Denon 2311 or 2112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-28-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, this is my first post and I'm looking for some advice on a receiver. First I should let you know my situation, I currently live in a pretty small apartment and have an onkyo 608 which I am giving to my parents since they need a new one. That puts me in the market for something new.

My current setup is:
Panasonic 50gt55
PS3 slim
Xbox 360 slim
Cable box
Mac mini for htpc
Klipsch synergy speakers and sub
Onkyo 608.

I bought a 709 at hhgregg yesterday for $450 but the hdmi board was bad so I returned it and decided to try Denon. At accessories4less I can get the 2311 for $329 and the 2112 for $369. Is there any reason not to get a refurb? I do not care about the network capabilities because I have the mini hooked up. Other than the multeq xt is there any reason to go to the 2112? Which should I do?

Thanks!

I should add I will upgrade to better speakers sometime down the road when I buy a house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-28-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you don't care about networking then 1712 should fit the bill well.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-28-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I would go with the 2112 for the MultEQ XT. The 1712 also has XT and is a bit cheaper freeing up funds for speakers.
post #4 of 14 Old 05-28-2012, 09:48 PM

Liked: 12
I wouldn't buy a refurbished receiver and 10:1, those are from accessories4less.

You can pretty much get a AVR-2112ci for $430 from everywhere or even less.

These are higher end receivers than the none IC models.

If you have the extra funds, the AVR-2312ci can be had everywhere for $600 and much less if you power shop.

IMO, the AVR-2312ci, AVR-3312ci, and AVR-4311ci are Denons best models opposed to the limited **13 series coming out. They all have nearly the same connections and number of connections. The AVR-2312ci lacking the composite video input for Bluray player and a phono input that the other 2 have. I also have to buy a new Technolink TC-772 phono preamp for my turntable. This preamp also has an additional input so the turntable doesn't take the last free analog audio input. Plus it has level control and USB PCM output to a PC for wave or MP3 recording of albums or any analog audio device connected to it.

The AVR-2112ci is nice also but it lacks in connections so bad, it doesn't have the connections or connection numbers to fit my equipment without "1" digital audio (mixed coax and Optical)input switch box, 1 AV input switch box (analog component, S-Video, composite video, analog audio inputs), and 2 audio switch boxes(as 1 audio recorder input switcher and 1 A/V recorder input switcher). It's not a fully functional switching AV receiver with it's limited switching capabilities.

Just think of what equipment you'll have in the future and if you'll ever want to record from them. You can only record in the analog domain right now without frustration. Many like to record their video games and cable (satellite) TV shows for archiving, and you can't archive record with an HDMI connection or a DVR (most). Just something to think about when putting this kind of money down.

Even with the AVR-2312ci, I need an audio switch/monitor loop box for recording analog audio to my H/K CD Recorder.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Do you care to elaborate in why I should stay away from refurbished? It comes with the 1 year warranty and I haven't heard anything bad about accessories4less. I have no desire to use it for recording and I do not have or want turntables so those aren't deal makers or breakers for me. Is the XT really worth it over the multEQ.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 04:06 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
There's no reason to stay away from a refurb providing it can be had for considerably less than buying new due to the reduced warranty period. Also, AC4L is a very reputible refurb reseller having been around for over 10 years and often spoken of very highly in this forum. Check with your credit card provider and they may even add an additional year to the warranty (AMEX will do this for sure and some MC/VISA providers will as well). Whether you choose the 2311CI or 2112CI depends on whether one offers a specific feature the other does not. You can check features at the first few posts of each Owner's thread. If you really don't need networking (ie. provides ability to control the AVR from anywhere you have access to your home WiFi), as suggested consider the 1712 over the 2112CI.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS68280 View Post

Do you care to elaborate in why I should stay away from refurbished? It comes with the 1 year warranty and I haven't heard anything bad about accessories4less. I have no desire to use it for recording and I do not have or want turntables so those aren't deal makers or breakers for me. Is the XT really worth it over the multEQ.

I've been VERY disappointed in the Audyssey Multi EQ XT in my receiver. This is a very finicky system that will only operate correctly with certain 'ideal' setups. It will not work correctly in my system with speaker levels off significantly, along with incorrect frequency response reports resulting in incorrect crossover settings.

Sound quality was very bad. I had to turn the multi EQ function off, which is a pain since its not global, but for each input.

So no, I wouldn't consider it at all because there's a real chance that it will not work in your system, as mine.

BTW, I don't do refurbished. You save little in buying someone elses troubles that hopefully was repaired right. In my experiences, you have a 50/50 chance it was repaired (refurbished) correctly. A used, repaired product for only a few bucks less. I have had better luck with a used product that has never needed to be repaired, and then the cosr savings are usually very substantial.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

I've been VERY disappointed in the Audyssey Multi EQ XT in my receiver. This is a very finicky system that will only operate correctly with certain 'ideal' setups. It will not work correctly in my system with speaker levels off significantly, along with incorrect frequency response reports resulting in incorrect crossover settings.

Sound quality was very bad. I had to turn the multi EQ function off, which is a pain since its not global, but for each input.

So no, I wouldn't consider it at all because there's a real chance that it will not work in your system, as mine.

BTW, I don't do refurbished. You save little in buying someone elses troubles that hopefully was repaired right. In my experiences, you have a 50/50 chance it was repaired (refurbished) correctly. A used, repaired product for only a few bucks less. I have had better luck with a used product that has never been repaired, and then the cosr savings are usually very substantial.

By finicky, you mean Audyssey may not produce good results when the operator refuses how to use the tool correctly.

For the vast majority of Audyssey (or any other EQ product) users who follow the guides available here, it works very well.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

IMO, the AVR-2312ci, AVR-3312ci, and AVR-4311ci are Denons best models opposed to the limited **13 series coming out. They all have nearly the same connections and number of connections. The AVR-2312ci lacking the composite video input for Bluray player and a phono input that the other 2 have. I also have to buy a new Technolink TC-772 phono preamp for my turntable. This preamp also has an additional input so the turntable doesn't take the last free analog audio input. Plus it has level control and USB PCM output to a PC for wave or MP3 recording of albums or any analog audio device connected to it.

The AVR-2112ci is nice also but it lacks in connections so bad, it doesn't have the connections or connection numbers to fit my equipment without "1" digital audio (mixed coax and Optical)input switch box, 1 AV input switch box (analog component, S-Video, composite video, analog audio inputs), and 2 audio switch boxes(as 1 audio recorder input switcher and 1 A/V recorder input switcher). It's not a fully functional switching AV receiver with it's limited switching capabilities.

Just think of what equipment you'll have in the future and if you'll ever want to record from them. You can only record in the analog domain right now without frustration. Many like to record their video games and cable (satellite) TV shows for archiving, and you can't archive record with an HDMI connection or a DVR (most). Just something to think about when putting this kind of money down.

Even with the AVR-2312ci, I need an audio switch/monitor loop box for recording analog audio to my H/K CD Recorder.

I really enjoy reading this same opinion on nearly every Denon thread... even ones that don't even contemplate the XX13 series... such as this one.
/sarcasm

Note, OP, your needs, which you wisely took great care to detail, are not the same as this poster's needs.

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #10 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

By finicky, you mean Audyssey may not produce good results when the operator refuses how to use the tool correctly.

For the vast majority of Audyssey (or any other EQ product) users who follow the guides available here, it works very well.

+1

There are always going to be a small percentage of folks that don't like Audyssey (regardless of whether it's user error or not). I would say that based on posts in all the Denon threads over the past 5 years (mostly discussing issues with their setups), that < 1% of users indicated a dislike for what Audyssey did for their setup.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #11 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 AM

Let's see, its a users error when the system requires you to position the speakers in a different area so that the system will work. The point of having a sound correction system is so that you get good sound where your speakers are placed. It's a failed system when you have to move your speakers to accommodate the system.

Maybe I should put sound treatment on the walls and ceiling to make it work correctly also. By the time all the accommodations are made, you won't need a correction system.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

I decided I wasn't really concerned with getting the XT over the multEQ. I ended up doing the 2311 for $349 shipped and with the free iPod dock. It was a tough decision but I figured I would be happy with either route I took. I liked the 608 a lot, and I wish my experience with the 709 went better. I hope my first experience with Denon goes well.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:

Let's see, its a users error when the system requires you to position the speakers in a different area so that the system will work. The point of having a sound correction system is so that you get good sound where your speakers are placed. It's a failed system when you have to move your speakers to accommodate the system.

Maybe I should put sound treatment on the walls and ceiling to make it work correctly also. By the time all the accommodations are made, you won't need a correction system.

Maybe you should buy another receiver if you are so dissatisfied with your Denon. Why keep complaining when you can simply replace it?

I know if I hated my receiver I wouldn't keep it....

Afro GT
post #14 of 14 Old 05-29-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Maybe you should buy another receiver if you are so dissatisfied with your Denon. Why keep complaining when you can simply replace it?

I know if I hated my receiver I wouldn't keep it....

I never said I hated my receiver. In fact I've raved about its great sound quality (without Audyssey) and the fact that its one if the remaining receivers that's still a receiver by definition, with a full AM/FM tuner and full analog/digital audio and video switching. Only Yamaha and TX-NR*09 (and earlier) receivers compare.

I'm not some young punk that believes the newest is the latest and greatest, I know better.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page