Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 292 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8731 of 10066 Old 12-28-2013, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I pulled the trigger on the 818, for $699 from Crutchfield with free 2-day shipping. Here is my first question/concern:

I see some of you have external amps or are talking about getting them. The reason I am buying a receiver now is to basically simplify my current setup of separates, so I planned on selling my amp(s) and pre/pro.
My speakers are Three Polk LSi9's across the front and two Polk monitor 70's in the back and a powered SVS sub. (I only do 5.1) My Lsi9's are known to be power hungry. Should I have any concerns about this receiver being able to provide ample power?

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 10066 Old 12-28-2013, 10:05 AM

Liked: 11
Update help.... I performed the following USB update procedure and got the following results....

1. Downloaded the ZIP file from the USA website for the latest firmware update: ONKAVR000E_MAMAMAMAM9MAMA_116.zip
2. Extracted ZIP file onto a 2 GB empty USB drive, which contained a folder and 5 files. The folder also contained 5 files.
3. Switched RIHD off.
4. Selected NET as input source (note Pandora was playing)
5.Inserted USB flash drive with firmware in rear USB port
6. Selected HOME > Firmware Update > USB update

Results:
1. Screen confirms desire to update and requires to press enter
2. Music mutes and receiver display shows: downloading 0 to 100%
3. Receiver display then shows: DSPS writing...
4. After a few minutes display shows: Error !! 1-40 Update Error.
5. After another few minutes the receive display shuts off.

When I press on/standby to turn the receiver back on, it connects to NET and begins playing music. I navigate to the Firmware version and it shows the old firmware SN 1100-7101-0100-0000. I repeated the process twice with the same result. The first time I unplugged the receiver power cord before turning it back on after the display went blank. The second time I simply pressed the on/standby to turn the receiver back on.

Has anyone seen this type of firmware error display? Should I go out and buy another USB memory stick? Should I unplug the LAN cable from the receiver before updating? Thoughts?
post #8733 of 10066 Old 12-28-2013, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by fretwater View Post

Update help.... I performed the following USB update procedure and got the following results....

1. Downloaded the ZIP file from the USA website for the latest firmware update: ONKAVR000E_MAMAMAMAM9MAMA_116.zip
2. Extracted ZIP file onto a 2 GB empty USB drive, which contained a folder and 5 files. The folder also contained 5 files.
3. Switched RIHD off.
4. Selected NET as input source (note Pandora was playing)
5.Inserted USB flash drive with firmware in rear USB port
6. Selected HOME > Firmware Update > USB update

Results:
1. Screen confirms desire to update and requires to press enter
2. Music mutes and receiver display shows: downloading 0 to 100%
3. Receiver display then shows: DSPS writing...
4. After a few minutes display shows: Error !! 1-40 Update Error.
5. After another few minutes the receive display shuts off.

When I press on/standby to turn the receiver back on, it connects to NET and begins playing music. I navigate to the Firmware version and it shows the old firmware SN 1100-7101-0100-0000. I repeated the process twice with the same result. The first time I unplugged the receiver power cord before turning it back on after the display went blank. The second time I simply pressed the on/standby to turn the receiver back on.

Has anyone seen this type of firmware error display? Should I go out and buy another USB memory stick? Should I unplug the LAN cable from the receiver before updating? Thoughts?

Did you download the firmware from the US site? I don't know if this makes a difference but try that and also, I wouldn't be trying to play Pandora while doing the update. You also copy the folder and the files over exactly like they are, meaning don't take the files out of the folder and put them all together on the usb root folder.
post #8734 of 10066 Old 12-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreese View Post

Ok I pulled the trigger on the 818, for $699 from Crutchfield with free 2-day shipping. Here is my first question/concern:

I see some of you have external amps or are talking about getting them. The reason I am buying a receiver now is to basically simplify my current setup of separates, so I planned on selling my amp(s) and pre/pro.
My speakers are Three Polk LSi9's across the front and two Polk monitor 70's in the back and a powered SVS sub. (I only do 5.1) My Lsi9's are known to be power hungry. Should I have any concerns about this receiver being able to provide ample power?

I'd keep a external amp for LSi9s. I'm on the Polk forum. Many have the 9s and could give u better advice than I can.

GO BLUE
post #8735 of 10066 Old 12-28-2013, 12:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post

Did you download the firmware from the US site? I don't know if this makes a difference but try that and also, I wouldn't be trying to play Pandora while doing the update. You also copy the folder and the files over exactly like they are, meaning don't take the files out of the folder and put them all together on the usb root folder.

Update: Yes I was using firmware from the OnkyoUSA site. I went to the Onkyo forum and found a post that mentioned NOT to access the folder that gets extracted from the ZIP file. I got the update to work by reformatting the USB flash drive and re-downloading the firmware and this time NOT looking into the folder in the extracted files. I also stopped Pandora before update. I didn't get the Error message and it completed with the install!!! Not sure which of the 3 changes made the difference.
Donat76 likes this.
post #8736 of 10066 Old 12-28-2013, 12:49 PM

Hell AVSforums .

My situation is as this : proud ower of this baby 818 EU version.I wanted to get some good sound from the PC, decided and bought the m2tech hiface 2 USB to SPDIF transponder which is surely capable of 192 khz/ 24 bit(previously had an x-fi card which is horrible). As a player I used both Jriver and Foobar. Conection was made with also coaxial (2 models) and HDMI cable. When playing 192 khz files I get no sound from receiver .Change to 96 khz all it's ok. Also when playing 192 khz files via NET source I can get sound with specified info.

Something must be wrong. Your opinion can make a difference. Thank you.

PS : Just today listened to a friend an old ONKYO 8850. Too bad they don't make this stuff nowdays. 

post #8737 of 10066 Old 12-28-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

I'd keep a external amp for LSi9s. I'm on the Polk forum. Many have the 9s and could give u better advice than I can.

A polk forum within AVS or is that another website? My thinking/hope was since my subs internal amp is handling all the bass that the receiver should be able to feed them enough power with them set on small, which I believe will be 80hz and above...

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

post #8738 of 10066 Old 12-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

A polk forum within AVS or is that another website? My thinking/hope was since my subs internal amp is handling all the bass that the receiver should be able to feed them enough power with them set on small, which I believe will be 80hz and above...

What are your listening habits? If you're unsure, use an spl meter (the cheap radioshack model will work) to measure. If you're trying to drive to reference, you may run into problems depending on your listening distance. Here is a link that can provide some assistance:

http://www.crownaudio.com/elect-pwr-req.htm

Just plug in your required spl, listening distance and speaker efficiency. This is a good starting point. I know I posted that I was going to add an external amp with the money I saved from purchasing the 818, but I purchased a PS4 instead, lol. I plan to add one some day, but with my speakers - the Klipsch RF-62 II's, I won't get much if any benefit. I plan to add the amp for future speaker purchases that may require more power. If you decide you need an amp, check out Emotiva. The XPA-3 or XPA-5 would work great with your setup, and they are relatively inexpensive for the amount of power they provide.

fdsfds
post #8739 of 10066 Old 12-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by fretwater View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post

Update: Yes I was using firmware from the OnkyoUSA site. I went to the Onkyo forum and found a post that mentioned NOT to access the folder that gets extracted from the ZIP file. I got the update to work by reformatting the USB flash drive and re-downloading the firmware and this time NOT looking into the folder in the extracted files. I also stopped Pandora before update. I didn't get the Error message and it completed with the install!!! Not sure which of the 3 changes made the difference.

Sorry you are having trouble. At least you didn't brick your receiver!

I had an upgrade fail and ended up getting it to work using a different USB stick.
post #8740 of 10066 Old 12-28-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Has anyone seen this type of firmware error display?

Yes, I updated fw 2 months ago and a similar error message appeared. This happens in the last phase of update.
Update finished with this error message (photo below). No automatic shut down, or any other message. After a few minutes, I turned AVR off and after normal start-up, video out didn't work.
No video output at all, but audio and front display panel worked. I tried to repeat the update (front panel fortunately worked), from this same USB stick with same data, and the attempt was successful.

My luck, I was very angry (I updated fw 2x times before, without any problems).

post #8741 of 10066 Old 12-28-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

What are your listening habits? If you're unsure, use an spl meter (the cheap radioshack model will work) to measure. If you're trying to drive to reference, you may run into problems depending on your listening distance. Here is a link that can provide some assistance:

http://www.crownaudio.com/elect-pwr-req.htm

Just plug in your required spl, listening distance and speaker efficiency. This is a good starting point. I know I posted that I was going to add an external amp with the money I saved from purchasing the 818, but I purchased a PS4 instead, lol. I plan to add one some day, but with my speakers - the Klipsch RF-62 II's, I won't get much if any benefit. I plan to add the amp for future speaker purchases that may require more power. If you decide you need an amp, check out Emotiva. The XPA-3 or XPA-5 would work great with your setup, and they are relatively inexpensive for the amount of power they provide.

My Polk LSi9's are 4 ohm speakers and known to require a lot of power. But again, with a sub doing the bass duties, I assumed this receiver could handle them from 80hz-up. However, I am reading if you put the receiver on 4ohm mode, it basically cuts the power in half. Also read that ALL speakers need to be the same ohm level and my backs I think are 8ohm speakers (Polk Monitor 70's) This is frustrating.

As far as amps go, I already have a Sherbourn 5x200 amp (85lbs tank) and a Parasound 2x200 amp but I was planning on selling them! This is frustrating if i can't even use the receivers amps...like a waste of money.

My listening levels are not that high, I don't ever crank it really. Fairly loud but not wall shaking loud. Maybe I will be ok, not sure.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

post #8742 of 10066 Old 12-28-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwvv View Post

Yes, I updated fw 2 months ago and a similar error message appeared. This happens in the last phase of update.

Update finished with this error message (photo below). No automatic shut down, or any other message. After a few minutes, I turned AVR off and after normal start-up, video out didn't work.

No video output at all, but audio and front display panel worked. I tried to repeat the update (front panel fortunately worked), from this same USB stick with same data, and the attempt was successful.
My luck, I was very angry (I updated fw 2x times before, without any problems).

That is scaring me a bit...and what is "bricking" your receiver....I can only assume it means killing it. How does that happen and is it covered under Onkyo warranty? Why can't things just work like they are supposed to, lol.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

post #8743 of 10066 Old 12-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My Polk LSi9's are 4 ohm speakers and known to require a lot of power. But again, with a sub doing the bass duties, I assumed this receiver could handle them from 80hz-up. However, I am reading if you put the receiver on 4ohm mode, it basically cuts the power in half. Also read that ALL speakers need to be the same ohm level and my backs I think are 8ohm speakers (Polk Monitor 70's) This is frustrating.

As far as amps go, I already have a Sherbourn 5x200 amp (85lbs tank) and a Parasound 2x200 amp but I was planning on selling them! This is frustrating if i can't even use the receivers amps...like a waste of money.

My listening levels are not that high, I don't ever crank it really. Fairly loud but not wall shaking loud. Maybe I will be ok, not sure.
Quote:

Here's a link to the Polk owner's thread. That will probably be your best source for information. I believe someone mentioned it earlier, but Pioneer AVR's typically do well with 4 ohm speakers.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread
migraine24-7 likes this.

fdsfds
post #8744 of 10066 Old 12-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Is the 818 compatible with the Bluetooth adapter and can it pair with Bluetooth headphones?

fdsfds
post #8745 of 10066 Old 12-28-2013, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Kbarnes

I reran my Audyyssey this afternoon and it set my XOs to 90hz which is awfully close to my 110 and 115.

I will read all that you sent my way.

I appreciate the help

Will try to pass on the knowledge some day

Cheers

Tom Riddle likes this.
post #8746 of 10066 Old 12-29-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:

... what is "bricking" your receiver....I can only assume it means killing it.

No "brick" (fortunately). Only update failed. I mean, ONKYO provides warranty on all types of update failure:

"If your A/V receiver is damaged for any of the reasons above, an Onkyo service center will repair the unit for a fee."

But, packing, sending, waiting a few weeks, .... without acceptable audio reproduction is not a very good idea.

Quote:
. How does that happen

I don't know. I checked twice data consistency on USB drive (CRC checksums with Total Commander). I always do.

post #8747 of 10066 Old 12-29-2013, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Olinski View Post

This unit has two taps on the transformer probably of equal ratio as these are cheaper. When the unit requires lower power or when the 4 ohm setting is used the unit maintains the lower voltage tap.
As I stated earlier this amp is not 4 ohm rated but this seems to be a Tx-Nr 818 Booster club and anyone who takes issue with the unit is BAD. This unit is not a good amplifier for a 4 ohm load at its rated power as it only produces about 30-40% of its spec if the 4 ohm setting is used. If you use the high voltage rail with a 4 ohm load you may be fine or if your speakers are a difficult load ie: high phase angles at low impedance frequencies and especially if these frequencies are low. also if you use separates for the fronts for example which does not drop out its dynamics cause its tired the result is a very uneven supply of current to your speakers.  I have discuses this unit with my tech and friends. Short of by-passing the relay via a hardware switch there is no means in which to keep the unit locked to it's high voltage rail, which by the way I strongly advise against doing if you drive nominal 4 ohm loads never mind 7. The best solution would be a software fix but I have yet to find one. Onkyo will be getting no christmas card from me.

Yes, this behavior regarding power states is what I also have found using the display of the unit so see the power states.

I have 8 ohm speakers and unless there’s something I’m missing I’m pretty happy with the way it functions. It saves power and runs cooler when unit is on low-medium volumes and then switches to high if it is needed (which is rarely in my case I might add).

My unit runs at 27 C in the low state (room temperature pretty much) and is in the 50’ies in the high state. I wouldn’t want my unit to be close to 60 degrees warm most of the time so its fine it saves the power. Is there any downside to this behavior?

But mostly I wonder how seemingly no1 experiences this behavior and the relay clicks it causes and instead says that the unit must be faulty for behaving like this. It seems smart to me to not have the unit run burning hot in order to procedure power that is not needed.
post #8748 of 10066 Old 12-29-2013, 05:42 AM

Liked: 12
Also has any1 found way to toggle ether Dynamic Volume or Dynamic EQ on/off via a button on a harmony one remote. (I don’t want to go into menus all the time)
My son often watches movies at very low volume (-45 or -50 db) and it sounds just horrible with the surround speakers far too loud and bass to heavy.
My best guess right now is to make a button for direct mode in order to disable all the processing and just run it in stereo.
post #8749 of 10066 Old 12-29-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingmain View Post

Quote:

Kbarnes

I reran my Audyyssey this afternoon and it set my XOs to 90hz which is awfully close to my 110 and 115.

I will read all that you sent my way.

I appreciate the help

Will try to pass on the knowledge some day

Cheers

You are very welcome. Enjoy!

post #8750 of 10066 Old 12-29-2013, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 44
Does anyone have the procedures to access the hidden menu options like temperature, Deep Color, processor and so on?

I searched with Google and found some for older Onk's but they seem to change and be somewhat model specific in the procedures and what buttons to push.

It would be nice to have them all listed in one place rather than to have to search for them individually.
post #8751 of 10066 Old 12-29-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budtz View Post

Yes, this behavior regarding power states is what I also have found using the display of the unit so see the power states.

I have 8 ohm speakers and unless there’s something I’m missing I’m pretty happy with the way it functions. It saves power and runs cooler when unit is on low-medium volumes and then switches to high if it is needed (which is rarely in my case I might add).

My unit runs at 27 C in the low state (room temperature pretty much) and is in the 50’ies in the high state. I wouldn’t want my unit to be close to 60 degrees warm most of the time so its fine it saves the power. Is there any downside to this behavior?

But mostly I wonder how seemingly no1 experiences this behavior and the relay clicks it causes and instead says that the unit must be faulty for behaving like this. It seems smart to me to not have the unit run burning hot in order to procedure power that is not needed.

I have been happy with most of the units capabilities. The downside for my situation is I find a massive loss of dynamic range at low power my unit usually  has to be set to -10 db for high power to stay on and this is much to loud for many recordings as my separates don't read the onkyo's mind they don't drop out the bottom end but the onkyo does. If the unit switched to high power at -20 or -25db it would be spectacular that is the point at which I find it necessary for the dynamic range to be at full power. As it stand's I have to go and get a mono amp for my center to match my left and right channels as the 818 is not acceptable. If this unit had the option of being user configurable for high and low power that would be even better. I would set it at -25db or on the display when the voltage reads anything above <0 and would never have to worry about it. I'm researching looking to have a hardware switch installed but more than likely I will sell it and pick up the new Emotiva Pre and drive proper amplifiers. This will be the first piece of audio equipment I have ever sold before its warranty ended if that means anything.

post #8752 of 10066 Old 12-29-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Does anyone have the procedures to access the hidden menu options like temperature, Deep Color, processor and so on?

I searched with Google and found some for older Onk's but they seem to change and be somewhat model specific in the procedures and what buttons to push.

It would be nice to have them all listed in one place rather than to have to search for them individually.

Some of them are on the http://www.avsforum.com/t/935808/the-official-onkyo-tx-sr705-thread-faq-in-1st-post but that is the most I have been able to find be careful a couple of them send channel test that could and most likely will damage you speakers

post #8753 of 10066 Old 12-29-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:

I have been happy with most of the units capabilities. The downside for my situation is I find a massive loss of dynamic range at low power my unit usually  has to be set to -10 db for high power to stay on and this is much to loud for many recordings as my separates don't read the onkyo's mind they don't drop out the bottom end but the onkyo does. If the unit switched to high power at -20 or -25db it would be spectacular that is the point at which I find it necessary for the dynamic range to be at full power. As it stand's I have to go and get a mono amp for my center to match my left and right channels as the 818 is not acceptable. If this unit had the option of being user configurable for high and low power that would be even better. I would set it at -25db or on the display when the voltage reads anything above <0 and would never have to worry about it. I'm researching looking to have a hardware switch installed but more than likely I will sell it and pick up the new Emotiva Pre and drive proper amplifiers. This will be the first piece of audio equipment I have ever sold before its warranty ended if that means anything.

I'm a bit confused with this. Are you saying the unit switches between high and low power even when you are using external amps?

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

post #8754 of 10066 Old 12-29-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:

I'm a bit confused with this. Are you saying the unit switches between high and low power even when you are using external amps?

I would not think it would if one where to use separates for all channels but yes it does if you use amplifiers for say the front L and R. Which means the C,RL,RR,SL,SR and so on are being reduced while the separate amp is not reduced. it would probably work fine if the high power setting or rail engaged at a lower volume. -10 db  is to loud.

post #8755 of 10066 Old 12-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Some of them are on the http://www.avsforum.com/t/935808/the-official-onkyo-tx-sr705-thread-faq-in-1st-post but that is the most I have been able to find be careful a couple of them send channel test that could and most likely will damage you speakers

Thanks Ryan,

I seen that one when searching "hidden menu items" but found other sites that had differing procedures on newer models. It seems to change from year to year.
post #8756 of 10066 Old 12-29-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwvv View Post

Quote:

No "brick" (fortunately). Only update failed. I mean, ONKYO provides warranty on all types of update failure:

"If your A/V receiver is damaged for any of the reasons above, an Onkyo service center will repair the unit for a fee."

But, packing, sending, waiting a few weeks, .... without acceptable audio reproduction is not a very good idea.

Why would they charge a fee if it's within your warranty coverage period? As if it's the users fault? And if you have to send it out to a service center, do you also have to pay shipping both ways? Shipping nowadays is very expensive!

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

post #8757 of 10066 Old 12-29-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Thanks Ryan,

I seen that one when searching "hidden menu items" but found other sites that had differing procedures on newer models. It seems to change from year to year.

If you are able to find the listings for the 818 hidden menus could you please send it my way and I will do the same. 

post #8758 of 10066 Old 12-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you are able to find the listings for the 818 hidden menus could you please send it my way and I will do the same. 

Certainly.
post #8759 of 10066 Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:

I would not think it would if one where to use separates for all channels but yes it does if you use amplifiers for say the front L and R. Which means the C,RL,RR,SL,SR and so on are being reduced while the separate amp is not reduced. it would probably work fine if the high power setting or rail engaged at a lower volume. -10 db  is to loud.

That's what I figured, so why would you sell the 818 to buy a pre/pro? If you buy a pre/pro you'll obviously need amps for all channels, why not just keep the 818 and do the same?

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

post #8760 of 10066 Old 12-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Why would they charge a fee if it's within your warranty coverage period? As if it's the users fault? And if you have to send it out to a service center, do you also have to pay shipping both ways? Shipping nowadays is very expensive!

This is from the manual concerning updates;

"Limitation of liability
The program and accompanying online documentation
are furnished to you for use at your own risk. Onkyo will
not be liable and you will have no remedy for damages
for any claim of any kind whatsoever concerning your
use of the program or the accompanying online
documentation, regardless of legal theory, and whether
arising in tort or contract. In no event will Onkyo be
liable to you or any third party for any special, indirect,
incidental, or consequential damages of any kind,
including, but not limited to, compensation,