i have no luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 10056 Old 07-06-2014, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You know the only negative thing I hold against my 818 is the slow track skipping with the USB port + MP3. I really wish they would have fixed it.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #9813 of 10056 Old 07-07-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post
hey guys ,i have a problem updating the receiver ,ever since i got it i can't access the update via usb .it is not there i checked ....what to do ,can't remember if i tried reseting it and if it shows up that i can update via usb or not ......
anyone else have had this happen b4 ?

Make sure it's in the correct format. When you unzip the download, it will create a folder named Onkyoxxxxxxxx. You don't want that folder. Copy the contents of that folder to a flash drive. Also, make sure the flash drive has nothing else on it.

Good luck
post #9814 of 10056 Old 07-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Make sure it's in the correct format. When you unzip the download, it will create a folder named Onkyoxxxxxxxx. You don't want that folder. Copy the contents of that folder to a flash drive. Also, make sure the flash drive has nothing else on it.

Good luck
thank you zeus33 ,i appreciate it .i will try tomorrow and report back
if i still can't see the update via usb menu i might try to reset the receiver .....but first i will follow the steps above cheers
post #9815 of 10056 Old 07-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

i tried again today to reset the receiver and ran audessey and tried the usb update and nope nothing again .it says i have the update 100-7000 whatever but i can't see the update via usb command in the fimrware update menu .so i guess i am ok if it won't update it ,
i think i just wanted to see if i have the 24 p frame bug but i never notice and frankly at least it sounds awsome and the hdmi isn't bad or fried like my 807 did ......
post #9816 of 10056 Old 07-09-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i tried again today to reset the receiver and ran audessey and tried the usb update and nope nothing again .it says i have the update 100-7000 whatever but i can't see the update via usb command in the fimrware update menu .so i guess i am ok if it won't update it ,
i think i just wanted to see if i have the 24 p frame bug but i never notice and frankly at least it sounds awsome and the hdmi isn't bad or fried like my 807 did ......

If you are happy with it, just leave it. However, you can try plugging the USB in and power cycling the receiver. When it boots, it should say "initializing USB" or something like that and then give you the option to update using the files on the USB drive.
malmstump likes this.
post #9817 of 10056 Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
If you are happy with it, just leave it. However, you can try plugging the USB in and power cycling the receiver. When it boots, it should say "initializing USB" or something like that and then give you the option to update using the files on the USB drive.
zeus ,thank you again man i am gonna try it later on today and will see ....
i am very happy with it musically and power wise as well eventho i am running emotiva xpa 5 with my klipsch
klf-30 and klf 20 and c7 sounds amazing .
if it ever craps out i don't know if i would get onkyo again because they dropped audessey xt 32 ,bad move and now they are gonna buy shares in pioneer a/v receivers
post #9818 of 10056 Old 07-10-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having trouble getting my receiver to connect to the Network. The last time I used network functionality on it was a few weeks ago, and when I went to connect today it just went to black screen and in really tiny letters on the front of the receiver the word "Net" blinked. I tried going to the initial setup and doing the network connection test, and it said no connection was available. So I took the ethernet cable connected to my TV and switched it with the one connected to the receiver. They are both plugged into a TP-Link network switch. The TV could still connect and the receiver still could not. Don't really know what else to do but a full factory reset which I don't really want to do, as I don't fell like doing Audyssey all over again. Any other suggestions?
post #9819 of 10056 Old 07-10-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComponentActual View Post
I am having trouble getting my receiver to connect to the Network. The last time I used network functionality on it was a few weeks ago, and when I went to connect today it just went to black screen and in really tiny letters on the front of the receiver the word "Net" blinked. I tried going to the initial setup and doing the network connection test, and it said no connection was available. So I took the ethernet cable connected to my TV and switched it with the one connected to the receiver. They are both plugged into a TP-Link network switch. The TV could still connect and the receiver still could not. Don't really know what else to do but a full factory reset which I don't really want to do, as I don't fell like doing Audyssey all over again. Any other suggestions?
Try just unplugging it for a while?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #9820 of 10056 Old 07-11-2014, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
hey guys ,i have a problem updating the receiver ,ever since i got it i can't access the update via usb .it is not there i checked ....what to do ,can't remember if i tried reseting it and if it shows up that i can update via usb or not ......
anyone else have had this happen b4 ?
I updated my NR818 with a usb memory stick formatted with FAT32 file system. Put the ONKAVR000E_MAMAMAMAM9MAMA_116.zip file on the blank memory stick and unzip to the root directory of the stick. You should have 5 files in the root of the memory stick and 5 files in a folder named "AVR000E_Release". Put your memory stick in the front usb port and push the USB button on the remote until the display says "USB Front". You should then be able to update the firmware. Hope this helps.

Home Theater Setup
Polk RTi10 +CSi5+FXi5+RTi6
SVS PB2000 Subwoofer
Sharp LC-70SQ15U HDTV
Onkyo TX-NR818 AVR
Oppo BDP-103D & Toshiba HD-XA2 HD Player
post #9821 of 10056 Old 07-12-2014, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion901 View Post
I updated my NR818 with a usb memory stick formatted with FAT32 file system. Put the ONKAVR000E_MAMAMAMAM9MAMA_116.zip file on the blank memory stick and unzip to the root directory of the stick. You should have 5 files in the root of the memory stick and 5 files in a folder named "AVR000E_Release". Put your memory stick in the front usb port and push the USB button on the remote until the display says "USB Front". You should then be able to update the firmware. Hope this helps.
scorpion ,it worked dude it was the fat 32 format that did it ....i am very happy i got it to finally update
now after 2 years of this eating at me it is finally done .
i don't really know if i am gonna notice much about the 24 p frame or the flac improvement but who cares ...
did you notice any improvemnts guys in the unit since fw update in any way?
zeus and scorpion i thank you
post #9822 of 10056 Old 07-12-2014, 01:24 AM

Exclamation NR818 Sounds and Looks Great!

Quote:
scorpion ,it worked dude it was the fat 32 format that did it ....i am very happy i got it to finally update
now after 2 years of this eating at me it is finally done .
i don't really know if i am gonna notice much about the 24 p frame or the flac improvement but who cares ...
did you notice any improvemnts guys in the unit since fw update in any way?
zeus and scorpion i thank you
I stream my flac music files to the NR818 with a free piece of software called Foobar2000 (Windows Only!). It works great and I'm really liking NeoX Music surround on my 7.1 system, it sounds great once calibrated with the Audyssey MultEQ XT32. I have no issues with 24p video and I play with lots of different sources (blu-ray disc, DVD disc, and MKV files). The NR818 is capable of terrific sound and video.

Thanks to DoctorM, I installed and am now using Serviio for all my media streaming. It works great.
malmstump likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SVS PB2000 Subwoofer
Sharp LC-70SQ15U HDTV
Onkyo TX-NR818 AVR

Last edited by scorpion901; 07-15-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Update
post #9823 of 10056 Old 07-12-2014, 01:29 AM

Wink Give This A Try - It Worked for My Wi-Fi Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComponentActual View Post
Try unplugging the ethernet cable and power cycle the receiver. It should show "reinitializing" for a few seconds and then resume normal function. Now turn off the receiver and reinsert the ethernet cable and power on. The receiver should reinitialize and reset your network connection. Hope this helps.
I forgot to mention that network standby needs to be unenabled or this won't work since it keeps the network alive and it won't reinitialize..

Home Theater Setup
SVS PB2000 Subwoofer
Sharp LC-70SQ15U HDTV
Onkyo TX-NR818 AVR

Last edited by scorpion901; 07-12-2014 at 11:16 AM.
post #9824 of 10056 Old 07-12-2014, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there away to have the Slacker app not play explicit language?
post #9825 of 10056 Old 07-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion901 View Post
I stream my flac music files to the NR818 with a free piece of software called Foobar2000 (Windows Only!). It works great and I'm really liking NeoX Music surround on my 7.1 system, it sounds great once calibrated with the Audyssey MultEQ XT32. I have no issues with 24p video and I play with lots of different sources (blu-ray disc, DVD disc, and MKV files). The NR818 is capable of terrific sound and video.
thank you again scorpion i appreciate your help working great,i run mine with an emo xpa 5 power amp and
it becomes a power house that can be pushed beyond loud
post #9826 of 10056 Old 07-13-2014, 09:56 AM

As others have encountered my 818 has begun not producing sound. At least until it's "warmed" up for 30-45 minutes. If I turn it on and leave it for the 30-45 minutes, turn it off and then back on I have sound...

Video works fine for all sources. The unit is out of warranty by a couple of months. It's clearly a relay issue as I notice the start-up clicks are different. I do not relish the idea of hunting for another reciever as that will not have spousal approval.

Here's my thinking and guide me if I've missed a step. I could get an external AMP and use the pre-outs. I'm specifically looking at the Emotiva UPA-700 as I do have a 7.1 setup. This would be a less expensive way to go than replacing a reciever that works correctly in all other respects. It would bypass the amplification on the 818 and should get me to where I want to be.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated. Maybe I've missed something?
post #9827 of 10056 Old 07-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is the 818 able to receive receive ARC from my new Samsung 4k tv when it is in Standby? I'd like to be able to listen to Netflix streaming to the TV with the receiver in Standby instead of having to turn my whole system on. I've tried, and got no audio. But I'm not sure if there is a setting on the receiver I need to turn on.
post #9828 of 10056 Old 07-13-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainman View Post
As others have encountered my 818 has begun not producing sound. At least until it's "warmed" up for 30-45 minutes. If I turn it on and leave it for the 30-45 minutes, turn it off and then back on I have sound...

Video works fine for all sources. The unit is out of warranty by a couple of months. It's clearly a relay issue as I notice the start-up clicks are different. I do not relish the idea of hunting for another reciever as that will not have spousal approval.

Here's my thinking and guide me if I've missed a step. I could get an external AMP and use the pre-outs. I'm specifically looking at the Emotiva UPA-700 as I do have a 7.1 setup. This would be a less expensive way to go than replacing a reciever that works correctly in all other respects. It would bypass the amplification on the 818 and should get me to where I want to be.

I don't know that anyone would know. For the pre-amp outputs to work the HDMI and DAC would have to be fully functional (for HDMI sources anyway) and if the HDMI board is going bad it might not work at all.
post #9829 of 10056 Old 07-13-2014, 12:34 PM

jmpage2--

That was a concern. Just because the video works all the time, just no sound without the warm-up there's no guarantee an external amp would resolve the issue. I guess my thinking was the HDMI board must be okay if I'm getting video from any and all of my video sources but I can see how it's possible they're all connected.

Once the sound does work all sound fields work as they should.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #9830 of 10056 Old 07-13-2014, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainman View Post

get it replaced under warranty.
post #9831 of 10056 Old 07-13-2014, 04:46 PM

Well I did some digging in my files and I bought my 818 on 7/23/12 so I have 10 days of warranty left. I don't have the receipt from the merchant due to an email screweup a while back but I do have the packing slip.

I'll call Onkyo tomorrow as they're Mon-Fri for warranty stuff. I'll also call the merchant (Onecall) to see if I can get a copy of my receipt. The authorized repair center is 15-20 minutes from my house.

It'll suck being without a receiver in my HT for a few weeks but with luck I'll get it repaired and be a happy owner again.
post #9832 of 10056 Old 07-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

they can look up via serial number, hopefully it is from an authorized vendor otherwise you got yourself a future paper weight.

Last edited by NODES; 07-13-2014 at 11:05 PM.
post #9833 of 10056 Old 07-15-2014, 08:52 AM

Liked: 0
Hello. Is there any chance than we can have a dolby atmos upgrade on a tx-nr818. And if it so. How can we upgrade it?
post #9834 of 10056 Old 07-15-2014, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollsmen View Post
Hello. Is there any chance than we can have a dolby atmos upgrade on a tx-nr818. And if it so. How can we upgrade it?
No, there is zero chance. 818 is discontinued and Dolby Atmos would require a hardware upgrade.
post #9835 of 10056 Old 07-15-2014, 09:18 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Probably never.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #9836 of 10056 Old 07-15-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hello. Is there any chance than we can have a dolby atmos upgrade on a tx-nr818. And if it so.

How can we upgrade it?

No, impossible.

Sell it and "upgrade" to an inferior 838.
post #9837 of 10056 Old 07-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Off topic: Is the "go the the latest post" working for anyone?

It just brings me to the last page... even though I click on the little arrow. Lower quality here than the Onkyo with the 24 Hz bug
post #9838 of 10056 Old 07-15-2014, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

It just brings me to the last page... even though I click on the little arrow. Lower quality here than the Onkyo with the 24 Hz bug
I'm having some issues with that feature as well..
post #9839 of 10056 Old 07-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

Maybe because that was the last important post on the 818?
post #9840 of 10056 Old 07-18-2014, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I noticed the new offerings from Onkyo lack Audyssey and now use AccuEQ instead. Whats the difference between the two, or is it an Audyssey rebrand?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page