AVS Forum banner

Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion

997K views 11K replies 964 participants last post by  horseflesh 
#1 ·

I am not an owner of this unit (yet) but considering the volume of interest I think that this modl needs its own thread, especially considering the volume of posts that the previous 809 model generated.

Some information to get you started (courtesy of FilmMixer);

Onkyo 818 Product Page

Direct Link to English 818 Owners Manual Download

Information about 717/818 from original Onkyo Press release:

818 Press Release - Includes High Resolution Pictures or AVR's Front and Back

Front picture

Rear picture

#8,228 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES  /t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/8220#post_23812132

Oh boy....here we go again. It is not the heat that killed your unit, its the crappy HDMI board that was put in it

Onkyo + HDMI =

Mine is in the shop now with the HDMI board being changed. When speaking to Onkyo I mentioned that it seemed to be the HDMI board and the known issue with it and the 818! Onkyo said that they did not know of any known issues with its HDMI board! I said maybe you should check some of the AV forums and get enlightened! Denial!

#8,229 ·
Out of curiosity, what happens when the HDMI board goes (so I know)? Do you lose one or two ports or does it crap out all together? I assume you then pack her up and UPS to a repair site? Hopefully since its just the board its a quick turn around.

#8,230 ·
On my Integra 80.2 I lost sound after intermitten HDMI handshake issues? not sure what issues there would be with a two year later model.

#8,231 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1  /t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/8220#post_23817126

I can't speak to a comparason with miniDSP, but I can tell you that from my experience Audyssey on the 818 does an excellent job of EQing miltiple subs. It got me to +/- 4 dB from 15-80 Hz with dual subs in separate locations.

There was a step by step guide on eq-ing multiple subs with the 818 but I can't locate it.

Would you happen to know the method?

#8,232 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleycol  /t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/8220#post_23819237

There was a step by step guide on eq-ing multiple subs with the 818 but I can't locate it.

Would you happen to know the method?

If you are talking about this tutorial , it doesn't deal with EQing per se -- just the setup and level adjustment.

As for the original question, on my setup I find that the 818 does a good enough job EQing the subs and I don't feel like EQing with the MiniDSP on top of it is worth the hassle, except notably that I like using a single PEQ as a low-pass shelf filter to raise the very low frequencies a bit in the shape of a gentle house curve. This can also help in trading headroom for extension, which Audyssey won't try to do.

#8,233 ·
so it appears we are having some hdmi board failures popping up as of late. I just can't believe were still talking about this still in 13'

#8,234 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998  /t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/8220#post_23820297

so it appears we are having some hdmi board failures popping up as of late. I just can't believe were still talking about this still in 13'

As the saying goes...

"the more things change, the more they stay the same"

#8,235 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES  /t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/8220#post_23820690

As the saying goes...

"the more things change, the more they stay the same"
But the "things" did not changed at all - latest Onkyo`s is based on the same chips as old brothers - particularly TI Aureus DA830, source of the infamous "no sound" problem.

#8,237 ·
Ive read they 828 and the other 2013 models have the "fix". To be honest, I did not really worry about it. I got this 818 for under $800 which is a helluva price IMHO and so far Im very happy with its performance.

#8,238 ·
M
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek  /t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/8220#post_23822121

Ive read they 828 and the other 2013 models have the "fix". To be honest, I did not really worry about it. I got this 818 for under $800 which is a helluva price IMHO and so far Im very happy with its performance.

I as well.

#8,239 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek  /t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/8220#post_23822121

$749 right now at Crutchfields. Mine should arrive tomorrow.

Replacing a Denon 3808 which I have no problem with, but I specifically wanted to get XT32.

Brian

#8,240 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek  /t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/8220#post_23818112

Out of curiosity, what happens when the HDMI board goes (so I know)? Do you lose one or two ports or does it crap out all together? I assume you then pack her up and UPS to a repair site? Hopefully since its just the board its a quick turn around.

I also want to know the same. Anybody?

#8,241 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek  /t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/8220#post_23818112

Well for me, it didn't completely die. It stopped switching inputs, still had sound and video. The repair time is 7-10 days plus shipping time. They email onkyo for the part request, then place the order.

I couldn't even buy the part, they won't sell it to a non service center. Complete nonsense, no reason for that.

Edit: I should add that the bigger issue for me was that when the HDMI board blew, it blew out my Sharp as well. I was lucky that the TV is still under warranty. The real sucky part is that Sharp only has one board in there tv's, so my ISF cal is now gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: gadgtfreek
#8,243 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES  /t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/8220#post_23824568

Handshake issues and sound cuts out...is 2 other symptoms

I never realized it, but now that you mention it. The sound cutting in/out alot is definetly an issue. It even happens when the receiver is acting as a pass through. I allways though my HTPC was messed up, but since my TV has been fixed and directly hooked to the HTPC, it works perfect.

#8,244 ·

So, I have a question, and it might strike ya'll as a little bit odd, but here goes.

What happens if you tell the 818 that there's a subwoofer but you don't have one plugged in? Are you allowed to pick a crossover frequency, and then any signals that would normally be sent to the sub vanish off into the ether? Or does it somehow detect that there's no sub and run the speakers full range?

The reason I ask is, I live in an apartment and don't really want a sub right now so as not to unduly disturb the neighbors (also, cost). I'm looking at a set of speakers (either 2.0 or 3.0, depending on how many I get) that I'm not totally sure are safe to run full range. According to the manual for the 818, if you select the no-sub setting, the front speakers are set to full range automatically. I need to know I can run a crossover (into nothingness, really) to protect the speakers if I need to. I'm aware that if it works, I would be very much lacking in low-end punch.

Or am I totally overthinking this? I'm very new to audio in general.

#8,245 ·
When you run the set up the 818 will see that you haven't got a sub connected. AFAIK you can't then change the setting afterwards without re running set up. The only way you could 'cheat' this would be to borrow a sub then disconnect it after set up and adjust your crossovers to suit.

#8,246 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkForceRising  /t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/8220#post_23824810

So, I have a question, and it might strike ya'll as a little bit odd, but here goes.

What happens if you tell the 818 that there's a subwoofer but you don't have one plugged in? Are you allowed to pick a crossover frequency, and then any signals that would normally be sent to the sub vanish off into the ether? Or does it somehow detect that there's no sub and run the speakers full range?

The reason I ask is, I live in an apartment and don't really want a sub right now so as not to unduly disturb the neighbors (also, cost). I'm looking at a set of speakers (either 2.0 or 3.0, depending on how many I get) that I'm not totally sure are safe to run full range. According to the manual for the 818, if you select the no-sub setting, the front speakers are set to full range automatically. I need to know I can run a crossover (into nothingness, really) to protect the speakers if I need to. I'm aware that if it works, I would be very much lacking in low-end punch.

I have often wondered this my self. I would like to know the answer also.

#8,247 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkForceRising  /t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/8220#post_23824810

The calibration asks for a Sub, so if it's not present it will fail. I can't say if you can alter the speakers crossovers without a Sub but I don't see why not. It goes all the way up to 200Hz.

#8,252 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek  /t/1412714/onkyo-tx-nr818-official-owners-thread-discussion/8250#post_23832662

Cool. Im swapping everything over, I figure its time. I love my BJC HDMI's, but I could stand to lose some wasted space do to thick cables, and I like they have low stress on HDMI ports.

Monoprice?