Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassConfusion View Post

Ok here goes a new question,
For playing blurays, ps3 or xbox one? And are there any settings on the systems I should be using?

For audio, make sure your consoles are set to bitstream (receiver decodes the audio) and not PCM (the console decodes the audio). Also, a lot of the consoles default to some kind of Dynamic Range Compression to On, check this and set it to Off. For video, you have the option of setting your consoles to "Limited" (outputs RGB 16-235) and "Full" (outputs RGB 0-255). Since 16-235 is the standard for TV's, this is the correct setting for most; however, many modern TV's have the ability to output 0-255, as well. You will have to check your montior to see what its capabilities are. If you can't find it in the manual, there are some test patterns online you can download that will let you know. With all that said, my TV is capable of outputting 0-255, but I just set it to 16-235 and call it a day.

fdsfds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 9864 Old 01-02-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

Yes. But bi-amping is a waste. Don't bother. IMO Many will agree. Do some research on it before you go thru with it.
Everyone please weigh-in on this one... is bi-amping a waste of time in your opinion?

Depends. The 818 is one of the few avr's with an actual active crossover built in, but if you're talking about using this you probably wouldn't need to ask. You're likely just passive bi-amping and that is a waste of time and wire IMHO.

post #8823 of 9864 Old 01-02-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassConfusion View Post

Ok here goes a new question,
For playing blurays, ps3 or xbox one? And are there any settings on the systems I should be using?

For audio, make sure your consoles are set to bitstream (receiver decodes the audio) and not PCM (the console decodes the audio). Also, a lot of the consoles default to some kind of Dynamic Range Compression to On, check this and set it to Off. For video, you have the option of setting your consoles to "Limited" (outputs RGB 16-235) and "Full" (outputs RGB 0-255). Since 16-235 is the standard for TV's, this is the correct setting for most; however, many modern TV's have the ability to output 0-255, as well. You will have to check your montior to see what its capabilities are. If you can't find it in the manual, there are some test patterns online you can download that will let you know. With all that said, my TV is capable of outputting 0-255, but I just set it to 16-235 and call it a day.

Then again it really doesn't matter which unit decodes the compression routine if you're simply listening to it as a straight decode, and there is something to be said for having the ps3 do it as it has plenty of processing power, and let the avr concentrate on other things...then again I've used my ps3 in both bitstream and LPCM modes and various settings for each on the avr and at times it seems I prefer one over the other in some combos but without a really good way to compare, its probably not distinguishable....it's simply a matter of what you want to do, they both work fine.

post #8824 of 9864 Old 01-02-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone help me out by going into the NET of your receiver and tell me if you can pick up tune into...BANDIT ROCK 106.3 STOCKHOLM.Please use VTUNER APP .
I can no longer play this station it keeps telling me cannot play,BUT ive been listening to this station for the last yr and half.
I need my bandit fix.

post #8825 of 9864 Old 01-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Then again it really doesn't matter which unit decodes the compression routine if you're simply listening to it as a straight decode, and there is something to be said for having the ps3 do it as it has plenty of processing power, and let the avr concentrate on other things...then again I've used my ps3 in both bitstream and LPCM modes and various settings for each on the avr and at times it seems I prefer one over the other in some combos but without a really good way to compare, its probably not distinguishable....it's simply a matter of what you want to do, they both work fine.

I agree that PCM and Bitsream are indistinguishable, but I don't believe that the Audyssey settings can be used if you set the player to PCM. Can someone confirm this?

fdsfds
post #8826 of 9864 Old 01-02-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

I agree that PCM and Bitsream are indistinguishable, but I don't believe that the Audyssey settings can be used if you set the player to PCM. Can someone confirm this?

Audyssey can be used on multichannel pcm input without issue.
Tom Riddle likes this.
post #8827 of 9864 Old 01-02-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:

I know you can not acces alot of the setup menu inside of the onkyo when in mutlichannel pcm mode

post #8828 of 9864 Old 01-02-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyo View Post

I know you can not acces alot of the setup menu inside of the onkyo when in mutlichannel pcm mode

Such as?  

post #8829 of 9864 Old 01-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Audyssey can be used on multichannel pcm input without issue.

Thanks! This is good to know.

fdsfds
post #8830 of 9864 Old 01-02-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

The manual lists the various modes usable depending on input, doesn't it?

post #8831 of 9864 Old 01-02-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Such as?  
off the top of my head i know LATE NIGHT mode is not accesible(?) in multichannel mode.

post #8832 of 9864 Old 01-02-2014, 05:36 PM

Liked: 18
Thanks for delving into all these topics, I'm learning a lot. Ya know ya sh!t!
post #8833 of 9864 Old 01-02-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyo View Post

off the top of my head i know LATE NIGHT mode is not accesible(?) in multichannel mode.

That makes sense as I'm pretty sure night mode is a Dolby meta data feature and only works on Dolby sources.
post #8834 of 9864 Old 01-02-2014, 06:48 PM

Liked: 10
I have a customer with an 818,and zone 2 seems not to work, we have set it to the correct input, but get no audio. Is there a quick way to set this up? The manual is straight forward, but like i said it wont produce sound, the speakers work when tested.
post #8835 of 9864 Old 01-03-2014, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeinc View Post

I have a customer with an 818,and zone 2 seems not to work, we have set it to the correct input, but get no audio. Is there a quick way to set this up? The manual is straight forward, but like i said it wont produce sound, the speakers work when tested.

Zone 2 will only work with analog; do you have it set to an analog output?

fdsfds
post #8836 of 9864 Old 01-03-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi Everyone.

Proud owner of a new 818. Just arrived yesterday. Love it so far.
One thing that is confusing me is a problem I have/had with screen stretch.
Let me start with I do not know all the details of this unit yet so I may have done something unknowingly.
Pretty simple setup. I have a mythbox (htpc) running a nvidia 430 card. A ps3 and a Panasonic TC-P54s1 tv. Using all hdmi inputs
I hooked everything up and used it for about 2 hours without issue. Then I power cycled everything and when the screen came back up it was stretched about 1/3 to big horizontally.
I was using mythty so I switched to the ps3. Same thing, screen stretched.
Checked the tv settings and everything was as it should be. Went into the Onkyo setup and checked settings. I verified I was only using through and direct. Hmm. After triple checking everything I tried a alternate input and hdmi cable to the tv. Problem solved.
Thing is, the inputs settings on the tv are identical in every-way. I have double tripled super checked this.
The only thing it could be is either the tv or the hdmi cable right? Or does the Onkyo somehow collect some sort of info as to the input being used and change things?

I should add that during my initial setup my first thought was to use the sub video out of the onkyo to run the ps3. My reason for this was to be able to have a different picture mode on the tv for gaming.
I later discovered I could use custom picture settings on the Onkyo and went this route and do not use video sub out.

The problem still exist if I use that one hdmi input on the tv no matter what. Ideas? Has to be the tv right? Just really odd that this did not happen until the Onkyo got into the loop.
If I hook the PS3 up directly to the problem hdmi input the screen size is normal. confused.gif
post #8837 of 9864 Old 01-03-2014, 11:40 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by iitywygms View Post

Hi Everyone.

Proud owner of a new 818. Just arrived yesterday. Love it so far.
One thing that is confusing me is a problem I have/had with screen stretch.
Let me start with I do not know all the details of this unit yet so I may have done something unknowingly.
Pretty simple setup. I have a mythbox (htpc) running a nvidia 430 card. A ps3 and a Panasonic TC-P54s1 tv. Using all hdmi inputs
I hooked everything up and used it for about 2 hours without issue. Then I power cycled everything and when the screen came back up it was stretched about 1/3 to big horizontally.
I was using mythty so I switched to the ps3. Same thing, screen stretched.
Checked the tv settings and everything was as it should be. Went into the Onkyo setup and checked settings. I verified I was only using through and direct. Hmm. After triple checking everything I tried a alternate input and hdmi cable to the tv. Problem solved.
Thing is, the inputs settings on the tv are identical in every-way. I have double tripled super checked this.
The only thing it could be is either the tv or the hdmi cable right? Or does the Onkyo somehow collect some sort of info as to the input being used and change things?

I should add that during my initial setup my first thought was to use the sub video out of the onkyo to run the ps3. My reason for this was to be able to have a different picture mode on the tv for gaming.
I later discovered I could use custom picture settings on the Onkyo and went this route and do not use video sub out.

The problem still exist if I use that one hdmi input on the tv no matter what. Ideas? Has to be the tv right? Just really odd that this did not happen until the Onkyo got into the loop.
If I hook the PS3 up directly to the problem hdmi input the screen size is normal. confused.gif

Check Page 69 of the manual - Picture Adjust, if it is set to Auto based on the source it can do things differently.

It can also be accessed from Q-setup-Video-Wide Mode
post #8838 of 9864 Old 01-03-2014, 12:01 PM

Thank you for the suggestion.
I checked and it is not set to auto. Also, this does not explain why one input on the tv is fine and the other is not. (everything else being equal)
I do appreciate the feedback.
post #8839 of 9864 Old 01-03-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for the suggestion.
I checked and it is not set to auto. Also, this does not explain why one input on the tv is fine and the other is not. (everything else being equal)
I do appreciate the feedback.

Agree, if simply moving the HDMI cable to a different input on the TV fixes it then it is a TV problem.  Cycle through the different "stretch" modes on the TV and maybe it will come "unstuck".

post #8840 of 9864 Old 01-03-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Agree, if simply moving the HDMI cable to a different input on the TV fixes it then it is a TV problem. Cycle through the different "stretch" modes on the TV and maybe it will come "unstuck".

Thats the strange thing that makes no sense. The tv is "fine" if connecting the ps3, laptop, or htpc directly to any of the tv inputs. No stretch problem.
This only appears when I run through the Onkyo AND connect to hdmi 1 input. If I connect the Onkyo to any other input the stretch is gone.confused.gif

Note.
This appeared after I power cycled everything and tried using the sub video output to the tv. Everything was fine for 2 hours or so before that.
I no longer use the sub video out at all.

edited for clarity.
post #8841 of 9864 Old 01-03-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats the strange thing that makes no sense. The tv is "fine" if connecting the ps3, laptop, or htpc directly to any of the tv inputs. No stretch problem.
This only appears when I run through the Onkyo AND connect to hdmi 1 input. If I connect the Onkyo to any other input the stretch is gone.confused.gif

Note.
This appeared after I power cycled everything and tried using the sub video output from the tv. Everything was fine for 2 hours or so.
I no longer use the sub video out at all.

Very odd indeed.  

post #8842 of 9864 Old 01-03-2014, 01:22 PM

Another oddity that I see now that I did not see before. Do not think if it is related.

My htpc outputs pure audio over hdmi. No audio processing done on the htpc.
I see some of my tv shows are in dolby 5.1, but the Onkyo is processing the audio. Turning dolby 5.1 into tv logic.
How do I change the settings so the Onkyo does not do any audio conversion?
post #8843 of 9864 Old 01-03-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another oddity that I see now that I did not see before. Do not think if it is related.

My htpc outputs pure audio over hdmi. No audio processing done on the htpc.
I see some of my tv shows are in dolby 5.1, but the Onkyo is processing the audio. Turning dolby 5.1 into tv logic.
How do I change the settings so the Onkyo does not do any audio conversion?

Just toggle through the listening modes until you get to where it simply reads Dolby 5.1

post #8844 of 9864 Old 01-03-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Just toggle through the listening modes until you get to where it simply reads Dolby 5.1

Ah, Got it. I was not looking in the right spot. Thank you.

Follow up question. What is "direct" in the listening mode presets? Would that be the one I would set so the Onkyo always outputs the same as what it receives?
post #8845 of 9864 Old 01-03-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Follow up question. What is "direct" in the listening mode presets? Would that be the one I would set so the Onkyo always outputs the same as what it receives?

Direct will always output what it receives but it will not apply any Audyssey correction either.  If you go into the settings for each source there is an audio menu where you can select the audio processing used for each type of input.  I think by default they should all pretty much pass them through.

post #8846 of 9864 Old 01-03-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post

It is 3D capable. It passes through the signal from my Oppo 103D to my Samsung F8500 plasma just fine. I also haven't had any issues with it and don't find it to be overly hot when placing my hand directly on top of it.

Do you use the 818's Qdeo processing in addition to the Darbee with your 103D? I'm planning to upgrade to the 818 with the 103D and would like to avoid video processing x 2.

Dave

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's
brother's girlfriend heard from this guy
who knows this kid who's going with
the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31
Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty
serious.
post #8847 of 9864 Old 01-03-2014, 03:50 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bham Dave View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post

It is 3D capable. It passes through the signal from my Oppo 103D to my Samsung F8500 plasma just fine. I also haven't had any issues with it and don't find it to be overly hot when placing my hand directly on top of it.

Do you use the 818's Qdeo processing in addition to the Darbee with your 103D? I'm planning to upgrade to the 818 with the 103D and would like to avoid video processing x 2.

No, I do not. The 103D handles the processing. The 818 simply passes the signal through Direct picture mode.
post #8848 of 9864 Old 01-03-2014, 04:04 PM

Great. That's what I plan to do as well. I'm upgrading from the Onkyo TX-SR800. The fact that I bought it at Circuit City tells you how long I've had it!

Dave

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's
brother's girlfriend heard from this guy
who knows this kid who's going with
the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31
Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty
serious.
post #8849 of 9864 Old 01-04-2014, 03:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 1279
Quote:

Quote:

Direct mode bypasses all digital processing - including Audyssey.

post #8850 of 9864 Old 01-04-2014, 03:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 1279
Quote:

Quote:

Direct will always output what it receives but it will not apply any Audyssey correction either.  If you go into the settings for each source there is an audio menu where you can select the audio processing used for each type of input.  I think by default they should all pretty much pass them through.

I think they do too. As I have height speakers I set mine to default to PLIIz for all sources.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page