Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 339 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #10141 of 10155 Old 01-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlukosk View Post
Hello all-

My trusty Onkyo TX-SR806 blew the back left channel and the HDMI board is shot. I took it in for service and they want $400 to fix 2 transistors and replace the HDMI board! So I'm looking to get something new(er) and upgrade a bit at the same time.

Should I jump on a deal to buy a mint condition TX-NR818? I have no idea if the HDMI board has been replaced on it yet. The warranty coverage until 2018 would be nice to have! The 818 appears to have an amazing feature set. Especially XT32!!

My logical side is trying to convince me to stay away from Onkyo based on what I'm reading about the 818 and my own experience with my 806. However, I can't find anything in the 818's price range with the same features..

Is everyone here still happy with their decision to purchase the TX-NR818?
I am very happy with my TX-NR818, its a powerhouse packed with features. That said it is only missing one feature that I may miss in the future but not currently, 4K/UHD pass through. If that is not an issue then go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10142 of 10155 Old 01-22-2015, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
I am very happy with my TX-NR818, its a powerhouse packed with features. That said it is only missing one feature that I may miss in the future but not currently, 4K/UHD pass through. If that is not an issue then go for it.
Can you clarify the pass-through capability?

So, the 818 can take 480/720/1080 and then scale it up to 4K.

If I was to ever get a 4k source and plug it in, the 818 would still be able to display it, but not without adding processing? Or is it not even able to display a native 4k source?

I don't plan on moving to 4k any time soon. I suppose if I did I could send the 4k stream directly to the display and send audio through the 818.
post #10143 of 10155 Old 01-22-2015, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Can you clarify the pass-through capability?

So, the 818 can take 480/720/1080 and then scale it up to 4K.

If I was to ever get a 4k source and plug it in, the 818 would still be able to display it, but not without adding processing? Or is it not even able to display a native 4k source?

I don't plan on moving to 4k any time soon. I suppose if I did I could send the 4k stream directly to the display and send audio through the 818.
It is not capable of passing a native 4K signal through the AVR but it can upscale.

Also no Atmos or DTS X support but I don't know if I really want that I have a TX-NR636 to test Atmos out and still haven't I hooked it up so yeah.
post #10144 of 10155 Old 01-22-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
It is not capable of passing a native 4K signal through the AVR but it can upscale.

Also no Atmos or DTS X support but I don't know if I really want that I have a TX-NR636 to test Atmos out and still haven't I hooked it up so yeah.
That's a bummer.

I guess I have to decide if losing XT32 just to gain 4K pass-through is worth it. I don't have a 4K display and don't plan on purchasing one for a couple of years.. Hmm... Choices..
post #10145 of 10155 Old 01-22-2015, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's a bummer.

I guess I have to decide if losing XT32 just to gain 4K pass-through is worth it. I don't have a 4K display and don't plan on purchasing one for a couple of years.. Hmm... Choices..
I would say if buying "now" go with the TX-NR818 and wait a few years for the 4K AVR to get their ducks in a row. You know there will be a lot a new features that will roll out and they will not work with the 4K AVR's of today.
post #10146 of 10155 Old 01-22-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I would say if buying "now" go with the TX-NR818 and wait a few years for the 4K AVR to get their ducks in a row. You know there will be a lot a new features that will roll out and they will not work with the 4K AVR's of today.
Well, I just purchased the 818! I'm excited!
post #10147 of 10155 Old 01-22-2015, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone here know how were supposed to EDITor user info inside the siruisxm net.My acount info has changed but i can not for the friggin life of me get to delete or edit the existing non working one.,,confused and gonna have a stroke if i cant figure it.. its pissing me off...Help me

post #10148 of 10155 Old 01-23-2015, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Dynamic EQ... Nope

Just posting to say I've given up on Dynamic EQ for all sources except for Blurays.

Yes, I know you can adjust the 0,5,10,15 dB thingy but I've found it really just isn't good for anything other than moves.

It's bad for any video game where the audio moves around the surround system. DynamicEQ inherently ends up boosting the surrounds and destroys the mix. Sure, it could work for some games... but I don't want to be turning it on and off per game.

I have a similar problem with TV. If found the surround is too much...

After leaving it off for a month, I don't miss it at all for non-movie material.
post #10149 of 10155 Old 01-23-2015, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Hello all-

My trusty Onkyo TX-SR806 blew the back left channel and the HDMI board is shot. I took it in for service and they want $400 to fix 2 transistors and replace the HDMI board! So I'm looking to get something new(er) and upgrade a bit at the same time.

Should I jump on a deal to buy a mint condition TX-NR818? I have no idea if the HDMI board has been replaced on it yet. The warranty coverage until 2018 would be nice to have! The 818 appears to have an amazing feature set. Especially XT32!!

My logical side is trying to convince me to stay away from Onkyo based on what I'm reading about the 818 and my own experience with my 806. However, I can't find anything in the 818's price range with the same features..

Is everyone here still happy with their decision to purchase the TX-NR818?
i love mine, and sent it in for the updated fix before it went out. got it back in a week and all is good. if you don't have any desire to jump on th atmos/4k bandwagon any time soon, then heck yeah i'd by another 818 in a heartbeat.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #10150 of 10155 Old 01-24-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyo View Post
Anyone here know how were supposed to EDITor user info inside the siruisxm net.My acount info has changed but i can not for the friggin life of me get to delete or edit the existing non working one.,,confused and gonna have a stroke if i cant figure it.. its pissing me off...Help me
I suspect you have figured it out now. I use a browser and enter the IP address of the Onkyo, and it will bring up a page where you can edit that stuff. It's on one of the tabs.
post #10151 of 10155 Old 01-24-2015, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have been following this thread since it's inception. I have had the TXNR 818 for a few years and have always enjoyed its ability to produce precise, non-tiring sound to my Klipsch RF -7 / RB -81 / RB-61 via the combination of Audyssey room correction ONKYO processing. I now us The ONKYO mostly for a pre-processor into one Crown, amp two Emotiva amps, and of course the HSU sub amp. I use the ONKYO 818 amplifier for the high channels and the back channels (mutually exclusive in the 818 setup) - yielding 9.2 in Audyssey and other modes, and 11.2 Stereo.

I get two channel FLAC files from my PC USB via a SCHIIT DAC directly into one of the ONKYO 818 analog ports, and use Apple TV, Samsung blu-ray, and DirectTV to ONKYO HDMI for video /audio to a Panasonic Plasma TV.

I had just recently started to experience intermittent sound loss from the ONKYO 818 when the unit was powered on - although correctable with on-off cycling, it seemed to be getting worse. I toyed with retiring the unit but decided to take ONKYO up on their fix program. As others have stated, ONKYO sent me the packing box and shipping label, and I got the unit back from repair door-to-door in less than 10 days - Texas to Illinois - amazing.

The sound and picture are fabulous, and I'm doubtful that I could reproduce (for my taste) for less than a top-of-line pre-processor from ONKYO or Marantz. In any case , this experience has renewed my faith in ONKYO.
primetimeguy and airgas1998 like this.
post #10152 of 10155 Old 01-26-2015, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Welp, I've had mine back from the repair for a couple of weeks and it has started doing the NET disappearing act again.

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
post #10153 of 10155 Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
how can I use my DAC plugged into the front AUX input (or any analog input) playing music off the HTPC plugged in the PC HDMI input?

basically, i just want to see the Monitor (TV), but Audio would not be HDMI, would be Analog.

when i change to AUX input I lose the monitor.

this receiver works really well for movies, sounds dull for 2 channel music, trying an external DAC to see what happens.

thanks for any help on this.
post #10154 of 10155 Old Today, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post
how can I use my DAC plugged into the front AUX input (or any analog input) playing music off the HTPC plugged in the PC HDMI input?

basically, i just want to see the Monitor (TV), but Audio would not be HDMI, would be Analog.

this receiver works really well for movies, sounds dull for 2 channel music, trying an external DAC to see what happens.

Maybe you need better sources? Music sounds great here. Try using Pure Audio.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #10155 of 10155 Old Today, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post

I would work with the settings in the 818. The audible difference in the DAC will be minimal if any at all.

Have you tried the Audyssey Music curve for music?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page