Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 342 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #10231 of 10255 Old 04-03-2015, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks I will do that. I assume that when I restore the configuration, the firmware version is also restored?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10232 of 10255 Old 04-03-2015, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
No, the firmware is independent of the restore config. Many people do the backup before a firmware upgrade as a couple of them wiped settings which forced a rerun of audessey setup.
post #10233 of 10255 Old 04-05-2015, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does any1 know if there are HEX codes for audyssey reference level offset for this model?

kind regards
post #10234 of 10255 Old 04-05-2015, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Audyssey:
Sorry for the rookie questions.

Was away from my 818 for a year while I built a house. Now I am in my new house and trying to get it optimally set up. I ran Audyssey and it's setting all of my speakers at 40hz. Can this not be changed? I am running in-walls and don't want them crossed over at 40hz. I thought you used to be able to set the soeakers as "small" and it would set them at 80hz. Currently I have Audyssey turned off and everything set at 80hz. (I am running a pretty beafy sub). Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
post #10235 of 10255 Old 04-05-2015, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23 View Post
Audyssey:

Was away from my 818 for a year while I built a house. Now I am in my new house and trying to get it optimally set up. I ran Audyssey and it's setting all of my speakers at 40hz. Can this not be changed? I am running in-walls and don't want them crossed over at 40hz. I thought you used to be able to set the soeakers as "small" and it would set them at 80hz. Currently I have Audyssey turned off and everything set at 80hz. (I am running a pretty beafy sub). Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Setting the speakers as small doesn't automatically set the x-overs at 80hz. Audyssey measures your speakers and decides the cross over from the frequency response in your room.

Of course, you can change the x-overs. Run Audyssey and after it completes, just go to speaker config in the setup menu and change them to what you want.
post #10236 of 10255 Old 04-05-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Quote:
Audyssey:

Setting the speakers as small doesn't automatically set the x-overs at 80hz. Audyssey measures your speakers and decides the cross over from the frequency response in your room.

Of course, you can change the x-overs. Run Audyssey and after it completes, just go to speaker config in the setup menu and change them to what you want.
Thanks. I knew there was a way to do it. What is really strange is that the speaker set up menu was not available for some reason. When I tried to select it.. It just kept jumping over it. It was greyed out. I cycled the power on the receiver and I was able to select it. Any explanation for this?

So.. Run Audyssey, go to the speaker set up menu.. Change cross over point to the desired selection and I'm good.

I watched Interstellar (no Audyssey) tonight and figured out that my glass shelves on my bar are in need of some attention. The PSA xs30se is a beast. Really the first time that I have gotten to "stretch its legs" with LFE.

Thanks again.
post #10237 of 10255 Old 04-06-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Quote:
Audyssey:

One more for ya. I ran Audyssey and changed the cross over set point to 80hz. I considered setting it at 60 just to get a little less bass localization. I figured that if I set the mains and surrounds at 60 that the sub should be 60 as well. The lowest it will go is 80. So if the mains are at 40/50/60(anything less than 80) and the sub cross over lowest point is 80hz then don't you have both the mains and sub doubling up on those frequencies leading to a "hot spot" in that frequency range? I am sure there is an easy explanation for this but I'm missing it.

Thanks.
post #10238 of 10255 Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Noo HDMI/Network issue yet.

I am not experiencing any issues (yet) as described by many of you. I am considering having the fix done anyway. Has anyone done this?
post #10239 of 10255 Old 04-07-2015, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
One more for ya. I ran Audyssey and changed the cross over set point to 80hz. I considered setting it at 60 just to get a little less bass localization. I figured that if I set the mains and surrounds at 60 that the sub should be 60 as well. The lowest it will go is 80. So if the mains are at 40/50/60(anything less than 80) and the sub cross over lowest point is 80hz then don't you have both the mains and sub doubling up on those frequencies leading to a "hot spot" in that frequency range? I am sure there is an easy explanation for this but I'm missing it.

Thanks.

I don't know the answer to that one. I have always matched the two crossover points. You would probably be best served to cross the fronts, center, etc. @ 80hz and let the sub/s do the heavy lifting. There is some really good info in the Audyssey FAQ. There is a section about setting the cross overs. You should be able to figure out the best approach with that info.

It's section C: "Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)
post #10240 of 10255 Old 04-12-2015, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Thanks.

The LPF on your sub should remain at 120Hz - the LPF on the sub and speaker crossovers are not the same. You can set you speaker crossover between 40 and 80 normally - if they can't handle much bass then use 60 as you said, but I wouldn't mess with the LPF of the sub.

After a lot of messing around, I let Audyssey decided and my system sounds great now - unless I had THX speakers I wouldn't mess with it personally. I did find this guide which really helped me understand measurement points - before that I struggled a bit with Aydyssey. http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tup-guide.html

Epson 5020UB - Falcon Screens AT 131"
Onkyo TX NR818 - Emotiva XPA-5 - Panamax M5300
Polk 265LS/255cLS L/C/R - 80F/X-LS & LSiM703 surrounds - Dual SVS PB2000 subs
OPPO BDP-103 - HTPC with MediaBrowser3
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-re-model.html

Last edited by Barrettmr; 04-12-2015 at 07:05 AM.
post #10241 of 10255 Old 04-13-2015, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This is an email I sent to Integra and I never got a response. Can you guys help me?:
I own Onkyo 818 and desire to have all separates. I have a 9.2 amp setup currently. A friend has an Integra dhc-80.3 for sale (practically new) and am wondering if I would hear a significant sound difference in music and movies. Or would I be trading apples for apples. Need help. Thanks in advance.
post #10242 of 10255 Old 04-13-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by awaheed View Post
This is an email I sent to Integra and I never got a response. Can you guys help me?:
I own Onkyo 818 and desire to have all separates. I have a 9.2 amp setup currently. A friend has an Integra dhc-80.3 for sale (practically new) and am wondering if I would hear a significant sound difference in music and movies. Or would I be trading apples for apples. Need help. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a lateral move to me for more $. What is it about the 818 sound quality you find insufficient? What speakers are you using?
post #10243 of 10255 Old 04-13-2015, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
^ I have no real qualms about the 818; just wanted to move up to a better sound signature. Always had the idea, in my mind, that a pre-pro would sound richer and/or better.
post #10244 of 10255 Old 04-13-2015, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
^ I have no real qualms about the 818; just wanted to move up to a better sound signature. Always had the idea, in my mind, that a pre-pro would sound richer and/or better.
I agree with the comment above, it will be a lateral move.

And on the pre-amp/amp set up producing better or more rich sound, that is not as true as it once was. Nowadays the benefits of separates is the upgradablity. As an amp will be good for many years to come but the pre-amp processor can be swapped out to one with the latest decoding software.

Hope that helps.
post #10245 of 10255 Old 04-13-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Spend your money on better speakers or room treatment...the difference in the electronics isn't worth it IMHO.
post #10246 of 10255 Old 04-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Spend your money on better speakers or room treatment...the difference in the electronics isn't worth it IMHO.
Agreed!
post #10247 of 10255 Old 04-15-2015, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the input dudes. But, does the use of XLR inputs/outputs (unbalanced) connections and operation of a pre/pro with no internal amps have no advantage sound-wise. To possess all separates has been my goal for years. I've sacrificed many a restaurant meal and refused to experience many an iMax outing to save for separates. I've been doped AND LEAD ASTRAY by the HT industry and all of you audiophile experts on this forum and others like it. Pre/pro is the only way the go "they said ". You're not truly one of us "they" said; if you keep that receiver. It's just a step above HTIB "you" said. Oh well, the struggle is real out here in these streets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10248 of 10255 Old 04-15-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammaar Waheed View Post
Thanks for the input dudes. But, does the use of XLR inputs/outputs (unbalanced) connections and operation of a pre/pro with no internal amps have no advantage sound-wise. To possess all separates has been my goal for years. I've sacrificed many a restaurant meal and refused to experience many an iMax outing to save for separates. I've been doped AND LEAD ASTRAY by the HT industry and all of you audiophile experts on this forum and others like it. Pre/pro is the only way the go "they said ". You're not truly one of us "they" said; if you keep that receiver. It's just a step above HTIB "you" said. Oh well, the struggle is real out here in these streets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Generally the use of xlr connectors has an advantage in noise over very long runs. Short runs as typical in a home setup not so much in most cases. They're not leading you astray....they're just enticing your money away from your pockets which some do willingly as being a consumer is so much fun! I've got two dedicated pre-amp/amp set ups (not currently in use, though) as well as several receivers....never lost any sleep over any differences between them that I didn't find.
post #10249 of 10255 Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
What is the easiest way to listen to the satellites without the sub and use the EQ?

In direct mode no EQ, in stereo mode the sub is on.

thx
post #10250 of 10255 Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post
What is the easiest way to listen to the satellites without the sub and use the EQ?

In direct mode no EQ, in stereo mode the sub is on.

thx
set all speakers large
post #10251 of 10255 Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
set all speakers large
that will make the satellites go full range for music listening in stereo mode without sub? then for movies w/sub need to go in and change back to small?

I was just wondering if any way to do this without changing the setup completely.

thx
post #10252 of 10255 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
that will make the satellites go full range for music listening in stereo mode without sub? then for movies w/sub need to go in and change back to small?
Correct.
post #10253 of 10255 Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I was just wondering if any way to do this without changing the setup completely.

thx
Someone should correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure "Pure Audio" bypasses all that stuff.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #10254 of 10255 Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

That's true, also lose Audysesy correct though too.
post #10255 of 10255 Unread Today, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont know why but today I try to update to new firmware 1141-3104-0201-0000 coming from 1100-7101-0100-0000
and end up with bricked receiver! I do everything by the book turn of HDMI Control extract all files direct from zip and on
VSP Setting I ger error 3-83. Done soft,hard reset bilion times and again 3-83 no sound no video. Does anybody have solution? Thanx

PS: I try to update old firmware but everything is stack with just 4 digits in FW update 1141-3
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page