Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 338 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

D-Rex's Avatar D-Rex
05:05 PM Liked: 10
post #10111 of 10116
Yesterday | Posts: 47
Can anyone provide me some trouble shooting pointers to determine if I have a real problem with my receiver or if I have somehow diverted the sound away from my main speakers? I can't get sound from any of my devices, such as the cable box, the blu ray player, or the CD player. I was once streaming Pandora but I can't get the NET button to even pull it up anymore. Is it something I have done or the receiver? Thanks!
NODES's Avatar NODES
06:51 PM Liked: 76
post #10112 of 10116
Yesterday | Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rex View Post
Can anyone provide me some trouble shooting pointers to determine if I have a real problem with my receiver or if I have somehow diverted the sound away from my main speakers? I can't get sound from any of my devices, such as the cable box, the blu ray player, or the CD player. I was once streaming Pandora but I can't get the NET button to even pull it up anymore. Is it something I have done or the receiver? Thanks!

no sound or net functions usually means the HDMI board is pooched.

Try doing couple of factory resets.
zeus33's Avatar zeus33
09:47 PM Liked: 259
post #10113 of 10116
Yesterday | Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rex View Post

Sounds like it might be time for a repair. Read this: Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018
D-Rex's Avatar D-Rex
11:22 PM Liked: 10
post #10114 of 10116
Yesterday | Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Sounds like it might be time for a repair. Read this: Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

Yes, after two resets, I suspect this may be my problem! Thanks for the responses guys! Your help is greatly appreciated!
TheRealDeal1's Avatar TheRealDeal1
04:26 PM Liked: 10
post #10115 of 10116
Today | Posts: 169
I too experience issues with lost audio on the TX NR818. Up to this point it has been rock solid. I updated the firmware to the latest just to be sure that wouldn't fix the issue. No dice. Unplugging the power cable for 10 minutes seemed to fix the issue for about two weeks but after that no amount of unplugging the power would fix it. Checked the network settings in the GUI and, sure enough, it was greyed out. After reading here about the bad network chip warranty return program, I headed over to Onkyo's site and filled out the form. Onkyo sent me out a box in a little over a week. I packed it real good and sent it back with the prepayed shipping sticker. They didn't even require a copy of the receipt. Tracking says that Onkyo revceived it and shipped it back in two days. I finally had a chance to open the box today and look inside. The HDMI board has the "NEW" sticker over the TI chip like other posters have described. I gotta say, the turnaround time is great. When my Denon Avr3311ci started having issues, I had to pay the return shipping for warranty repair and wait a few months for it to be fixed and returned.

I saved the Onkyo TX NR818 configuration to internal memory before I sent the unit in. There was a little note inside the return packaging that says the unit has been reset back to factory default. I take this to mean a microprocessor reset. I'm wondering if the configuration I saved to internal memory will still be there for reload so I don't have to find my microphone and do the Audyssey configuration again. With the Denon, I was able to save the configuration via the web interface to my laptop and reload it when it returned.
coli's Avatar coli
06:39 PM Liked: 32
post #10116 of 10116
Today | Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post
Does your setup involve an incoming coax for cable/satellite? As an installer I have found many situations where a hum/buzz was introduced in to a system. Many came after adding a component, such as your amplifier, but ended up coming from a source that seemed unrelated to the amp. Adding the amp is what set off the problem in another area of the system.

You said, "the company that made my amp." Was is a custom build? Have you tried an ordinary, mass-produced amp just to see? I have found that most gear I buy ultimately costs me nothing. I research and buy in at a price I know I can sell it for in the future. Find a reliable amp with good resale value. You won't know till you try. Then we'll help you troubleshoot.
HDMI cable can cause hum too.
Tags: Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey

Gear in this thread
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread