Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2014, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post

Got my 818 yesterday, setup was a breeze! My fw version is 1110-8103-0101-0000 so I checked Onkyo's site about avail updates & "Latest Firmware Version: 1131-1104-0201-0000." It's USB only, do I really need to install this?

I would. No bugs with 1131-1104-0201-0000 for me.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 52
thx, called Onkyo as well & asked & he said it just improves functionality so I dl into a stick & have it installing now. Just a bit intimidating after reading some of the probs other users had etc. Guess I'll know in an hour or so! biggrin.gif

"To the journey..."
Sony KDL60W630B; Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains; Polk RTi CSi A6 Center; Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600; Marantz BD7004; Dual 1218
Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:

thx, called Onkyo as well & asked & he said it just improves functionality so I dl into a stick & have it installing now. Just a bit intimidating after reading some of the probs other users had etc. Guess I'll know in an hour or so! biggrin.gif

I wouldn't worry too much. I've upgraded my AV many times with different USB flash sticks, formatted in NTFS/FAT32, had no issues.

I have a question. I have an Onkyo c7030 hooked up to my 818 via analog, which would have the better DAC?

818: TI Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-Bit
c7030: Wolfson® 192 kHz/24-Bit D/A Converter

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

Old 02-09-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Got my 818 yesterday, setup was a breeze! My fw version is 1110-8103-0101-0000 so I checked Onkyo's site about avail updates & "Latest Firmware Version: 1131-1104-0201-0000." It's USB only, do I really need to install this?

I have the same exact FW version, as it came from Crutchfield, and I was curious of the same thing. Paranoid to update and don't want to if I don't have to.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

Old 02-09-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreese View Post

I have the same exact FW version, as it came from Crutchfield, and I was curious of the same thing. Paranoid to update and don't want to if I don't have to.

Not sure if you have the firmware that fixed the 24fps bug the 818 was plagued with. Other than that I had optical issues when the output wouldn't be detected until I changed source, and back again.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

I wouldn't worry too much. I've upgraded my AV many times with different USB flash sticks, formatted in NTFS/FAT32, had no issues.

I have a question. I have an Onkyo c7030 hooked up to my 818 via analog, which would have the better DAC?

818: TI Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-Bit
c7030: Wolfson® 192 kHz/24-Bit D/A Converter

DAC are pretty much commodities these days.  Even if a measurable difference did exist, doubtful it is audible.  Time to ditch the analog cables.  :-)

Old 02-09-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

USB only updates are considered minor and only impacting a few people.  If there is a bigger problem it would be available via network.  They have had a couple other USB only updates.  

My motto for firmware is if it ain't broke don't fix it.  Unless you know you have a problem or it gives you a new feature you want I'd stick to what you have.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

DAC are pretty much commodities these days.  Even if a measurable difference did exist, doubtful it is audible.  Time to ditch the analog cables.  :-)

I can't hear any differences. The AV takes a split second to switch from Optical to Analog, and a little longer the other way round.
Quote:

USB only updates are considered minor and only impacting a few people.  If there is a bigger problem it would be available via network.  They have had a couple other USB only updates.  

My motto for firmware is if it ain't broke don't fix it.  Unless you know you have a problem or it gives you a new feature you want I'd stick to what you have.

Wasn't the 24fps bug fix firmware release USB only? I can't remember.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

Old 02-09-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Quote:

It updated just fine. I'd do it if u have a USB stick.

"To the journey..."
Sony KDL60W630B; Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains; Polk RTi CSi A6 Center; Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600; Marantz BD7004; Dual 1218
Old 02-09-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

I can't hear any differences. The AV takes a split second to switch from Optical to Analog, and a little longer the other way round.
Wasn't the 24fps bug fix firmware release USB only? I can't remember.

Jogging my memory but I think it was originally and after a couple months was rolled into the next downloadable one.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

Up to you, but I would. It will list all the changes made on the firmware instructions.

fdsfds
Old 02-09-2014, 11:40 AM

Hi guys. I've searched long and hard for an answer but no luck so calling on you. Whenever I turn on my 818 it cant find V tuner or other internet services. i have to unplug and plug in the ethernet cable to get it to work with v tuner etc. i have dhcp reservation for the IP address for it on my virgin media (UK) netgear router and it is always discoverable on the network and the onkyo android remote works just fine with it (hence the ip address dhcp reservation.)  i also tried setting a static ip on the onkyo but that didnt make any difference (and should be redundant if i have dhcp reservation on the router, right?). I've tried the shortest and longest dhcp reservation on the router and no difference. Any ideas here as it has me baffled. i suspect the router may be up to something funny but I know not what and Virgin Media support is hopeless. 

Old 02-09-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil818 View Post

Hi guys. I've searched long and hard for an answer but no luck so calling on you. Whenever I turn on my 818 it cant find V tuner or other internet services. i have to unplug and plug in the ethernet cable to get it to work with v tuner etc. i have dhcp reservation for the IP address for it on my virgin media (UK) netgear router and it is always discoverable on the network and the onkyo android remote works just fine with it (hence the ip address dhcp reservation.)  i also tried setting a static ip on the onkyo but that didnt make any difference (and should be redundant if i have dhcp reservation on the router, right?). I've tried the shortest and longest dhcp reservation on the router and no difference. Any ideas here as it has me baffled. i suspect the router may be up to something funny but I know not what and Virgin Media support is hopeless. 

The AV is plugged directly into the Super Hub? You shouldn't have to change any setting.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

Old 02-09-2014, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When watching using DSX with Dynamic EQ and Volume set to on, the volume level is significantly louder than when I watch in THX mode(with master volume knob unchanged)

I am not sure why this happens or if it is a problem

thanks in advance for any thoughts
Old 02-09-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byeloe View Post

When watching using DSX with Dynamic EQ and Volume set to on, the volume level is significantly louder than when I watch in THX mode(with master volume knob unchanged)

Are you sure DynEQ is engaged when you have THX mode on?  I don't recall the default setting since THX has their version of DynEQ called Loudness Plus.  So just make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Note also that THX mode will use the Audyssey Flat curve rather than the Reference curve, and then apply THX Re-EQ but you can toggle that on/off.

And THX does their own thing with the surrounds with de-correlation and a unique response curve that I found makes them lower in level, or they will at least seem very much that way.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Are you sure DynEQ is engaged when you have THX mode on?  I don't recall the default setting since THX has their version of DynEQ called Loudness Plus.  So just make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Note also that THX mode will use the Audyssey Flat curve rather than the Reference curve, and then apply THX Re-EQ but you can toggle that on/off.

And THX does their own thing with the surrounds with de-correlation and a unique response curve that I found makes them lower in level, or they will at least seem very much that way.
I believe that Dynamic volume turns off automatically when in THX mode. I will compare again with dynamic volume off(or loudness plus on)

I wasn't aware of the Flat curve issue. So doesn't seem like there is a problem just different settings?
Old 02-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Dynamic Volume and EQ are forms of dynamic compression, that work in different ways to give better sound and surround quality at lower listening levels. Dynamic Volume is your culprit for the loudness difference between the two modes, and this is normal. You can use Dynamic EQ without engaging Dynamic Volume, but the reverse is not true. I use Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume (light) for TV sources, but find no use for it when watching Blu-rays. This is because I like to watch Blu's closer to reference volume, but like to watch TV at lower levels. For more detailed info, visit the Audyssey page at: http://www.audyssey.com. Oh, THX mode has a a feature called Loudness Plus that works sort of like Dynamic EQ, but not as well - in my opinion.

fdsfds
Old 02-09-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe that Dynamic volume turns off automatically when in THX mode. I will compare again with dynamic volume off(or loudness plus on)

I wasn't aware of the Flat curve issue. So doesn't seem like there is a problem just different settings?

I'm talking about Dynamic EQ and not Dynamic Volume, but yes, check both to be sure you are getting apples to apples comparison.

Right not a problem just different....Audyssey Reference with its rolloff vs Audyssey Flat with THX Re-EQ rolloff

Old 02-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, thanks guys. Ordered the mic stand and attachment last night and will be re-running Audyysey soon. Also now have the 818 powering all my speakers which is 3 4ohm LSi9's (They require a lot of juice) and 2 Polk Monitor 70's all crossed over at 80hz (Have a powered sub) and so far it's powering everything just fine at the volumes I listen at. One thing I notice with this receiver though, is I have to turn it up a lot % wise to get decent volume. Like when watching TV for example I have to have it at like 50% plus just so I can hear at normal TV volume levels.

Yes, this normal. Remember that Audyssey set your receiver for reference, which is "0" or "85" depending on how you have the volume set. That doesn't mean that you have to listen at those levels, it just assumes you will get close. I listen around -11 for Blu's and around -30 for TV. I do have Dynamic EQ and Volume on when I watch TV, not on blu, so my TV volume level is equivalent to around -18.

fdsfds
Old 02-09-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

As MadMyers states, most discs default to the best codec, but this is not always the case. Just make sure that when the disc starts to play the main feature, check the 818 to make sure it is outputting the preferred codec. If not, go into the disc menu and change it - it's under languages on most discs.

Guys, I am watching the movie "After Earth" which is DTS-MA, Now the disc says it is playing DTS-MA English, but my receiver is only saying "DTS" does this mean it is still playing the DTS-MA, or just plain old DTS??

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

Old 02-09-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guys, I am watching the movie "After Earth" which is DTS-MA, Now the disc says it is playing DTS-MA English, but my receiver is only saying "DTS" does this mean it is still playing the DTS-MA, or just plain old DTS??

Then you are only getting DTS. Double check your player settings. Assuming you are using HD I and no other audio connection between player and receiver.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:

Hi kbreese, set the BD player HDMI Audio to output Bitstream and also Secondary Audio to Off.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:

The AV doesn't lie smile.gif As the guy above me said confirm that bitstream is enabled.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

Old 02-10-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi kbreese, set the BD player HDMI Audio to output Bitstream and also Secondary Audio to Off.

Ok so I am a bit confused. So I have to set the BR player to output bitstream (Which I have to figure out how to do) and this basically will bypass the blu-ray players processing, correct? At that point I am telling my 818 to handle the duties of the surround processing of whatever particular Blu ray disc I am playing. Now, how does the receiver recognize the bit stream coming at it and set it to the best setting the disc offers? Or, again, will I have to manually set the receiver to best surround setting the disc offers, for each disc I play?

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

Old 02-11-2014, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quick question for everyone! I just purchased and began setup on my 818 today and wanted to confirm something with you guys. I am running 8 ohm speakers but in the 818 menu they are listed as 6 ohm. I checked the manual and it says 6-16 ohm set it to 6 ohm. Am I good? Even though it says 6 ohm does it automatically recognize the speakers impedance and have it set to 8 ohm "behind the scenes?" Thanks a bunch!

AVR Onkyo 818
Fronts Klipsch RF-62II's
Center Klipsch RC-62II
Sides Onkyo SKR-980's
Sub SVS PB 2000
Blu-Ray Sony Ps3 Screen Samsung UN46D8000
Old 02-11-2014, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Ok so I am a bit confused. So I have to set the BR player to output bitstream (Which I have to figure out how to do) and this basically will bypass the blu-ray players processing, correct? At that point I am telling my 818 to handle the duties of the surround processing of whatever particular Blu ray disc I am playing. Now, how does the receiver recognize the bit stream coming at it and set it to the best setting the disc offers? Or, again, will I have to manually set the receiver to best surround setting the disc offers, for each disc I play?

On my Panasonic BR player you have to also set the Secondary Audio to off, otherwise it will down convert the bit stream from DTS-HD or DD TrueHD to regular DTS and DD. Not sure what BR player you have, but my guess is one of your BR setting is wrong. The receiver will automatically detect the correct format if your player outputs it.

For my BR player...

BD-Video Secondary Audio
Select whether or not to mix the primary and
secondary audio (including the button click
sound).
If “Off” is selected, the unit outputs the primary
audio only.
kbreese likes this.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niroe64 View Post

Quick question for everyone! I just purchased and began setup on my 818 today and wanted to confirm something with you guys. I am running 8 ohm speakers but in the 818 menu they are listed as 6 ohm. I checked the manual and it says 6-16 ohm set it to 6 ohm. Am I good? Even though it says 6 ohm does it automatically recognize the speakers impedance and have it set to 8 ohm "behind the scenes?" Thanks a bunch!

I think the protection cut offs are modified by this setting but nothing electrically to the speakers. The correct setting is 6 Ohm for 6 or above. The receiver doesn't detect the impedance but should shut down on a dead short... hopefully.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-9790255-47.html

"The real world impedance concern comes when using 4 ohm speakers with low power A/V receivers, but even then ONLY when the buyer expects to play the system at high volume. You see, low impedance, 4 ohm or less rated speakers, demand more power than 8 ohm speakers when playing LOUDLY, and that's when the receiver's power might come up short. In a typical "mismatch" scenario the receiver's protection circuit would trip, and shut the receiver off."
Old 02-11-2014, 09:12 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

aahhh I don't really run blurays anymore but here what I understand it as.

If your receiver is playing the DTS track, i believe it's set properly to play the DTS-MA version as well if available.

The receiver reads the information being sent to it in the stream from the BR player. There's not a lot of options from the BR player as any given disc will be DD-TrueHD or DTS-MA and it's normal DD or DTS core track. Almost all discs default to the HD track... and then some players can often override that default and select other audio tracks on the disc if you change it's options. I think older players and early discs sometimes had SD audio defaults... but in general your usually good to go these days without configurations.

If it's never sending HD audio to your receiver regardless of disc, it's your BR player options. If it's hit and miss, you could likely go into the disc options and select the HD audio track... I remember the first Transformers and Batman requiring me to do that. I believe in this "After Earth" case if the disc was set to HD audio, and your receiver is getting SD audio, your player is the problem.

Your receiver will know and play the proper format unless you force it into pcm or stereo or something like that.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:

Now, how does the receiver recognize the bit stream coming at it and set it to the best setting the disc offers? Or, again, will I have to manually set the receiver to best surround setting the disc offers, for each disc I play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post

The receiver will automatically detect the correct format if your player outputs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtank View Post

If your receiver is playing the DTS track, i believe it's set properly to play the DTS-MA version as well if available.
Your receiver will know and play the proper format unless you force it into pcm or stereo or something like that.

Also on the receiver you may want to set the input source (bluray player) "Listening Mode Preset" menu #5 to "Straight" decode for "Dolby D/Dolby D Plus/TrueHD" and "DTS/DTS-ES/DTS-HD".
Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a question regarding the Onkyo 818. I have been following this thread from almost day one and I don't think it has come up. Is it possible to use the 12 volt trigger for zone 2 or zone 3 in the Onkyo to turn on a power amp in Zone 1. I have a parasound HCA 1000 that has the trigger that I would like to use for the front speakers. Sorry, if I missed this discussion elsewhere in the thread. Thanks.

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey