Forum Jump: 

post #9661 of 10062 Old 05-25-2014, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

Does the volume that you listen to it like the louder the volume is does that increase heat in the unit.

Yes.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9662 of 10062 Old 05-26-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post

Yes.
I keep volume at -20 To -25 as I feel that's plenty loud enough for my living room I have not taken a temperature reading but the unit feels warm not hot I'm running it 9.2 I use through for video processing so far I'm very happy. I was considering getting the 929 so I can add wides as well for 11.2 but I will most likely wait another year. I'm using 7.2 plus highs that makes it 9.2 right now.

My main setup
PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top rear. Bic Acoustech speakers, Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos top front Ceiling Speakers
post #9663 of 10062 Old 05-26-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:

I keep volume at -20 To -25 as I feel that's plenty loud enough for my living room I have not taken a temperature reading but the unit feels warm not hot I'm running it 9.2 I use through for video processing so far I'm very happy. I was considering getting the 929 so I can add wides as well for 11.2 but I will most likely wait another year. I'm using 7.2 plus highs that makes it 9.2 right now.

It's strange with mine. I run just 5.1, sometimes it can be a little too warm, and other times really cool. Like after watching a 2 hour movie it's cold to the touch, even at 60/65%. But some other time when it's just on FM radio at low volume it's hot.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

post #9664 of 10062 Old 05-26-2014, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Does the volume that you listen to it like the louder the volume is does that increase heat in the unit.

Most of the heat comes from the video processor in the rear of the unit. The amps' heat sinks are closer to the front and will produce more heat at higher volumes.

post #9665 of 10062 Old 05-27-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10

If using the zone 2 pre-outs connected to an external amplifier do you still have variable volume control with the Onkyo receiver for zone 2?

Also if you want to use an external amp for 9.2 channel playback does the receiver control the volume of two additional channels?

post #9666 of 10062 Old 05-27-2014, 03:53 PM

Can you select a different crossover frequency for you center and surround speakers? Looking at the manual it seems there is only one crossover setting that controls both the center and the surround? This seems strange to me as many people have center channel speakers which are larger than their surround speakers, and not necessarily matched with surrounds either. My center speaker for instance is generally set a 40hz while my surrounds are set a 60hz on my current receiver.

post #9667 of 10062 Old 05-27-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComponentActual View Post

Can you select a different crossover frequency for you center and surround speakers? Looking at the manual it seems there is only one crossover setting that controls both the center and the surround? This seems strange to me as many people have center channel speakers which are larger than their surround speakers, and not necessarily matched with surrounds either. My center speaker for instance is generally set a 40hz while my surrounds are set a 60hz on my current receiver.

Not sure where you are seeing that but you can set separate crossovers for fronts/mains, center, surround and back surrounds.

post #9668 of 10062 Old 05-27-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Same problem here with failed HDMI, but only on the ports that the DVR feeds(1st the CAB/SAT and 2nd the STB/DVR)
All other inputs work fine. Anybody else have issues with just those? Is it a known issue with Comcast DVR's?
post #9669 of 10062 Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComponentActual View Post

If using the zone 2 pre-outs connected to an external amplifier do you still have variable volume control with the Onkyo receiver for zone 2?

Also if you want to use an external amp for 9.2 channel playback does the receiver control the volume of two additional channels?

Zone 2 needs a seperate volume control. Cannot use the one on the receiver, the remote, or the iPad app.

Brady
post #9670 of 10062 Old 05-28-2014, 10:02 AM

I plan on purchasing the TX-NR818 and using it with an old Yamaha receiver as my external amp, so I can do 9.1 channel playback. The one thing that kind of bugs me about this receiver is that if you use the pre-amp outs for 9.1 playback you can't use your Zone 2 line outs. However I think I found a way that I can at least get A/B speaker functionality and listen to the same thing that playing in the main zone in a second zone using my Yamaha receiver as the external amp.

What I plan on doing is connecting  the Onkyo's external amp pre-out assigned to front wide to the  rear channel multi-channel inputs on the Yamaha Receiver. I then plan on connecting the front left and right pre-outs on the Onkyo to the front left and right multi-channel inputs on the Yamaha. Then connect my zone 2 speakers to the Front Left Right "B" speaker terminals on the Yamaha receiver, and my front left right speakers for the main zone to the front left right "A" terminals on the Yamaha. That way I can play the front left and right channels in the second zone and turn them off and on as necessary. And also if I just want the second zone active and the main zone silent, I can change the receiver to stereo mode so that only the front left right speakers are active and turn off Speakers A, and leave only Speakers B playing in the second zone. Also this way I have the front LR wides, and Front LR Mains on one amp, and the center, surround, and front heights on the other. I feel like a good 4 speaker on one amp, 5 speaker on the other split will help the onkyo not get too hot.

My only concern is running two amps like this all the time will use up alot of electricity, and since my front Left and RIght mains will be running off the external amp I will always need the external amp running. Which gave me the idea of what if I connected my front left and right speakers to both the Yamaha and the Onkyo Amp, used them to bi-amp the speakers when they were both on, and then if I turn the Yahama off, I can still fall back to 7.1 operation with just the Onkyo driving the LR main speakers? The speakers have 4 binding posts and are made to be passively bi-amped.

It seems to me this would work as it would essentially just be using two amps to dirve the speaker in a typical passive bi-amp configuration. My only concern is that when I turn the Yamaha off will it be bad for any of the components since the Yamaha will be off, yet still connected. Like will the electricity traveling to the speakers from the Onkyo travel back down the second set of speaker wire connected to the Yamaha and fry it?

If the above seems like a bad idea for some reason, I guess I could still use the external amp just to drive the front wide speakers and the zone 2/speaker B speakers, and just have the front LR mains driven by the onkyo, which would still give me 7.1 + 2 =9.1 speakers with both amps running, or just 7.1 when only the Onkyo is running, and without risk of damaging anything with passive bi-amping config. 

What I was also thinking I would do is connect the zone 2 line out on the Onkyo to a different stereo input on the Yamaha, so that in the rare instance that I want to listen to something different in zone 2 than the main zone, I can go into the setup options, enable zone 2 line out on the Onkyo, and switch inputs on the Yamaha to listen to two separate sources.

On a side note why in the hell does Onkyo design their receivers this way? I think it is so totally dumb that if you enable zone 2 line out, or powered zone 2 you lose the pre-out to external amplifier regardless of whether zone 2 is even active or not. Its totally stupid. I could connect my zone 2 speakers to the back of the Onkyo to the zone 2/ front wide speaker terminals and use an external amp to drive the front wide speakers, so that I could control the volume of zone 2 with the Onkyo and the remote app, but this would require that every time I want to activate zone 2 I would have to go into the setup options and reconfigure my speakers, which would be a total pain. Also wouldn't this cause my Audyssey calibration to be lost?

Finally I also think it is dumb that the zone 2/ zone 3 line outs don't have variable volume control. Just because someone can control the volume with their external amp doesn't mean they should have to. This will make things especially tricky for me if I use the zone 2 line out since my amp will be in a different room than the listening area, and since I will have to remember to return the volume to whatever level I have it calibrated for with the front wide speakers afterward. Also it is extremely stupid that you can not use powered zone 3 if you are not using powered zone 2. This basically mean if you want to use a 7.1 configuration with front highs you can switch seamlessly between using powered zone 2 and 5.1 speakers in main zone, and zone 2 off with full 7.1 configuration in main zone, but if you want a 7.1 configuration with front wides then you cannot use a powered zone 2 at all!!!

All in all I guess what I want to achieve is technically possible with the TX-NR818, it will just be a total pain to use, hopefully though with a little practice and patience it won't be too bad, and getting this level of functionality at this price point is not going to come without some drawbacks.

post #9671 of 10062 Old 05-28-2014, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi All!

New to the AVS forums and have already tried searching for an answer to my problem but it turned up nothing :(

I have RECENTLY purchased a Onkyo TXNR818 and I have the Klipsch F30, C20, S20 and SUB12 hooked up in a bi-amp configuration. My issue is, that I was wondering ports to use to have the front speakers (F30) powered by bi-amp and have a 5.1 setup? I have plugged in all the speakers but unfortunately I can't get sound out of the surrounds.

Does anyone else have their TXNR818 hooked up in bi-amp with 5.1?

post #9672 of 10062 Old 05-28-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I just added wides so now I have 9.2 fronts / center / highs / wides /surrounds. I'm using an amp to drive the highs. I like this set up I don't use the backs as I think the wides give a nicer effect. Still very happy with the 818 I think if the price on the 929 drops some more hopefully around $700 range so I can add backs and make it 11.2

My main setup
PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top rear. Bic Acoustech speakers, Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos top front Ceiling Speakers
post #9673 of 10062 Old 05-29-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Can the rear usb port power a USB fan that I can place on top of the receiver to suck warm air out of the receiver

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #9674 of 10062 Old 05-29-2014, 02:12 PM

Amazing! I was just going to ask that very same question. Also, is the USB in the back switched so it will turn the fans off when the unit powers down or goes into standby?
post #9675 of 10062 Old 05-29-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:

I just added wides so now I have 9.2 fronts / center / highs / wides /surrounds. I'm using an amp to drive the highs. I like this set up I don't use the backs as I think the wides give a nicer effect. Still very happy with the 818 I think if the price on the 929 drops some more hopefully around $700 range so I can add backs and make it 11.2

You can get the 929 for $777 refurbished from accessories4less right now. Comes with 1 year warranty and you can add 3 year New Leaf warranty for $53, but I have heard some bad things about new leaf protection plans. Basically it seems if you try to file a claim with new leaf and your receiver is discontinued then they will claim they can't find replacement parts and as the policy states in the fine print this exempts them from repairing/replacing the item and they just refund the cost of the protection plan. Check BBB for more info maybe.

post #9676 of 10062 Old 05-29-2014, 04:07 PM

People asking about USB, it will power fan, but I don't know if it is switched on and off with receiver. Also it is only 0.5A so not a whole lot of juice for pushing fans. I tired using a USB AC wall adapter with 0.6 amps, and wasn't impressed with the fans speed so switched to a USB AC adapter with 1.2 Ams and it pushes noticeably more air, but then again I am using this adapter to power 1x 200mm fan, 1x120mm fan, and 2 x 70mm fans. (I have receiver in very tight shelf with just 1 inch of space on all sides, so I use alot of fans to push air through the cabinet back to front)

The solution I am using to turn my fans on and off, and which I think is just absolutely fantastic is I am using a "smart strip". That is a surge protector power strip that has one master plug that you plug your receiver into, and several slave/controlled plugs that you plug other devices into. When you turn of your reciever/master device all the devices pluged into the controlled plugs have their power completely cut as well. I use this to cut power to my TV, Subwoofer, cabinet fans, and external amp. I purchased one made by Zuni Digital that has 1 master plug, 5 controlled plugs, and 4 always on plugs, and also has surge protection for an ethernet cable, coax cable, and phone line. It also will detect if you outlet isn't properly gournded. Its only $20 from amazon. I was so impressed with it I bought another for my computer. It is very stylish looking too.

Here is the link to it: http://www.amazon.com/ZuniDigital-ZG10222B-27-Outlet-Digital-Protector/dp/B003YH9DW2

One caveat though is that if you are using features on your receiver like network standby, or zone 2, or something that may cause the receiver to have higher than normal standby power, the power may not dip low enough to for the strip to detect that the master device has been turned off. If that is the case I would recommend just plugging the TV into the master device position instead, and if you are worried about the receiver having its power cut off in standby mode just plug it into one of the always on plugs.

Another option is a Smart Strip made by Tripp Lite, they make a version with a selectable "Stand-by" wattage detection switch. So If you have a device you are using as a master with high standby power you can configure the strip to still detect when its in standby mode. But the Tripp Lite model with this feature is around $70.

post #9677 of 10062 Old 05-29-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

$777.00 for a 929 That is a great deal I still may wait to see if it drops a little more if this is the price for a new receiver I would do it, but I will still wait till at least September October I always check Amazon's warehouse deals to see what's available as it stand now there are not many there and this tells me that these are not being returned. In my minds eye that tells me that the 929 is a keeper.

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #9678 of 10062 Old 05-29-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchansen View Post

Amazing! I was just going to ask that very same question. Also, is the USB in the back switched so it will turn the fans off when the unit powers down or goes into standby?

I'm not sure if it is or if it has enough power to run the fan anyway I'LL let you know once it comes in. But if that doesn't work I'll use a timer that I used for my Christmas lights and have it come on from 5 till 1 in the morning. I will figure something out.

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #9679 of 10062 Old 05-29-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure if it is or if it has enough power to run the fan anyway I'LL let you know once it comes in. But if that doesn't work I'll use a timer that I used for my Christmas lights and have it come on from 5 till 1 in the morning. I will figure something out.
If you look at coolerguys.com, they sell a bunch of fan kits that are thermostatically controlled. It comes with a probe that turns the fans on at about 88 degrees F and shuts off at 81 or something close to that. I plan on placing the probe on top of the chassis if the USB option doesn't work.
post #9680 of 10062 Old 05-29-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:

Correct, and switch on when you start it up. Though it can take 30 seconds.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

post #9681 of 10062 Old 05-29-2014, 11:38 PM

Liked: 12
Well here's an update to my 'no sound through HDMI issue' I posted the other page:

The repair shop advised me it was due to a failure on the DSP board which in the case of the NR818 sits on the HDMI board or so they tell me.

They have replaced the whole HDMI & DSP board under warranty so fingers crossed it's all good, hopefully pick it up this afternoon!

Hopefully it's an updated board to!
Bluewind1138 likes this.

post #9682 of 10062 Old 05-30-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you look at coolerguys.com, they sell a bunch of fan kits that are thermostatically controlled. It comes with a probe that turns the fans on at about 88 degrees F and shuts off at 81 or something close to that. I plan on placing the probe on top of the chassis if the USB option doesn't work.
this is a cool site might give this a shot if all else fails.

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #9683 of 10062 Old 05-30-2014, 10:22 AM

A cheap alternative to buying expensive USB fans, is to convert computer case fans to USB. All that is required a USB cord and a computer fan. Simply strip your usb cord and cut away the two data cables and solder the positve and negative power cables to the positive and negative cables on your computer fan.

post #9684 of 10062 Old 05-30-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just got my USB fan and yes the usb port drives the fan and the fan shuts off when the receiver powers down.

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #9685 of 10062 Old 05-31-2014, 11:28 PM

What video processing modes do you guys have use on the receiver. Been playing around but not sure whether to upscale in the onkyo or my Sony (last years W8).
post #9686 of 10062 Old 06-01-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon smith View Post

What video processing modes do you guys have use on the receiver. Been playing around but not sure whether to upscale in the onkyo or my Sony (last years W8).

I bypass them since the HDMI 24fps issue.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

post #9687 of 10062 Old 06-01-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

What issue is that.  I thought the 24fps issue was resolved via firmware over a year ago.

post #9688 of 10062 Old 06-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Quote:

What issue is that.  I thought the 24fps issue was resolved via firmware over a year ago.

I believe he is saying "I lost faith in Onkyo's ability to do video processing --- regardless of whether it works now or not".

I'm in that same camp. I do everything source/direct.

But honestly, that's because I did some testing and found the Onkyo did no better job than my Sony projector.
Bluewind1138 likes this.
post #9689 of 10062 Old 06-03-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon smith View Post

I use the 818 for sound. I have it set for through which upscales it to 1080P or direct which leaves it going to my TV unchanged.

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #9690 of 10062 Old 06-05-2014, 10:50 AM

moved to audyssey thread

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page