post #9361 of 9858 Old 03-24-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Well it looks like I jinxed myself. My 818 has started to exhibit the previously described issue of "no audio" on HDMI sources. I will boot the AVR up to an input assigned HDMI and instead of audio I will get picture only. Display shows "All Ch Stereo". This has happened a few times in the past, most noticeably I saw it do this a few times after I replaced my PS3 with a PS4. Unfortunately it appears that it is now doing it on a variety of inputs. Usually powering it completely down and starting it up again will clear it, but not always. Today for example I turned it on and powering it off and on a few times it's still not working.

Weirder yet, my wife observed last night that when it did this she was hearing very faint audio out of the speakers. I started turning the volume up and about 5-10 seconds later audio all of a sudden came on.

Looks like I'm going to have to contact Onkyo for a repair. What a drag. Maybe just replace with a Denon and eBay it when it gets back.

I had the same "no audio, video working fine" issue, and like you say, I need a complete power down to bring it back up. I thought it is a FW issue so I updated to the latest FW, and I hope I don't jinx myself like you do rolleyes.gif
This seems widespread enough that it is not a one off thing. I don't know about the heat, as this usually only happened during first boot, so there can't be enough heat accumulated to cause the issue. And the fact that a cold power boot can resolve can suggest either some capacitor issue or software not initialization something correctly...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 9858 Old 03-24-2014, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
I had the issue before updating to more recent FW. Now it won't always come up even after a cold boot. Sometimes I have to boot it 4-5 times before I get audio so it will probably go out completely sometime soon.
post #9363 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I had the issue before updating to more recent FW. Now it won't always come up even after a cold boot. Sometimes I have to boot it 4-5 times before I get audio so it will probably go out completely sometime soon.

I thought that Onkyo might have finally fixed this problem with the 818 series and beyond, but it seems that the old 2 years and busted life cycle continues.

With Onkyo opting to dump Audyssey, I can't see any reason to recommend or buy another product from them and I have 3 of their AVR's of recent vintage, but I'll look to Denon next time.

Sorry to all those with the problems.
post #9364 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

I thought that Onkyo might have finally fixed this problem with the 818 series and beyond, but it seems that the old 2 years and busted life cycle continues.

With Onkyo opting to dump Audyssey, I can't see any reason to recommend or buy another product from them and I have 3 of their AVR's of recent vintage, but I'll look to Denon next time.

Ya, it's definitely busted and I'm not too thrilled with the prospect of sending it off and going without an AVR for 3-4 weeks.

I'll see if I can get it to limp along until the 2014 Denon models are out and possibly replace it with the X4000 replacement for the new model year which should have HDMI 2.0.
post #9365 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

They're dumping Auddyssey in favor of their proprietary AccuEQ even on the high-end models? Why?

"You can observe a lot just by watchin'." - Yogi Berra

2014 HTPC/Gaming Rig:http://www.avsforum.com/t/1515381/new-htpc-gaming-rig

post #9366 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

They're dumping Auddyssey in favor of their proprietary AccuEQ even on the high-end models? Why?

The why would be easy.

They pay Audyssey $$ per every AVR sold. Doing it in house saves them a ton of cash. The real question is how good is what Onkyo has come up with compared to the "real" thing.
post #9367 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:

The why would be easy.

They pay Audyssey $$ per every AVR sold. Doing it in house saves them a ton of cash. The real question is how good is what Onkyo has come up with compared to the "real" thing.

Indeed, that's why I asked. It's a pretty big gamble on their part. They must be pretty confident. Looking forward to seeing the results once people here have a chance to play with it.

Then again, if they left Auddyssey on the high-end models, that would indicate they weren't all that confident. Or maybe they'd offer both until theirs was fully accepted...might be smarter, if not more costly, from a business standpoint.

post #9368 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Indeed, that's why I asked. It's a pretty big gamble on their part. They must be pretty confident. Looking forward to seeing the results once people here have a chance to play with it.

Then again, if they left Auddyssey on the high-end models, that would indicate they weren't all that confident. Or maybe they'd offer both until theirs was fully accepted...might be smarter, if not more costly, from a business standpoint.

Onkyo can definitely do room correctly and they can definitely compare their room correction to that of others and see how "close" they are.... how close they got will be validated by people who can compare multiple AVRs which is no easy thing. It also might have been deemed by Onkyo to be "good enough" to ship when they in fact know it is not as good as Audyssey.
post #9369 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Onkyo can definitely do room correctly and they can definitely compare their room correction to that of others and see how "close" they are.... how close they got will be validated by people who can compare multiple AVRs which is no easy thing. It also might have been deemed by Onkyo to be "good enough" to ship when they in fact know it is not as good as Audyssey.

That's what I'm afraid of, especially given many of the issues discussed in this thread.

post #9370 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's what I'm afraid of, especially given many of the issues discussed in this thread.

I wouldn't be afraid, I would just vote with your wallet. Buy something that does have Audyssey as it is a proven technology worth spending a few extra bucks on. Do you really think that someone from Onkyo will be on here answering questions about how to tune their room correction or get the most out of it? Audyssey does that and there is a very rich thread with tons of details that you won't get from Onkyo... that alone should convince you to vote with your wallet and buy a product that has Audyssey.
cytoSiN likes this.
post #9371 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't be afraid, I would just vote with your wallet. Buy something that does have Audyssey as it is a proven technology worth spending a few extra bucks on. Do you really think that someone from Onkyo will be on here answering questions about how to tune their room correction or get the most out of it? Audyssey does that and there is a very rich thread with tons of details that you won't get from Onkyo... that alone should convince you to vote with your wallet and buy a product that has Audyssey.

Good point. You and I both know that it took substantial tooth pulling on the community's part to get them to release udpated firmware to fix the 24p bug, which they never actually admitted to. Then they got mad that we were sharing that firmware with others who wanted/needed it, and ignored the issue until they rolled the update into the next official firmware.

post #9372 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Good point. You and I both know that it took substantial tooth pulling on the community's part to get them to release udpated firmware to fix the 24p bug, which they never actually admitted to. Then they got mad that we were sharing that firmware with others who wanted/needed it, and ignored the issue until they rolled the update into the next official firmware.

I have gotten over that, and have been happy with my 818, but now it has started to fail. I have to decide if I'm willing to live w/out it for an extended period of time while it gets repaired or if I should just cut my losses, replace it with something else, and then sell it after repair. My wife won't like option 'b' but that's the direction I am leaning in.
post #9373 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Here's the description from Onkyo;

"Exclusive AccuEQ Room Calibration

Calibrating the sound to suit your room's acoustics is simple with AccuEQ. Once you've connected your speakers, plug-in the included mic and wait a few moments as the TX-NR636 measures things such as speaker distance, type, crossover, and output, taking into account any reflections from your walls and floor. The system is designed specifically to by-pass your front left and right speakers. The system then optimizes the frequency response of the remaining speakers so you can enjoy balanced surround sound regardless of room shape or furnishing while retaining the characteristics of your front left and right speakers for optimum enjoyment."
post #9374 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Wow. That's pretty lame. The corrections on my L/R speakers is pretty big with XT32.
post #9375 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow. That's pretty lame. The corrections on my L/R speakers is pretty big with XT32.

That's what I thought too. Here's a link to their page. They show the mic similar to the old style Audyssey 'hockey puck'.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR636&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

I can't see it as being anything close to any version of MultEQ. But I may be wrong.
post #9376 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's what I thought too. Here's a link to their page. They show the mic similar to the old style Audyssey 'hockey puck'.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR636&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

I can't see it as being anything close to any version of MultEQ. But I may be wrong.

I'm sure it's at least in the ballpark or they will get completely toasted in reviews. However, AVS isn't for people who are happy with being "in the ballpark" if they can avoid it for little added cost (going with a competitor product that's better).
post #9377 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have gotten over that, and have been happy with my 818, but now it has started to fail. I have to decide if I'm willing to live w/out it for an extended period of time while it gets repaired or if I should just cut my losses, replace it with something else, and then sell it after repair. My wife won't like option 'b' but that's the direction I am leaning in.

I like option b better too. Sorry, I am not your wife smile.gif
jmpage2 likes this.
post #9378 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

It is not just pretty lame... it sounds just as ravings of a madman. How can they "take into account any reflections from your walls and floor" and at the same time "by-pass your front left and right speakers"... confused.gif
post #9379 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorZep View Post

It is not just pretty lame... it sounds just as ravings of a madman. How can they "take into account any reflections from your walls and floor" and at the same time "by-pass your front left and right speakers"... confused.gif

I myself am also skeptical. One possible explanation is that there are patents involved that Onkyo does not want to have to pay for, so they have come up with another sound correction technique that tries to do this w/out the fronts. In any event, from the experience at my own company they usually get fairly intelligent people like physics PHD to do this sort of stuff, but that doesn't mean that the egghead knows squat about what audio is supposed to sound like when the calibration is done.
post #9380 of 9858 Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM

Liked: 16
wow no more Audyssey.... I guess no more Onkyo.

To be fair, 9 out of 10 people buying their AVR's likely have absolutely no idea what Audyssey is. Any auto-calibration is going to check a box on the option list and be good enough for the majority of their consumers. Maybe their solution is amazing... but I use Pioneers MCACC in my living room which has been around and updated for at least 5 yrs... I'm actively looking to replace it with anything that has Audyssey.

Having said that... we are a vocal bunch online... probably discuss more about these products than the other 90% put together, and they will come read our opinions and reviews.

Seems risky. Years of rampant HDMI failure's and removal of popular features isn't going to be an easy sell next year as people read about the products.

post #9381 of 9858 Old 03-26-2014, 03:27 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:

Here's the description from Onkyo;

"Exclusive AccuEQ Room Calibration

Calibrating the sound to suit your room's acoustics is simple with AccuEQ. Once you've connected your speakers, plug-in the included mic and wait a few moments as the TX-NR636 measures things such as speaker distance, type, crossover, and output, taking into account any reflections from your walls and floor. The system is designed specifically to by-pass your front left and right speakers. The system then optimizes the frequency response of the remaining speakers so you can enjoy balanced surround sound regardless of room shape or furnishing while retaining the characteristics of your front left and right speakers for optimum enjoyment."

What are they smoking...

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #9382 of 9858 Old 03-26-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
whoa....I jump in here to see onkyo is ditching audy for their own Rc, and also see some failed hdmi board issues popping up.eek.gif I guess it's goodbye Onkyo...

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #9383 of 9858 Old 03-26-2014, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

I had the same "no audio, video working fine" issue, and like you say, I need a complete power down to bring it back up. I thought it is a FW issue so I updated to the latest FW, and I hope I don't jinx myself like you do rolleyes.gif
This seems widespread enough that it is not a one off thing. I don't know about the heat, as this usually only happened during first boot, so there can't be enough heat accumulated to cause the issue. And the fact that a cold power boot can resolve can suggest either some capacitor issue or software not initialization something correctly...

One more cause of this could be something like a cold solder joint. When the device is cold it is not working, after it warms up it starts to work.
post #9384 of 9858 Old 03-26-2014, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

What are they smoking...

Religious audiophile forums I guess...
post #9385 of 9858 Old 03-26-2014, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One more cause of this could be something like a cold solder joint. When the device is cold it is not working, after it warms up it starts to work.

Since the EU outlawed lead solder some 5 years ago many electronic failures have followed. Most notoriously 'tin whiskers'.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1279227
Donat76 likes this.
post #9386 of 9858 Old 03-26-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Since the EU outlawed lead solder some 5 years ago many electronic failures have followed. Most notoriously 'tin whiskers'.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1279227

Interesting. I actually found a repair youtube video for a similar problem with the onkyo 606 that walks the owner through replacement of a series of capacitors on the HDMI board. In that case the problem is the HDMI input not coming up for a few minutes after system start. So, similar but different problem to what some of us are experiencing with 818.
post #9387 of 9858 Old 03-26-2014, 10:07 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Well it looks like I jinxed myself. My 818 has started to exhibit the previously described issue of "no audio" on HDMI sources. I will boot the AVR up to an input assigned HDMI and instead of audio I will get picture only. Display shows "All Ch Stereo". This has happened a few times in the past, most noticeably I saw it do this a few times after I replaced my PS3 with a PS4. Unfortunately it appears that it is now doing it on a variety of inputs. Usually powering it completely down and starting it up again will clear it, but not always. Today for example I turned it on and powering it off and on a few times it's still not working.

Weirder yet, my wife observed last night that when it did this she was hearing very faint audio out of the speakers. I started turning the volume up and about 5-10 seconds later audio all of a sudden came on.

Looks like I'm going to have to contact Onkyo for a repair. What a drag. Maybe just replace with a Denon and eBay it when it gets back.

Does the boot sequence make a difference at all with the "all channel stereo" issue? I've noticed that if I do not power the Onkyo on first, no matter the source, it will default to all channel stereo, regardless of how that source is configured in the settings menu. The soliution for this is to turn the tv/display off then back on. The HDMI handshake occurs and everything is back to normal.

Quote:

Has the issue your wife experienced occurred more than that one time? I have that issue occur frequently but only when using the Roku source. Just as you stated, there is audio coming from the speakers but it is extremely faint. The work around for this is to hit the setting button on the remote, go into audio and then turn Audyssey dynamic eq off. At that point, audio is back to normal volume. You can then turn dyn eq back on and the volume stays "normal."
post #9388 of 9858 Old 03-26-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting. I actually found a repair youtube video for a similar problem with the onkyo 606 that walks the owner through replacement of a series of capacitors on the HDMI board. In that case the problem is the HDMI input not coming up for a few minutes after system start. So, similar but different problem to what some of us are experiencing with 818.

This thread may interest you also.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1502197/craig-rounds-fixed-my-integra-dtr8-9-hdmi-board-thanks-for-nothing-onkyo

And the site to contact Mr. Rounds.

http://www.cir-engineering.com/index.php
post #9389 of 9858 Old 03-26-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

An you jinxed me. :-)

I got me 818 in early October. I read your post, and no lie, last night, for the 1st time ever, I lost audio when switching to my BR player. A POR restored audio, then it happened again with DirecTV.

I called my dealer, who was very well aware of the problems with the Onks, and they are taking it back in for credit against a Denon X4000. I don't have any confidence that Onkyo is repairing the units with anything but the same hardware, so I was not willing to go that route unless I had to.

Brian
post #9390 of 9858 Old 03-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

An you jinxed me. :-)

I got me 818 in early October. I read your post, and no lie, last night, for the 1st time ever, I lost audio when switching to my BR player. A POR restored audio, then it happened again with DirecTV.

I called my dealer, who was very well aware of the problems with the Onks, and they are taking it back in for credit against a Denon X4000. I don't have any confidence that Onkyo is repairing the units with anything but the same hardware, so I was not willing to go that route unless I had to.

Brian

Hi,

Have you noticed any major heat coming from the unit because after reading the complaints that have popped up lately, I went over last night after 5 hours of use and felt the top of the 818 and it was only slightly warmer than room temp. I don't normally run it very loud (around -25 for TV and -10 for Blu-ray) so I'm not really pushing it and I have it completely open for air circulation. I'm just wondering if the failure coincides with signs of extreme heat from the AVR.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page