Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 334 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9991 of 10016 Old 10-08-2014, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, my Onkyo 818 briefly burst into flames a few months after I got it. Was repaired at my local authorized repair center.

Got it back, after like a day it shut off in the middle of playing a game on my PS4 and wouldn't boot back up. They replaced the SR channel.

Got it back, not long after that the unit worked, but sound stopped coming out of the SR speaker. Sent it to the regional repair center instead of my local one at Onkyo's request.

Just got it back, I didn't even get through Audyssey calibration before the unit cut out again and wouldn't turn on again. I left it off for a while, and unlike the other time this happened, it now boots up again. (EDIT: Nevermind, I went downstairs and the unit was off again - and this time I smelled smoke. The rear speakers weren't even plugged in as I had removed them right it shut off the first time, and it wasn't even playing anything).

I have no idea what's going on. The repair places keep suggesting I have a bad speaker or wiring, but between repairs I re-did the wiring and switched the SR speaker over to SL and it never had an issue on that side.

I'm using Infinity Primus speakers (P362 L/R, PC350 C, P163 SR and SL) with an Emotiva XPA-3 3-channel amp for the front three speakers.

Last edited by Shocked; 10-08-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 10016 Old 10-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 45
go back to basic's and try running the speakers all from the Onkyo.

Try maybe another wall socket as well....
post #9993 of 10016 Old 10-08-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
go back to basic's and try running the speakers all from the Onkyo.

Try maybe another wall socket as well....
I would but I'm afraid to turn the thing on after smelling smoke.

Any chance a bad power cable can cause problems like this?
post #9994 of 10016 Old 10-08-2014, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post
I would but I'm afraid to turn the thing on after smelling smoke.

Any chance a bad power cable can cause problems like this?

Bad cable or dirty power from the socket, there is something that is making all these related issues.

Last edited by NODES; 10-08-2014 at 07:00 PM.
post #9995 of 10016 Old 10-08-2014, 08:06 PM

Well, the darn thing turns on. How weird is that? It definitely shut off by itself (while under no stress) and I did smell something smoke-ish walking down the stairs and in my home theater. Given its history I just assumed it lit up again.

But, I took your advice and removed the amp. I did some testing before that and it seemed to work fine (minus the rear speakers, which I've removed from the equation entirely at the moment). Without the amp, though, I can't get sound out of the front right channel (the front right speaker and wire do work if I test them out of the front left channel). Not sure why the front channel this time.
post #9996 of 10016 Old 10-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wouldn't you know it, my 818 also is presenting the failed HDMI board symptoms. I have not been keeping up with the forum lately (I usually only engage when shopping for something), so I did not know there was an epidemic.

My Integra DTC 9.8 controller also has a gimpy HDMI board (it loses handshake frequently requiring a power cycle). Well out of warranty on that one.
post #9997 of 10016 Old 10-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
Wouldn't you know it, my 818 also is presenting the failed HDMI board symptoms. I have not been keeping up with the forum lately (I usually only engage when shopping for something), so I did not know there was an epidemic.

My Integra DTC 9.8 controller also has a gimpy HDMI board (it loses handshake frequently requiring a power cycle). Well out of warranty on that one.

contact Integra maybe they will do something for you...never know if you do not call. The HDMI Epidemic has been going on for YEARS! weird you never read about it before.
post #9998 of 10016 Old 10-10-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I received my packing materials, and shipped off my 818 for repair- I will report back when I receive it and the success of the repair. So far I am pleased with how Onkyo has handled this issue, even though out of original warranty. Like a previous poster stated, they even shipped a roll of packing tape with the return box and prepaid shipping label.
post #9999 of 10016 Old 10-11-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Had my 818 for just over a year now. It's performed flawlessly in that time and it's in use pretty much when I'm at home. It's used in a 2.0 configuration, no interest in multichannel movies or music, and in any case, my home arrangement doesn't allow for that. I bought the 818 because I wanted an amplifier that would give me all of the formats I needed an amp to cater for, but without sacrificing the sound quality I'd get from a good quality stereo amp. In any case, I'd felt for some time that traditional integrateds were falling short in their capabilities for 21st century audio needs.

With the breadth of sources available, the amount of formats going and an increasing dissatisfaction in the logic employed within the "traditional" audiophile circles in the printed media and on hifi fora, I had bought Onkyo's TX-8050 networked stereo receiver back in 2011 and had been blown away by how good that sub-£500 receiver acquitted itself. Handling FLAC as it did, this was a revelation in one fell swoop. With the option on the 818 for additional formats, the means to handle DSD natively and giving me ample power to two channels as I'd ever need, with good damping factor (as good as Sansui's AU-717 which I'd also had some time ago) I didn't think Onkyo were doing a whole lot wrong.

In truth, I'm delighted by not just the functionality on offer, but the sound quality which is excellent. It excels with music, movies and whatever else I throw at it (internet radio, PS3 games, streaming, etc...). For the money I paid, it was a steal. One of the best amps I've owned and I've been through a few and auditioned plenty more. The only thing I'd change it for would most likely be another Onkyo AV amp or a hobbyist whim for an AVI Lab Series amp or an Onkyo A933. Job, as it were, done.
post #10000 of 10016 Old 10-11-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by record_spot View Post
Had my 818 for just over a year now. It's performed flawlessly in that time and it's in use pretty much when I'm at home. It's used in a 2.0 configuration, no interest in multichannel movies or music, and in any case, my home arrangement doesn't allow for that. I bought the 818 because I wanted an amplifier that would give me all of the formats I needed an amp to cater for, but without sacrificing the sound quality I'd get from a good quality stereo amp. In any case, I'd felt for some time that traditional integrateds were falling short in their capabilities for 21st century audio needs.

With the breadth of sources available, the amount of formats going and an increasing dissatisfaction in the logic employed within the "traditional" audiophile circles in the printed media and on hifi fora, I had bought Onkyo's TX-8050 networked stereo receiver back in 2011 and had been blown away by how good that sub-£500 receiver acquitted itself. Handling FLAC as it did, this was a revelation in one fell swoop. With the option on the 818 for additional formats, the means to handle DSD natively and giving me ample power to two channels as I'd ever need, with good damping factor (as good as Sansui's AU-717 which I'd also had some time ago) I didn't think Onkyo were doing a whole lot wrong.

In truth, I'm delighted by not just the functionality on offer, but the sound quality which is excellent. It excels with music, movies and whatever else I throw at it (internet radio, PS3 games, streaming, etc...). For the money I paid, it was a steal. One of the best amps I've owned and I've been through a few and auditioned plenty more. The only thing I'd change it for would most likely be another Onkyo AV amp or a hobbyist whim for an AVI Lab Series amp or an Onkyo A933. Job, as it were, done.
You know I'm suprized you didn't end what you said with "it worked perfect up until now" I see that a lot. Damn Onkyo

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #10001 of 10016 Old 10-12-2014, 04:31 PM

Liked: 11
I've had mine for over a year now and it's been working without any problems so far. Fingers crossed. I replaced a 707 with it that did have the hdmi board problem. I boxed it up but never got to calling onkyo to see if it could get repaired. I doubt they'll do anything to that 707 now?

Typed from Nexus 5, ZFFZ
post #10002 of 10016 Old 10-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaliscojorge View Post
I've had mine for over a year now and it's been working without any problems so far. Fingers crossed. I replaced a 707 with it that did have the hdmi board problem. I boxed it up but never got to calling onkyo to see if it could get repaired. I doubt they'll do anything to that 707 now?

Typed from Nexus 5, ZFFZ

call
jaliscojorge likes this.
post #10003 of 10016 Old 10-12-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
call
Or input the serial number on the website.
If it's part of the recall...it's either a secondary/bedroom receiver, or a quick sale...either way you're ahead.
jaliscojorge likes this.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #10004 of 10016 Old 10-12-2014, 07:40 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks fellows, I'll make the call to see what they say.

Typed from Nexus 5, ZFFZ
post #10005 of 10016 Old 10-18-2014, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My Receiver loses network capabilities randomly ever since shortly after i got it in January of 2012. When browsing the "symptoms list" at Onkyo's support site, the option isn't listed to match exactly what my problem is, but this recall describes exactly what I experience.

"This program is for Onkyo USA customers who are currently experiencing the loss of audio or network capabilities on their receiver."

My receiver's display and the OSD to TV are both blank whenever I try to use NET functions. To me, that is a complete loss of network capabilities.

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
post #10006 of 10016 Old 10-18-2014, 06:36 PM

A new question.
Today I picked up my very first turntable from a local vintage shop, a Pioneer PL-41. Everything worked at the shop, but when I hook it up to my system, I get no audio from the left channel. Being my first TT, I'm not real certain what is the problem, but from some google searches, it looks might it might be the 818's built in phono preamp? Since everything worked at the stop, I can't imagine it being cartridge or built-in RCAs? I definitely remember seeing (and hearing) the guy turn the Balance knob on his test bench, so I'm 99.8% certain both channels are being output.

Last edited by RPGMasta; 10-18-2014 at 07:57 PM. Reason: double post, but unrelated question added
post #10007 of 10016 Old 10-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMasta View Post
My Receiver loses network capabilities randomly ever since shortly after i got it in January of 2012. When browsing the "symptoms list" at Onkyo's support site, the option isn't listed to match exactly what my problem is, but this recall describes exactly what I experience.

"This program is for Onkyo USA customers who are currently experiencing the loss of audio or network capabilities on their receiver."

My receiver's display and the OSD to TV are both blank whenever I try to use NET functions. To me, that is a complete loss of network capabilities.

check your serial number it might be on the recall list.
post #10008 of 10016 Old 10-18-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
check your serial number it might be on the recall list.
Yea, you must enter your serial and choose from a list of symptoms. The majority of the options don't relate to network functionality. If I choose that I lose HDMI video, it says I do not qualify. Mine will only say "no signal" when trying to select my cable input if I turn my Bluray player on before the cable box.

If I select that "network settings is greyed out in the set-up menu", I can proceed to the trade up program/request return step.

post #10009 of 10016 Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have had my 818 since its release and love it. No major issues. I just got a Vizio 70" M series TV and cannot get ARC to work. I've set it up with the previous Samsung, so I know my receiver is working-and I know how to implement it. Has anyone else had trouble with ARC from Vizio to the 818? I'm trying to determine if it is a known issue with the way Vizio implements ARC or if it is something wrong with my new TV.

Secondly, the codes embedded in the Receiver's database for the Vizio TV don't work. I cannot get the Onkyo remote to work the TV's power or volume. I use the Onkyo Remote as my universal remote. Any other codes you guys have gotten to work?

Thanks!
post #10010 of 10016 Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post
Have had my 818 since its release and love it. No major issues. I just got a Vizio 70" M series TV and cannot get ARC to work. I've set it up with the previous Samsung, so I know my receiver is working-and I know how to implement it. Has anyone else had trouble with ARC from Vizio to the 818? I'm trying to determine if it is a known issue with the way Vizio implements ARC or if it is something wrong with my new TV.

Secondly, the codes embedded in the Receiver's database for the Vizio TV don't work. I cannot get the Onkyo remote to work the TV's power or volume. I use the Onkyo Remote as my universal remote. Any other codes you guys have gotten to work?

Thanks!
I had a Vizio 70" e series which I got two work maybe twice via ARC (I never kept it enabled, only the few times I used the apps) but most of the time I could not get it to work. I now have the M series and didn't even bother with it. Use my Roku for all streaming so haven't even checked on the apps on this set. My guess is it is a Vizio problem.
post #10011 of 10016 Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
I had a Vizio 70" e series which I got two work maybe twice via ARC (I never kept it enabled, only the few times I used the apps) but most of the time I could not get it to work. I now have the M series and didn't even bother with it. Use my Roku for all streaming so haven't even checked on the apps on this set. My guess is it is a Vizio problem.
Thanks PrimeTime...I have an Oppo 103,an AppleTV, and an HTPC in my setup. So I have plenty of ways to get Netflix over my system. I just hate when things don't work as they should. If you some time and ever want to give ARC a try on your M Series, I'd be curious to see if it works. I'd greatly appreciate it.
post #10012 of 10016 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post
Thanks PrimeTime...I have an Oppo 103,an AppleTV, and an HTPC in my setup. So I have plenty of ways to get Netflix over my system. I just hate when things don't work as they should. If you some time and ever want to give ARC a try on your M Series, I'd be curious to see if it works. I'd greatly appreciate it.
I won't be able to test for you since I have a long, rigid hdmi cable with a large connector and it won't fit in the ARC port on the Vizio. I have to use HDMI4 on the side.
post #10013 of 10016 Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
I won't be able to test for you since I have a long, rigid hdmi cable with a large connector and it won't fit in the ARC port on the Vizio. I have to use HDMI4 on the side.
ok, thanks anyway.
post #10014 of 10016 Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yea, you must enter your serial and choose from a list of symptoms. The majority of the options don't relate to network functionality. If I choose that I lose HDMI video, it says I do not qualify. Mine will only say "no signal" when trying to select my cable input if I turn my Bluray player on before the cable box.

If I select that "network settings is greyed out in the set-up menu", I can proceed to the trade up program/request return step.

Have you done a factory reset of the unit?
post #10015 of 10016 Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Have you done a factory reset of the unit?
yessir, not recently, but the network problem still comes back

post #10016 of 10016 Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
yessir, not recently, but the network problem still comes back

There is a recall of sorts on the Network chip, give Onkyo a call.
RPGMasta likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com