Playing 2 sets of speakers Denon 3802. Can't seem to figure it out??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seems like it should be simple enough. I have 2 main speakers in the basement that I have wired up as my 2 fronts, plays music simple enough.

I plugged in 2 speakers that go upstairs as the "multi-zone" speakers but can't seem to get sound out of them.

I would like to be able to play the speakers as either just the basement, just the upstairs, or both at the same time (like a speakers A/B or both). I never plan on having one system playing music while the other watching a movie as the manual describes. On the front of the receiver it has lights for Speakers A and B but don't see how to wire them up outside of what I did.

Any thoughts? Like I said, should be simple enough and thought it would be until I just tried to plug it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 10:46 AM

Liked: 32
See pages 12 & 18 of the manual. http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...033AVR3802.PDF
post #3 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You need to reassign two of the amplifers to drive the multizone speaker terminals. Check page 10 of the manual for instructions. See page 25 to see how to select the source for the second zone. As the manual notes it only works with analogue audio sources, it won't work sources only connected by coaxial/optical digital audio cables. Run a second set of analogue cables if this is the case.

The A/B lights are for the surround A and B speakers, and have nothing to do with the multizone speakers.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 10:56 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
This might be a good reason to finally upgrade to a newer Denon 7.1 HDMI AVR which would not only feature "Front B" capability to pass any audio (HDMI or otherwise) as you would like, but will also feature Audyssey MultEQ which as other former 3800 and 3802 owners have commented provides a noticeable improvement in audio fidelity.

Note however that one way to get digital audio to the upstairs speakers using the 3802 would be to connect them to the "Surr B" speaker posts and select the "5CH/7CH Stereo" surround mode and select the "A+B" setting with the limitation that the audio would have to be playing in the basement in order for audio to also be playing upstairs.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Multizone speakers on the receiver only work with analog sources. What source are you using?

Afro GT
post #6 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the info. I'm still a little confused...

I got into the onscreen setup (forgot about that) and under power amp assignment I can choose Surround Back or Multi. Surround Back shows 4 speakers Multi just shows 2 (is that normal, the on screen visual?).

I can then go into speaker assignment and shut off all speakers except Surround A I left on. I tried to assign them to Surround B as the manual confused me but when I do, A has to stay on (assume this is normal).

I still get no sound but maybe I'm not clear after making that change on how to "enable" it? I'm using the Tuner to listen to the radio, that's it. Nothing fancy, this isn't my home theater just an easy way to listen to basic music (or I thought?).

I just found the multi-input setting and did change that to tuner, turned up the volume on the receiver on the multi-setting, still same results. Tried Surround Sound Back A and B, no results. Is it because I'm trying the tuner? Can I not do FM radio multi-zone?

Thanks again everyone so far
post #7 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 11:43 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
^^
There should be no issue playing the TUNER source to the Multi zone speakers. Are you following the instructions on p. 25 (front panel) or p. 26 (remote) in your Owner's manual to correctly set up audio to these speakers?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

I think i am but will double check. Did try a cd player same results
post #9 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Make sure you've connected your patio speaker to the surround back/multizone speaker terminals. Do not try to connect the patio spakers to the Surround A or Surround B speaker terminals. Since you only have two speakers in your main zone, the basement, you should not have anything attached to the Surround A or B speaker terminals.

Set the Power Amp Assignment so the word "Multi" is highlighted. This will show you a pitcure at the bottom of how you can set up the two rooms, with up to 5 speakers and a subwoofer on the left for the main zone, and 2 speakers on the right for the second zone.

Now go to the Speaker Configuration and make the following settings:

Front Sp. "Large"
Center Sp. "None"
Subwoofer "No"
Surround Sp. A "None"
Surround Sp. B "None"
Sp. Back "None"

The "Sp. Back" option may not be present if you set Power Amp Assignment correctly to "Multi".

Now change the Multi Vol. Level setting to "Variable". This option may also not be available if you set the Power Amp Assignment correctly.

If it still doesn't work then try disconnecting your patio speakers and move the front speakers from the front speaker terminals to the surround back/multi speaker terminals. Use the same cable you're using now to connect your basement speakers. If it now works then its likely that there is either a problem with the cables connecting your patio speakers or your patio speakers themselves.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, that did it. Thanks EVERYONE for their help (slaps head about plugging into the wrong input)
post #11 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I was wondering why you kept trying to use surround A and surround B, they are not for multizone use.

Glad you finally go them connected to the correct speaker terminals.

Afro GT
post #12 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I was wondering why you kept trying to use surround A and surround B, they are not for multizone use.

Glad you finally go them connected to the correct speaker terminals.

I read another link before coming here that said use surrond b for multizone so thats why i was stuck on that
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page