Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 340 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #10171 of 10215 Old 02-12-2015, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I have to say that I have been "taken down" by the various symptoms folks have had over the past months.....

To refresh people I will relay my experiences.....

I really LOVE the 818....works well with my projector, PS3/4, tuner stuff......after Audyssey
the sound field was excellent!!!

There were some "inconveniences" between the HDMI "speed" between selecting sources but aside from the minor, what I would call "hand off" issues it was one of the best Receivers I have had.

Fast forward to a few months ago.....strange "drop outs" of sound but only a fraction of a second. Totally acceptable for movie watching but it ticked me off a bit.

Now last week we started the theater room up and behold....the dreaded NO SOUND but VIDEO!
-- Turned off the DirecTV source and back on....whammo SOUND and VIDEO!!! Happy camper!
-- Several days later same symptoms happened and I tried recycling all the sources and the 818.....whammo....SOUND and VIDEO.
-- Two days ago same symptoms but alas nothing worked so I attempted unplugging the 818 for an hour. This did not work
-- A factory reset fixed the problem for a day but nothing I can do can get the sound back.

Another symptom was absolutely NO sound from any source. No speakers were showing on the display either.

Frustrated I started looking at other Receivers in an attempt to get our theater room back up and running.

It was posted earlier that there is a "RECALL" of sorts on the 818. WHOO HOO! Glad Onkyo is addressing the problem and hopefully it will fix the issue.....

Onkyo ALSO has "TRADE IN" program.........For me it is $200 of the purchase of a newer receiver.....

Would any of you go this route?
Would you fix your device?

Thoughts?

I'm only running a 5.1 system now and am happy with it.....in a couple of years I will upgrade to a 4k system and perhaps some more speakers but to be honest the 818 has been a great addition to my system so I am going to most likely go with the repair route unless folks have a compelling reason for me to take the rebate.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10172 of 10215 Old 02-12-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttboy View Post
Well I have to say that I have been "taken down" by the various symptoms folks have had over the past months.....

I really LOVE the 818....works well with my projector, PS3/4, tuner stuff......after Audyssey

There were some "inconveniences" between the HDMI "speed" between selecting sources but aside from the minor, what I would call "hand off" issues it was one of the best Receivers I have had.

Fast forward to a few months ago.....strange "drop outs" of sound but only a fraction of a second. Totally acceptable for movie watching but it ticked me off a bit.

Now last week we started the theater room up and behold....the dreaded NO SOUND but VIDEO!
-- Turned off the DirecTV source and back on....whammo SOUND and VIDEO!!! Happy camper!
-- Several days later same symptoms happened and I tried recycling all the sources and the 818.....whammo....SOUND and VIDEO.
-- Two days ago same symptoms but alas nothing worked so I attempted unplugging the 818 for an hour. This did not work
-- A factory reset fixed the problem for a day but nothing I can do can get the sound back.

Another symptom was absolutely NO sound from any source. No speakers were showing on the display either.

Frustrated I started looking at other Receivers in an attempt to get our theater room back up and running.

It was posted earlier that there is a "RECALL" of sorts on the 818. WHOO HOO! Glad Onkyo is addressing the problem and hopefully it will fix the issue.....

Onkyo ALSO has "TRADE IN" program.........For me it is $200 of the purchase of a newer receiver.....

Thoughts?

I'm only running a 5.1 system now and am happy with it.....in a couple of years I will upgrade to a 4k system and perhaps some more speakers but to be honest the 818 has been a great addition to my system so I am going to most likely go with the repair route unless folks have a compelling reason for me to take the rebate.

Cheers!

I sent my 818 in for repair and I strongly suggest you do that route vs the $200 "trade-in". I purchased the 636 and got it to use in-place of the 818 and even though it has true 4K HDMI compliance the sound output was no where near the 818. I plan on getting 4K (in the far -future- like when there's actually a booklist of material) so I say get it repaired.

Mine's been back up and running for @2 weeks (had no sound to my 2 subs) and I have a 7.2 set-up. So get it repaired for free - and several years from now upgrade to an equivalent AVR but with 4K and Atmos.

Cheers!

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #10173 of 10215 Old 02-12-2015, 12:51 PM

Appreciate the post!

I "bit the bullet" and did the repair option.

I love this thing! Sadly it had an issue that took our theater room down. That sucks but it is a problem we will deal with.

On a side note: The 818 replaced our PR-SC885 and the same issue occurred with it. Perhaps ONKYO needs to address these issues!

They did on the 818 but the 885 was an extreme disappointment with us. STILL haven't received any feedback from them as of late but will keep hoping I will get some random email back.

I loved the 885 and it was a "workhorse" in our media rack..........sad to see it go......

post #10174 of 10215 Old 02-12-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 36
This is my first non-Denon AVR for my theater room so I've read all the negative posts regarding Onkyo's track history so I'm "hoping" this fix does the trick and lasts another 4 years or so - at least that's my estimate on when they'll be 4K content enough to justify getting anything 4K - and that the price of the Sony 4K pj has dropped to the current HW30!!!

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #10175 of 10215 Old 02-12-2015, 01:25 PM

I am still saddened when my 885 bit the dust.

But after an Integra...then going to the 885 and now the 818 getting killed I still miss the Integra and the 885........

That being said the 818 was a great little receiver. Did it do the work that the 885? ..... no, but the Audyssey options were better in the new theater room.

I won't say that our "ANCIENT" Yamaha RX-V2095 is still kicking after AGES!!!! Still the "spare" for us now but perhaps it is time to go back to Yamaha after the issues with all the Integra/Onkyo failures as of late.....

The Yamaha is still kicking and keeping us "happy" now that the Itegra and both Onkyos have died as of late.

I loved the sound from the others but reliability is kicking me in the "proverbial ass"......

I hope the 818, when it comes from the service center will work in the interim...a search for something else is happening as we speak!

I'll still keep the ole Yamaha for situations that happen! Might take some creative wiring but lets pray the 818 gets here soon!
post #10176 of 10215 Old 02-12-2015, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Personally I would not trade my 818 for $200 - It worth more to me than that! I would get it repaired for free and either sell it (you should easy get more than $200) or just keep it until the 4k and Atoms/DTS X standards are worked out and we have plenty of content to play in another year or two :-) I have mine setup with 7.2 now and love it so much in my theater.
post #10177 of 10215 Old 02-12-2015, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Go for the repair. The 818 is worth more than $200. Also, for the trade-in, doesn't Onkyo want to charge MSRP? The difference between what you should pay for the new equipment from an authorized dealer would nullify the $200 so you're basically giving away the 818.
old corps likes this.
post #10178 of 10215 Old 02-12-2015, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 79
an 818 for $200 ?

really ?

I wouldn't part with mine for that. period.

But, I'd buy one for that in a heartbeat.... spare parts... $200.... PM me....

We never grow until we're pushed outside the boundaries we are comfortable within...
post #10179 of 10215 Old 02-14-2015, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Gentlemen,I just updated the firmware on my 818. I used Spotify a lot,saw there was a firmware update that addressed Spotify connect. The update went well ,but Spotify off my phone/tablet does not see my Onkyo 818. Does anyone know why? Do I need to open a port on my router or something? It worked fine before.
post #10180 of 10215 Old 02-14-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Forget it,I got it. Had to unplug my receiver,plug it back in. Works pretty good,but it already stopped,had to unplug it again. Wonder if its a bug or something. It worked better the way it was IMO.. grrr
post #10181 of 10215 Old 02-15-2015, 11:34 AM

Liked: 16
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but I did the most recent firmware update to add Spotify Connect as opposed to controlling Spotify through the terrible Android app and it works great!

I bought a Amazon Fire TV Stick just to incorporate Spotify Connect and it worked horribly. Was Considering buying a Gromofon off Amazon to have a reliable way to play Spotify to my receiver, but so far its working great on the Onkyo with the new firmware!

However if Spotify would have incorporated Chromecast Support a long time ago like they should have, I would have never had to deal with these headaches!!!

Just happy to have a good working solutions and wanted to give other 818 owners heads up. Spotify is how I play music 85% of the time.
post #10182 of 10215 Old 02-19-2015, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Whelp, my 818 quit working earlier this week. No sound on any inputs and "NET" options greyed out. I just got this in, purchased it on 1/22. (I knew what I was getting into and checked the serial to see if it was under extended warranty before purchasing).

It started out gradually. At first, power cycling the sources helped. Then I ended up having to pull the power cord on it. Now over lunch today I stopped at home and fired it up. Same symptoms. Pulled the power cord, no change. I just filled out the repair form and am waiting for them to send me the return box.

I've looked over some previous comments and it looks like Onkyo has a pretty quick turnaround time on repairs.

2 weeks give or take?

My experience with Onkyo receivers has been nothing but frustrating. Of course, it's all my fault for purchasing another Onkyo after my first 806 bit the dust. It took about 6 years to blow a surround channel. I figured that was par for the course and I'd give them another chance. 818 certainly didn't last as long.

Hopefully the repair process goes quickly so I can get it back up and running again.

There's nothing worse than getting used to the amazing sound of an 818 with XT32 and then having to listen to crappy TV speakers for a month..

Last edited by brlukosk; 02-19-2015 at 12:35 PM.
post #10183 of 10215 Old 02-19-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMasta View Post
Welp, I've had mine back from the repair for a couple of weeks and it has started doing the NET disappearing act again.
Any updates on this? Not comforting at all..
post #10184 of 10215 Old 02-19-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 13
DD + 5.1 input-> Only getting 3.1 output

The subject above tells what's happening to me. When I hit the display button, it does say it is DD + 5.1 input, and no matter what I select for modes, the output is 3.1.

By the way, the signal is coming in streaming from internet to Roku 3, HDMI to the AVR. I might also mention that no THX options are available.

Any suggestions on what the problem is?

[EDIT]

I do have Zone 2 and Zone 3 enabled in settings, but NOT playing. I have been of the understanding that only if I have them turned on and playing, they would take away the back channels, but not if turned off.

[EDIT2]
Well, I went into settings and turned off Zone3. Now I get 5.1.

I have to say this is disappointing. Definitely not WAF to have to go in and turn this on and off in order to use zone 3.

I suspect I may be able to create a macro for my remote to do it, but still a pain.

Last edited by Ewingr; 02-19-2015 at 03:29 PM.
post #10185 of 10215 Old 02-19-2015, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlukosk View Post
Any updates on this? Not comforting at all..
It hasn't done it again since I last posted, but I have been almost strictly listening to vinyl and not streaming anything since then, say 98% vinyl, 2% streaming. I can tell you that it takes substantially longer than before for my mobile devices to see the 818 for Spotify Connect and my JRiver apps either on the PC or Android devices.

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
post #10186 of 10215 Old 02-19-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr View Post
The subject above tells what's happening to me. When I hit the display button, it does say it is DD + 5.1 input, and no matter what I select for modes, the output is 3.1.

By the way, the signal is coming in streaming from internet to Roku 3, HDMI to the AVR. I might also mention that no THX options are available.

Any suggestions on what the problem is?

[EDIT]

I do have Zone 2 and Zone 3 enabled in settings, but NOT playing. I have been of the understanding that only if I have them turned on and playing, they would take away the back channels, but not if turned off.

[EDIT2]
Well, I went into settings and turned off Zone3. Now I get 5.1.

I have to say this is disappointing. Definitely not WAF to have to go in and turn this on and off in order to use zone 3.

I suspect I may be able to create a macro for my remote to do it, but still a pain.
I know it might be inconvenient, but an external amp would solve your issue for Zone 2 and/or 3, yes?

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
post #10187 of 10215 Old 02-22-2015, 02:38 PM

Hi, have you tried replacing your HDMI leads? All of them. I cant explain why but mine did this after the last update.. Started ticking first and noise over speakers when changing decoder etc. Then green screen and sound or no sound etc. Also got where sound was much higher than should be e.g. Numbe 5 volume like normal 40+.

Changed HDMI in November all ok since!
post #10188 of 10215 Old 02-24-2015, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Question regarding running a phantom center with xt32.

Should I run xt32 with the center active or should I disconnect it before I run it?

Also how do I go about turning off the center channel to do this?
post #10189 of 10215 Old 02-24-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 1434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post
Question regarding running a phantom center with xt32.

Should I run xt32 with the center active or should I disconnect it before I run it?

Also how do I go about turning off the center channel to do this?
Phantom center is without a center speaker, so if you did setup with the center then took it out it would be simply a waste of time and you'd need to rerun Aydyssey. Simply don't connect a center speaker and run Audyssey, it will determine whether you have the speaker connected or not and run accordingly.
post #10190 of 10215 Old 02-24-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

it won't give me a error saying I don't have a centernchannel?
post #10191 of 10215 Old 02-24-2015, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
No it won't it will just adjust accordingly.
post #10192 of 10215 Old 02-24-2015, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 1434
Quote:
1. If it did it would just be the avr's opinion

2. No error should be given, if it does, see #1
post #10193 of 10215 Old 02-25-2015, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I was told in audyssey forum to run it with the center connected and just disable the center channel. Where would I select no in the settings for the center channel
post #10194 of 10215 Old 02-25-2015, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
I was told in audyssey forum to run it with the center connected and just disable the center channel. Where would I select no in the settings for the center channel
Doing that would be null & void due to to optimizimg for the center channel. Just run it without and you will get the best results. Now if it doesn't let you run it without then do it plugged in. But I think it let you run without as do others in this thread.
post #10195 of 10215 Old 02-25-2015, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks I will give it a try tonight and let you all know the results
post #10196 of 10215 Old 02-25-2015, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 51
If I use the video processor in the 818 would that override the processor in my Mits 7900 projector or would they both be active? I'm currently using source>direct which turns off the 818 processor.
post #10197 of 10215 Old 02-25-2015, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post
If I use the video processor in the 818 would that override the processor in my Mits 7900 projector or would they both be active? I'm currently using source>direct which turns off the 818 processor.
They would both be active. And, to my surprise I find that I get a crisper, sharper picture on my pj by bypassing the 818 altogether as compared with source direct mode.
post #10198 of 10215 Old 02-25-2015, 10:22 PM

Picture Mode and Resolution are sort of confusing.

Under Picture Mode we have:

Custom, ISF Day, ISF Night, Cinema,, Game, Streaming and:

Through:
Does not adjust picture quality (changes resolution).

Direct:
Does not adjust picture quality (does not change
resolution). The video coming from an analog input
and output by the HDMI output is processed in the
same way as “Through”.

Under Resolution we have:

Through:
Select this to pass video through the AV receiver at
the same resolution and with no conversion.

Auto:
Select this to have the AV receiver automatically
convert video at resolutions supported by your TV.

480p (480p/576p), 720p, 1080i, 1080p:
Select the desired output resolution.

1080p/24:
Select this for 1080p output at 24 frames per second.
4K Upscaling:
Select this for an output resolution four times that of
1080p. Depending on the resolution supported by
your TV, it will result in either 3840 × 2160 or 4096
× 2160 pixels.

You can specify the output resolution for the HDMI output
and have the AV receiver upconvert the picture resolution
as necessary to match the resolution supported by your TV.
This setting is available only when “Source” has been
selected in “Resolution” of the “Monitor Out” setting.

on page 57: Source is added to the list of resolution settings?

Source:
Select this for an output following the resolution level
set in “Picture Adjust” (➔ page 69).

pretty confused at this point, not even sure if the AVR is upconverting 480i stuff?

if most of my material is 720p/24 or 1080p/24 should i leave the resolution at 1080/24? what happens if it's 60fps? or regular DVD which is not 24fps?
post #10199 of 10215 Old 02-26-2015, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=fokakis1;32128833] They would both be active. And, to my surprise I find that I get a crisper, sharper picture on my pj by bypassing the 818 altogether as compared with source direct mode.[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried that but I wouldn't want to lose the menus. I'm pretty happy with bypassing the VP on the 818, despite the glowing endorsements, as I believe that having both the VP's active degrades the picture. I have no way of turning it off on the Mits HC7900 pj, (that I know of) so I'll have to settle for the Source>Direct mode.

Last edited by Patrick Murphy; 02-26-2015 at 05:04 AM.
post #10200 of 10215 Old 02-26-2015, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post
Picture Mode and Resolution are sort of confusing.

One of the members did an exhaustive comparison of the different modes and how they interact. I bookmarked it.

http://www.aaarpinball.com/Onkyo818/Onkyo818.htm

The whole article is interesting but if you want to just 'cut to the chase' that starts about 1/3 down the page.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page