Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 319 - AVS Forum
First ... 317  318  319 320  321  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion
MadMyers's Avatar MadMyers 11:39 AM 04-24-2014
It would be interesting for people with hdmi issue to post manufacture date .. Wonder if there is any correlation.

Have 3-4 people reported this?

Fishtank's Avatar Fishtank 01:58 PM 04-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

It would be interesting for people with hdmi issue to post manufacture date .. Wonder if there is any correlation.

Have 3-4 people reported this?

It's pretty extensive across multiple models for maybe 3 yrs now.

Often I lean towards more people report problems than people mention how well it works, however there have been a fair amount of knowledgeable users in this thread from the start that developed the problem over the year and a bit.... precautions or not.
MadMyers's Avatar MadMyers 02:11 PM 04-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtank View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

It would be interesting for people with hdmi issue to post manufacture date .. Wonder if there is any correlation.

Have 3-4 people reported this?

It's pretty extensive across multiple models for maybe 3 yrs now.

Often I lean towards more people report problems than people mention how well it works, however there have been a fair amount of knowledgeable users in this thread from the start that developed the problem over the year and a bit.... precautions or not.

Understand it has been an Onkyo problem before. I was specifically focusing on the product which is the topic of this thread (the 818) and was wondering whether there was any manufacture date correlations for 818s with this issue.
primetimeguy's Avatar primetimeguy 02:34 PM 04-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post


Understand it has been an Onkyo problem before. I was specifically focusing on the product which is the topic of this thread (the 818) and was wondering whether there was any manufacture date correlations for 818s with this issue.

I would say it does not appear as prevalent in this model year, but they also have not been out long enough.  Typical window seemed to be around 2 years to we'd start seeing more issues popping up.


siik's Avatar siik 05:06 PM 04-24-2014

Hi, friends!

 

I've found a cheap way to cool the 818... And other AVR.

 

Just type ''usb laptop cooler 17'' in ebay!

 

17 is for 17'' laptop.

 

Put it right on top of your AVR.

 

Try to find one without leds with the biggest fan available (less noise) for the less price and with a usb port. 

 

This one looks cool.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-17-One-Fan-USB-Notebook-Laptop-Cooling-Cooler-Pad-Black-/310410267957?pt=US_Laptop_Cooling_Pads&hash=item4845e4cd35

 

Now, I need to find a way to make it start/stop with the AVR!

 

:D


supercell's Avatar supercell 05:36 PM 04-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by siik View Post

Hi, friends!

I've found a cheap way to cool the 818... And other AVR.

Just type ''usb laptop cooler 17'' in ebay!

17 is for 17'' laptop.

Put it right on top of your AVR.

Try to find one without leds with the biggest fan available (less noise) for the less price and with a usb port. 

This one looks cool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-17-One-Fan-USB-Notebook-Laptop-Cooling-Cooler-Pad-Black-/310410267957?pt=US_Laptop_Cooling_Pads&hash=item4845e4cd35

Now, I need to find a way to make it start/stop with the AVR!

biggrin.gif


It's powered off the usb port? Will the 818 usb port provide enough power for that? Also, when the 818 is powered off will that shut off the usb port?
siik's Avatar siik 06:01 PM 04-24-2014
That's my questions too as I did not bought the 818 yet.
NODES's Avatar NODES 06:44 PM 04-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

I would say it does not appear as prevalent in this model year, but they also have not been out long enough.  Typical window seemed to be around 2 years to we'd start seeing more issues popping up.


seems to me from this thread a lot of the 818 are failing a lot sooner then the previous model.
MadMyers's Avatar MadMyers 07:22 PM 04-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

I would say it does not appear as prevalent in this model year, but they also have not been out long enough.  Typical window seemed to be around 2 years to we'd start seeing more issues popping up.


seems to me from this thread a lot of the 818 are failing a lot sooner then the previous model.

That's not obvious to me, but I haven't gone back and enumerated everyone that uniquely stated they have the problem. That's why I thought it would be nice to get a list of 818 manufacturer dates with the problem as it would both show how many have the issue and whether there is a cluster.
theoneofgod's Avatar theoneofgod 08:57 PM 04-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

seems to me from this thread a lot of the 818 are failing a lot sooner then the previous model.

Genserve here in the UK said themselves the Onkyo 818 isn't prone to failing like older models.
VINYLFREAK4's Avatar VINYLFREAK4 09:05 PM 04-24-2014
I bought this Antec unit on Amazon about a month ago to cool my 818. It was a Gold Box deal at that time for $35.00. It does a Great! job.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QJ4ZE2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1



FiremanFrank's Avatar FiremanFrank 09:14 PM 04-24-2014

    I am regretting buying one of these Onkyos.  I have only had my 818 for about 3 months and have had an Elan cooling fan onto of it the whole time.  It keeps it very cool but apparently that doesn't matter as it started acting up tonight.  I had to turn it off and back on as it would not recognize any speakers being hooked up.  Glad I bought an extended warranty as it looks like it won't be long now.  Onkyo sure has gone to the crapper.


VINYLFREAK4's Avatar VINYLFREAK4 09:21 PM 04-24-2014
It really seems like its Hit Or Miss with Onkyo , from what I read on these forums and others.
I had a 608 for 2 1/2 years with Zero problems and have had my 818 a little over a year , also with Zero problems.
I guess I'm just Lucky?
I only added the Antec cooler as a Belt and Suspenders move.
I guess just paranoia from reading forum posts.

zeus33's Avatar zeus33 10:33 PM 04-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by VINYLFREAK4 View Post

I bought this Antec unit on Amazon about a month ago to cool my 818. It was a Gold Box deal at that time for $35.00. It does a Great! job.


It's counterproductive to have your 818 sitting on top of your amp.
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 10:48 PM 04-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by VINYLFREAK4 View Post

It really seems like its Hit Or Miss with Onkyo , from what I read on these forums and others.
I had a 608 for 2 1/2 years with Zero problems and have had my 818 a little over a year , also with Zero problems.
I guess I'm just Lucky?
I only added the Antec cooler as a Belt and Suspenders move.
I guess just paranoia from reading forum posts.

Don't have to shout....

There are these cool things called shelves....shouldn't stack like that....
VINYLFREAK4's Avatar VINYLFREAK4 05:40 AM 04-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

It's counterproductive to have your 818 sitting on top of your amp.

Well actually, that's not the case. I checked with Sherbourn prior to stacking . They said it was fine.
The Sherbourn actually puts out very little heat. The 818 runs far hotter , but not crazy hot.
The Antec cooling unit draws heat up and out the back for both units.

VINYLFREAK4's Avatar VINYLFREAK4 05:46 AM 04-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Don't have to shout....

There are these cool things called shelves....shouldn't stack like that....

Didn't know I was shouting? Sorry

If I had shelves available I would use them. Unfortunately I don't.

I've been stacking my AV components for almost 30 years now without issue.

Some components do require extra cooling though.

jmpage2's Avatar jmpage2 07:50 AM 04-25-2014
You are shouting by posting in bold face type. It's a tad obnoxious.
VINYLFREAK4's Avatar VINYLFREAK4 08:04 AM 04-25-2014
Wow! Really sorry about that. Truly didn't know Bold meant Shouting! I just thought all Caps was shouting. I'm really not trying to be obnoxious frown.gif. Now that I know , it wont happen again.
GoldenBoy's Avatar GoldenBoy 08:26 AM 04-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

I'm having issues with my TX-NR 818 after it's been off for a while when t turn it on I get no sound if I wait a minute turn it off and back on all is well I brought it in for service as it's still under warranty they told me that the HDMI board may be going bad and eventually it will fail if not fixed so that's where I stand. I did read others in here saying they have the same issue after they updated the firmware. As soon as they check it out I'll let you all know what they find

I just started having this very same issue on the 818 last night. I power it up and I can't get any sound, just the picture going through. Cycling on and off does no good. This is in addition to an issue that has crept up with certain louder 7.1 mixes starting to cause the unit to go into protective mode and shut itself off even though I can't find any fault in the speaker wiring or speakers themselves. I think it's crapping out. frown.gif
GoldenBoy's Avatar GoldenBoy 08:53 AM 04-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chr0nos View Post

Mine just started to power-up no sound just video.

I leave it on 1-5 minutes then power cycle sound comes on.

Is this the HDMI issue or it could be something else?

EDIT: Seems like a bad cap issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

What if you power it up last after TV and all other devices? Could just be a handshake issue.

Just realized today that, not only is the sound not coming via HDMI, but it won't even reproduce any sound if I switch to one of the analogue inputs that I have the Oppo connected to. I don't think, in my case anyway, that it's a handshaking issue. rolleyes.gif Looks like it's time to junk the 818 and get something else -- maybe an X4000 or 4520ci -- I'm through with Onkyo.
primetimeguy's Avatar primetimeguy 08:59 AM 04-25-2014
Well to be fair, analog inputs have nothing to do with hdmi so sounds like you may have a different issue.
ameridian's Avatar ameridian 09:45 AM 04-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridian View Post
 

 

Preferred AVR cooler;

 

1. Fan RPM must be controlled based on AVR case temperature

2. Cooler must turn on/off in tandem with AVR

 

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/155308306/original

 

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/155308365/original

 

More images:

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/d300_avr_cool1


Added a voltmeter to track fan voltage (5V - 12V) and RPM. Fan RPM is approximately 100 times the volts reading in this particular case where I'm using 12V fans with maximum RPM of 1200. Same size three digit thermometer to follow on the right.

 

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/155308306/original

 

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/155374516/original


GoldenBoy's Avatar GoldenBoy 10:28 AM 04-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Well to be fair, analog inputs have nothing to do with hdmi so sounds like you may have a different issue.

Yeah, I know, which is why I said in my case, it has nothing to do with handshaking. I had to do hard restart, completely unplugging the unit, to get sound back at all. It seems to me like the entire soundboard could be going, which is why I suddenly started having issues with 7.1 lossless mixes as well.
NODES's Avatar NODES 06:14 PM 04-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridian View Post


Added a voltmeter to track fan voltage (5V - 12V) and RPM. Fan RPM is approximately 100 times the volts reading in this particular case where I'm using 12V fans with maximum RPM of 1200. Same size three digit thermometer to follow on the right.

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/155308306/original

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/155374516/original


any noticeable temp drops inside unit?
theoneofgod's Avatar theoneofgod 07:05 PM 04-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by VINYLFREAK4 View Post

Wow! Really sorry about that. Truly didn't know Bold meant Shouting! I just thought all Caps was shouting. I'm really not trying to be obnoxious frown.gif. Now that I know , it wont happen again.

Much better smile.gif
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 08:42 PM 04-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by VINYLFREAK4 View Post

Didn't know I was shouting? Sorry

If I had shelves available I would use them. Unfortunately I don't.

I've been stacking my AV components for almost 30 years now without issue.

Some components do require extra cooling though.

I can't even quote the bold, too obnoxious. Thanks for turning it down to normal, though.

Stacking today's Onkyo avr is not a good idea due to heat/ventilation issues, especially on top of another unit that may have significant heat output. You can be lucky but believe it can void your warranty also, especially, I suppose, if you provide pictures on the internet smile.gif.
ameridian's Avatar ameridian 09:01 AM 04-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post


any noticeable temp drops inside unit?


Oh yeah, big time. With no cooler and nothing on top the unit and just one HDMI input in use, the internal case temperature just above the HDMI board peaks at around 110F with room temp at 75F.

 

The current cooler settings I'm using drops that internal case temp to around 90F. That's an improvement of 20F with fan RPM kept less than 700. Maxing fan RPM to 1200 will drop case temp another 6F to 84F, so the cooler has the potential of reducing internal case temp above the HDMI board by 26F here.

 

All the above is with the audio section completely idle (no sound). The true potential of the cooler is expected to go beyond 26F cooling when the two fans at the front of the cooler, above the massive heat sink, are extracting heat from that area. Sine wave drive into dummy load would be the most controlled worst case scenario there and I have that scheduled for a later date.


old corps's Avatar old corps 10:38 AM 04-26-2014
I have these sitting on top of my lowly 609-it's out in the open. http://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-Dual-80mm-Cooling-Fans/dp/B002NVC1DS/ref=pd_sim_pc_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=03EGDMFH0XJA4MXDGBJN

Went from almost hot to the touch to cool, as in about the same as off!

Ed
FiremanFrank's Avatar FiremanFrank 01:38 PM 04-26-2014

    I have a fan on mine and have run it that way since new.  It is starting to have problems recognizing that there are any speakers and I have to reboot it so keeping it cool helps but I think overall the build quality of these are about like a Pinto.


Tags: Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
First ... 317  318  319 320  321  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop