Onkyo TX-NR818 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 352 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

post #10531 of 10544 Old 04-28-2017, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtytooneratio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackmark View Post
Well the 818 is totally non responsive. No lights, no sounds, nada. Have unplugged and removed all wires and will try it in an hour but I'm guessing it's down for the count.

Like others, I think this is my last Onkyo.
How many years did you get out of your unit???Is it covered under Onkyo's extended warranty coverage?
It was covered once for the no audio issue but this is a different issue and from what I understand it wouldn't be covered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10532 of 10544 Old 04-28-2017, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
[QUOTE=blackjackmark;52591785]It was covered once for the no audio issue but this is a different issue and from what I understand it wouldn't be covered.[/QPush the issue with Onkyo.E-Mail Jack.Cooper@US.onkyo.com.,doesn't cost a penny to ask.They don't like dissatisfied customers.
post #10533 of 10544 Old 05-08-2017, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Received mine 1/2014 and it worked fine until around a week ago when it started to show the classic no speaker matrix display, no sound and no net symptoms. Powered off/on a few times to correct then turned off auto-standby and just left it powered on 24/7...Didn't even waste time on a reset. I replaced it yesterday with a Yamaha 5.1 from the garage while waiting on return box and repair. Don't we just love it when a relatively cheap product proves to be more reliable than something costing more than twice as much.

post #10534 of 10544 Old 05-11-2017, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey all,

I have a small problem with listening to something in stereo. Its typically Spotify or flac files. If I switch over to another 2-channel source, it’s still stereo even thou I have set the unit to PLII on that source. It also says PLII in the display - but its Stereo. Ether switching to actual stereo and back to PLII fixes it - or turning it off and on.

Seems like the receiver has a bug where switching from streaming music to a 2-channel PLII source – it can’t switch. Pretty big bug id say.

Any1 have this?
post #10535 of 10544 Old 05-20-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridian View Post
Received mine 1/2014 and it worked fine until around a week ago when it started to show the classic no speaker matrix display, no sound and no net symptoms. Powered off/on a few times to correct then turned off auto-standby and just left it powered on 24/7...Didn't even waste time on a reset. I replaced it yesterday with a Yamaha 5.1 from the garage while waiting on return box and repair. Don't we just love it when a relatively cheap product proves to be more reliable than something costing more than twice as much.

Got back the repaired unit yesterday. Can't fault Onkyo's repair service - prompt and efficient. Looks like they're replacing your HDMI board, having the bad "B" revision TI BGA dts chip, with a refurbished board having the newer "D" revision TI BGA dts chip. Your old board then enters the refurbish cycle for chip replacement.

Before:
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/165493857/original

After:
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/165493860/original
post #10536 of 10544 Old 05-23-2017, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
@ameridian ,

My unit is starting the "failure to connect" to my router; if I am lucky enough to get it to connect, it drops the connection after a few songs. Additionally, it occasionally turns off and restarts by itself. I think it is about to bite the proverbial capacitor....
Where can I take advantage of the MB replacement and what buzz words do I need to use, if any, to convince Onkyo to honor the replacement policy? Looks like they squared you away.

Thanks,
Jeff
post #10537 of 10544 Old 05-23-2017, 12:08 PM

@boidsonly

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018
https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/

In addition to giving them the unit's S/N, you have to check all that applies from the following (you can follow the link above and not commit to anything);

Loss of sound experienced on a specific channel
Loss of sound experienced on all channels
Speaker indicator on display is not showing
Speaker indicator on display is on
"Now Initializing..." message on display is showing constantly
Network settings in Setup Menu is grayed out (unselectable)
Loss of video on HDMI output
Noise/crackled audio comes out of speakers (after verifying speaker wires and audio connections are secure)

An affected serial number and the three bold items above will definitely convince them until they receive and inspect your unit. Seem to recall mention of a fee of $75.00 for **additional** repairs not covered by this extended warranty which isn't too bad IMO. But I'm not certain what happens if they find your unit never did qualify in the first place. You may want to speak to someone there first to avoid any deception and fees you never expected.
boidsonly likes this.
post #10538 of 10544 Old 05-23-2017, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
@boidsonly

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018
https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/

In addition to giving them the unit's S/N, you have to check all that applies from the following (you can follow the link above and not commit to anything);

Loss of sound experienced on a specific channel
Loss of sound experienced on all channels
Speaker indicator on display is not showing
Speaker indicator on display is on
"Now Initializing..." message on display is showing constantly
Network settings in Setup Menu is grayed out (unselectable)
Loss of video on HDMI output
Noise/crackled audio comes out of speakers (after verifying speaker wires and audio connections are secure)

An affected serial number and the three bold items above will definitely convince them until they receive and inspect your unit. Seem to recall mention of a fee of $75.00 for **additional** repairs not covered by this extended warranty which isn't too bad IMO. But I'm not certain what happens if they find your unit never did qualify in the first place. You may want to speak to someone there first to avoid any deception and fees you never expected.
Thank you for the info. I answered all the questions I know to be true and it qualified.

I'll probably move the repaired unit downstarts and buy a newer model in the next few months.
post #10539 of 10544 Old 05-23-2017, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Seem to recall mention of a fee of $75.00 for **additional** repairs not covered by this extended warranty which isn't too bad IMO. But I'm not certain what happens if they find your unit never did qualify in the first place.
I don't think they actually check for the loss of sound issue, since it can be intermittent in some cases. After my 818 failed, I went ahead and sent in my HT-RC180 in even though it wasn't failing and they replaced the HDMI board. Anything that is not fixed by swapping the HDMI board will probably incur additional charges, but at least the shipping is free...
post #10540 of 10544 Old 05-23-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post
I don't think they actually check for the loss of sound issue, since it can be intermittent in some cases. After my 818 failed, I went ahead and sent in my HT-RC180 in even though it wasn't failing and they replaced the HDMI board. Anything that is not fixed by swapping the HDMI board will probably incur additional charges, but at least the shipping is free...

Makes sense. In fact, I was thinking to send mine in late next year if it hadn't failed by then.
sixtytooneratio likes this.
post #10541 of 10544 Old 06-20-2017, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had the same HDMI loss problem with my Onkyo TX-RN818. It was around December 2016. It was repaired and sent back to me without a problem. I have a dedicated theater room that doesn't get much use due to my work schedule. Last night I went up to watch a movie and the unit was completely dead. It would not power on at all. No other computers or components were affected. I have all the computers and components in the control room plugged into a surge protecting battery back up.

I'm asking the group if this is related to the prior problem or the repair that they have done? I have asked for help on the Onkyo support forum, but not heard back yet. Should I cut my losses on this receiver and buy a Denon or Yamaha?

Thanks,
Tom.
post #10542 of 10544 Old 06-21-2017, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm going to say no, this is what I have had happen to mine and others, believe it a bad relay and moved on to another brand. Hope this helps.
TomKarelis likes this.
post #10543 of 10544 Old 06-21-2017, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKarelis View Post
I had the same HDMI loss problem with my Onkyo TX-RN818. It was around December 2016. It was repaired and sent back to me without a problem. I have a dedicated theater room that doesn't get much use due to my work schedule. Last night I went up to watch a movie and the unit was completely dead. It would not power on at all. No other computers or components were affected. I have all the computers and components in the control room plugged into a surge protecting battery back up.

I'm asking the group if this is related to the prior problem or the repair that they have done? I have asked for help on the Onkyo support forum, but not heard back yet. Should I cut my losses on this receiver and buy a Denon or Yamaha?

Thanks,
Tom.
It wouldn't hurt to complain.E-Mail Jack.Cooper@Onkyo.US.Com.
TomKarelis likes this.
post #10544 of 10544 Old 06-30-2017, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HI

I need some advise from expert people of the forum for my 818.I recently purchased secondhand from a dealer and he mentioned that the new HDMI board is refitted on that but when i check in the ONKYO site for the serial number it is displayed that mine is eligible for HDMI board retrofitting and they will send me a box.I checked again with the dealer and he was sure that board is changed,Can i ask how to identify new board is fitted please.
Second i noticed that the speaker display icon of FL,C,FR are slightly dim compared to other speaker icon like SBR,SBL,FH,FL,this is more prominent when i dim the display,Can i check it is normal or there is a potential fault lurking .Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page