Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 349 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 65Likes
post #10441 of 10463 Unread 05-07-2016, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackmark View Post
Receiver just crapped out for a second time. Went to the Customer Care link and entered my serial number and they stated "receiver has already been repaired."

Are they only honoring a single repair when a unit fails again?
I would think you need to go through the normal RMA process going forward.

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10442 of 10463 Unread 06-05-2016, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Dazed and Confused

Need some help guys!

I am having a hard time finding 2.1 mode. When I use Stereo it gives me 3.1. Direct gives me 2.0 and I think Pure gives the same? Where is 2.1 mode?

Also, my L / R front are 4 ohm 87 db speakers and they seem under powered. I am not getting the sound from them I think I should. I bought a couple a Emotiva UPA-1 monoblocks. So do I hook those up on Pre out?

Then set Front Wide to powered amp? I am confused here?

Also, I see 12v triggers are available on the Emotifva UPA-1..and I know I have them on the Onkyo 818..but I am totally lost as to what they are for.

Last edited by Newbie01; 06-05-2016 at 12:46 AM.
post #10443 of 10463 Unread 06-05-2016, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post
Need some help guys!

I am having a hard time finding 2.1 mode. When I use Stereo it gives me 3.1. Direct gives me 2.0 and I think Pure gives the same? Where is 2.1 mode?

Also, my L / R front are 4 ohm 87 db speakers and they seem under powered. I am not getting the sound from them I think I should. I bought a couple a Emotiva UPA-1 monoblocks. So do I hook those up on Pre out?

Also, I see 12v triggers are available on the Emotifva UPA-1..and I know I have them on the Onkyo 818..but I am totally lost as to what they are for.
Stereo is 2.1, so if you are getting audio from your center channel I would double check your speaker connections. My guess is you have a couple wires crossed.
post #10444 of 10463 Unread 06-05-2016, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked: 4404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post
Need some help guys!

I also think you should check speaker connections if stereo mode plays thru the center. Maybe an avr reset if its not a wiring issue.

Your speakers aren't high sensitivity but your avr should drive them to quite loud levels. You can try the amps but likely won't make a difference but depends on your playback levels. Could be the speakers could use upgrading, too. Yes, use the pre-outs. Don't know how your front wides are arranged. Your Onkyo and Emotiva manuals should tell you how to hook up the triggers (or you could use a smart power strip).
post #10445 of 10463 Unread 06-06-2016, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question for the group. I just purchased a used TX-NR818 off ebay. I have a speaker setup as follows:

Kitchen - pair of Polk 90-RT
Pool - two pairs of Polk Atrium 45's (outdoor)
Hot Tub - pair of yamaha AW150's (outdoor and they suck)

My desire is to power them in three zones, or at least kitchen one zone and all outdoor second zone. I do have a spare sony ES receiver I could use for zone three, if variable out (but I don't know if it is compatible). This receiver is dedicated to this effort. No AV receiver duties. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Ted
post #10446 of 10463 Unread 06-19-2016, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would like to play music from my Android phone via Bluetooth over the 818. What are my options to accomplish this?
post #10447 of 10463 Unread 06-19-2016, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius65 View Post
I have a question for the group. I just purchased a used TX-NR818 off ebay. I have a speaker setup as follows:

Kitchen - pair of Polk 90-RT
Pool - two pairs of Polk Atrium 45's (outdoor)
Hot Tub - pair of yamaha AW150's (outdoor and they suck)

My desire is to power them in three zones, or at least kitchen one zone and all outdoor second zone. I do have a spare sony ES receiver I could use for zone three, if variable out (but I don't know if it is compatible). This receiver is dedicated to this effort. No AV receiver duties. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Ted
Pre-outs for zones 2 and 3 are fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercell View Post
I would like to play music from my Android phone via Bluetooth over the 818. What are my options to accomplish this?
There is an app called Onkyo Remote in the play store that will stream from your Android phone to the 818 over wi-fi. I have only tried the IOS version, and it's pretty crappy as far as music players go... Best bet is probably to get a streaming device that plugs into your 818 and stream to that using your favorite music app. If you want to stream to zones 2 or 3, you need a device with analog audio out. I've been using a Squeezebox Touch for the past few years, but plan on switching to the Airport Express to stream Apple Music.
supercell likes this.
post #10448 of 10463 Unread 06-19-2016, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 754
Quote:

You can get a Bluetooth receiver to hook up to the 818, but I recommend a Chromecast audio instead. It sounds better and your music isn't interrupted any time you get a notification, call, etc. like it is with a Bluetooth connection.
supercell likes this.
post #10449 of 10463 Unread 06-25-2016, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
You can get a Bluetooth receiver to hook up to the 818, but I recommend a Chromecast audio instead. It sounds better and your music isn't interrupted any time you get a notification, call, etc. like it is with a Bluetooth connection.
Hooked up my Chromecast today, and currently streaming to my 818. Thank you for the help!
post #10450 of 10463 Unread 06-26-2016, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 754
Quote:
Hooked up my Chromecast today, and currently streaming to my 818. Thank you for the help!

Very welcome, glad it worked out for you.
supercell likes this.
post #10451 of 10463 Unread 07-09-2016, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Output problem

I am having a very minor difficulty in getting a picture when I use the NET setting on my Onkyo 818 AVR for Sirius/XM radio. When I either turn on my system with my Harmony remote (AVR on and output set to NET, Vizio TV on) or switch to listen to satellite radio from watching TV, I get sound but "No Signal" appears on the screen. However, when I switch to listen from watching a Blu-Ray movie (as in: originally, AVR on and output set to BD, HDMI input 1 on Vizio selected - then switched: AVR output set to NET, Vizio TV on and input set to HDMI input 1), I get both picture and sound.

I am thinking that since the Blu-Ray player and the NET outputs are both fed to the Vizio's HDMI-1 input, that is why I get picture and sound; when watching TV (signal coming from a TiVo), the video output is sent to the Vizio's HDMI-2 input and audio is sent to the digital optical input on the AVR. Does this sound right, and if so, how can I fix it?
post #10452 of 10463 Unread 07-10-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodon005 View Post
I am having a very minor difficulty in getting a picture when I use the NET setting on my Onkyo 818 AVR for Sirius/XM radio. When I either turn on my system with my Harmony remote (AVR on and output set to NET, Vizio TV on) or switch to listen to satellite radio from watching TV, I get sound but "No Signal" appears on the screen. However, when I switch to listen from watching a Blu-Ray movie (as in: originally, AVR on and output set to BD, HDMI input 1 on Vizio selected - then switched: AVR output set to NET, Vizio TV on and input set to HDMI input 1), I get both picture and sound.

I am thinking that since the Blu-Ray player and the NET outputs are both fed to the Vizio's HDMI-1 input, that is why I get picture and sound; when watching TV (signal coming from a TiVo), the video output is sent to the Vizio's HDMI-2 input and audio is sent to the digital optical input on the AVR. Does this sound right, and if so, how can I fix it?
Are you using a multi-function remote? It sounds like you are not setting the TV to HDMI input 1 when listening to your NR818 in NET.

That said, with the NR818's ability to pass HDMI through to your TV when powered off, why did you run your cable box HDMI to the TV instead of the Onkyo?
post #10453 of 10463 Unread 07-10-2016, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post
Are you using a multi-function remote? It sounds like you are not setting the TV to HDMI input 1 when listening to your NR818 in NET.

That said, with the NR818's ability to pass HDMI through to your TV when powered off, why did you run your cable box HDMI to the TV instead of the Onkyo?
Thank you so much - your advice worked! I was able to add a command to my Harmony remote to output to HDMI-1 and it worked perfectly.

As to your second question, my 818 does not pass through 4K video, so I had to connect the TiVo to the TV to get 4k video from Netflix, Amazon Video, etc.
post #10454 of 10463 Unread 07-10-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodon005 View Post
Thank you so much - your advice worked! I was able to add a command to my Harmony remote to output to HDMI-1 and it worked perfectly.

As to your second question, my 818 does not pass through 4K video, so I had to connect the TiVo to the TV to get 4k video from Netflix, Amazon Video, etc.
Glad it worked.

Ah 4K. Didn't think of that!
post #10455 of 10463 Unread 07-26-2016, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I just got home from work, fired up my gear like normal and my 818 won't turn on. I have a bad feeling about this. I unplugged it, plugged it back in several times. No power. Is it done?
post #10456 of 10463 Unread 07-30-2016, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just bought a TX-NR818 used on eBay. He didn't pack it well at all and it didn't survive the trip across the country. The speaker posts got pushed on and mashed in the back of the case and messed up the alignment of the circuit boards inside. I am trying to rescue it. It's a shame for such a nice receiver to go to waste. After working on it for a couple afternoons I found the connector that connects the DAC to the speaker board got ripped out. It's a 24 pin connector. If I can find a connector like this I can try to solder it on. Or replace the whole board. I just don't know where to find parts for it. Can anyone help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1573801   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1573809   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1573817  
post #10457 of 10463 Unread 07-31-2016, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I looked and did not see anything, unless you contact Onkyo direct. I will say it's not worth it and put in a claim from the shipping company who ruined it.

post #10458 of 10463 Unread 08-27-2016, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 212
This is really weird. I decided to try a hard reset on my Onkyo 818 today. Didn't think that would do anything as I thought the power supply was going. To my Chagrin.. The damn thing actually came on. Worked for a bit then shut off, but now I could turn it back on with the remote. It stayed on, so I decided to update the firmware. updated it with no problems, fired it back up and its been working great ever since. I'm in a state of unbelief. Why would this even work? All it did before was click non stop and it wouldn't power up. Now its been working perfect for about 2 hours. Anyone have an explanation on this? Just odd to say the least. But, it will ultimately save me $1300 on the new Pioneer I bought.
post #10459 of 10463 Unread 09-02-2016, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Fire Stick

If I run an Amazon Fire Stick from my receiver is there a way to watch a program without using the receiver? (Wifey dislikes the noise for her shows)
post #10460 of 10463 Unread 09-02-2016, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtytooneratio View Post
If I run an Amazon Fire Stick from my receiver is there a way to watch a program without using the receiver? (Wifey dislikes the noise for her shows)
HDMI passthrough when it's on standby.
post #10461 of 10463 Unread 09-03-2016, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneofgod View Post
HDMI passthrough when it's on standby.
Thanks!
post #10462 of 10463 Unread Yesterday, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am running a 9.1 setup (7.1 + Front Wides) with an external amplifier and whenever I select teh Audyssey DSX listening mode I get no sound from my surround back speakers. DTS Neo X listening mode works with all speakers but for some reason DSX just ignores my surround backs. Any idea whats going on?
post #10463 of 10463 Unread Yesterday, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComponentActual View Post
I am running a 9.1 setup (7.1 + Front Wides) with an external amplifier and whenever I select teh Audyssey DSX listening mode I get no sound from my surround back speakers. DTS Neo X listening mode works with all speakers but for some reason DSX just ignores my surround backs. Any idea whats going on?
From the Onkyo feature pamphlet

"Three High Performance Sound Expansion SystemsA seven-channel system provides a more immersiveentertainment experience, with additional High or Widechannels convincing you with realistic directional andambient effects. Audyssey DSX®, Dolbyand DTS Neo:Xexpansion systems offer you freedom to™choose your preferred speaker setup. Audyssey DSX canexpand 5.1 sources to incorporate Wide or Height channels.The Dolby system adds Height channels and stereo sourceexpansion, while DTS Neo:X offers Wides or Heights withcinema, music, or game listening modes."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread