How can I rig this up? (noob question) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok how can I rig this up. I posted a pic of my TV connector panel, which is a 2009 Model mitsubishi WD-65-837. I'm trying to hook up a crummy off the shelf walmart RCA surround sound system. It was $80. So that gives you an idea. My father in law bought it just for a one time use at our wedding. So now I'm hooking it up to our TV. Can't afford a better one right now due to school.

Anyway, I only really have two options for getting the sound to go from the TV, to the unit. But both options have a catch. As you can see from the pic, I don't have optical audio out. All I have is that orange digital out that is just like any of those red or yellow audio connections. Weird cause I've never seen its like before. Well, the surround sound has that optical audio in. So I'm not sure if there is some way I can hook those up together.

The next method I could use would be just the standard composite Left and Right (white and red connector) outputs on the TV. The receiver unit also has those. But, I have a pair of wireless headphones hooked up to the outputs on the TV right now. I know I could get a splitter thing for them, but in my experience that always has a bad effect on the sound quality. It certainly does on my computer, at least. So what should I do? Just get a really high quality splitter and hook the headphones and the receiver unit up into one output port on the TV? Cause I can not lose the headphones. I'd rather lose the surround sound.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-29-2012, 04:07 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
The orange RCA out is a coax digital output which you should be able to connect to the Walmart receiver using a "yellow" RCA composite video cable, otherwise if there's just an optical input on the receiver, then get a coax digital ---> optical converter.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 5 Old 05-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Is your signal OTA(local antenna) or do you have a cable/sat receiver box? If the latter, you can use optical out to your AVR optical in, then select proper sound input. HDMI video and optical audio work fine with TV speakers muted.

If OTA only, then jd is correct as usual.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thank you very much guys. I got it all rigged up now.

Now I know this is a low quality system, but it sounds like the two rear speakers are barely working at all. You don't hear much volume at all coming from them. I mean they work, but they are not nearly as loud as the front speakers. Is there something that could be causing that? Or is this normal?
post #5 of 5 Old 06-01-2012, 06:18 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Depends on what surround modes your system offers and what you prefer. If you want to hear DD/DTS 5.1 as it mixed, the surround speakers only come on when there is ambient noise to the side/behind you, whereas if the system has a "multi channel stereo" or "all channel stereo" mode, you could use that and although you would get much louder audio from the side surrounds, it would not longer be 5.1 surround audio, rather simply stereo audio from the front speakers mirrored to the surround speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page