Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 310 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9271 of 10022 Old 03-06-2014, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Thought I'd post this in case anybody else has an issue with their 818 like I did with tv programming & the sub thump when listening mode changes. With the replacement 818, the thump is still there, just not as bad, so I bought new hdmi ferrite core cables & while that improved the pq & channel switching, still some thump. I have Dish Network so went into the audio setup & turned off volume levelling & no more thump! Wish I'd thought of that before I sent the other unit back lol. So I guess, the issue has something to do with the way the 722k from Dish processes the volume control. Only downside to that now is that SD channels are much louder now than HD lol. I'm just guessing that is the fix, only time will tell. Kinda odd is all I know not to mention confusing! eek.gif

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9272 of 10022 Old 03-06-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post

You've got to love the audiophile forums where folks bash your choices versus answer the question you posted. Thanks to the folks who answered my original question.

That's not really fair, if you don't know how to connect the gear it's safe to assume you don't know if you need it.... also it's not much of an audiophile forum if people don't offer opinions on where you will get better sound for your money.

It's just information, nothing to get upset about.

post #9273 of 10022 Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I never use volume leveling but tried to see if I could replicate this. I could not but I have the Hopper instead of 722.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post

Thought I'd post this in case anybody else has an issue with their 818 like I did with tv programming & the sub thump when listening mode changes. With the replacement 818, the thump is still there, just not as bad, so I bought new hdmi ferrite core cables & while that improved the pq & channel switching, still some thump. I have Dish Network so went into the audio setup & turned off volume levelling & no more thump! Wish I'd thought of that before I sent the other unit back lol. So I guess, the issue has something to do with the way the 722k from Dish processes the volume control. Only downside to that now is that SD channels are much louder now than HD lol. I'm just guessing that is the fix, only time will tell. Kinda odd is all I know not to mention confusing! eek.gif
post #9274 of 10022 Old 03-06-2014, 07:34 AM

thx for trying, don't use volume control on the avr, but did on the 722 cuz of the loud commercials etc

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #9275 of 10022 Old 03-06-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtank View Post

That's not really fair, if you don't know how to connect the gear it's safe to assume you don't know if you need it.... also it's not much of an audiophile forum if people don't offer opinions on where you will get better sound for your money.

It's just information, nothing to get upset about.

Fishtank- that's not how it came across to me.

I bought something and asked for advice on how to configure it with my 818. Instead of helping, I get a post telling me I am wasting my time and money. Then another post to that effect. If you just bought something, is that what you'd like to hear?

What's the old adage - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all?

I wasn't going to respond but decided to do so after the second post in the hopes that people would think twice before they render opinions versus answering the OP's request for assistance.

'Nuff said.
post #9276 of 10022 Old 03-06-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Fishtank- that's not how it came across to me.

I bought something and asked for advice on how to configure it with my 818. Instead of helping, I get a post telling me I am wasting my time and money. Then another post to that effect. If you just bought something, is that what you'd like to hear?

What's the old adage - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all?

I wasn't going to respond but decided to do so after the second post in the hopes that people would think twice before they render opinions versus answering the OP's request for assistance.

'Nuff said.

Tact is subjective. Nothing mean was said, It was all simply information... you just took it personally. Also It's a public forum... Just because you ask the question doesn't mean you own the answers. If people have to read your questions I think it's fair they get to read any relevant opinions... even if you didn't like them.

I don't want to argue, I actually want everyone to enjoy anything they buy smile.gif

post #9277 of 10022 Old 03-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

... so I bought new hdmi ferrite core cables & while that improved the pq & channel switching

Hmmm...

It's doubtful your pq improved unless you had sparkles or periodic image drops, IMHO.

I'm sorry you were hearing a thump. Good it's fixed by adjusting your source.
post #9278 of 10022 Old 03-06-2014, 12:01 PM

Imagine it's more the 818 that improved pq than the cables, nonetheless, does look a bit sharper to mine eyes, even tho I had the tv pro calibrated 2 years ago; or not. tongue.gif Posted my issue with the 722k on the Dish support forum & also the Dish forum at highdefforum hoping somebody will have a clue what's up with the pvr since it didn't do the thump with the 180. Inquiring minds wanna know LOL.

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #9279 of 10022 Old 03-06-2014, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am streaming my iPhone music to the front usb using the Onkyo bluetooth adaptor.  I can't get the music to sound very good.  It seriously lacks bass unless I crank up the gain on my sub.  

Can anyone make a recommendation on what audio mode would be the best or if there is some other reason for the lack of good bass.  Watching movies the sub (PSA XV15) shakes the house.

post #9280 of 10022 Old 03-06-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcity View Post

I am streaming my iPhone music to the front usb using the Onkyo bluetooth adaptor.  I can't get the music to sound very good.  It seriously lacks bass unless I crank up the gain on my sub.  

Can anyone make a recommendation on what audio mode would be the best or if there is some other reason for the lack of good bass.  Watching movies the sub (PSA XV15) shakes the house.

Have you tried "Pure Audio" you will lose the sub.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #9281 of 10022 Old 03-06-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

What surround mode are you using? What are the crossover settings for your front speakers?
Quote:

post #9282 of 10022 Old 03-06-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Do you have Music Optimizer on? My bass is noticeably louder with it on while playing music through my iphone.

AVR Onkyo 818
Fronts Klipsch RF-62II's
Center Klipsch RC-62II
Sides Onkyo SKR-980's
Sub SVS PB 2000
Blu-Ray Sony Ps3
Xbox One
Samsung UN46D8000
post #9283 of 10022 Old 03-09-2014, 07:34 AM

Under the setup menu, speaker setup, then equalizer settings, you can set those manually or off. How do you set the eq manually? Do you need a meter or something to test for sound level? In my Trans Am, all you do is move a slider up or down & I assume the principle is the same here with the + & - dB but how do know the right levels etc? I've never had this kind of eq before so just kinda wondering. Thx biggrin.gif

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #9284 of 10022 Old 03-09-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Under the setup menu, speaker setup, then equalizer settings, you can set those manually or off. How do you set the eq manually? Do you need a meter or something to test for sound level? In my Trans Am, all you do is move a slider up or down & I assume the principle is the same here with the + & - dB but how do know the right levels etc? I've never had this kind of eq before so just kinda wondering. Thx biggrin.gif

Use the same meter you use in the Trans Am. It has two mics, one on each side of your head.

post #9285 of 10022 Old 03-09-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I could use some feedback on these settings AFTER running Audyssey using all 8 positions.

I do NOT have a sub in my set up consisting of Rti A7 (fronts), Csi A6(center) and Fxi A6 (Surrounds).
I know that with a sub the norm is to set all your speakers to Small and cross them at 80 hz.

After running Audyssey i just did a quick check of the following:

Speaker Configuraton
Sub -->NO
Front --> Full Band
Center --> 40 hz
Surround -->120hz

Distance for the Fronts and center speaker are all at 7.5 ft

Level Calibration
Left --> -1.5 db
Center --> 3.0db
Right --> + 1.5db

Regarding the Speaker Configuration, should i leave the cross over settings as they are or should i tweak them to 80 hz even with out a sub while the Fronts are set to Full Band.

Secondly, regarding the Level Calibration , should the db settings not be identical for all 3 or at a minimum the same for both front speakers.
I am confused about how the 2 front speakers can have different db settings even though they have an identical distance setting from the primary listening position.

Thanks for any input

Receiver: Denon AVR-4520CISpeakers:Fronts: Polk Rti A7 /Center: Polk csiA6 /Surrounds: Polk Fxi A6SUB: Rythmik LV12R X2Source: Pioneer BDP62FDDisplay:Panasonic TC P50S60[/SIZE]
post #9286 of 10022 Old 03-09-2014, 07:42 PM

No takers.

I'll give the Audyssey thread a shot.

Receiver: Denon AVR-4520CISpeakers:Fronts: Polk Rti A7 /Center: Polk csiA6 /Surrounds: Polk Fxi A6SUB: Rythmik LV12R X2Source: Pioneer BDP62FDDisplay:Panasonic TC P50S60[/SIZE]
post #9287 of 10022 Old 03-09-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Probably the Audyssey threads would be a better place for the discussion, and waiting only 5 hours isn't a lot in a forum, but.....level setting depends on your speakers as well as placement (overall in your room, not just distance, perhaps affected by reflections, corner positioning, that sort of thing). As to crossover it's really your preference although generally better with Audyssey to only raise a crossover level rather than lower one.

post #9288 of 10022 Old 03-09-2014, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the feedback

post #9289 of 10022 Old 03-09-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:

Adding a better DAC and pre for music listening.

What?
You're sending an analog signal from the 818, not digital.

post #9290 of 10022 Old 03-10-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimDub13 View Post

I could use some feedback on these settings AFTER running Audyssey using all 8 positions.

Regarding the Speaker Configuration, should i leave the cross over settings as they are or should i tweak them to 80 hz even with out a sub while the Fronts are set to Full Band.

Secondly, regarding the Level Calibration , should the db settings not be identical for all 3 or at a minimum the same for both front speakers.
I am confused about how the 2 front speakers can have different db settings even though they have an identical distance setting from the primary listening position.

Thanks for any input

You should leave the crossover settings as is, or you will have no content below 80hz.

As for the DB levels, it's why Audyssey gets used... to match the level's to your room conditions. It does a lot more than match DB levels of course but that would part of it. I would guess your setup leave's one tower closer to a corner/wall than the other...but it could even just be a bad reading I guess.

post #9291 of 10022 Old 03-10-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtank View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimDub13 View Post

Thanks for any input

You should leave the crossover settings as is, or you will have no content below 80hz.

As for the DB levels, it's why Audyssey gets used... to match the level's to your room conditions. It does a lot more than match DB levels of course but that would part of it. I would guess your setup leave's one tower closer to a corner/wall than the other...but it could even just be a bad reading I guess.

Thanks for the help.

I think i will leave well alone for now until some one with an identical setup suggests otherwise.

post #9292 of 10022 Old 03-10-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Looking at one of these on website for $679

It shows that it is "Walnut" under color.
I'm assuming this is a misprint but just checking if anyone knows if there is such a thing?
Is everyone fairly happy with this model?
I currently have the 606 and have liked it.
Just looking to upgrade.
post #9293 of 10022 Old 03-10-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post

Looking at one of these on website for $679

It shows that it is "Walnut" under color.
I'm assuming this is a misprint but just checking if anyone knows if there is such a thing?
Is everyone fairly happy with this model?
I currently have the 606 and have liked it.
Just looking to upgrade.

818 comes in black or silver.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #9294 of 10022 Old 03-10-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My 818 has started to have a no sound when turned on. When I turn it back off and then on and sometimes it comes on. Is this an HDMI issue.
post #9295 of 10022 Old 03-10-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T100 View Post

My 818 has started to have a no sound when turned on. When I turn it back off and then on and sometimes it comes on. Is this an HDMI issue.

Could be.  Next time try unplugging the cable and replugging in rather than power cycle and see if they does it.  Or cycle power to the display.

post #9296 of 10022 Old 03-10-2014, 02:50 PM

I'm confused. What are you crossing over to if you have no sub? Isn't the point of crossover to determine when the sub takes over or are you crossing over to your fronts?
post #9297 of 10022 Old 03-10-2014, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

818 comes in black or silver.

The silver is only in Europe correct?

AVR Onkyo 818
Fronts Klipsch RF-62II's
Center Klipsch RC-62II
Sides Onkyo SKR-980's
Sub SVS PB 2000
Blu-Ray Sony Ps3
Xbox One
Samsung UN46D8000
post #9298 of 10022 Old 03-10-2014, 07:18 PM

Has anyone added a 2 channel 5010 (or m-282 old model) amp to make their 818 a 9 channel amp? If you have do you notice a difference? Is it worth the cost of the extra amp and two more speakers?
post #9299 of 10022 Old 03-11-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolegib View Post

Has anyone added a 2 channel 5010 (or m-282 old model) amp to make their 818 a 9 channel amp? If you have do you notice a difference? Is it worth the cost of the extra amp and two more speakers?

It is better to use the amp for your existing front main L/R speakers, this way you get the most out of the amp. and lower the power duty on the AVR. The leftover channels could go on as heights, wides or whatever have u.
post #9300 of 10022 Old 03-11-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolegib View Post

yes, I personally love the H and W channels however your mileage will vary depending on your room dimensions, I just run my Wide channels on an old 300w carver and assigned the H channel to the back surround amps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YDR05 View Post

It is better to use the amp for your existing front main L/R speakers, this way you get the most out of the amp. and lower the power duty on the AVR. The leftover channels could go on as heights, wides or whatever have u.

True but the 818 doesn't give you full control over the assignable amps. You can basically only assign surrounds into width or height channels if I remember right. If you want to use 9 channels, you will HAVE to amp either back surrounds OR height OR wide channels. If you power your main L/R on a separate you're still going to need another amp for 9.2

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page