Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 298 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8911 of 9911 Old 01-16-2014, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Maybe the program is broadcast in mono as if it outputs stereo then the 818 can process this signal using PLII or DTS Neo to give a 5.1/7.1 output. If your box has an optical/coax output and the box supports Dolby Digital, then (depending on broadcast/channel) you may get 5.1 on some content. I'm UK based so may be a little different, but we get stereo on most SD channels and DD in various versions (2.0/2.1/5.1) on the HD channels. My 818 either gives me PLIIx or DD + PLIIx depending on the channel/broadcast, so it might be a question for the relevant thread for your set top box rather than the 818.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8912 of 9911 Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Another question for the Onkyo 818 owners. I have the following configuration:

Onkyo 818
Vienna acoustics bach grand mains (4 ohms)
Infinity kappa 5 surrounds (will be replaced by vienna Hayden grand 4ohms shortly)
SVS sb-13 ultra sub
BIC center channel

Since I will be driving four speakers that are 4 ohm, I am starting to look at a four channel amp to add to my setup. I probably will buy used to keep the cost down. Can any of you recommend a high quality amps that would work for my setup that arent too old? I am new to the audiophile stuff and want to buy something that will last me a while. I don't go crazy playing my system loudly - just use it for movies and music. It is in a large living room. 20 x 20 x 15' high.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am looking for manufacturer and model recommendations for the amps.

Ideally budget of under $1K and under $600 even better.
post #8913 of 9911 Old 01-16-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post

Another question for the Onkyo 818 owners. I have the following configuration:

Onkyo 818
Vienna acoustics bach grand mains (4 ohms)
Infinity kappa 5 surrounds (will be replaced by vienna Hayden grand 4ohms shortly)
SVS sb-13 ultra sub
BIC center channel

Since I will be driving four speakers that are 4 ohm, I am starting to look at a four channel amp to add to my setup. I probably will buy used to keep the cost down. Can any of you recommend a high quality amps that would work for my setup that arent too old? I am new to the audiophile stuff and want to buy something that will last me a while. I don't go crazy playing my system loudly - just use it for movies and music. It is in a large living room. 20 x 20 x 15' high.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am looking for manufacturer and model recommendations for the amps.

Ideally budget of under $1K and under $600 even better.

Emotiva make good amps at good prices. Check out their website for the specs and new prices. The XPA-5 would suit your requirements. New price is currently $799 but they have Sales from time to time.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa-3

If you don't want to stretch to $799 then start the search for a good used one using the classifieds here on AVS or various auction sites etc.

I have the XPA-3 and have had it for a few years now - never given me any problems. A good, reliable amp. I also have 3 x other Emotiva amps and they are all good and have all been very reliable. All in use every day.

post #8914 of 9911 Old 01-16-2014, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. I will do some research on that model. Any others to consider that are high quality that I might find gently used?
post #8915 of 9911 Old 01-16-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassConfusion View Post

Anyone here have comcast?? I'm wondering why I can't surround sound from it, I messed with the settings on the settop box but nothing works
I have Comcrap ...I mean Comcast and this AVR and no issues. What show are you having this issue?

I know in my area every CW show comes through BLASTING my center channel so bad it sounds horrible....I guess that's adequate since most of their shows are horrible....OH NO HE DIDNT!

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #8916 of 9911 Old 01-16-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:

Anyone here have comcast?? I'm wondering why I can't surround sound from it, I messed with the settings on the settop box but nothing works

A little more information than "messed" would help....helps to relay actual information as to what you've done...

post #8917 of 9911 Old 01-17-2014, 08:18 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I bought an 818 this fall and in the past month, the audio has no sound output when I turn it on and am watching TV. I have to turn it off and on again to get sound output to my speakers. Is this a known issue or an early sign of an issue?

Thanks. Want to report it if it is am indicator of a problem.

Search through this thread but 2+ people already have this issue and most likely you'll require to bring it in for repairs to replace a faulty HDMI board.
post #8918 of 9911 Old 01-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Emotiva make good amps at good prices. Check out their website for the specs and new prices. The XPA-5 would suit your requirements. New price is currently $799 but they have Sales from time to time.

If you don't want to stretch to $799 then start the search for a good used one using the classifieds here on AVS or various auction sites etc.

I have the XPA-3 and have had it for a few years now - never given me any problems. A good, reliable amp. I also have 3 x other Emotiva amps and they are all good and have all been very reliable. All in use every day.

Wow 799 now for one...shesh I remember them being $499. They are great AMP for the buck, I use 3 as well.
post #8919 of 9911 Old 01-17-2014, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I bought an 818 this fall and in the past month, the audio has no sound output when I turn it on and am watching TV. I have to turn it off and on again to get sound output to my speakers. Is this a known issue or an early sign of an issue?

Thanks. Want to report it if it is am indicator of a problem.

Does not surprise me at all....I will never trust an Onkyo product with HDMI
post #8920 of 9911 Old 01-18-2014, 02:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Wow 799 now for one...shesh I remember them being $499. They are great AMP for the buck, I use 3 as well.

I think mine was about $499. Creeping inflation as their reputation strengthened I guess.  Still good value at 800 bucks though IMO.

post #8921 of 9911 Old 01-18-2014, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I'm experiencing an odd issue with the 818 and my Sub (PB12-NSD), every time the audio format changes - surround to stereo - in addition to the click, my sub gets a signal and sends out a slightly audible tone. This also occurs when I got through the Speaker Settings the Level Calibration menus, each time I switch speakers, it sends out the slightly audible tone. Does anyone else experience this, or might it be a defect?

fdsfds
post #8922 of 9911 Old 01-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I tried everything under the sun to stop the thump from the 818 and was unsuccessful. I bought it from Crutchfield and they were out, so I have a NR1010 on the way; had to pay some extra in difference, but they gave me a good deal.

fdsfds
post #8923 of 9911 Old 01-19-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

What is the latest firmware for the 818?

Birgir "keyser"
post #8924 of 9911 Old 01-19-2014, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks for the recommendation. I will do some research on that model. Any others to consider that are high quality that I might find gently used?

I have a HK signature 5 channel amp that gets high marks. If you find one used they are a pretty good amp which can handle difficult loads. I really like the amp and will miss it the day it dies.

Alan in Boise

103 inch AT screen with 9.x playback. IB sub woofer system. Two manifolds with 2 15s and 2 12s. Line array with 2 15s. Running main channels with Minimus 7s. Have front wide and front hight and rear surrounds. Room is perfect size for smaller speakers like the Minimus speakers. Approx. 17x13x8. Tower speakers were taking up to much room.
post #8925 of 9911 Old 01-21-2014, 07:40 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

A little more information than "messed" would help....helps to relay actual information as to what you've done...

lol, you're right, I was just wondering if it was possible to get tru surround from a cable box, I've been away which is why I've taken so long to respond

settings on box
audio output : advanced (other options: tv speakers, stereo)
compression: none (other options light, heavy)
stero output: matrix ( other options: stereo, mono)

I do have it currently being passed through on my xbox one, and my xbox one is sending uncompressed to the 818. .
When I hit the movie/tv button on the onkyo remote I only get multichannel options.

I'm running a 5.0 setup
post #8926 of 9911 Old 01-22-2014, 12:01 PM

Liked: 20
I'm very close to buying a new HT receiver, and the 818 seems like the best bet from a cost and features perspective. I will need 7.1 and really want Audyssey MultEQ XT32. I've seen lots of comments regarding HDMI issues, but can't get a sense how many people with the 818 are actually experiencing them. Onecall has a 4 year extended warranty for $45. Even adding $45 to the 818's price, I don't see any other options close to offering what the 818 does for this price. Does this make sense?

My theater: Escape from New York theater build

My Gear:
Fusion 12 Tempests (LCR)
Mach 5 UXL 18 - Sealed Subwoofer
Axiom M3v4 & M2v4 Surrounds
Onkyo TX-NR818
post #8927 of 9911 Old 01-22-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

lol, you're right, I was just wondering if it was possible to get tru surround from a cable box, I've been away which is why I've taken so long to respond

settings on box
audio output : advanced (other options: tv speakers, stereo)
compression: none (other options light, heavy)
stero output: matrix ( other options: stereo, mono)

I do have it currently being passed through on my xbox one, and my xbox one is sending uncompressed to the 818. .
When I hit the movie/tv button on the onkyo remote I only get multichannel options.

I'm running a 5.0 setup

What cable box make/model? Usually there's an audio menu selection of 2 ch or Dolby/5.1 but depends on your box and your service level....if your audio output info above is complete it doesn't seem you have the 5.1 option and only mono or 2 ch....

post #8928 of 9911 Old 01-22-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderm0n View Post

I'm very close to buying a new HT receiver, and the 818 seems like the best bet from a cost and features perspective. I will need 7.1 and really want Audyssey MultEQ XT32. I've seen lots of comments regarding HDMI issues, but can't get a sense how many people with the 818 are actually experiencing them. Onecall has a 4 year extended warranty for $45. Even adding $45 to the 818's price, I don't see any other options close to offering what the 818 does for this price. Does this make sense?

I'm happy with mine. I did have an issue w/2 HDMI ports but re-initializing it fixed it and that happened right after I got it and haven't had any issue since. I have 7.2 and will go to 9.2 with this in my man cave. I've had it for just over a year.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #8929 of 9911 Old 01-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderm0n View Post

$45 for 4 year extended get er done!
post #8930 of 9911 Old 01-25-2014, 09:38 AM

Just took my 818 out and plugged it in and WTF?? The power cord plug freely slides in and out of the back. There is almost no resistance to hold it in there. Anyone else experience this?

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

post #8931 of 9911 Old 01-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreese View Post

Just took my 818 out and plugged it in and WTF?? The power cord plug freely slides in and out of the back. There is almost resistance to hold it in there. Anyone else experience this?

Yep me too. New cord didn't help. I cut a small piece of cardboard and used it as a shim. Works great but shouldn't have too.

GO BLUE
post #8932 of 9911 Old 01-25-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

Yep me too. New cord didn't help. I cut a small piece of cardboard and used it as a shim. Works great but shouldn't have too.

Thats absolutely ridiculous that they are shipping them out like this. Really worries me about their QC on such a simple thing like this that the blatantly screwed up on and apparently don't even care!

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

post #8933 of 9911 Old 01-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Thats absolutely ridiculous that they are shipping them out like this. Really worries me about their QC on such a simple thing like this that the blatantly screwed up on and apparently don't even care!

I hear ya. But the unit is awesome. I've owned a few Onkyos over the yrs.. And I love this one. Is it a joke that I had to do this? YES! But I can live with it.

GO BLUE
post #8934 of 9911 Old 01-25-2014, 10:27 AM

Now I just read about the 24p problem here:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R30318LD9VLISU/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?ie=UTF8&asin=B007JOO4XE&cdForum=Fx1EM00BME9E91O&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx1G1W8M7ILG4C&store=electronics#wasThisHelpful

And now I guess I have to go and find the FW fix and download and install it (Which I'll have to figure out how to do) because apparently Onkyo isn't making it available with automatic update.

Any other issues, tips or tricks I should know while hooking this up? What about the HDMI? Any particular ports I should avoid or anything like that?

EDIT: WIth the firmware updates, do I have to install each FW update that is newer then what my receiver currently has, one after the other, or do I just install the very latest FW update and that includes all the older updates?

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

post #8935 of 9911 Old 01-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Now I just read about the 24p problem here:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R30318LD9VLISU/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?ie=UTF8&asin=B007JOO4XE&cdForum=Fx1EM00BME9E91O&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx1G1W8M7ILG4C&store=electronics#wasThisHelpful

And now I guess I have to go and find the FW fix and download and install it (Which I'll have to figure out how to do) because apparently Onkyo isn't making it available with automatic update.

Any other issues, tips or tricks I should know while hooking this up? What about the HDMI? Any particular ports I should avoid or anything like that?

EDIT: WIth the firmware updates, do I have to install each FW update that is newer then what my receiver currently has, one after the other, or do I just install the very latest FW update and that includes all the older updates?

First check your firmware number and see if u need to update.

GO BLUE
post #8936 of 9911 Old 01-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

post #8937 of 9911 Old 01-25-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Had the same issue with mine. Just wrap some electrical tape around part of the cord that slides in to receiver. Just about the perfect width too. Hope this helps.
migraine24-7 likes this.
post #8938 of 9911 Old 01-25-2014, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the tips. Was just reading the Auddysey FAQ on this forum, and my goodness, it says I MUST mount the mic on a tripod or stand for proper calibration. So frustrating, I don't even have a tripod or boom stand. Damn this is annoying, lol.

Also, still trying to figure out how I see what my current firmware version is.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

post #8939 of 9911 Old 01-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the tips. Was just reading the Auddysey FAQ on this forum, and my goodness, it says I MUST mount the mic on a tripod or stand for proper calibration. So frustrating, I don't even have a tripod or boom stand. Damn this is annoying, lol.

Also, still trying to figure out how I see what my current firmware version is.

Press the Home button on the remote and select Firmware Update. Most likely, you already have the firmware that updated the frame rate issue, but there have been some updates since. I owned the 818 for a brief time - great receiver - before changing to the 1010, and I bypassed video completely by holding on the receiver Cab/Sat and Return simultaneously and then pressing Enter until it says "skip".

As for the tripod, it is the only way to go with Audyssey. Below is some links for a cheap and easy solution, available on Amazon. You will need to purchase both for it to work with the mic,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000978D58/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000978D58/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

fdsfds
post #8940 of 9911 Old 01-25-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

Press the Home button on the remote and select Firmware Update. Most likely, you already have the firmware that updated the frame rate issue, but there have been some updates since. I owned the 818 for a brief time - great receiver - before changing to the 1010, and I bypassed video completely by holding on the receiver Cab/Sat and Return simultaneously and then pressing Enter until it says "skip".

As for the tripod, it is the only way to go with Audyssey. Below is some links for a cheap and easy solution, available on Amazon. You will need to purchase both for it to work with the mic,

The Audyssey mike is more like a camera than a standard mike in terms of mounting capability (threaded mount) so you're better off getting something intended for a camera than something intended for a standard mike. Furthermore, a tripod can be much cheaper, here's one for $5.95;

http://www.adorama.com/TPAIP50.html?gclid=CMGz0rvimrwCFe5lOgod3yEAdA

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page