Forum Jump: 
post #9781 of 10090 Old 06-28-2014, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonesoul View Post
Hey guys, this may have been answered elsewhere but I'd appreciate any insight as I'm a little confused.

Recently purchased the 818 and my goal is to pass through audio signals as they were intended (no stadium, unplugged, or hall type fx) with only the Audyssey Speaker Setup adjustments. Is this possible? Everything I've read, "direct" should be my choice however this does away with anything the 8 point calibration achieved, correct? So doing an 8 point and then putting it on "direct" is pointless? How do the majority of you have it setup?

Also, lets say I'm watching Titanic with the DTS-HD Master Soundtrack selected on the Blu-Ray, the receiver displays "DTS HD Master" in tiny red letters, but then on the remote when I push "movie/tv" it scrolls through Mono,THX Cinema, TV Logic, etc., including an option for "DTS HD MASTER". So now on the receiver's front display it shows "DTS HD MASTER" twice, once in tiny red letters and once in huge white letters under BD/DVD! Why is this? And which is correct?

Sorry if this is such a noob question.

-X
It's right. Nothing to worry about. Just focus on the large text, whatever you see there is what's being used.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9782 of 10090 Old 06-28-2014, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Hey guys, this may have been answered elsewhere but I'd appreciate any insight as I'm a little confused.

Recently purchased the 818 and my goal is to pass through audio signals as they were intended (no stadium, unplugged, or hall type fx) with only the Audyssey Speaker Setup adjustments. Is this possible? Everything I've read, "direct" should be my choice however this does away with anything the 8 point calibration achieved, correct? So doing an 8 point and then putting it on "direct" is pointless? How do the majority of you have it setup?

Also, lets say I'm watching Titanic with the DTS-HD Master Soundtrack selected on the Blu-Ray, the receiver displays "DTS HD Master" in tiny red letters, but then on the remote when I push "movie/tv" it scrolls through Mono,THX Cinema, TV Logic, etc., including an option for "DTS HD MASTER". So now on the receiver's front display it shows "DTS HD MASTER" twice, once in tiny red letters and once in huge white letters under BD/DVD! Why is this? And which is correct?

Sorry if this is such a noob question.-X
Yes. Direct mode turns off Audyssey and any other post-processing.

Concerning your Titanic example, the red letters on your display indicate what is being input and the white letters indicate what is being output. Your owner's manual is your friend here.

Last edited by fokakis1; 06-29-2014 at 08:07 AM.
post #9783 of 10090 Old 06-29-2014, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post
It's right. Nothing to worry about. Just focus on the large text, whatever you see there is what's being used.
I have the same Dali setup with 7 front vocal 5 wides and 1 back and surround I let the box decide what's right for each blu ray but I watch tv on either 5.1 Dolby tv logic or plii . Music , well that's simply through the 7's.
post #9784 of 10090 Old 06-29-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiacfatboy View Post
I have the same Dali setup with 7 front vocal 5 wides and 1 back and surround I let the box decide what's right for each blu ray but I watch tv on either 5.1 Dolby tv logic or plii . Music , well that's simply through the 7's.
I'm confused here what is 7 front vocal 5 wides and 1 back and surround. Please help me understand.

My main setup PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Bose 161 top front on Ceiling Speakers
post #9785 of 10090 Old 06-29-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I have mine set up I use audyssey room correction 11 speakers and I run two subs. I'm able to run 9.2 with an external amp for my wides. My favorite listening mode is audyssey DSX AND DTS Neo:X Cinema THX Cinema. when I'm watching TV I use front left and right center highs and wides and surround. 9.2 because most TV is 5.1 with no back info. But if I'm watching a blu-ray with 7.1 I turn off the highs and run the backs as a 7.1 disc has back info. Hope your following and this I tested with watching war horse very nice sound effects.

My main setup PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Bose 161 top front on Ceiling Speakers
post #9786 of 10090 Old 06-29-2014, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have my 818 set up as 7.2 with surround and rear speakers, how can I make it 9.2 and add highs as well? Do I need an external amp to do that and if so can I use my old Onkyo SR674 as the amp for those extra two speakers?

I already has 2 spare speakers so thought why not use them if I can :-) I only watch movies - no music or TV on this set up.

Thanks for any info!
post #9787 of 10090 Old 06-29-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettmr View Post
I have my 818 set up as 7.2 with surround and rear speakers, how can I make it 9.2 and add highs as well? Do I need an external amp to do that and if so can I use my old Onkyo SR674 as the amp for those extra two speakers?

I already has 2 spare speakers so thought why not use them if I can :-) I only watch movies - no music or TV on this set up.

Thanks for any info!
That's a good idea. Then you could set the output to PLIIZ and every movie will be up mixed to 9.2. We can recommend, but you must see for yourself.
post #9788 of 10090 Old 06-29-2014, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post
Yes. Direct mode turns off Audyssey and any other post-processing.

Concerning your Titanic example, the red letters on your display indicate what is being input and the white letters indicate what is being output. Your owner's manual is your friend here.
Thanks so much everyone for your responses. It a means a lot.

I definitely need to become more familiar with the manual.

Does anybody make additional adjustments after audyssey completes it calibration? Or is that taboo?
post #9789 of 10090 Old 06-29-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for any info!
Yes you can only run 7.2 but if you add an amp you get 9 I have an amp running my wides.

post #9790 of 10090 Old 06-30-2014, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Sorry, Dali zensor 7 pair front left and right. Dali zensor 5 pair front wide left and right and Dali zensor 1 pair rear left and right and Dali zensor 1 pair surround left and right. The extra channels give different modes but the standard 5.1 is the same and I prefer TV logic and for music direct or stereo through only the zensor 7's .
post #9791 of 10090 Old 06-30-2014, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Does anybody make additional adjustments after audyssey completes it calibration? Or is that taboo?
It is definitely OK. I find that I leave most settings alone, but I do often change the center channel and sub levels. The fact is everything you play is not mixed the same and sometimes you want to make a change. Onkyo even puts these level controls front and center in their Android app.

Some people tweak the crossover settings but until or unless you're addressing a specific problem, I'd leave that advanced stuff alone.
post #9792 of 10090 Old 06-30-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
Yes you can only run 7.2 but if you add an amp you get 9 I have an amp running my wides.
So do you know if I can use my Onkyo SR-674 receiver as the amp for those two addition channels? I've never done amps so not sure what can/can't be done. Thanks!
post #9793 of 10090 Old 06-30-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So do you know if I can use my Onkyo SR-674 receiver as the amp for those two addition channels? I've never done amps so not sure what can/can't be done. Thanks!
I used an old denon receiver before I bought an Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier. And I just plugged into the CD In on the denon and it work like a champ until the denon died.

post #9794 of 10090 Old 06-30-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, Dali zensor 7 pair front left and right. Dali zensor 5 pair front wide left and right and Dali zensor 1 pair rear left and right and Dali zensor 1 pair surround left and right. The extra channels give different modes but the standard 5.1 is the same and I prefer TV logic and for music direct or stereo through only the zensor 7's .
Sweet

post #9795 of 10090 Old 06-30-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
To use an old receiver as an external amp to run 9.2 speakers you just need to connect a red white RCA cable from ext amp out on the back of your Onkyo TX-NR818, to the CD in or Multichannel Input on the back of your other receiver. It is best to use the Multi-channel input on the back of your other receiver if you have one, as this input will not apply any additional sound processing to the input. If you don't have a multichannel input then the CD input will work fine. Just select the straight decode sound processing mode for best results. You will then need to set the volume to 0/reference level. Now connect either your front high or front wide speakers to your receiver. Then go into the setup menu on your TX-NR818, and under speaker settings go down to Pre-out to external Amp and change the setting to either front high, front wide, or surround back, depending on what speakers you have connected to the 2nd receiver. I use my second receiver to power the Front Wide speakers, as this leaves the Front Wide/Zone 2 speaker terminals on the back of the TX-NR818 available for me to connect my zone 2 speakers to. Keep in mind though that you can't have the external amp pre-out, and the powered zone 2 settings both enabled at the same time. So if you want to use an external amp for 9.2 playback, and have zone 2 speakers you will have to switch the settings back and forth in the speaker settings menu depending on which you want to use at the moment. I created 2 macros on my remote to quickly switch the settings back and forth for me with a single button press, so this limitation doesn't slow me down too much.

Last edited by ComponentActual; 06-30-2014 at 03:10 PM.
post #9796 of 10090 Old 07-01-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Guys

I see that there is a LFE level setting for DTS, Dolby, DTS MA HD, DSD sources etc in the setup page.

I am not sure if it is defaulted at -10db and I should not touch it?

Thanks
post #9797 of 10090 Old 07-01-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexS View Post
Guys

I see that there is a LFE level setting for DTS, Dolby, DTS MA HD, DSD sources etc in the setup page.

I am not sure if it is defaulted at -10db and I should not touch it?

Thanks
The default is 0db and should not need to be touched.
post #9798 of 10090 Old 07-01-2014, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So my new 818 is sitting in it's box until my new center arrives in a few days.

It took me a week and a half but I just finished reading all 327 pages of this thread while pasting about 50 "go to" posts into a cheat sheet word doc I now have on my desktop.

I'm not sure if my accomplishment is worthy of congratulations or pity. I'm guessing the latter.

Talk about the full range of emotions. I went through dismay about a two year old 24 whatchamacallit issue to elation when I saw that it was fixed.. like a year and a half ago.

I read about 200 combined posts between some guy named Igor and another dude named Kevin and still have no idea what either of them was talking about -- despite the attractive graphs and passionate posting styles.

The last 75 pages or so were going really well when without warning about a dozen of you shot in and began talking about HDMI board failures, service centers, shipping fees, and weeks or months without your 818.

Talk about bringing a guy down..

But it just dawned on me that if only a dozen people are complaining, there are thousands of 818 owners who read this board and are happy - or at least content with their receivers. That will be the thought that allows me to go to sleep tonight.

So thanks for the discussion as you've saved me from asking dozens of inane questions that have already been answered countless times.

p.s. I still reserve the right to ask inane questions as they come up.
lovinthehd likes this.
post #9799 of 10090 Old 07-02-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac1012 View Post
But it just dawned on me that if only a dozen people are complaining, there are thousands of 818 owners who read this board and are happy - or at least content with their receivers.
I loved my 818 since the day I bought it, at a much higher price than you can get today. Still do. You'll probably be just as happy with yours. People don't usually complain when something works

No doubt Onkyo appears to have had an inordinate share of HDMI board problems, but you can cross that bridge when you come to it. Perhaps you never will. They can be repaired if necessary.

I recommend using a good quality UPS or surge suppressor with expensive electronics. I do, and perhaps that is the reason I haven't experienced any HDMI board related problems.
post #9800 of 10090 Old 07-02-2014, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently bought an NR818 from Amazon for a great price and love the unit. I have it powered through a Belkin Power Console PF40 along with my other home theater electronics. The receiver has a tremendous amount of features. With the addition of a cheap TP-Link WI-fi adapter on the rear usb port it connects to my media server. It has more capabilities than most of the present Onkyo receivers in its class. I've read about the hdmi issues with the unit and believe it is a small percentage of the total user population. You only hear from the problem users, not from the many satisfied ones.

Home Theater Setup
Polk RTi10 +CSi5+FXi5+RTi6
SVS PB2000 Subwoofer
Sharp LC-70SQ15U HDTV
Onkyo TX-NR818 AVR
Oppo BDP-103D & Toshiba HD-XA2 HD Player

Last edited by scorpion901; 07-15-2014 at 02:35 PM. Reason: correct spelling
post #9801 of 10090 Old 07-02-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComponentActual View Post
To use an old receiver as an external amp to run 9.2 speakers you just need to connect a red white RCA cable from ext amp out on the back of your Onkyo TX-NR818, to the CD in or Multichannel Input on the back of your other receiver. It is best to use the Multi-channel input on the back of your other receiver if you have one, as this input will not apply any additional sound processing to the input. If you don't have a multichannel input then the CD input will work fine. Just select the straight decode sound processing mode for best results. You will then need to set the volume to 0/reference level. Now connect either your front high or front wide speakers to your receiver. Then go into the setup menu on your TX-NR818, and under speaker settings go down to Pre-out to external Amp and change the setting to either front high, front wide, or surround back, depending on what speakers you have connected to the 2nd receiver. I use my second receiver to power the Front Wide speakers, as this leaves the Front Wide/Zone 2 speaker terminals on the back of the TX-NR818 available for me to connect my zone 2 speakers to. Keep in mind though that you can't have the external amp pre-out, and the powered zone 2 settings both enabled at the same time. So if you want to use an external amp for 9.2 playback, and have zone 2 speakers you will have to switch the settings back and forth in the speaker settings menu depending on which you want to use at the moment. I created 2 macros on my remote to quickly switch the settings back and forth for me with a single button press, so this limitation doesn't slow me down too much.

Thanks so much for the details, I'm going to give it a go, sounds simple.. I guess I would have to manually control the volume on the second receiver or do you mean always leave it at sound level zero. I'll be using it for the front high speakers.
post #9802 of 10090 Old 07-02-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the details, I'm going to give it a go, sounds simple.. I guess I would have to manually control the volume on the second receiver or do you mean always leave it at sound level zero. I'll be using it for the front high speakers.
This means relative volume. Turn it up till you get to zero. "Relative volume" zero equals "Absolute volume" 82.
post #9803 of 10090 Old 07-02-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post
This means relative volume. Turn it up till you get to zero. "Relative volume" zero equals "Absolute volume" 82.
Depends on what the user did during setup, too. Not always an equal playing field with the gear either....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #9804 of 10090 Old 07-02-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Set the secondary amp (avr in your case) to a gain/volume setting that works well then run Audyssey and don't touch the volume/gain control on the secondary amp again (until such time as a gear/positioning change causes you to go through setup again).

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #9805 of 10090 Old 07-03-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Set the secondary amp (avr in your case) to a gain/volume setting that works well then run Audyssey and don't touch the volume/gain control on the secondary amp again (until such time as a gear/positioning change causes you to go through setup again).
Yeah I was just saying to turn up the volume on the secondary Amp to a good amount. I think relative volume 0 is probably a pretty good starting point. Ideally you would want it set so that when you run Audyssey it sets the trim on the speakers connected to that amp at 0, but really as long as Audyssey clocks it within 3 or 4 decibels of zero I think you are good. You will not have to control volume on the secondary amp again, as volume will be controlled via the Onkyo. The pre-outs on the back of the Onkyo are variable volume so the signal they feed to the secondary amp is modulated to coincide with the Onkyo's volume setting.

The Zone 2 and Zone 3 preouts on the back of the Onkyo however are not variable volume, they are fixed volume. So if you use a secondary amp to power your zone 2 speakers then you would need to control volume with the secondary amp. That is why I like to power my zone 2 speakers directly off the Onkyo, and power my front wide speakers off a secondary amp. That way the volume of everything can be controlled with one remote, or with the Onkyo smartphone app.
post #9806 of 10090 Old 07-03-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion901 View Post
I recently bought an NR818 from Amazon for a great price and love the unit. I have it powered through a Belkin Power Console PF40 along with my other home theater electronics. The receiver has a tremendous amount of features. With the addition of a cheap TP-Link wi-fi adapter on the rear usb port it connects to my media server. It has more capabilities than most of the present Onkyo receivers in its class. I've read about the hdmi ssiues with the unit and believe it is a small percentage of the total user population. You only hear from the problem users, not from the many satisfied ones.
I too purchased one from Amazon and feel like I got a good price. I spent about a month researching receivers and initially got a Denon X2000, but then decided to upgrade to TX-NR818 for 9.1 channels with second amp, DTS Neo X, and Mult Eq XT 32. After all my research I feel pretty good that this is the best receiver for the $. The HDMI issues do worry me though as they seem fairly common across all Onkyo models. So I went ahead and purchased a Square Trade protection plan for about $50. It provides 3 years of coverage and starts immediately after purchase. Also it covers all shipping charges even if you use the original manufacturers warranty, they will still cover the shipping charges. So I feel like it is a pretty good deal for a extra year of coverage and the additional shipping costs coverage. We all know how expensive it can be to ship a heavy piece of equipment like this. I bet it costs around 60 dollars to ship one of these units.

The only deal/receiver that I think comes close to the Amazon deal on the TX-NR818 is the Accessories for less deal on the TX-NR929. That is one hell of unit as it can power 9 channels on the receiver itself and do 11 channels with external amp. It also is a year newer and has built in wifi and bluetooth. But purchasing refurb unit for Accesories4less means only 1 year warranty, and no option to buy square trade protection plan for extended coverage. They sell New Leaf protection plans, but when I researched them I found a bunch of stories of people who said that when they went to file a claim New Leaf would claim that the receiver they purchased was obsolete and that replacements parts could not be found for it, and thus they were excused from any responsibility to fix/repair the unit, and would then just refund the purchase cost of the protection plan to the buyer. So the TX-NR818 seemed like the better buy to me, but if you want the absolute most feature rich receiver in the same price range you may want to check out that deal.

Last edited by ComponentActual; 07-03-2014 at 09:01 AM.
post #9807 of 10090 Old 07-03-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion901 View Post
I recently bought an NR818 from Amazon for a great price and love the unit. I have it powered through a Belkin Power Console PF40 along with my other home theater electronics. The receiver has a tremendous amount of features. With the addition of a cheap TP-Link wi-fi adapter on the rear usb port it connects to my media server. It has more capabilities than most of the present Onkyo receivers in its class. I've read about the hdmi ssiues with the unit and believe it is a small percentage of the total user population. You only hear from the problem users, not from the many satisfied ones.
Couldn't agree more with Scorpion - even though I actually HAD the HDMI board issue (which occurred the first time I powered the unit up. Had it repaired locally under warranty and ZERO problems since). This has been the best performing AVR I have owned, including my earlier Yamahas and Denons. Feature-rich, simple to operate and tweak on the fly, and XT32 all make me want to keep this unit for many years to come.
post #9808 of 10090 Old 07-03-2014, 09:58 AM

One thing I have to give credit to Onkyo for as far as HDMI goes is their CEC/RIHD implementation. I had a Denon X2000 for about a month before upgrading to the TX-NR818, and several times my TV would get all out of sync with the receiver when using CEC and I would be forced to unplug the TV's power cord, turn off CEC on the receiver, turn off CEC on the TV, turn TV back on and renable CEC on both devices to get them talking to each other again. Have had the TX-NR818 for two months now and havent' had a single HDMI hand-shake issue with CEC enabled on my TV, PS4, and receiver. I also have a PC connected to my receiver, and the PC automatically detects when I turn the TV on and automatically enables it as a second monitor, and then automatically disables that monitor when I turn the TV off. So the HDMI handshake and CEC functions on the Onkyo receiver are spot on for me.
post #9809 of 10090 Old 07-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 294
hey guys ,i have a problem updating the receiver ,ever since i got it i can't access the update via usb .it is not there i checked ....what to do ,can't remember if i tried reseting it and if it shows up that i can update via usb or not ......
anyone else have had this happen b4 ?
post #9810 of 10090 Old 07-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post
hey guys ,i have a problem updating the receiver ,ever since i got it i can't access the update via usb .it is not there i checked ....what to do ,can't remember if i tried reseting it and if it shows up that i can update via usb or not ......
anyone else have had this happen b4 ?

try another USB stick
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread