Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 322 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9631 of 9932 Old 05-18-2014, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have had this TX-NR818 receiver for less than 2 years. No serious problems until yesterday. Any 480i content sent to the receiver and passed through (receiver on or off) all of a sudden will not let my Panasonic plasma HDTV stretch it to full screen. 1080p or 1080i channels no problem I would guess because they are already wide screen format.

I have checked the TV and it is set correctly to FULL mode (which stretches 4:3 content to full screen). If I bypass the receiver and go straight to the TV, it all works just like it always has, 480 4:3 content is stretched. I have tried two different DVR boxes and swapped out all the HDMI cables. If I run the HDMI cable to the TV from the SUB HDMI receiver output, the stretching function also works just fine. It only will not work from the MAIN HDMI output. I have checked the Wide Screen setting and it is set to Auto like it always has been. Oddly enough, if I choose FULL for Wide Screen setting the Onkyo will stretch the 480 content ok but it sure will not let the TV do it whereas it always has previously.

It is like the Onkyo is removing or changing some key piece of information sent to the TV via HDMI, but only from the MAIN output. Any thoughts? I am about ready to box it up and send it back before the warranty runs out based on all the HDMI problems I have seen on here.

BTW, I did upgrade to the latest firmware today.  No change. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9632 of 9932 Old 05-18-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymk1 View Post

I have had this TX-NR818 receiver for less than 2 years. No serious problems until yesterday. Any 480i content sent to the receiver and passed through (receiver on or off) all of a sudden will not let my Panasonic plasma HDTV stretch it to full screen. 1080p or 1080i channels no problem I would guess because they are already wide screen format.

I have checked the TV and it is set correctly to FULL mode (which stretches 4:3 content to full screen). If I bypass the receiver and go straight to the TV, it all works just like it always has, 480 4:3 content is stretched. I have tried two different DVR boxes and swapped out all the HDMI cables. If I run the HDMI cable to the TV from the SUB HDMI receiver output, the stretching function also works just fine. It only will not work from the MAIN HDMI output. I have checked the Wide Screen setting and it is set to Auto like it always has been. Oddly enough, if I choose FULL for Wide Screen setting the Onkyo will stretch the 480 content ok but it sure will not let the TV do it whereas it always has previously.

It is like the Onkyo is removing or changing some key piece of information sent to the TV via HDMI, but only from the MAIN output. Any thoughts? I am about ready to box it up and send it back before the warranty runs out based on all the HDMI problems I have seen on here.

BTW, I did upgrade to the latest firmware today.  No change. 

I had a similar issue yesterday in that my tv was showing all content as if in zoom/stretch mode. Even the Directv menus were zoomed in as was HD content. I called D* as I thought it was their issue and setup a service appointment. Later I thought to try the connection from D* box to tv directly and all was fine, so it pointed at the avr as the issue even though I was bypassing any video processing (I have an Onkyo HTRC370). So I reset the avr and the problem went away...

post #9633 of 9932 Old 05-18-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I had a similar issue yesterday in that my tv was showing all content as if in zoom/stretch mode. Even the Directv menus were zoomed in as was HD content. I called D* as I thought it was their issue and setup a service appointment. Later I thought to try the connection from D* box to tv directly and all was fine, so it pointed at the avr as the issue even though I was bypassing any video processing (I have an Onkyo HTRC370). So I reset the avr and the problem went away...

I did try unplugging the avr from the wall outlet and plugging back in.  Is there a more thorough reset operation?  I have had removing power fix an hdmi audio pass through problem several times.  Thanks for replying.

post #9634 of 9932 Old 05-18-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Should be in your manual or just google for it. On many Onkyos its pressing the on/standby button and pressing the vcr/dvr key on the avr simultaneously until " clear" appears on the avr panel.

post #9635 of 9932 Old 05-18-2014, 09:03 PM

Is there a way to stream music wirelessly from my phone via Google play music? I know I can buy the Bluetooth adapter and that will work but what about the WiFi adapter? I like the phone app.

I tried earlier and went to network but nothing came up under dlna even though the receiver was hard wired in and my phone was wireless to the same network.

Currently my nr727 is also hard wired and the built in Bluetooth is great. But I would like that ability with my 818 and it won't always be hardwired so I was hoping the WiFi adapter would kill two birds...... WiFi for the phone app and streaming music.

What about my sr-605? Can that accept the WiFi usb?

Also can the app turn the receiver on? I can only get it to turn it off. I assume since it is off the Ethernet isn't getting power. Didn't know if there was wake up over Ethernet.

Besides the Audessy, I think I'm liking my 727 better. But that 818 sounds fantastic in movies.

Thanks community.
post #9636 of 9932 Old 05-19-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peja16 View Post

Is there a way to stream music wirelessly from my phone via Google play music?

If you install BubbleuPnP on your Android device, you can play music in your Google Music library to your 818.

You won't be using Google Music to control playback, you'll be stuck with BubbleuPnP's UI--but it does allow access to playlists, search, etc.
post #9637 of 9932 Old 05-19-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post

If you install BubbleuPnP on your Android device, you can play music in your Google Music library to your 818.

You won't be using Google Music to control playback, you'll be stuck with BubbleuPnP's UI--but it does allow access to playlists, search, etc.

Thought you used that in conjunction with the Onkyo app?

post #9638 of 9932 Old 05-19-2014, 04:44 PM

Maybe you can, I don't know. I have only used the Onkyo app for changing speaker levels.

BubbleUPnP lets you play media to any DLNA device, and the media can be stored just about anywhere... on a different DLNA server, on your Android, on a Windows file share, on Google Music... It's pretty cool.
post #9639 of 9932 Old 05-19-2014, 05:32 PM

Liked: 12
HELP PLEASE

Hi all,

I have had my Onkyo NR818 for about two years now and in the last few months it has been having an intermittent problem with no sound coming through HDMI.

To clarify I run multiple sources all through different HDMI connections on the rear and I am getting NO SOUND from start-up. The picture is fine but get no sound whatsoever!

I have tried a factory reset multiple times and while this worked once it didn’t again the second time.

After powering the unit off and on it seems to happen again, NO SOUND but image is fine.

So far I have tried multiple HDMI cables as well as multiple sources, ie. Apple TV, WD LIVE TV, Blu-ray player etc. and still nothing!

Can anyone offer some advice? Also does anyone know the warranty period on this unit? I am in Australia and running the latest 1131-1104-0201-0000 firmware.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Dan.

post #9640 of 9932 Old 05-19-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Cool I will try out that app tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for the input!
post #9641 of 9932 Old 05-19-2014, 05:56 PM

Hi Pixil8,

You are certainly affected by the HDMI board sickness!
If you read through the thread, you will see that a number of 818 owner had to send their unit for repair after experiencing the same behavior: image ok, sound no.
Sorry for your loss, repair cost me 100 US here in Japan.
Warranty would be one year, if I recall correctly.

And, don't shout like you did (the big HELP), help is embedded in member's mind!

Kami
post #9642 of 9932 Old 05-19-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrius View Post

Hi Pixil8,

You are certainly affected by the HDMI board sickness!
If you read through the thread, you will see that a number of 818 owner had to send their unit for repair after experiencing the same behavior: image ok, sound no.
Sorry for your loss, repair cost me 100 US here in Japan.
Warranty would be one year, if I recall correctly.

And, don't shout like you did (the big HELP), help is embedded in member's mind!

Kami

Hi Kami thanks for your reply.

I thought the HDMI board issues were prior to the 818 series and were rectified, guess that's not the case?

Sorry for shouting, Godzilla text really is Godzilla like!

So is there anyway I can fix this issue myself, ie. buy a new HDMI board and install it myself?

Cheers.

post #9643 of 9932 Old 05-19-2014, 06:09 PM

I tried to find one and install it by myself, but no chance so far.

I'll post if I find a way to get one.

Kami
post #9644 of 9932 Old 05-19-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Finally updating my avr

post #9645 of 9932 Old 05-19-2014, 07:36 PM

Also further to my problem post above I noticed on closer inspection that neither of the two fans on the bottom of this unit were spinning - they also look like they've never worked as they had no dust around the blades or grill.

Has anyone else noticed this?

post #9646 of 9932 Old 05-19-2014, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixil8 View Post

Hi Kami thanks for your reply.

I thought the HDMI board issues were prior to the 818 series and were rectified, guess that's not the case?

Sorry for shouting, Godzilla text really is Godzilla like!

So is there anyway I can fix this issue myself, ie. buy a new HDMI board and install it myself?

Cheers.

Youtube addresses the problem (I know this isn't your model, but these fixes are out there, maybe even via Ebay).
I thought the giant sized HELP was pretty cool. cool.gif

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
post #9647 of 9932 Old 05-20-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Maybe you can, I don't know. I have only used the Onkyo app for changing speaker levels.

BubbleUPnP lets you play media to any DLNA device, and the media can be stored just about anywhere... on a different DLNA server, on your Android, on a Windows file share, on Google Music... It's pretty cool.

Well I tried BubbleUPNP and it worked just fine. Of course like any app now a days, you have to pay for all of the features. I also tried Cast to UPNP and it worked great as well....even let me control everything using the Google Play Music interface.

This all got me thinking, instead of buying WiFi usb adapters for each Onkyo, why not just buy a Chromecast and keep it installed in one of the many HDMI ports that will never be used. I can take it back and forth between receivers as well, or course, without the wifi, I won't be able to use the Onkyo App, but can still use the phone, tablet, etc to control volume. And with all of the apps out there now, I can stream local media from the PC as well to the Chromecast.

Thanks again for the help horseflesh!!
post #9648 of 9932 Old 05-20-2014, 07:36 AM

Chromecast is definitely an option.

I saw that BubbleUPnP had some non-free features but I can't even remember what they are right now... it seemed to work OK for my needs as the free version.

Glad you are making progress! With so much software out there, it can be hard to find the right tool for the job.
post #9649 of 9932 Old 05-20-2014, 12:59 PM

Could someone tell me where can i find the service manual for this device.

My HDMI board is a goner it seems (No sound only video, DSP1/NET shows: ????????????? and DSP2: ???????????????????).
post #9650 of 9932 Old 05-22-2014, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I've searched this thread and didn't find the answer to this question, but how do I bypass/turn off the onkyo's video processing? On my old Pioneer, it was a button on the remote to turn video processing on and off, but with Onkyo, it's not that simple, it seems. Thanks.

post #9651 of 9932 Old 05-22-2014, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post

I've searched this thread and didn't find the answer to this question, but how do I bypass/turn off the onkyo's video processing? On my old Pioneer, it was a button on the remote to turn video processing on and off, but with Onkyo, it's not that simple, it seems. Thanks.

There is no known way to disable it 100% for the main output. There is a hidden menu that claims to disable it, but from what I've read it doesn't work.

My site has info to setup the 818 to mostly not touch the video (writing from phone so easier to reference). Alternatively, use the 2nd output which doesn't have processing.
post #9652 of 9932 Old 05-22-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

Alternatively, use the 2nd output which doesn't have processing.

That output does not provide OSD, if that is a deciding factor for someone.
post #9653 of 9932 Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Quote:

Alternatively, use the 2nd output which doesn't have processing.

That output does not provide OSD, if that is a deciding factor for someone.

A little clarification. You will get volume information as well as some other on-screen displays such as the Internet tuner applications but will not get the access to the settings. Also the look of the text is very different.
post #9654 of 9932 Old 05-22-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:

There is no known way to disable it 100% for the main output. There is a hidden menu that claims to disable it, but from what I've read it doesn't work.

My site has info to setup the 818 to mostly not touch the video (writing from phone so easier to reference). Alternatively, use the 2nd output which doesn't have processing.
Thank you. I already have picture mode set to direct, but it seems like there is still some processing going on, by the look of the picture. I do not, however, have the main output resolution set to source. I will try that and see if it changes anything.

post #9655 of 9932 Old 05-24-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I was having an issue with sound not coming on after the receiver was in stand by for a few hours I would come home from work turn everything on no sound. I would turn it off then back on then the sound would be fine everything worked great. I did bring it in for service they had it for three weeks and checked it out and couldn't duplicate what I experienced so I picked it up hooked it back up now it's working flawlessly so go figure. I really love this receiver, not sure what they did to fix it but it's working great now.

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2
post #9656 of 9932 Old 05-24-2014, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

I was having an issue with sound not coming on after the receiver was in stand by for a few hours I would come home from work turn everything on no sound. I would turn it off then back on then the sound would be fine everything worked great. I did bring it in for service they had it for three weeks and checked it out and couldn't duplicate what I experienced so I picked it up hooked it back up now it's working flawlessly so go figure. I really love this receiver, not sure what they did to fix it but it's working great now.

Same story here. I talked to the shop a couple of weeks ago and they said they could not reproduce the issue. I asked them to replace the HDMI board anyways, which they are doing.
post #9657 of 9932 Old 05-24-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Same story here. I talked to the shop a couple of weeks ago and they said they could not reproduce the issue. I asked them to replace the HDMI board anyways, which they are doing.
I'm going to see what happens in the next month or so as I'm still under warranty and the service center is local so I wouldn't have to ship it for service. But this thing is working just fine now.

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #9658 of 9932 Old 05-24-2014, 09:24 PM

I picked up this unit a few days ago and so far, I'm surprised by how cool it has run, especially after reading all the reviews that say it gets unreasonably warm. So far, it runs cooler than my Pioneer with clas D3 amps

post #9659 of 9932 Old 05-24-2014, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post

I picked up this unit a few days ago and so far, I'm surprised by how cool it has run, especially after reading all the reviews that say it gets unreasonably warm. So far, it runs cooler than my Pioneer with clas D3 amps

The older models are known to run hot. The 818 runs much cooler.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #9660 of 9932 Old 05-25-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the volume that you listen to it like the louder the volume is does that increase heat in the unit.

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page