Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 344 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #10291 of 10319 Old 05-26-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For the second time this week, my 818 has seemed to go dead. No response to anything. Then after a period of time (one after a minutes, the other time after 15 to 20 minutes) it came on.

Has anyone experienced this. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10292 of 10319 Old 05-27-2015, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 40
If this has been going on for a while and you haven't taken advantage of Onkyo's free repairs occurring for the 818 I strongly suggest you do so.
philmike21 likes this.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #10293 of 10319 Old 05-27-2015, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

It just started this week.

I was thinking that Into offer was just for HDMI. I'll call and see what I find out.
post #10294 of 10319 Old 06-03-2015, 10:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked: 2317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr View Post
It just started this week.

I was thinking that Into offer was just for HDMI. I'll call and see what I find out.
Always a good idea with an avr to first do a soft reset (unplugging it for a while) or a full reset before calling for service....
post #10295 of 10319 Old 06-04-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah. I called then yesterday and they told me to unplug it for 6 hours. Interesting...6 hours. They also said it would not be under warranty, and that of unplugging it didn't fix it that it's likely the protection circuit.

I wonder how much that would cost to repair.
post #10296 of 10319 Old 06-04-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr View Post
Yeah. I called then yesterday and they told me to unplug it for 6 hours. Interesting...6 hours. They also said it would not be under warranty, and that of unplugging it didn't fix it that it's likely the protection circuit.

I wonder how much that would cost to repair.
If it still happens try a full reset as well. Does the unit has plenty of breathing room? Checked speaker connections?
post #10297 of 10319 Old 06-13-2015, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looking For Headphone Recommendations

My hearing is getting worse as I get older. Even though my my setup is downstairs in the family room, I require a volume level that disturbs my wife upstairs at night.

I would like to get wireless headphones that connect to the Onkyo so I can listen to the TV at night. I have all my components plugged into the 818 with HDMI cables and have one HDMI cable going from the TV to the 818 using ARC. I really don't want to connect the headphones to the TV if I can help it.

Mike
post #10298 of 10319 Old 06-14-2015, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
Looking For Headphone Recommendations

My hearing is getting worse as I get older. Even though my my setup is downstairs in the family room, I require a volume level that disturbs my wife upstairs at night.

I would like to get wireless headphones that connect to the Onkyo so I can listen to the TV at night. I have all my components plugged into the 818 with HDMI cables and have one HDMI cable going from the TV to the 818 using ARC. I really don't want to connect the headphones to the TV if I can help it.

Dolby Volume on High. Set the crossovers higher to reduce bass. Set the bass settings to -10.
Mikejl likes this.

Home Theatre:
Onkyo TX-NR818
Onkyo C7030

DALI Zensor 7, Zensor 1, Vokal, DALI E-12F
post #10299 of 10319 Old 06-14-2015, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had my 818 for a couple years, and don't get to use it much.

However, the last month or so we have been watching the playoffs and have used it quite a bit. My question pertains to Dolby Digital.....every time I turn the unit on, the center speaker level is set at -2.0 db (when looking at it in the "setup" popup menu). I bump it up to +1 or 2 and it sounds great. Off for a few days, turn it back on...center channel is back down to -2db. WTF. Can anyone tell me how to set it so it STAYS at +1??
post #10300 of 10319 Old 06-14-2015, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkz06 View Post
However, the last month or so we have been watching the playoffs and have used it quite a bit. My question pertains to Dolby Digital.....every time I turn the unit on, the center speaker level is set at -2.0 db (when looking at it in the "setup" popup menu). I bump it up to +1 or 2 and it sounds great. Off for a few days, turn it back on...center channel is back down to -2db. WTF. Can anyone tell me how to set it so it STAYS at +1??
Hi blkz06, most likely you're using the Q Setup button >Audio menu for center level adjustment, these settings are temporary adjustment. Go the "Speaker Setup" (menu 2) under "Level Calibration" to set the center to save.
philmike21 likes this.
post #10301 of 10319 Old 06-14-2015, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi blkz06, most likely you're using the Q Setup button >Audio menu for center level adjustment, these settings are temporary adjustment. Go the "Speaker Setup" (menu 2) under "Level Calibration" to set the center to save.
Thank you!!!
post #10302 of 10319 Old 07-17-2015, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoj8 View Post
I think I may have a HDMI problem. Lately I have noticed my TX-NR818 stating HDMI start up when I power it on. I've never noticed this before. I replaced HDMI cables, tried a different TV as well as a different blue Ray player. Still gives the same. This only occurs when I first turn on the unit and only last 15-30 seconds.
Any help would be appreciated Thx
Mine have done this for the past 2 years!
post #10303 of 10319 Old 07-17-2015, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yeah also have hdmi startup for years now. Never seen it without.
post #10304 of 10319 Old 07-20-2015, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Reposting my posts from the other Onkyo Warranty Extension thread:

I had my TX-NR818 repaired through this warranty extension a few months ago, and after about 3 weeks round trip to the repair facility, the receiver came back working fine. In the last couple of days, it started flaking out again.

At first it took longer to get to tune to any source, then when switching sources, I started seeing a message saying "HDMI start up" and the receiver seemed to get stuck on that message. A power cycle solved the issue for a day or so. And now, all video output is lost. My TV shows that it's not receiving any video signal. Switching cables and HDMI input ports on the receiver doesn't help. Going directly from the sources to my TV works fine, so it's not the cables or the TV inputs. Now power cycling the receiver does not help anymore.

I went back to the repair portal and entered my receiver's serial number and chose that I was having video problems on the HDMI ports. I got the message that my issues are not covered under the special repair program. I need to contact regular Onkyo service, I guess.

Anybody having similar issues? Wonder if I can get a second repair through the warranty extension?
post #10305 of 10319 Old 07-20-2015, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well ouch.

I haven't been following this forum as my 818 was been working like a champ.

Until yesterday. It simply will not turn on... Did the only thing people/Onkyo recommend, which was to disconnect everything (including power) and let it sit for an hour. That didn't help. Left it disconnected over night, still wouldn't power on.

By "it wouldn't power on", I mean that nothing ever displays on the front panel and it doesn't do anything or output HDMI.

I do have an authorized Onkyo repair place about 10 miles from my house. Dropped it off. For $49 they will tell me whats wrong and credit it if i go ahead with repair. Lucky to hear by end of week, more likely next week.

Assuming the worst, I started looking at purchasing something new. Here's what I've quickly found

1) Multi EQ XT 32 was a pretty special thing. It's hard to find it on anything except pretty expensive stuff
2) Onkyo has dropped Audyessey and their replacement isn't winning any awards
3) Be aware of 4k claims as all but the most recent models don't support HDCP 2.2, which will likely be required for most 4k content
4) While I hadn't run into the HDMI problem, it clearly exists. Even though Onkyo has (finally) admitted to it, I'm wondering about a Denon

Ultimately I'm hopeful my 818 can be fixed for a reasonable price and a reasonable time. Assuming the worst, taking 3-4 weeks and costing $600 would be strong motivate for a new receiver. I hope I'll have better information at the end of this week or early next week.
post #10306 of 10319 Old 07-20-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey guys I have an onkyo nr818 and I obviously calibrated my whole system with audysey xt32, one question I have is that there is a reference level offset setting for auddysey dynamic eq which can be set for each and every source connected to the AVR individually,

Now, I have a time warner cable box, apple tv, WD live hub, Xbox one and PS4 connected to my Onkyo, and I am clueless as to what I should set the dynamic eq reference level offset for each of these devices, I've read that tv material is usually -10db than the reference level so for the cable box I should set the reference level offset to 10db, what should I set it to for my apple tv? Xbox one? Ps4? WD live hub?

The options available for the reference setting is 5, 10 and 15db
post #10307 of 10319 Old 07-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post
Well ouch.

Until yesterday. It simply will not turn on... Did the only thing people/Onkyo recommend, which was to disconnect everything (including power) and let it sit for an hour. That didn't help. Left it disconnected over night, still wouldn't power on.

By "it wouldn't power on", I mean that nothing ever displays on the front panel and it doesn't do anything or output HDMI.

I do have an authorized Onkyo repair place about 10 miles from my house. Dropped it off. For $49 they will tell me whats wrong and credit it if i go ahead with repair. Lucky to hear by end of week, more likely next week.

Ultimately I'm hopeful my 818 can be fixed for a reasonable price and a reasonable time. Assuming the worst, taking 3-4 weeks and costing $600 would be strong motivate for a new receiver. I hope I'll have better information at the end of this week or early next week.
Well, I'm pretty happy. Got a call that they rebuilt the power supply and the total cost was $150. Getting it repaired for that price is a good deal, IMHO. And fast! Dropped it off Monday and it's done today.

I need to get it home and test it out, but don't have already reason to believe it shouldn't be good as new.
Mikejl likes this.
post #10308 of 10319 Old 07-22-2015, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post
Hey guys I have an onkyo nr818 and I obviously calibrated my whole system with audysey xt32, one question I have is that there is a reference level offset setting for auddysey dynamic eq which can be set for each and every source connected to the AVR individually,

Now, I have a time warner cable box, apple tv, WD live hub, Xbox one and PS4 connected to my Onkyo, and I am clueless as to what I should set the dynamic eq reference level offset for each of these devices, I've read that tv material is usually -10db than the reference level so for the cable box I should set the reference level offset to 10db, what should I set it to for my apple tv? Xbox one? Ps4? WD live hub?

The options available for the reference setting is 5, 10 and 15db
There is no correct answer as this is all audio voodoo. By that I mean there is no standard group that says what the right answer should be, especially when considering content from and xbox/ps4 or WD live hub isn't authored (necessarily) to any specific level.

But this explanation may help. That reference number is simply an OFFSET. It means "take the current volume level and add the number you picked, then Odyssey will apply its magic."

I believe this "reference" only applies to the dynamic volume and dynamic EQ. It has nothing with the Multi EQ32 functionality.

Generally speaking, Audyssey will apply more voodoo when the volume is lower (not as loud). So the number you select changes how much voodoo is done at a given level.

Ex:

Listen at -20 dB with "reference setting" 0, Audyssey acts as if the volume is still -20 dB
Listen at -20 dB with "reference setting" 10, Audyssey acts as if the volume is -10 dB. In this case it applies "less" (such as less bass boost)

I know this is general and not correct in all cases, but it hopefully gives you the gist.
post #10309 of 10319 Old 07-22-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well ouch.

Assuming the worst, I started looking at purchasing something new. Here's what I've quickly found

1) Multi EQ XT 32 was a pretty special thing. It's hard to find it on anything except pretty expensive stuff
2) Onkyo has dropped Audyessey and their replacement isn't winning any awards
3) Be aware of 4k claims as all but the most recent models don't support HDCP 2.2, which will likely be required for most 4k content
4) While I hadn't run into the HDMI problem, it clearly exists. Even though Onkyo has (finally) admitted to it, I'm wondering about a Denon

Did not qualify for the warranty extension by Onkyo? Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

ps Never mind, I guess if it doesn't turn on you can't say it was an hdmi/network issue?
post #10310 of 10319 Old 07-22-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Did not qualify for the warranty extension by Onkyo? Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

ps Never mind, I guess if it doesn't turn on you can't say it was an hdmi/network issue?

Correct, "doesn't power on" is not a symptom of a bad HDMI board. It was the power supply:

Quote:
Well, I'm pretty happy. Got a call that they rebuilt the power supply and the total cost was $150. Getting it repaired for that price is a good deal, IMHO. And fast! Dropped it off Monday and it's done today.

I need to get it home and test it out, but don't have already reason to believe it shouldn't be good as new.
post #10311 of 10319 Old 07-23-2015, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Correct, "doesn't power on" is not a symptom of a bad HDMI board. It was the power supply:
My receiver that got repaired for the HDMI audio output failure issue in March of this year has now given up the ghost on HDMI video output. Selecting video failure option as the reason to request repair under the special warranty extension/repair program gave me the message that my issue was not covered by the warranty extension.

I emailed Onkyo through support site requesting a call back reservation, and have yet to hear back from them after 3 days.
post #10312 of 10319 Old 07-24-2015, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Is there a way to set a specific HDMI input so it will output to "HDMI SUB"? What I would like to do is have 2 different sources coming in and going to separate TV's at the same time.

Thanks,
Robb
post #10313 of 10319 Old 07-24-2015, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdethloff View Post
Is there a way to set a specific HDMI input so it will output to "HDMI SUB"? What I would like to do is have 2 different sources coming in and going to separate TV's at the same time.

Thanks,
Robb
Sorry, but no. Only one input source is ever used for output. That input source either goes to Main, goes to Sub, or goes to both.
post #10314 of 10319 Old 07-24-2015, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thanks for the quick reply.

Well, that is disappointing. I bought a cheap 3-in 2-out HDMI splitter from Radio Shack (going out of business) recently that I use in the mancave that allows me to output multiple sources to 2 TV's. I thought for sure my nice fancy receiver would have this functionality, but I guess not.
post #10315 of 10319 Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Guys, i have an LG OLED TV and im a little worried because my Onkyo NR818 outputs a BLUE SCREEN when it detects no signal from any of my multimedia devices(apple tv, ps4, xbox one etc), im worried because if i fall asleep while watching netfflix on the apple tv for example and the show that im watching ends while im sleeping, the apple tv will go to sleep and therfore turn off and the blue screen that my Onkyo receiver outputs to the tv when no signal is detected from the source will be displayed on the LG EC9300 for who knows how many hours till i wake up at night to turn it off or even until the morning, so im worried that blue screen will be on the LG OLED for an extended time, is there a way to make the reciever turn OFF when it detects no signal from the source?

Any advice or suggestion?
post #10316 of 10319 Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Guys, i have an LG OLED TV and im a little worried because my Onkyo NR818 outputs a BLUE SCREEN when it detects no signal from any of my multimedia devices(apple tv, ps4, xbox one etc), im worried because if i fall asleep while watching netfflix on the apple tv for example and the show that im watching ends while im sleeping, the apple tv will go to sleep and therfore turn off and the blue screen that my Onkyo receiver outputs to the tv when no signal is detected from the source will be displayed on the LG EC9300 for who knows how many hours till i wake up at night to turn it off or even until the morning, so im worried that blue screen will be on the LG OLED for an extended time, is there a way to make the reciever turn OFF when it detects no signal from the source?

Use the sleep timer in the avr. Page 48 of the manual. Limited to 90 mins, though. Doubt there's any way to do it based on your Netflix viewing, though unless you have a timer in the apple device that could turn it off, in that case maybe a smart power strip might work. Easier to me to just turn it off when I start to get sleepy....
post #10317 of 10319 Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Use the sleep timer in the avr. Page 48 of the manual. Limited to 90 mins, though. Doubt there's any way to do it based on your Netflix viewing, though unless you have a timer in the apple device that could turn it off, in that case maybe a smart power strip might work. Easier to me to just turn it off when I start to get sleepy....
I believe there is a auto standby setting under the"miscellaneous# menu
post #10318 of 10319 Unread Today, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

The Apple also has a setting to delay or prevent shut down.
post #10319 of 10319 Unread Today, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page