Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 348 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

post #10411 of 10418 Old 01-19-2016, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Hey fellas,

Sorry if this question has been asked but way too many pages to read. I'm having trouble getting highs and wides both acknowledged. It says 9.2 with pre-outs. I've got to be missing something minor. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

GO BLUE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10412 of 10418 Old 01-19-2016, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post
Hey fellas,

Sorry if this question has been asked but way too many pages to read. I'm having trouble getting highs and wides both acknowledged. It says 9.2 with pre-outs. I've got to be missing something minor. Any help much appreciated. Thanks
I think it depends on the source material, look in the manual, it shows which formats are supported. I would then play around with blu-ray, then netfilx 5.1. Try Audyssey dsx, dolby PLIIZ, and Dolby PLIIX, I think those are your best bets, but from what I've read sometimes you don't get highs and wides at the same time. You can download the manual on the onkyo site via pdf, hope that helps. I still need 2 more speakers to get 9.1 good luck and let us know what you find out, I'm eager to know.
post #10413 of 10418 Old 01-20-2016, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCKCHILLOUT View Post
I think it depends on the source material, look in the manual, it shows which formats are supported. I would then play around with blu-ray, then netfilx 5.1. Try Audyssey dsx, dolby PLIIZ, and Dolby PLIIX, I think those are your best bets, but from what I've read sometimes you don't get highs and wides at the same time. You can download the manual on the onkyo site via pdf, hope that helps. I still need 2 more speakers to get 9.1 good luck and let us know what you find out, I'm eager to know.
Thanks brother. I'll check it all out. I've got 2 sub boxes almost built. 9.2 will be the final setup. Running a 159" screen. Took time and 💸 but final see light at the end of the tunnel. Oh, and my new Harmony Elite was well worth every cent if anyone is debating that purchase.

GO BLUE
post #10414 of 10418 Old 01-20-2016, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post
See Manual page 41. You want 9.1 with FH+FW. So you first have to enable the "Preout to External Amplifier" in the Speaker Settings, and then you'll be able to select the 9.1-FH/FW Speaker Layout.
sixtytooneratio and RPGMasta like this.

post #10415 of 10418 Old 01-31-2016, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ac3 audio issues

Hi everyone

I sent my 818 for a replacement board about 6 months ago however one of the issues I had then is till apparent and I'm wondering if others have it as well. Whenever I dsee code ac3 audio I run into very infrequent audio drops of less than 1second. Sometimes it will happen 2x in a minute other times it will happen and then not again for an hour. Happens on all inputs and the only common denominator is ac3 and either passing it through via DD or using the direct function. If I reprocess it or change the incoming format to stereo AAC it will be fine forever.
post #10416 of 10418 Old 01-31-2016, 12:04 PM

Liked: 0
So I've had this thing for about 2 years now. Set it up, and it worked like a charm since.

Got me some new, used speakers, apparently one of them had a bad cross over, and I found myself having troubles getting the receiver to recognize the speakers. I'd try and run Audyssey and it'd get stuck at a "wait" and stay there forever. Much fidgeting got it to work, including removing the bad speaker.

Then I bought a new center channel, set it up, works great. This about 2 weeks ago

Leave for vacation, come back......nothing. No sound, and it shows the same speakers it had recognized as before. Ok, restart it. And now it shows no speakers. Try to run Audyssey, nothing. Gets stuck at "wait" or position the mic in the center of the room, and hitting enter does nothing. It just sits there. Pull pairs of speakers out one by one, until I only have front and center. Still nothing. Redo everything to make sure there is a connection, good there.

As far as I can tell, it won't "recognize" a speaker. Next to where it shows the speakers, it only shows "Audyssey" and under it "Dynamic EQ".

Audyssey should not have to run to get sound. It should merely make it sound better. I've never updated firmware, but the updates mention noting about Audyssey.

The HELL do I have to do here!?! Can I just not use Audyssey? Is there any other setting I need to change?
post #10417 of 10418 Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Strange Stereo/PLII-issue when switching from Net output to an output that runs PLII

Hey Guys,

I use Spotify Connect and thus have the receiver on the Net output and set to stereo. However, when I switch to an output that is setup to PLII for 2 channel sources, it is still stereo even thou the receiver-display says PLII. Switching to a random output and back to a PLII-output-source fixes the issue.

Can anything be done? Seems like a bug no1 has reported. It happens every time.
post #10418 of 10418 Old Today, 03:48 PM

Liked: 0
Well, after calling, and being on hold for over an hour, i was asked to see if the network option was greyed out - much like many of you have mentioned. It was, but that seemed ok to me, because I've never even hooked it up to a network. But yeah, DSP chip I think he said, was the problem. Boy, the speakers disappearing from the display sure had me thinking the problem was me-related.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread