Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 333 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9961 of 9977 Old 09-11-2014, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i had an issue a couple times in the last few days where there was no sound (but video) over both hdmi and optical. the first time, just cycling the power with the remote fixed it. the second time i actually had to pull the power to do a complete "reboot" of the receiver.
does this sound like the unfortunate hdmi/network chip problem? or maybe it was just a temporary glitch/lockup on the receiver? i'm hoping for the later but i am eligible for the repair if need be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9962 of 9977 Old 09-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Same thing happened to mine... Power off and on fixed it for two weeks, then it becomes permanent. Waiting for my unit to get returned from service now

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
post #9963 of 9977 Old 09-12-2014, 07:12 AM

Liked: 0
Question

I just recently acquired tx-nr818 and had a question. When I setup "game1" I want it to only output audio (and video of course) through HDMI. However when I set it to TV speakers, all of my other sources (ie, cd) only output through the TV. How do I setup individual outputs for each of the sources. I have gone through the manual and can't seem to figure it out.

Hopefully my question is clear.
post #9964 of 9977 Old 09-13-2014, 07:58 AM

I had the same issue. Repair center (which happens to be 15 minutes from my house) currently has my 818. Hopefully the turnaround time is quick. They received it on the 11th.
post #9965 of 9977 Old 09-13-2014, 10:31 AM

Weird, same thing started happening to me 2 days ago, so came to this thread to see if it's happened to others in the past.
Pulling the plug seems (so far) to always fix the problem. Sometimes just turning it on and off fixes it. There have been no changes to my setup in months.Everything is via HDMI and it affects any of the inputs I select.
Odd that it's happened to 3 of us all at the same time, was hoping to get 1 more year out of this receiver until the true 4k receivers were released.

edit - thanks for the link earlier in the thread about the official statement from Onkyo about this issue and recall info.

Last edited by Grayswandir; 09-13-2014 at 10:47 AM.
post #9966 of 9977 Old 09-14-2014, 11:09 AM

argh, it keeps doing it. not too happy about having to ship it out and trust fedex to be gentle with it
anyhow, since it seems to be happening to a lot of people, the service/recall link is at http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php
post #9967 of 9977 Old 09-14-2014, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Send us your receiver in a prepaid box and label that we will provide at no cost to you

Looks like Onkyo is paying for the shipping both ways.

is there any way to pull up serial number on the unit without ripping it out of rack?

Last edited by NODES; 09-14-2014 at 09:36 PM.
post #9968 of 9977 Old 09-15-2014, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for posting this link tofurky.

Mine is still 100% flawless but it's good to know Onkyo has effectively extended its warranty for this particular problem through 2018. I'll want to upgrade well before then anyway.
post #9969 of 9977 Old 09-15-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
is there any way to pull up serial number on the unit without ripping it out of rack?
i used my cell phone camera to get the serial number. took several tries to get it in focus.
post #9970 of 9977 Old 09-17-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Problem with Onkyo Net Features

Sorry that this isn't related to what you were all talking about in the previous replies...

But, All of a sudden, nothing over network works with this receiver. Not the internet radio or my iPhone remote app. I am very disappointed. I was able to ping it's IP address from my macbook pro. It HAS an IP address and sees the gateway. Has a subnet mask and Hardware/MAC address. Another weird thing. I have a USB laptop fan on top of the unit for extra cooling plugged into the rear USB port. It usually shuts off with the unit, it doesn't anymore. Would a factory reset fix these issues?
post #9971 of 9977 Old 09-17-2014, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde83 View Post
Sorry that this isn't related to what you were all talking about in the previous replies...

But, All of a sudden, nothing over network works with this receiver. Not the internet radio or my iPhone remote app. I am very disappointed. I was able to ping it's IP address from my macbook pro. It HAS an IP address and sees the gateway. Has a subnet mask and Hardware/MAC address. Another weird thing. I have a USB laptop fan on top of the unit for extra cooling plugged into the rear USB port. It usually shuts off with the unit, it doesn't anymore. Would a factory reset fix these issues?

You have nothing to lose besides your settings...give it a whirl.
post #9972 of 9977 Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM

Yup, tried it last night. It worked! Network is back.
post #9973 of 9977 Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 279
hey guys ,had an issue with my 818 ,after calibrating 7.1 klipsch system the next day i turn the unit on and it shows 5.1 losing the fh channels just weird ......any thoughts on this ,i am gonna recalibrate on the weekend
post #9974 of 9977 Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

Liked: 16
My 818 has just developed some problems with the audio from the centre speaker - it cuts in and out. Its been happening for a few days, but has just now become unbearable.

I haven't changed or moved anything, and I will be checking all my connections, wiring etc, but I was wondering if this might be a larger problem?

A few days ago I kept losing sound altogether, but a power on/off cycle worked.

I'm getting a little worried.

Behringer B212XL (x3), Axiom QS8 (x2), SVS PC12 NSD, PB1000 (x2) . Onkyo TX-NR818. Mini DSP 2x4. Sony BDP-S3200. Samsung PS50B650 . Epson 8350 Projector, Grandview pulldown 92" screen, Aura Bass Shakers (x3).
post #9975 of 9977 Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
^^^
You should.
It sounds like the infamous hdmi board issue.
Try to give Onkyo a call and see if they can fix it at no cost to you.

Receiver: Denon AVR-4520CISpeakers:Fronts: Polk Rti A7 /Center: Polk csiA6 /Surrounds: Polk Fxi A6SUB: Rythmik LV12R X2Source: Pioneer BDP62FDDisplay:Panasonic TC P50S60[/SIZE]
post #9976 of 9977 Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by runcliffyrun View Post
My 818 has just developed some problems with the audio from the centre speaker - it cuts in and out. Its been happening for a few days, but has just now become unbearable.

I haven't changed or moved anything, and I will be checking all my connections, wiring etc, but I was wondering if this might be a larger problem?

A few days ago I kept losing sound altogether, but a power on/off cycle worked.

I'm getting a little worried.
sorry to hear that run ,is it an audio cutoff during cable /sat tv ?could be the reception i get that on certain channels as well .if your getting it while playing games and music then an hdmi board problem and like previous poster said ,a service call is needed
cheers
post #9977 of 9977 Old Today, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde83 View Post
Yup, tried it last night. It worked! Network is back.
If anything like mine, the problem will return, repeatedly. Don't factory reset, though. Pull the power plug for a couple of minutes and network should return.

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page