPA-5 soon to pair with my 818.

fdsfds
post #8651 of 9988 Old 12-18-2013, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi guys, I just received my 818 and have it connected to my PS3.  Tonight while watching a movie the screen kept going blank and the receiver would say that the signal was dropped.  This happened at least a dozen times during a 2 hour movie.  I checked the HDMI connection and it seemed good.  Any ideas what is going on?  If it matters I have the receiver connected to an Epson projector but I could clearly see that the 818 display said there was a signal drop. I have watched hundreds on movies on the PS3 previously but not with the 818.

Thanks

post #8652 of 9988 Old 12-18-2013, 09:14 PM

It certainly doesn't sound any worse. I was worried about hum and hiss, but it's barely audible. I haven't had the chance to really use the power yet. I use the 818 to power the wide fronts only at this point and possibly rear surrounds one day. Everything else is powered by the XPA-5.

Onkyo TX-NR818
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO BDP-103D
Samsung PN64F8500
post #8653 of 9988 Old 12-19-2013, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It certainly doesn't sound any worse. I was worried about hum and hiss, but it's barely audible. I haven't had the chance to really use the power yet. I use the 818 to power the wide fronts only at this point and possibly rear surrounds one day. Everything else is powered by the XPA-5.

If you don't mind, let me know your impressions once you open it up.

fdsfds
post #8654 of 9988 Old 12-19-2013, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcity View Post

Hi guys, I just received my 818 and have it connected to my PS3.  Tonight while watching a movie the screen kept going blank and the receiver would say that the signal was dropped.  This happened at least a dozen times during a 2 hour movie.  I checked the HDMI connection and it seemed good.  Any ideas what is going on?  If it matters I have the receiver connected to an Epson projector but I could clearly see that the 818 display said there was a signal drop. I have watched hundreds on movies on the PS3 previously but not with the 818.

Thanks

Sounds like a handshake issue. What settings do you have the 818 set for video?

fdsfds
post #8655 of 9988 Old 12-19-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:

What sort of speakers do you connect it to and what are their (RMS) impedance? I had considered buying XPA-2 a while back but I was not sure whether I would hear any difference as my all 5 speakers are 8 ohm and my listening volume is normally within the 60-85dB range.

I would love to read your impressions.
post #8656 of 9988 Old 12-19-2013, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

Thanks

I had a bad HDMI cable that gave me similar results, can you swap it out for something else?

post #8657 of 9988 Old 12-19-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:

Quote:

What sort of speakers do you connect it to and what are their (RMS) impedance? I had considered buying XPA-2 a while back but I was not sure whether I would hear any difference as my all 5 speakers are 8 ohm and my listening volume is normally within the 60-85dB range.

cyclones---Sounds like you did the setup just fine unless there's some gain matching between the units but there's no adjustment for such.

macuniverse--At such low listening levels (assuming those are measured at your listening position) even with low sensitivity speakers how could you need more amp than the 818? What is RMS impedance? You mean nominal?

post #8658 of 9988 Old 12-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

cyclones---Sounds like you did the setup just fine unless there's some gain matching between the units but there's no adjustment for such.

macuniverse--At such low listening levels (assuming those are measured at your listening position) even with low sensitivity speakers how could you need more amp than the 818? What is RMS impedance? You mean nominal?

Isn't it better to have than to have not? Lol.

fdsfds
post #8659 of 9988 Old 12-19-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:

Quote:

Isn't it better to have than to have not? Lol.

Only if you have less need for the money than for any unnecessary amplification....suum quique.

post #8660 of 9988 Old 12-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Touché

fdsfds
post #8661 of 9988 Old 12-19-2013, 02:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassConfusion View Post

ok, here goes a new one.

I got me an xbox one (love the tv and kinect integration). The xbox can turn on and off my tv and cable box but not my 818. when selecting the receiver model on the xbox one the only choice for an 818 is "txnr818(zone4).

Does that mean I HAVE to have it connected to the Game 1 hdmi port for the xbox to be able to turn on and off the 818?? I currently have it on game 2. im asking first cuz its going to be a pain for me to move everything again to get back there to make the switch so i wanna see if anyone experienced this yet.

Don't know if this was answered for you already but i selected txnr809 and that seams to have sorted the issue of switching off the receiver.

just so you know the xbox one doesnt use hdmi to command the tv and receiver, it just uses IR like the remote and simple sends a power on/off signal like a remote.

thanks mark

MassConfusion likes this.
post #8662 of 9988 Old 12-19-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi guys. I have Klipsch RF-7ii x 2, RS-62ii x 2 and an RC-64ii running off the XPA-5. I run RF-15 x 2 as the wide fronts off the Onkyo 818. I bought the XPA-5 for 2 reasons. Firstly because I'd like to add rear surrounds one day to get my setup to 9.1 or 9.2 if I get a second sub. Secondly, when I have company over, I run the system around -10 or a tad louder or so and I wanted to make sure all 7 speakers were getting sufficient power.

It could just be a placebo effect, but it seems to me the lower frequencies are a bit more pronounced now. One thing I wanted to mention is I have been out of town for 2 weeks, so it's not like I had been listening to my system regularly since the XPA-5 came to my doorstep. One of these weekends I'll attempt some sort of unscientific A/B testing and see if I can legitimately tell the difference at higher volumes.

Onkyo TX-NR818
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO BDP-103D
Samsung PN64F8500
post #8663 of 9988 Old 12-19-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Sorry, yes, I meant nominal impedance. Before I purchased my 818 I was advised to match it to 8ohm speakers. I understand some speakers may need high currents at certain frequencies due to drop in speaker impedance. The word was not to use 818 with a 4ohm speaker to be on the safe side.

In my case you are correct. Although my speakers are 87dB (sensitivity) 818 handles them comfortably. Having said that I have a powered Sub which does the heavy lifting.

cyclones22 - looks like Onkyo 818 would not have any difficulties driving your (8ohm, very efficient) speakers. For 9.1 you need an external amp anyway. So, enjoy your new nice setup ;-))
post #8664 of 9988 Old 12-19-2013, 07:57 PM

Liked: 11

I'm interested in the TX-NR818 more for listening to music. Seen the 2ch power output specs but am wondering if there are any results for more than 2 channels driven simultaneously like 4, 5 or 7. Are there any review web sites that test AVR audio power output thoroughly these days?

post #8665 of 9988 Old 12-20-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:

Sounds like a handshake issue. What settings do you have the 818 set for video?

I will have to look into this.  The video that I was watching was not a blue ray so it was standard definition (Man on Fire).  I put in a blue ray disc last night and there weren't any issues.  I then put in Battlefield 3 and it did the same thing with the signal loss.

I am using the Game 1 input, what should I have the setting set at?  I guess I assumed that things would be plug and play.  I printed the entire manual at work this morning, looks like I have some reading to do now.

Thanks

post #8666 of 9988 Old 12-20-2013, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will have to look into this.  The video that I was watching was not a blue ray so it was standard definition (Man on Fire).  I put in a blue ray disc last night and there weren't any issues.  I then put in Battlefield 3 and it did the same thing with the signal loss.

I am using the Game 1 input, what should I have the setting set at?  I guess I assumed that things would be plug and play.  I printed the entire manual at work this morning, looks like I have some reading to do now.

Thanks

Onkyo provides the option for you to use their video processing by setting it to one of their modes, setting it to "through" (processing still engaged but unfiltered signal sent to the tv), and then to bypass (video processing is off and the use of the OSD will be lost). It could also be the HDMI port, the cable or the blu-ray player. I once had a handshake issue like this that turned out to be a faulty port; I switched ports and never had another problem.

fdsfds
post #8667 of 9988 Old 12-21-2013, 03:03 PM

I have tried different HDMI cables and both the Game 1 and Game 2 ports and am still having the issue - here is how my PS3 is setup under Video Settings:

BD/DVD - Cinema Conversion = Automatic

BD/DVD Upscaler = Off

BD/DVD - Video Output Format (HDMI) = Automatic

1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI) = automatic

BD/DVD - Dynamic Range Control = automatic

BD/DVD - Audio Output Format (HDMI) = bitstream

under Display Settings:

Video Output Settings - current output resolution: 1080p

Cross Color Reduction Filter = off

RGB Full Range (HDMI) = full

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super White (HDMI) = on

Deep Color Output (HDMI) = automatic

I havent' figured out yet how to adjust any settings in the 818 so those are how they came from the factory

any ideas?

post #8668 of 9988 Old 12-21-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

I have tried different HDMI cables and both the Game 1 and Game 2 ports and am still having the issue - here is how my PS3 is setup under Video Settings:

BD/DVD - Cinema Conversion = Automatic

BD/DVD Upscaler = Off

BD/DVD - Video Output Format (HDMI) = Automatic

1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI) = automatic

BD/DVD - Dynamic Range Control = automatic

BD/DVD - Audio Output Format (HDMI) = bitstream

under Display Settings:

Video Output Settings - current output resolution: 1080p

Cross Color Reduction Filter = off

RGB Full Range (HDMI) = full

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super White (HDMI) = on

Deep Color Output (HDMI) = automatic

I havent' figured out yet how to adjust any settings in the 818 so those are how they came from the factory

any ideas?

Try turning off Deep Color as that has been known to cause issues with some devices and there is no content available with Deep Color anyway.

post #8669 of 9988 Old 12-21-2013, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi everyone.

New 818 owner here with a question.

I have the receiver connected to a pair of RTI A7s and a new Pioneer BDP 62FD.
All i am trying to do at the moment is 2 channel music listening, mostly CDs basically to get a feel for how things sound.

I am assuming that the default setting for the speakers would be at Full Band or is that a wrong assumption.
If my assumption is wrong , what should they be set at and where would i make that change.

Would i also need to do any tweaking on the pioneer player as well.

Thanks for any input.

Receiver: Denon AVR-4520CISpeakers:Fronts: Polk Rti A7 /Center: Polk csiA6 /Surrounds: Polk Fxi A6SUB: Rythmik LV12R X2Source: Pioneer BDP62FDDisplay:Panasonic TC P50S60[/SIZE]
post #8670 of 9988 Old 12-21-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Since you don't have a sub then set them to full band. Better yet run the Audyssey calibration and it will do it for you.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page