Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 345 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #10321 of 10338 Old 08-07-2015, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post
Last several days when I get up & turn on my system, there's no audio from the 818 altho the tv has sound ie pass thru, so I turn off the 818 & back on again & sound. This happens every time I turn the unit off. Is this a sign of worse things to come? Should I let it fail completely before trying warranty service? Thx

This is typically how the HDMI board problem begins to let itself be known. A lot of folks did the off/on trick for a few days until it no longer helped then sent it back.

If it were me, I would wait until it fails (and it will!) and turning it on/off no longer works, then go through the process. Even though I am guessing they don't even check and they just replace the board, then test the unit after....

Main System: Denon AVR-4311ci; Emo XPA-5, Panasonic TC-P65ST50, Oppo BDP93, PS2&3, Wii, Sonos Connect, Mede8er, Roku 3
Ascend RAAL Towers, RAAL Horizon Center, Sierra 2's (surround), Def Tec SM350's (rear surrounds), 2 Rythmik F15's
2 other systems: 1 Onkyo, 1 Denon, Paradigm Studio V1 and V2 speakers, Panasonic Plasmas, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10322 of 10338 Old 08-07-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 125
That is so funny.. That's exactly what I'm going thru right now. Onkyo, just shipped a box and a call tag. I still have the original box. When this happens does the network socket go too? I've been having problems with my tablet/phone for spotify connecting. It doesn't even show the 818 as available..

I'm gonna get a new receiver this fall. Denon X4200 or maybe a Yammy.. I've had Onkyo for 10 yrs,I need something different.
post #10323 of 10338 Old 08-08-2015, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I finaly manage to repair my broken hdmi board but I now have problem to set speakers.
I have on front mission mx6 that I want to set as biamp. I do wireing on specification and set to Audyssey for initial setup. Sound go from all speakers for detection but on screen I get for front left & right speakers error like they are not connected. I check wires milion time everything is OK. Can someone have idea what is problem? Thanx
post #10324 of 10338 Old 08-08-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
That is so funny.. That's exactly what I'm going thru right now. Onkyo, just shipped a box and a call tag. I still have the original box. When this happens does the network socket go too? I've been having problems with my tablet/phone for spotify connecting. It doesn't even show the 818 as available..

I'm gonna get a new receiver this fall. Denon X4200 or maybe a Yammy.. I've had Onkyo for 10 yrs,I need something different.
Yes indeed, when the HDMI board goes it takes out your network connectivity with it. I think you will be impressed with the experience with the repair. It is very well done. The process I mean. Fast and well thought out. Let's just hope the repair holds up.
airgas1998 likes this.

Main System: Denon AVR-4311ci; Emo XPA-5, Panasonic TC-P65ST50, Oppo BDP93, PS2&3, Wii, Sonos Connect, Mede8er, Roku 3
Ascend RAAL Towers, RAAL Horizon Center, Sierra 2's (surround), Def Tec SM350's (rear surrounds), 2 Rythmik F15's
2 other systems: 1 Onkyo, 1 Denon, Paradigm Studio V1 and V2 speakers, Panasonic Plasmas, etc.
post #10325 of 10338 Old 08-08-2015, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

For the love of god, I always wondered why my tablet and phone wouldn't see my Onk at times. I didn't even think about it having a problem,until recently when the sound won't come on when I fire up the receiver. I had to restart it like 8 times today,then finally,it came on.. What a drag. I'll give it to my brother when I get it back and I'll try a Yammy or Pioneer. I wonder if I'm going to miss Audyssey and end up with a Denon or Marantz with XT32..
post #10326 of 10338 Old 08-10-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vescera View Post
I finaly manage to repair my broken hdmi board but I now have problem to set speakers.
I have on front mission mx6 that I want to set as biamp. I do wireing on specification and set to Audyssey for initial setup. Sound go from all speakers for detection but on screen I get for front left & right speakers error like they are not connected. I check wires milion time everything is OK. Can someone have idea what is problem? Thanx
Are you telling Audyssey that the fronts are biamped? I believe you have to do that first, so it's aware of it.

Last edited by MoJoe277; 08-10-2015 at 02:07 PM.
post #10327 of 10338 Old 08-10-2015, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
For the love of god, I always wondered why my tablet and phone wouldn't see my Onk at times. I didn't even think about it having a problem,until recently when the sound won't come on when I fire up the receiver. I had to restart it like 8 times today,then finally,it came on.. What a drag. I'll give it to my brother when I get it back and I'll try a Yammy or Pioneer. I wonder if I'm going to miss Audyssey and end up with a Denon or Marantz with XT32..
Not that it matters, now that you'll be sending it in for repair.... But you are selecting "keep connection when powered off"... or something like that in the networking settings, right? Also, anytime power is pulled from the outlet, the wifi adapter needs to be unplugged and plugged back in (if you're using the adapter)
post #10328 of 10338 Old 08-10-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe277 View Post
Are you telling Audyssey that the fronts are biamped? I believe you have to do that first, so it's aware of it.
Thanx for reply today I play with speakers and find that both tweeters for front are dead zero sound.
I think that I have biamp wrong wire to amp. Now I have to see is crossover or tweeters are broken.
I have some very bad lack with my system.
post #10329 of 10338 Old 08-10-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have a Wi-Fi adapter, I have it plugged directly into the router. It needs to be fixed. I get no sound and the network drops on it also. Its getting sent to Onkyo/Repair shop tomorrow..
post #10330 of 10338 Old 08-10-2015, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked: 2379
Quote:
Thanx for reply today I play with speakers and find that both tweeters for front are dead zero sound.
I think that I have biamp wrong wire to amp. Now I have to see is crossover or tweeters are broken.
Curious, were you using the crossovers in the 818 or the speaker? While avr bi-amping is generally worthless, the 818 is unique in that it does have built in active crossovers....
post #10331 of 10338 Old 08-11-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Curious, were you using the crossovers in the 818 or the speaker? While avr bi-amping is generally worthless, the 818 is unique in that it does have built in active crossovers....
I was referring to crossover of speakers. Today I send speakers for repair and the owner of shop show me his lamp amp hi-end with full range stereo speakers. It make me thinking after listen his equipment are we all wrong with this fancy receivers with many surround and dts,dolby,neo,atmos... crap.
post #10332 of 10338 Old 08-11-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked: 2379
Quote:
I was referring to crossover of speakers. Today I send speakers for repair and the owner of shop show me his lamp amp hi-end with full range stereo speakers. It make me thinking after listen his equipment are we all wrong with this fancy receivers with many surround and dts,dolby,neo,atmos... crap.
A lamp amp?? Was he passively bi-amping, too?

Some like the simple two ch systems, I've got one but don't use it much. YMMV Options for source management and multiple speakers/subs are nice, many 2ch systems are very limited. Why were you passive bi-amping with an avr?
post #10333 of 10338 Old 08-12-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Either:
You connected to both sets of speaker posts with the jumpers still attached or
You removed the jumpers, but made a connection error to whatever your amplifier source is for the jumpers for the tweeters (hi frequencies)

Reconnect the jumpers to the back of the speakers and only connect one set of speaker wires to the speaker. If your tweeters are still not working, then the problem is with the speaker. If they do work, the problem was with the wiring when you were trying to bi-amp.

post #10334 of 10338 Old 08-12-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Send it in and take advantage

i urge anyone on the fence whether or not to send their unit in for repair should do so. even if your unit isn't having any issues(this is what i did) it's been flawless and hasn't missed a beat since....

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #10335 of 10338 Old 08-14-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
A lamp amp?? Was he passively bi-amping, too?

Some like the simple two ch systems, I've got one but don't use it much. YMMV Options for source management and multiple speakers/subs are nice, many 2ch systems are very limited. Why were you passive bi-amping with an avr?
I want to see as there any differencein sound quality in biamp and after I see that I didnt achieve much I was lazy to turn lef/right settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde8965 View Post
Either:
You connected to both sets of speaker posts with the jumpers still attached or
You removed the jumpers, but made a connection error to whatever your amplifier source is for the jumpers for the tweeters (hi frequencies)

Reconnect the jumpers to the back of the speakers and only connect one set of speaker wires to the speaker. If your tweeters are still not working, then the problem is with the speaker. If they do work, the problem was with the wiring when you were trying to bi-amp.
Yes this seconds after repair of hdmi board I mix the HF LF cables as I didnt mark them in first place.
post #10336 of 10338 Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Anyone noticing any problems with JRiver 20 and the 818? I feel like I want this to be a JRiver problem, but it does not have any issues when using DLNA to stream to my Blu-Ray player or when using Gizmo on my Samsung tablet and phone.

I already have sent my 818 in for the repairs, and Spotify connect works, so I don't think network issues as seen before are the problem.
When it actually does connect and stream music from my PC, it makes a horrific white noise for 2-3 seconds at the end of every track. In most cases, it will not progress to the next track on an album, about 90% of the time, but, more often than not, JRiver says "There was a problem controlling the DLNA device. Double check your device, server and network settings" and won't play anything at all.

If I go through the Net\DLNA OSD of the Onkyo, I can get music to stream from the PC, but it does not make white noise at the end of the track with this method. This is a very clunky method, so I'd prefer the receiver and JRiver played nice.

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
post #10337 of 10338 Old Today, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've had the 818 for about a year and a half, and it always loses speaker settings after a power outage.

Whenever power goes out (which only lasts for a few minutes), I have to run the Audyssey setup each time.

What's more, I'm beginning to wonder if my power outages aren't directly connected to this receiver. The breaker to the room is tripped in severe thunderstorms, but ONLY in the room where this receiver is placed. Nowhere else.

Starting to wonder if this isn't due to a defective cap or something, and I haven't found a single similar issue online.

Any ideas?
post #10338 of 10338 Unread Today, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sound level in different program modes???

I just got my 818 returned from repairs and of course the settings have changed. What drives me nuts is the difference in output level between the various sound modes. I had it set-up OK, but can't remember how and the manual doesn't help.

When I'm watching a program the unit indicates 'Dolby-D'. As soon as the adds start it switches to 'Stereo' which seems to be set twice as loud....... If it switches on THX it's different again. Where do I get it more or less the same?

Sorry, feel stupid to ask, but the family is on my case and I can't find it. Thanks, Rene
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page