post #1801 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBarry View Post

Mikes2cents, if you were a serious shopper and really wanted to buy a 818, you would be able to buy one in the $800 range so do the math. Audyssey xt32 is more than a firmware update so why don't you admit it there is a substantial performance difference between the 818 and the 809?
OK, I admit it. What is the point in arguing XT vs XT32 when it is known? For some reason the 818 left out the sub EQ and I was trying to figure out why and whether there are any other physical differences other than back panel connection that were omitted in the 818. I am not sure whether XT32 involved a hardware change or it is just programming in the firmware. I am also not sure what you mean about being a serious shopper but to each his own. I am pretty serious about typing this right now though, you should see the look on my face.wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 03:22 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

For some reason the 818 left out the sub EQ
Really?

Wow, I learn something here every day. Guess having to adjust my sub to 75 dB before running Audyssey was just a waste of time.
post #1803 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:

That's incorrect. XT32 in the 818 equalizes your sub with the same resolution as any other version of XT32.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #1804 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

Quote:

That's incorrect. XT32 in the 818 equalizes your sub with the same resolution as any other version of XT32.

Well, the XT32 version in the 818 does not have subeq to the extent it will not do the distance/level settings for the subs automatically as those versions of XT32 that do include that feature do...at least that's my understanding. Not a big deal as you can fairly simply setup your sub to run XT32 afterwards and will eq your subs.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #1805 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
post #1806 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Anyone Please Help

Started up my setup as usual, speakers were popping lightly.
Heard that before so i manually turned off avr.
I Turned back on, avr began popping again . This time avr turned off by itself.
Had to Press button 2 or 3 times on avr to come on.
Upon start up, i saw something i havent seen before.
Avr read "hdmi start up" no speaker icons several clicks later good to go. Whaa?
post #1807 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

I think he ment that the 818 is missing the "SubEQ HT" Feature. is it a good feature?

SubEQHT sets the distance and level independently for TWO subs. Although the 818 has two sub outs, really it's just like a Y adapter and they will be treated as one (so you should get them playing nicely before running audyssey). Regardless of SubEQHT, Audyssey XT32 EQ's the two subs as if they were one, which is a good thing.

SubEQHT only helps the case of having two subs, and I believe I can accomplish what it does as good or better than it does it. I believe Markus has proposed a theory that, because the wavelengths are so huge in the sub range and we perceive the sub not-directional (off reflections really) that the distance is not (a big deal / doesn't do anything good or bad / not sure what to say there). Level is certainly something one can accomplish pretty good by ear and very good with an SPL meter.

Edit: what confuses me about that theory is how come I can play a wave at the crossover point and squeeze a few extra db's (clearly audible) with the delay / phase settings.
post #1808 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 06:10 PM

Liked: 10
So I bought mine yesterday and things ran late but I had to set it up at least a little since I also had gotten two new JBL 810's for my surround sides.
Right now I have the following:
L/R - JBL Ti6K
Center - JBL LC2
Side Surrounds - JBL L810
Back Surrounds - JBL L820
Subwoofers - (2) Sonance In Wall Cinema THX Subs driven via Sonamp 2120

External Amp - Adcom GFA 5006 which can act as a 3,4,5, or 6 channels depending on how you bridge it.

Last night I set up the Adcom to drive the front L/R and centers bridged at 175 X 3. However, it looks like the Adcom is rated at 8ohms in bridged mode and the Ti6k's are 6ohms. So today I am going to have the Adcom drive the surrounds and the center and the onkyo handle only the Ti6Ks.
If it sounds good, it may save me from having to buy a beefier amp to drive those things.

Despite the less than ideal amp setup, I continued with the XT32 and wanted to hear what this thing can do. After two firmware updates, time was getting tight so I quickly did the calibration. I have to say the sound was very very good with one huge exception. I could barely hear my subs even though they were part of the calibration. I know I am suppossed to change the speakers from full range (I noticed XT32 set them to full range) and there are a bunch of other things I need to look into but it was already past 1am. I didn't want to spend too much time on it because I have to change the amplifiers around today anyway. Now I need to re-read this and the XT32 thread to figure out the nuances of the subwoofer. I remember reading something a little while back with similar issues. Got to search for it again.

Anyway, so far so good on the 818 although I kind of swore off onkyo after my 809 required 2 replacements and I sent it back to Amazon for credit in lieu of a third.
So I hope this one is a keeper. Seems great so far.
post #1809 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I think he ment that the 818 is missing the "SubEQ HT" Feature. is it a good feature?
They all know what I meant with my post. This is a rough crowd right here. All I am doing is research and learning but fanboys are getting bent out of shape for some reason. C'mon man, I have an Onkyo 809 that I am about to replace with either a 3009 or a 818. If you can help me out here that would be appreciated. This will be my third AVR in about as many years and quite frankly I am getting tired of it. None of them have been low end cheapies and I don't want buyer's remorse which I did not have with my 809. Of course you are free to post what you want here on AVS, I have been the author of some posts that regrettably I am not proud of either. They accomplished nothing aside from belittling someone. I have since tried to treat people the way I want to be treated except for obvious trolls, which as we all know get what they deserve.

Thankfully the vast majority of people here are good folks trying to help. Hope to be like that myself. Take care.
post #1810 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

Quote:

SubEQHT sets the distance and level independently for TWO subs. Although the 818 has two sub outs, really it's just like a Y adapter and they will be treated as one (so you should get them playing nicely before running audyssey). Regardless of SubEQHT, Audyssey XT32 EQ's the two subs as if they were one, which is a good thing.

SubEQHT only helps the case of having two subs, and I believe I can accomplish what it does as good or better than it does it. I believe Markus has proposed a theory that, because the wavelengths are so huge in the sub range and we perceive the sub not-directional (off reflections really) that the distance is not (a big deal / doesn't do anything good or bad / not sure what to say there). Level is certainly something one can accomplish pretty good by ear and very good with an SPL meter.

Edit: what confuses me about that theory is how come I can play a wave at the crossover point and squeeze a few extra db's (clearly audible) with the delay / phase settings.

You can easily set the level using the setup mic. Just set one sub then the other at the 75db tone, turning the one you're not using at the time off. Together if they give you gain then you can slightly adjust from there or leave them slightly hot and let the system turn 'em down...that's how I do it with Audyssey XT (but with three subs in my case).

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #1811 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

I just picked up an 818 today. Is it possible to replace the 2 prong detachable power cord with a shorter 3 prong cord from monoprice if they're both the same gauge (16AWG)? Forgive my ignorance if its a stupid question, I'm learning.
post #1812 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 08:38 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_40k View Post

I just picked up an 818 today. Is it possible to replace the 2 prong detachable power cord with a shorter 3 prong cord from monoprice if they're both the same gauge (16AWG)?
Yes.

Its power cord uses an IEC C17 connector which is identical to a C13, but without the ground.
post #1813 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 09:35 PM

Alright. After 2 hours of playing with this and changing different configurations, I have everything sounding great (understatement) but I am getting static from my subwoofer outputs even when nothing is playing. I spent a lot of time with XT and determined that it was best (for me) to run it with one (in wall) sub on. It did its thing and it sounded great. Then I added some more volume with the second sub and it sounded perfect. I didn't change any crossovers or levels of any kind. For movies (Transformer 2 Trailer) it sounds incredible.

BUT, what is with the static coming from the subs? Here was my troubleshooting:
Step 1. Coming from both subs. Static goes away when I disconnect signal coming into sub-amp.
Step 2. Played music from a different source other than the Onkyo into the amp and there is no static whatsoever. Rules out bad amp or subs.
Step 3. Changed Wires. No difference
Step 4. Sent the subwoofer pre-out on onkyo to a different speaker (different amp) and there is static on that speaker now.
Step 5. I hear it on all of the main sources even those with nothing connected to them except Net. I hear a momentary silence while switching and then this light static rumbling. The static gets louder as I put up the volume. All other channels are drop dead silent.

So, I think that means the static is coming from the Sub Pre out. I only have one connection to the AVR via HDMI. Nothing else is connected.

Does this mean what I think it means?

EDIT: Either I didn't have the 809 set up properly or this thing is just that much better. Obviously, other than the static the subwoofers the overall mix is incredible.
post #1814 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I got mine some days ago, I am very happy with it. biggrin.gif
All the features and the equipment self is really a very nice piece of technology for the price wink.gif

The main feature I bought it is the XT32 audyssey calibration system.
I have a 7.1 audio system (no fronts wide neither height), use the NR818 as a preamplifier, as amplifiers I use for frontals the Lexicon 8BST 4 channels but bridget to get only 2 channels for right and left frontals loudspeakers. For the central, surrounds and back surrounds I use aun Emotiva XPA-5.

I follow the user guide for the NR818 to get EQ vía Audyssey, but when the system is working On, always detect the back surrounds as Front wide and height. Is this ok? I'm missing some else? The loudspeakers are correctly well connected for 7.1. Why audyssey is calibrating as 9.1? What I should to do?

Thank you very much for tour help.
RM

RMerlano
NewBie on AV Systems....
post #1815 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmerlano View Post

I follow the user guide for the NR818 to get EQ vía Audyssey, but when the system is working On, always detect the back surrounds as Front wide and height. Is this ok? I'm missing some else? The loudspeakers are correctly well connected for 7.1. Why audyssey is calibrating as 9.1? What I should to do?
Thank you very much for tour help.
RM

I noticed the same thing. After audyssey was complete I just went back and removed those speakers. The sound was excellent so I actually forgot to mention it but I have the same question.
post #1816 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi View Post

I noticed the same thing. After audyssey was complete I just went back and removed those speakers. The sound was excellent so I actually forgot to mention it but I have the same question.

I've the same feeling bonjovi, the sound is great, but also feel that maybe the sound could be much better if the system doesn't consider the back surrounds as frontals, don't you?

Regards!

RMerlano
NewBie on AV Systems....
post #1817 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmerlano View Post

I've the same feeling bonjovi, the sound is great, but also feel that maybe the sound could be much better if the system doesn't consider the back surrounds as frontals, don't you?
Regards!

I read somewhere in the manual that you need to set the "speaker priority" but then I tried to access it, it says "not available". SP is the button you press. But that was before i tried running audyssey. I will try it again tomorrow.

I am sure there is a way to set it but right now I am more concerned with my sub pre-out noise. I think I will take all my wires out and start again and see if I have some issue there. Otherwise I'm afraid I will have to send it back.
I love the sound buts it getting harder to justify the poor quality control. 3 bad 809's and now potentially an 818. Hopefully it's something simple since I couldn't find anyone else with the same problem.
post #1818 of 10085 Old 08-17-2012, 11:32 PM

I already set the priority of the loudspeakers as SB and dísable the frontals wide and height, after that i tríes to do the new audyssey calibration and AGAIN I got the same result.

Somebody else can help us? rolleyes.gif

RMerlano
NewBie on AV Systems....
post #1819 of 10085 Old 08-18-2012, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what confuses me about that theory is how come I can play a wave at the crossover point and squeeze a few extra db's (clearly audible) with the delay / phase settings.

If you superimpose two (or more) waves of the same frequency but different phase (this is what happens in a room), then the level changes depending on the amount of phase shift.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #1820 of 10085 Old 08-18-2012, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, I think that means the static is coming from the Sub Pre out. I only have one connection to the AVR via HDMI. Nothing else is connected.

Hum or hiss? You probably have a ground loop. Run the power for your sub from the same outlet as your AVR. Is the noise gone?

Markus

post #1821 of 10085 Old 08-18-2012, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read somewhere in the manual that you need to set the "speaker priority" but then I tried to access it, it says "not available".

Page 49 in the manual:

Important:
• The following layouts are only available when the
“Preout to External Amplifier” setting (➔ page 59)
and all corresponding speakers are enabled.

Markus

post #1822 of 10085 Old 08-18-2012, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you superimpose two (or more) waves of the same frequency but different phase (this is what happens in a room), then the level changes depending on the amount of phase shift.

I understand that, I don't understand why you would say distance / phase are unimportant when I an audible improvement can be made. Are we back to other factors are more important?

Thanks for your time
post #1823 of 10085 Old 08-18-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand that, I don't understand why you would say distance / phase are unimportant when I an audible improvement can be made. Are we back to other factors are more important?
Thanks for your time

Not sure what post you're referring to but I've never said that. What I've said is that aligning the level and distance of two or more subs doesn't necessarily result in the best frequency response.

Markus

post #1824 of 10085 Old 08-18-2012, 06:59 AM

Nice to meet all nr818 user in here

Firstly, I must say sorry for my bad english, because i'm come from hong kong

I got my 818 around a month ago, and I have a 7.1 setup

But I find a problem when I playback DTS HD 5.1 bluray disc

If I choose "DTS HD MASTER" mode but the source is DTS HD 5.1, nr818 will "auto extend" and "locked up" 7.1 output

But playing Dolby HD 5.1 & 7.1 is normally

How can I fix this issue?
post #1825 of 10085 Old 08-18-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 104
i can't believe the the various sites i'm seeing have this unit at 1200.00 still. i guess i would of thought Amazon at least would have something tempting.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #1826 of 10085 Old 08-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not sure what post you're referring to but I've never said that. What I've said is that aligning the level and distance of two or more subs doesn't necessarily result in the best frequency response.

Roger that, not sure if you are referring to Geddes approach, or something else I'm not familiar with. Thanks for the help.
post #1827 of 10085 Old 08-18-2012, 10:43 AM

Liked: 12
Look on e-bay, there are still good prices out there.
post #1828 of 10085 Old 08-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I have a 3009 with Sub EQ HT.

It and along with MultEQ XT32 did an excellent job, with my four subwoofers.
I leveled each sub to 75dB and then ran the full 8 position, Audyssey calibration.

I wasn't sure if combining ported and sealed subs, was a good idea or not.
However, after running Audyssey, all four subwoofers now sound and "feel" great together!
Seamlessly integrated into my HT setup.
Plenty of deep, powerful and detailed bass.

So yes, Sub EQ HT is a very good feature, especially if like me, your running
multiple subwoofers.

Benq W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower Speaker x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
post #1829 of 10085 Old 08-18-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

I have a 3009 with Sub EQ HT.
It and along with MultEQ XT32 did an excellent job, with my four subwoofers.
I leveled each sub to 75dB and then ran the full 8 position, Audyssey calibration.
I wasn't sure if combining ported and sealed subs, was a good idea or not.
However, after running Audyssey, all four subwoofers now sound and "feel" great together!
Seamlessly integrated into my HT setup.
Plenty of deep, powerful and detailed bass.
So yes, Sub EQ HT is a very good feature, especially if like me, your running
multiple subwoofers.

How does it sound when you split the sub signal from a single out to all 4 subs?

Markus

post #1830 of 10085 Old 08-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Page 49 in the manual:
Important:
• The following layouts are only available when the
“Preout to External Amplifier” setting (➔ page 59)
and all corresponding speakers are enabled.

Ah... I think I initially read it incorrectly. So I am guessing I was supposed to connect it to the external amp pre-out instead of the regular SB pre-out so I can assign priority and then hopefully it won't detect phantom highs and wides. I think I understand now.

I hope you are right about the ground loop. I remember experiencing a lot of that in my recording days. Although I think everything is going to a monster heavy duty power center but I may have screwed something up during reinstall. Will check when I get home.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page