Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 341 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #10201 of 10228 Old 02-26-2015, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^^

thanks for that link, this is very helpful. I will go to Onkyo school tonight and figure it all out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10202 of 10228 Old 02-26-2015, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ARC issues

Hi,

I have encountered a problem with either my 818 or Samsung F9005 tv, where I can't use ARC to get TV sound through the onkyo. I worked for 3 - 4 months and all was stellar, but suddenly the onkyo and samsung won't do ARC. I can't get the samsung to recognise the onkyo while setting up "anynet+" HDMI-CEC/RHID.

Samsung have replaced the one connect box for the tv twice, and it didn't change - I have run through the setup with a authorised dealer, who says the onkyo is set up fine, but it won't change to HDMI and is left on ANALOG when i select TV/CD.

I have changed between 5 HDMI cables, so its not the cables. I recon the HDMI board is at fault, but is there any other options?
post #10203 of 10228 Old 02-28-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I gotta say,spotify connect sucks! I liked it better controlling it with the Onkyo app. It was easier and it worked! I can listen for a little while and it locks up now,probably losing connection. Then it won't find my receiver. I unplug it,then it works for a bit,then the same thing. Its not the router or internet connection,my htpc connects to the internet fine. Its the receiver. Very aggrivating,wish I could go back to the way it was.
RPGMasta likes this.
post #10204 of 10228 Old 03-01-2015, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHo View Post
Hi,

I have encountered a problem with either my 818 or Samsung F9005 tv, where I can't use ARC to get TV sound through the onkyo. I worked for 3 - 4 months and all was stellar, but suddenly the onkyo and samsung won't do ARC. I can't get the samsung to recognise the onkyo while setting up "anynet+" HDMI-CEC/RHID.

Samsung have replaced the one connect box for the tv twice, and it didn't change - I have run through the setup with a authorised dealer, who says the onkyo is set up fine, but it won't change to HDMI and is left on ANALOG when i select TV/CD.

I have changed between 5 HDMI cables, so its not the cables. I recon the HDMI board is at fault, but is there any other options?
Do you have a smaller tv or hdmi monitor you could carry over and connect to the 818 in place of the Samsung?
post #10205 of 10228 Old 03-04-2015, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Does anyone have the Onkyo repair link? Mine has the dreaded Video no sound issue as well.

Thanks,
Skybolt

post #10206 of 10228 Old 03-04-2015, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 57
https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA

"To the journey..."
Sony KDL60W630B; Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains; Polk RTi CSi A6 Center; Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4, Dish Network 722k, Iogear WiFi Hub
Teac PD-H600; Marantz BD7004; Dual 1218
post #10207 of 10228 Old 03-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post

Thank you, there sending me a box to package it up in! awesome!

post #10208 of 10228 Old 03-10-2015, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello,

I just installed an NR818 that I purchased over a year ago which has an issue with the NET applications. While my Verizon FIOS router is able to assign it an IP address that is present in the configuration screen, I do no think that it can access the internet. Specifically, when displaying the firmware version, there is no option for checking for an update, but more importantly, selecting NET produces a blank screen that remains this way for a few minutes until the apparent screen saver kicks in.

Am I experiencing a configuration issue, and if so, please tell me how I can resolve it; or, is this a symptom of the dreaded network-related defect that requires the receiver to be sent back? I have already verified that it is eligible for the repair program; however, I am reluctant to be without if unnecessary.

Thank you,
Ira
post #10209 of 10228 Old 03-11-2015, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwolf81 View Post
Hello,

I just installed an NR818 that I purchased over a year ago which has an issue with the NET applications. While my Verizon FIOS router is able to assign it an IP address that is present in the configuration screen, I do no think that it can access the internet. Specifically, when displaying the firmware version, there is no option for checking for an update, but more importantly, selecting NET produces a blank screen that remains this way for a few minutes until the apparent screen saver kicks in.

Am I experiencing a configuration issue, and if so, please tell me how I can resolve it; or, is this a symptom of the dreaded network-related defect that requires the receiver to be sent back? I have already verified that it is eligible for the repair program; however, I am reluctant to be without if unnecessary.

Thank you,
Ira
Hi Ira, the completely blank NET screen is the same problem that I had. You can temporarily resolve the issue by unplugging the unit for about 30 seconds, but the only other fix is to send it in for warranty repair.

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
post #10210 of 10228 Old 03-12-2015, 06:29 AM

Thanks for quick reply!

I'll try the unplug trick first. Next will be upgrading to the latest firmware via USB. If all else fails, warranty return...

Regards,
Ira
post #10211 of 10228 Old 03-15-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMasta View Post
I know it might be inconvenient, but an external amp would solve your issue for Zone 2 and/or 3, yes?
Certainly that would work, but it's more than inconvenient. MOre expensive, more space, more effort.

It would seem that if not playing Zone 3, then like Zone 2, it should be available for the main Zone 1 listening assignments.
post #10212 of 10228 Old 03-19-2015, 07:28 AM

Hi PRGMasta,

The unplugging trick worked! I now have access to all the streaming apps, which are working as well. Additionally, the Onkyo Remote 3 iOS app controls the receiver nicely.

I'm tempted to do a firmware update via the network. Can you please tell me if my current configuration would be preserved or blown away?

Thanks,
Ira
RPGMasta likes this.
post #10213 of 10228 Old 03-19-2015, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwolf81 View Post
Hi PRGMasta,

The unplugging trick worked! I now have access to all the streaming apps, which are working as well. Additionally, the Onkyo Remote 3 iOS app controls the receiver nicely.

I'm tempted to do a firmware update via the network. Can you please tell me if my current configuration would be preserved or blown away?

Thanks,
Ira
Save your configuration to memory before updating. Look at my earlier post in this thread on the save and restore functions.
post #10214 of 10228 Old 03-23-2015, 07:57 PM

hey to all I am thinking of buying 818 from ac4l and am wondering if 818 has hdmi issues like past years models or has that been mostly fixed
post #10215 of 10228 Old 03-24-2015, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by realnt View Post
hey to all I am thinking of buying 818 from ac4l and am wondering if 818 has hdmi issues like past years models or has that been mostly fixed
2 years mines never giving me a problem..It seems to run luke warm at best even when ya kick the knob up for a few hours of listening.

post #10216 of 10228 Old 03-26-2015, 07:45 AM

Am thinking of getting an Emotiva XPA-200 & connect a trigger cable to it, I've outlined what plug I think it is on the back of the 818 but not sure.

Ah, well, after doing some research, the trigger only works for zone 2 & 3. Did find a discussion at the Emotiva Lounge how to setup your Harmony remote to learn ir command for zone 2 & power up the amp. Also, someone suggested using an APC power strip. Easy fix.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/t...gger-onkyo-818
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	818.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	344.2 KB
ID:	627193  

"To the journey..."

Last edited by wtxgringo; 03-26-2015 at 02:08 PM.
post #10217 of 10228 Old 03-26-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realnt View Post
Mines fine after 3 years .awesome kit
post #10218 of 10228 Old 03-26-2015, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiacfatboy View Post
Mines fine after 3 years .awesome kit
Gonna sell mine.Works aweome still has 3 yrs left of warranty,never a issue.What it worth?I am in canada

post #10219 of 10228 Old 03-27-2015, 07:59 AM

Liked: 14
Mine has the video no sound issue. Sending it in for repair. Anyone know if they replace the caps with better ones? From what I understand, they originally used the "wrong" capacitors.
post #10220 of 10228 Old 03-27-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by iitywygms View Post
Mine has the video no sound issue. Sending it in for repair. Anyone know if they replace the caps with better ones? From what I understand, they originally used the "wrong" capacitors.

IIRC, the cap problem was from previous models/generations. They weren't the "wrong" caps, they were just under speced for the heat with 85 caps instead of 105s.

The issue that is causing you problems is a TI chip. They replace the HDMI board with a new board with a revised chip.
post #10221 of 10228 Old 03-27-2015, 11:14 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
IIRC, the cap problem was from previous models/generations. They weren't the "wrong" caps, they were just under speced for the heat with 85 caps instead of 105s.

The issue that is causing you problems is a TI chip. They replace the HDMI board with a new board with a revised chip.
Cool. Thanks for the info. Good to know they are using a revised chip and not just replacing it with the same bad one.

Good to know Onkyo is stepping up like this. Hopefully this unit will last as long as my old Onkyo receiver. It has been retired to the garage and going strong for 15 years.
post #10222 of 10228 Old Yesterday, 06:51 AM

Earlier this week, after watching tv couple hours, decided to listen to streaming music via the NET function, when I pressed that button on the remote, nothing happened. Said NET on the front panel but nothing else, turning it on & off didn't help so unplugged it for while, then back in & turned it on & function worked. Next day turned it on first thing to watch tv, nothing happened. No lights no nuttin, so unplugged it again & left it then back in & it turned on & no probs. Then this morn, watched tv couple hours, pressed NET function & just says the word NET; wouldn't connect so repeated the steps & now it's working again. Is this an early sign of an hdmi board failure? Just wondering! Next time I need to go into setup & see if Network is grayed out since that's the only prob listed on the Onkyo Customer Care site that is close to my issue. Did ck my serial # & it qualifies.

"To the journey..."
post #10223 of 10228 Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Earlier this week, after watching tv couple hours, decided to listen to streaming music via the NET function, when I pressed that button on the remote, nothing happened. Said NET on the front panel but nothing else, turning it on & off didn't help so unplugged it for while, then back in & turned it on & function worked. Next day turned it on first thing to watch tv, nothing happened. No lights no nuttin, so unplugged it again & left it then back in & it turned on & no probs. Then this morn, watched tv couple hours, pressed NET function & just says the word NET; wouldn't connect so repeated the steps & now it's working again. Is this an early sign of an hdmi board failure? Just wondering! Next time I need to go into setup & see if Network is grayed out since that's the only prob listed on the Onkyo Customer Care site that is close to my issue. Did ck my serial # & it qualifies.

This is most likely your router. The unit has lost it IP. Try giving it a static IP. This solved my issue
post #10224 of 10228 Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Send it in. Mine wasn't that rampant, but had the same issues with NET functions.

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
post #10225 of 10228 Old Today, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMasta View Post
Send it in. Mine wasn't that rampant, but had the same issues with NET functions.
Gonna wait a while for that. Did turn off DHCP in Network & set a static IP & it fired up right away this morn. We'll see lol.

"To the journey..."
post #10226 of 10228 Old Today, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 48
When watching movies do most people use music or movie for the audyssey curve? Kinda curious
post #10227 of 10228 Unread Today, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post
When watching movies do most people use music or movie for the audyssey curve? Kinda curious
Movie for Movies and Music for Music

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #10228 of 10228 Unread Today, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I thought I remember a while back someone saying on the onkyo music was better maybe I was reading to fast
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page