Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 332 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

post #9931 of 10545 Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cissado View Post
Yeah, I was eyeing the 929 for exactly that reason, if I couldn't get this 818 to work with the audio issues, but they fixed it so fast, I'll keep it for a while. I use a seperate amp, so I didn't really need the power section. Thanks for the help!
For a while, I was using the Preouts plus a an old 4 channel amp as a faux zone. Built in amps power your main zone over digital input, then change a few settings (enable preouts, enable Height Channel or whatever speaker terminal, set to All Channel Stereo) to add 4 more speakers on the same zone. Maybe you could split the rca outputs to your amp to add another amp?

I recognize this sounds like it doesn't work for your setup for a few reasons (just like the roku 3 doesn't have analog outputs) - but, at least you have that as an option...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9932 of 10545 Old 09-03-2014, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Had to deal with Onkyo Order Dept this morn about my purchase of the extended warranty for my 818, when I ordered it & checked out the purchase total was $65 after 20 Onkyo points applied so I assumed that my credit card would be billed the total on the receipt, $65 but when I checked my bank statement this morn, the full $85 was charged. When I called Onkyo, got bounced around & transferred 5 times & spoke to as many reps each time explaining why I was calling. After getting disconnected, called 2 more times & finally spoke to a guy in the order dept that spoke to his superior & was told that my cc would be credited $20 by the end of the day. So much to my suprise just now, got a call from an Onkyo rep that tells me that Onkyo points are not redeemable for purchase of the extended warranty & full price is as is. What?? Then how come it's says $65 on my receipt as purchase total & where does it say that in the terms & conditions? No answer, other than do you want to keep the warranty or be refunded your payment & forgo the extended warranty. I'll tell ya, after all that this morn & then now, I told him to just forget it, refund me the full amount & I'll take my chances 2 years from now when the original warranty runs out. It's the principle of it all. Here's what I copied from the shoponkyo.com extended warranty purchase terms & conditions:

Redeeming Club Onkyo Points
  • Users can redeem points for purchases over $79.00 made on http://www.shoponkyo.com
  • One (1) Point is equivalent to one (1) dollar towards the purchase of Onkyo products.
  • Points have no cash value.
  • Users can redeem any quantity of their earned points toward a purchase, not to exceed total purchase price.
If in my blind ignorance I've missed something, somebody please set me in the right direction lol. As it is, I can use the $ for something else right now so in the end, no big deal.

"To the journey..."
Sony KDL60W630B; Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains; Polk RTi CSi A6 Center; Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4, Dish Network 722k, Iogear WiFi Hub
Teac PD-H600; Marantz BD7004;
Orbit TT Red Plinth, Acrylic Platter, Ortofon OM 5E Cartridge
post #9933 of 10545 Old 09-03-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post
Had to deal with Onkyo Order Dept this morn about my purchase of the extended warranty for my 818.......

Yep, I got the same story, except I didn't get the run around. The first person I spoke to told me the points couldn't be used for extended warranty. With Onkyo extending coverage until 2018 on the HDMI board, it may be worth the gamble. Just check your serial number on their site and make sure you are covered.

post #9934 of 10545 Old 09-05-2014, 05:45 PM

Liked: 12
Just purchased the Denon 4520CI at Best Buy. Would you consider this an upgrade over the 818? I have the Polk Monitor 75t, CS2 Center, 45b Bookshelf with (2) Dayton 1200 Sub woofers. The 818 has performed amazing for me. However, the 4520 was the flagship receiver for Denon. Thoughts guys? Pros/Cons?
post #9935 of 10545 Old 09-05-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 123
CEC (aka RIHD per Onkyo) question for you 818 owners...

I've always disabled CEC but decided to try it out. I'm quite puzzled by something in the manual. On page 75 it states the following regarding the HDMI Control (RIHD) Off/On setting...

"When the setting is set to “On” and the menu is closed, the names of connected RIHD-compatible components and “RIHD On”
are displayed on the AV receiver.
“Search...” → “(name)” → “RIHD On”
When the A V receiver cannot receive the name of the component, it is displayed as “Player*” or “Recorder*”, etc. (“*” shows up and indicates the number of components, when two or more are received)."

Where the heck is this displayed? Also, what in the world does the manual mean when it says "Search..." -> "(name)" -> "RIHD on"???

IMHO, this portion of the manual is worse written the the other questionable sections!
post #9936 of 10545 Old 09-05-2014, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

I've always disabled CEC but decided to try it out. I'm quite puzzled by something in the manual. On page 75 it states the following regarding the HDMI Control (RIHD) Off/On setting...

"When the setting is set to “On” and the menu is closed, the names of connected RIHD-compatible components and “RIHD On”
When the A V receiver cannot receive the name of the component, it is displayed as “Player*” or “Recorder*”, etc. (“*” shows up and indicates the number of components, when two or more are received)."

Where the heck is this displayed? Also, what in the world does the manual mean when it says "Search..." -> "(name)" -> "RIHD on"???

IMHO, this portion of the manual is worse written the the other questionable sections!
On the AV's display.
post #9937 of 10545 Old 09-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainman View Post
Just got a call from the repair center. My 818 has been repaired and is ready to be picked up. HDMI board was replaced. Tomorrow would have been two weeks since I dropped it off. Pretty damn impressed with the repair speed. Headed out to pick it up and put it back where it belongs.

I picked up a Denon AVR-X2000 that's actually been a great little receiver for the interim. I'll pull that out and box it back up.
I'm in NY and may need my 818 repaired, can you PM or email me the repair center's info. I'm in NYC as well.

Thanks!!!
post #9938 of 10545 Old 09-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

So, my 818 started acting up. Turned it on today and I have no output to my Samsung 75" 4k. It has worked flawlessly for about 18 months now. All of a sudden, no video out to my display. When output is set to Both: Main and Sub, I get output to display from the Sub out-nothing from main. Pass through is working.

I'm going to attempt to get it fixed under extended warranty that Onkyo is offering. If I don't qualify, how much would the repair cost out of pocket? I think I'd consider paying out of pocket if reasonable. I like Audessy XT32 in my environment.
post #9939 of 10545 Old 09-06-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post
So, my 818 started acting up. Turned it on today and I have no output to my Samsung 75" 4k. It has worked flawlessly for about 18 months now. All of a sudden, no video out to my display. When output is set to Both: Main and Sub, I get output to display from the Sub out-nothing from main. Pass through is working.

I'm going to attempt to get it fixed under extended warranty that Onkyo is offering. If I don't qualify, how much would the repair cost out of pocket? I think I'd consider paying out of pocket if reasonable. I like Audessy XT32 in my environment.

2 year on the Onkyo's for warranty am I wrong?
post #9940 of 10545 Old 09-07-2014, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
2 year on the Onkyo's for warranty am I wrong?
I'm going to try and get it fixed under warranty, but I am not the original owner. I bought it new from someone who received it as a replacement for a previous model that went bad. Want to have a back up in case Onkyo doesn't want to fix it.
post #9941 of 10545 Old 09-07-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post
On the AV's display.
Thanks for the reply. It was very brief, so I'm not 100% sure what you are saying. Are you saying you have personally seen the text "search", "(name)" (which I assume is the name of the CEC device), and "RIHD on" appear on the 818's front display?

Any other responses from people with experience using CEC with the 818 are appreciate also.
post #9942 of 10545 Old 09-07-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. It was very brief, so I'm not 100% sure what you are saying. Are you saying you have personally seen the text "search", "(name)" (which I assume is the name of the CEC device), and "RIHD on" appear on the 818's front display?

Any other responses from people with experience using CEC with the 818 are appreciate also.
Sorry if it was brief. Yeah that's what I'm saying. With a PS4, and a SONY TV. The RIHD stuff is printed on the AV's display but you must enable HDMI Control on the AV.
post #9943 of 10545 Old 09-07-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by na300zx View Post
Just purchased the Denon 4520CI at Best Buy. Would you consider this an upgrade over the 818? I have the Polk Monitor 75t, CS2 Center, 45b Bookshelf with (2) Dayton 1200 Sub woofers. The 818 has performed amazing for me. However, the 4520 was the flagship receiver for Denon. Thoughts guys? Pros/Cons?
I would consider that an upgrade. It has Audyssey MultEQ XT32, Audyssey Dynamic Volume, Audyssey Dynamic EQ, Audyssey DSX, Audyssey Sub EQ HT, Audyssey LFC, and Audyssey ProEQ. You have 9.2 discrete channels, and all are powered by 150 watts. 4K pass through and 4K upscaling.

If it can support Atmos with a firmware upgrade, then I might have to pick one up myself.

post #9944 of 10545 Old 09-07-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post
Sorry if it was brief. Yeah that's what I'm saying. With a PS4, and a SONY TV. The RIHD stuff is printed on the AV's display but you must enable HDMI Control on the AV.
Thanks. And testing out CEC with a PS4 is exactly what I'm trying to do... but didn't have any success.

Are you able to control the PS4 (core menus, Bluray functionality) with the 818's remote? I haven't had any luck with that. Although it does seem that if I turn on the PS4, the rest of the system turns on.
post #9945 of 10545 Old 09-07-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
I would consider that an upgrade. It has Audyssey MultEQ XT32, Audyssey Dynamic Volume, Audyssey Dynamic EQ, Audyssey DSX, Audyssey Sub EQ HT, Audyssey LFC, and Audyssey ProEQ. You have 9.2 discrete channels, and all are powered by 150 watts. 4K pass through and 4K upscaling.

If it can support Atmos with a firmware upgrade, then I might have to pick one up myself.

Darn, I might consider that over the 929.
post #9946 of 10545 Old 09-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 37
There is one of these listed for sale on craigslist for $400 ... is that a good deal?

I have a Denon 3802 and am using the front channel pre-outs to my monoblocks ... looking to jump to hdmi (no hdmi on my denon) and my big thing is 7.1 sound quality for movies only. I've read that X32 is what I need in terms of audio setup and this has that, so ...

Would this be a good upgrade for $400?
post #9947 of 10545 Old 09-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

I reset my 818 last night and both audio and video are playing the way they should. I'll monitor it and se if it happens again before contacting Onkyo for warranty support. If I send it now they will probably say it's fine and just return it.
post #9948 of 10545 Old 09-08-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
There is one of these listed for sale on craigslist for $400 ... is that a good deal?

I have a Denon 3802 and am using the front channel pre-outs to my monoblocks ... looking to jump to hdmi (no hdmi on my denon) and my big thing is 7.1 sound quality for movies only. I've read that X32 is what I need in terms of audio setup and this has that, so ...

Would this be a good upgrade for $400?
If it works, it is. That's an awful low price that would make me suspicious. Make sure to thoroughly check it.
Tangled Cable likes this.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
PSA V3600I
Marantz SR7008 with TK421 Modification
Emotiva XPA-5
Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Oppo UDP-203
post #9949 of 10545 Old 09-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
If it works, it is. That's an awful low price that would make me suspicious. Make sure to thoroughly check it.
Thanks for responding, Tom.

I wrote the guy and this is what he said:
I'm selling it tonight. If that doesn't happen I will reply back. In regards to your questions, I believe it falls under the extended warranty by Onkyo. I have had it for two years and the HDMI board failed. The company I purchased it from took it back no questions asked and sent it off for repair. I have since tested it and it works fine. I have everything except the original box. I don't do in home demo unfortunately but as I understand the need to test electronics I'm willing to compromise.

Assuming he doesn't sell it tonight, I guess my concern now would be: if the hdmi board failed after two years, what's to say the replacement board won't fail after another two years? What caused that board to fail in the first place?Design flaw?
post #9950 of 10545 Old 09-08-2014, 02:14 PM

I have one for sale and I am looking to get $550 out of it. It has no issues whatsoever and still has 3 months of factory warranty and a square trade warranty that will expire next December. Will also include the Onkyo wireless adapter. Does this sound like a good asking price?
post #9951 of 10545 Old 09-08-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
Thanks for responding, Tom.

I wrote the guy and this is what he said:
I'm selling it tonight. If that doesn't happen I will reply back. In regards to your questions, I believe it falls under the extended warranty by Onkyo. I have had it for two years and the HDMI board failed. The company I purchased it from took it back no questions asked and sent it off for repair. I have since tested it and it works fine. I have everything except the original box. I don't do in home demo unfortunately but as I understand the need to test electronics I'm willing to compromise.

Assuming he doesn't sell it tonight, I guess my concern now would be: if the hdmi board failed after two years, what's to say the replacement board won't fail after another two years? What caused that board to fail in the first place?Design flaw?
Accessories4less.com has it in stock for $549.99. Factory refurbished with a 1 yr manufacturer's warranty. They have the 929 for 799.00 if you want to spring for a little more. The ad on craigslist sounds fishy, I would stay away.

PSA V3600I
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo UDP-203
post #9952 of 10545 Old 09-08-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by na300zx View Post
I have one for sale and I am looking to get $550 out of it. It has no issues whatsoever and still has 3 months of factory warranty and a square trade warranty that will expire next December. Will also include the Onkyo wireless adapter. Does this sound like a good asking price?
Sounds like a good price to me since you're including a warranty. Good luck selling.

PSA V3600I
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo UDP-203
post #9953 of 10545 Old 09-08-2014, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Accessories4less.com has it in stock for $549.99. Factory refurbished with a 1 yr manufacturer's warranty. They have the 929 for 799.00 if you want to spring for a little more. The ad on craigslist sounds fishy, I would stay away.
Hey Tom, The unit belongs to me and while you are certainly entitled to your opinion, the reason the unit is going so cheap is because you can get a refurb at ACC4less and I had been trying to sell it on craigslist for a while with no takers. So I lowered the price primarily because the unit is now working again (thanks to the onkyo ext warranty)however maybe it will work for a long time to come or not. It seems reasonable to sell it for a lower price. I have a new avr so I don't have to recoup my loss.
post #9954 of 10545 Old 09-08-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^No worries, didn't know it was one of our own trying to sell their unit. If you haven't already, list it in the classifieds section. Good luck selling.

PSA V3600I
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo UDP-203
post #9955 of 10545 Old 09-08-2014, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
^No worries, didn't know it was one of our own trying to sell their unit. If you haven't already, list it in the classifieds section. Good luck selling.
It's all good Tom I understand.
post #9956 of 10545 Old 09-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardinguy100 View Post
It's all good Tom I understand.
I wondered if it was somewhere from here selling. Same thing happened when I bought my Oppo. Very nice AVS member. Definitely makes me feel more secure in buying.

I'm guessing you've sold it already, but if not, boardinguy, let me know ...
post #9957 of 10545 Old 09-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 63
$400 if in good condition is a pretty nice price

I just sent mine in, under warranty. Hdmi no sound issue. I did a factory reset first, it sis not help. Expect to be without a unit for at least 2 weeks... Which really sux during football season

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

________
Ltek

setup: Kodi, Paradigm-Velodyne-SVS, 120" DIY Spandex Screen, Sony 45ES
post #9958 of 10545 Old 09-08-2014, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 36
HDMI board issue is like the flu that you think only happens to others until it happens to you!

Truly unfortunate issue for an otherwise fine receiver.
post #9959 of 10545 Old 09-10-2014, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Power Relay

A few times in the last month, the 818 wouldn't come on and the standby light was not even on. Then all of a sudden it would turn on by itself, but with no consistent pattern. Took it to the repair shop under warranty and picked it up last night. They said it was a bad power relay. Will see how it goes once I put everything back together.
post #9960 of 10545 Old 09-11-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i had an issue a couple times in the last few days where there was no sound (but video) over both hdmi and optical. the first time, just cycling the power with the remote fixed it. the second time i actually had to pull the power to do a complete "reboot" of the receiver.
does this sound like the unfortunate hdmi/network chip problem? or maybe it was just a temporary glitch/lockup on the receiver? i'm hoping for the later but i am eligible for the repair if need be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page