mine was on the dot with the 818.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9692 of 9977 Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I just got the TX-NR818 so I haven't had much of a chance to play with all the picture settings so far, but what I have it set to currently is custom with all the picture enhancement (reduce noise) settings set to low. I like being able to make picture adjustments before it gets to the TV, because when I enable "game" mode on my TV it wont let you make any picture adjustments. Now I can use game mode on the TV and still make adjustments on the reciever, and it looks like the game mode on the Onkyo is just a single setting not tied to other picture settings so I should be able to enable it on the receiver still be able to make adjustments.

post #9693 of 9977 Old 06-05-2014, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Has anyone been able to get the wifi working using a gener USB wifi adapter. I tried using a Belkin one I have and when I go to initial setup\network connection\wireless (option) it says no connection found. Am I doing something wrong or will it only work with Onkyo's UWF-1 adapter?

post #9694 of 9977 Old 06-05-2014, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComponentActual View Post

Has anyone been able to get the wifi working using a gener USB wifi adapter. I tried using a Belkin one I have and when I go to initial setup\network connection\wireless (option) it says no connection found. Am I doing something wrong or will it only work with Onkyo's UWF-1 adapter?

If I remember correctly, the wifi chipset has to be the same as the Onkyo UWF-1. This http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SZEOLG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER adapter is used by alot of Onkyo owners. It is much better and cheaper too. There is a review that compares the two adapters.
post #9695 of 9977 Old 06-06-2014, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello 818 owners. I'm thinking of buying one and also this cabinet:

http://bdiusa.com/theater/avion_2_8929.shtml#.U5F8q8t6fqA

I have 2 emotiva amps that would go in the side shelves which means the 818 would go on the bottom shelf but I only have 7" of clearance. If I remove the feet of the 818 will it fit and would there be any heat issues even if I don't use the internal amps?

Thanks in advance.
post #9696 of 9977 Old 06-06-2014, 06:57 AM

I have a Tx-NR818 hooked up via HDMI to a Pansonic 55" VT30 plasma, and I am having serious lip sync problems. Am I better off turning the auto lip sync on, manually adjusting the av sync in ms, or both? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #9697 of 9977 Old 06-06-2014, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav99l View Post

I have 2 emotiva amps that would go in the side shelves which means the 818 would go on the bottom shelf but I only have 7" of clearance. If I remove the feet of the 818 will it fit and would there be any heat issues even if I don't use the internal amps?

Thanks in advance.

Yes. Even without using the internal amps the processors still produce heat. In fact, having the amps running doesn't change the amount of heat dissipation by much. You need proper ventilation.

post #9698 of 9977 Old 06-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav99l View Post

Thanks in advance.

I would look for something more open
old corps likes this.
post #9699 of 9977 Old 06-07-2014, 09:42 AM

Just bought a used 818 Receiver, yesterday.

Can you guys tell me what the current best firmware is?
If I download a firmware update direct from the Onkyo Receiver, will it now include the 24fps fix? or do I still need to download a beta firmware online and transfer via USB stick?

Thanks.
post #9700 of 9977 Old 06-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstrike View Post

If I download a firmware update direct from the Onkyo Receiver, will it now include the 24fps fix? or do I still need to download a beta firmware online and transfer via USB stick?

Thanks.

it is now done via USB stick, download latest from Onkyo.
post #9701 of 9977 Old 06-07-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstrike View Post

Thanks.

Here is the firmware download link.
Just look for your system
It has info about the current firmware and the fixes

http://www.onkyousa.com/Downloads/firmware.php?source=globalnav

Receiver: Denon AVR-4520CISpeakers:Fronts: Polk Rti A7 /Center: Polk csiA6 /Surrounds: Polk Fxi A6SUB: Rythmik LV12R X2Source: Pioneer BDP62FDDisplay:Panasonic TC P50S60[/SIZE]
post #9702 of 9977 Old 06-07-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Questions for all the 818 owners. The first few weeks using this receiver, the unit output very little heat, which made me very happy. I wasn't thrilled that there isn't a way to truly turn off video processing, so I decided to split the A/V on my oppo 103, running video directly to the display and hdmi out 2, to the onkyo for audio. I don't know why this would make any difference in heat output, but now after watching a 2 hour movie, the onkyo gets very warm, in spite of being kept in an open back/open front cabinet, with a foot of clearance above it, so plenty of ventilation. any ideas why this would be the case? Also, because of the increase in heat output I bought an external fan to cool the unit. The fan is actually two separate fans that can be positioned to suck cool air in or blow hot air out. should I position one fan to suck cool air in, or position both fans to blow the hot air out? In addition, shoul I place the fans in the front of the unit, closer to the display? Or in the rear? The rear seems to be the area that gets the hottest. Thanks

post #9703 of 9977 Old 06-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post

Questions for all the 818 owners. The first few weeks using this receiver, the unit output very little heat, which made me very happy. I wasn't thrilled that there isn't a way to truly turn off video processing, so I decided to split the A/V on my oppo 103, running video directly to the display and hdmi out 2, to the onkyo for audio. I don't know why this would make any difference in heat output, but now after watching a 2 hour movie, the onkyo gets very warm, in spite of being kept in an open back/open front cabinet, with a foot of clearance above it, so plenty of ventilation. any ideas why this would be the case? Also, because of the increase in heat output I bought an external fan to cool the unit. The fan is actually two separate fans that can be positioned to suck cool air in or blow hot air out. should I position one fan to suck cool air in, or position both fans to blow the hot air out? In addition, shoul I place the fans in the front of the unit, closer to the display? Or in the rear? The rear seems to be the area that gets the hottest. Thanks

Maybe because you are now using 2 HDMI outs instead of one? That HDMI board puts amount a lot of heat.
post #9704 of 9977 Old 06-07-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

I guess I would question your heat checking.  :-)  When it was warm was it after a 2 hour movie?  After running for two hours yes it will be pretty warm, nothing to be alarmed by.  If you had an older Onkyo you'd know how sizzling hot they got but the newer models like 818 are better.  You can plenty of ventilation and even fans so I wouldn't worry about it.

post #9705 of 9977 Old 06-07-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

I guess I would question your heat checking.  :-)  When it was warm was it after a 2 hour movie?  After running for two hours yes it will be pretty warm, nothing to be alarmed by.  If you had an older Onkyo you'd know how sizzling hot they got but the newer models like 818 are better.  You can plenty of ventilation and even fans so I wouldn't worry about it.
When the receiver ran cooler, I would check it after running for a few hours after watching a movie or listening to music. The extreme warmth came after only running audio to the onkyo. That shouldn't change anything, but for whatever reason, the dramatic increase in heat output came at the same time I started splitting the a/v from the oppp. I think I'm going to change it back and see if anything changes with heat output. Any suggestions for how to place the fans once they arrive?

post #9706 of 9977 Old 06-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When the receiver ran cooler, I would check it after running for a few hours after watching a movie or listening to music. The extreme warmth came after only running audio to the onkyo. That shouldn't change anything, but for whatever reason, the dramatic increase in heat output came at the same time I started splitting the a/v from the oppp. I think I'm going to change it back and see if anything changes with heat output. Any suggestions for how to place the fans once they arrive?

pulling air out.

Even though you are only using the "audio" portion of the HDMI cable you are still using the 2nd HDMI port.
post #9707 of 9977 Old 06-07-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

pulling air out.

Even though you are only using the "audio" portion of the HDMI cable you are still using the 2nd HDMI port.
Agree with piling air out.
But he is only using one hdmi out on the Onkyo, he is running two from the OPPO if I understand correctly.
post #9708 of 9977 Old 06-07-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Agree with piling air out.
But he is only using one hdmi out on the Onkyo, he is running two from the OPPO if I understand correctly.
That is correct. It's the strangest thing. Thanks for the suggestion on fan positioning. They should arrive Monday.

post #9709 of 9977 Old 06-07-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:

I wasn't thrilled that there isn't a way to truly turn off video processing

You can turn off all video processing. Set Picture Mode to "Direct". There will be no change in quality or resolution of the incoming signal. Everything will be passed through as is from the source. Picture Mode "Through" will not change the quality but will change the resolution(upscale).
post #9710 of 9977 Old 06-07-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4 View Post

You can turn off all video processing. Set Picture Mode to "Direct". There will be no change in quality or resolution of the incoming signal. Everything will be passed through as is from the source. Picture Mode "Through" will not change the quality but will change the resolution(upscale).
Originally, this is how I had things set. But from what I've read, even these settings dont totally defeat video processing and I noticed a negative impact on PQ when running video from the oppp to the onkyo. I appreciate the suggestion though. Thank you.

post #9711 of 9977 Old 06-07-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally, this is how I had things set. But from what I've read, even these settings dont totally defeat video processing and I noticed a negative impact on PQ when running video from the oppp to the onkyo. I appreciate the suggestion though. Thank you.

"Direct" will not affect the picture at all. It will just pass it through untouched. Everything I have read confirms this. I can confirm this with my unit as well. I'm curious where you read otherwise. There are alot of settings on the 818 and each input can be set with a different Picture Mode. Could it be possible that some setting is affecting the picture when using the input for your Oppo?
post #9712 of 9977 Old 06-08-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I don't understand How does Dynamic Volume works (Light, medium, heavy) it seems to add lot of treble is this correct I watched Thunderball on cinemax it sounded very harsh I know the source was Dolby two channel then I watched orphan black on BBC America the source was Dolby D 5.1 and that sounded much better both are out put using 9.2 Audyssey DSX. Still messing around with the sound tweaking here and there. I just ordered an amp an onkyo M-5010 I'm going to use it to drive the wides. Don't get me wrong I love this thing right now I'm running 9.2 using the 818 to run flr, c, fwides, and surrounds. I'm using a little amp for the highs.

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2
post #9713 of 9977 Old 06-08-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

I don't understand How does Dynamic Volume works (Light, medium, heavy) it seems to add lot of treble is this correct I watched Thunderball on cinemax it sounded very harsh I know the source was Dolby two channel then I watched orphan black on BBC America the source was Dolby D 5.1 and that sounded much better both are out put using 9.2 Audyssey DSX. Still messing around with the sound tweaking here and there. I just ordered an amp an onkyo 5010 I'm going to use it to drive the wides. Don't get me wrong I love this thing right now I'm running 9.2 using the 818 to run flr, c, fwides, and surrounds. I'm using a little amp for the highs.

Dynamic Volume reduces the dynamic range of the audio, so the difference between loud sounds and quite sounds is less.  I'd recommend keeping it off, but if you prefer it start with light and work your way up from there.  Heavy has the most dynamic range compression.

post #9714 of 9977 Old 06-08-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4 View Post

"Direct" will not affect the picture at all. It will just pass it through untouched. Everything I have read confirms this. I can confirm this with my unit as well. I'm curious where you read otherwise. There are alot of settings on the 818 and each input can be set with a different Picture Mode. Could it be possible that some setting is affecting the picture when using the input for your Oppo?
If you scroll a few pages back, you'll see another user who seems to know his stuff, stated video processing, even in direct, doesn't totally defeat/bypass VP. Other than that, I cant site a specific source. Originally, I did a Google search of how to turn off, bypass, defeat VP and much of what I found in that search stated the same, I cant truly be done...which is why I came here, posing the same question. I have each individual inputs picture mode set to "direct," so if any setting is affecting PQ, it would have to be something else.

post #9715 of 9977 Old 06-08-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dynamic Volume reduces the dynamic range of the audio, so the difference between loud sounds and quite sounds is less.  I'd recommend keeping it off, but if you prefer it start with light and work your way up from there.  Heavy has the most dynamic range compression.

Thanks that's what I've done I mostly keep it off but have messed around with it it's horrible for Dolby two channel but 5.1 is better when I use it

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #9716 of 9977 Old 06-08-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you scroll a few pages back, you'll see another user who seems to know his stuff, stated video processing, even in direct, doesn't totally defeat/bypass VP. Other than that, I cant site a specific source. Originally, I did a Google search of how to turn off, bypass, defeat VP and much of what I found in that search stated the same, I cant truly be done...which is why I came here, posing the same question. I have each individual inputs picture mode set to "direct," so if any setting is affecting PQ, it would have to be something else.

I think the idea that it can't be fully turned off is because menus still get overlayed. You can't do that if there is truly no processing going on.  Using the direct setting is as close as you can get which "should" be doing nothing to the signal.  The only true test would be to connect both HDMI outputs to different TV inputs and see if you notice a difference.

post #9717 of 9977 Old 06-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think the idea that it can't be fully turned off is because menus still get overlayed. You can't do that if there is truly no processing going on.  Using the direct setting is as close as you can get which "should" be doing nothing to the signal.  The only true test would be to connect both HDMI outputs to different TV inputs and see if you notice a difference.

HDMI out 2 is completely untouched signal wise.
post #9718 of 9977 Old 06-08-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I want to use a M-5010 amp to run wides with my 818 is anyone familiar with this amp.

I'm going to run center, front left and rights, surrounds left and right, and highs left and right. Using the 818 then I'll use the M-5010 for wides. So my question is do I just leave it on stand by and once the auto audio is detected it turns on I understand that the 12 volt trigger only works for zone two or three.

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #9719 of 9977 Old 06-08-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right, which is why I suggested connecting both HDMI outs and doing the comparison.

post #9720 of 9977 Old 06-08-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:

the problem there is you lose OSD, which is kind of integral

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page