Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 719 Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am concerned about my AV7701 locking up fairly frequently. Are other owners experiencing this?

What happens for me is that it keeps playing sound on its current input, but stops responding to any of the controls. The remote, the knobs/buttons on the unit, the web interface and the iOS remote app are all ignored. Typically, the display behind the fold down panel is completely blank when it gets into this state.

Pressing and holding the power button will not reset it.

The only thing I can do is pull the power cord - and that makes me feel bad...

I first noticed it happening using the iOS remote app to browse through Spotify and thought it was a fluke. But since then its been happening from time to time and I have not been able to isolate a specific repro case. Although I would say it is more likely to happen shortly after switching inputs.

This is a new unit I got a week ago as a replacement for my original unit (which was purchased in December). To the best of my recollection, the first unit never locked up like this one does but it did get stuck in a loop with the display message "Update Retry, please wait" - which was peculiar since I had not had it try to do a firmware update except for when I first got it. My dealer was able to get Marantz to replace that unit rather than go through a repair. The new unit is running the most recent firmware.

I have tried doing the microprocessor restart a few times, usually after it has malfunctioned - but that has not seemed to change its tendancy to lock up.

Marantz support tells me they have not heard about this from other owners, but I'm curious if that is really true or if I am indeed the only one.

Without a solid repro case, and with them telling me its not an issue they have seen before, I'm not enthusiastic about sending it in for repair - for fear that the problem does not present for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 719 Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisRoberts View Post

I am concerned about my AV7701 locking up fairly frequently. Are other owners experiencing this?

What happens for me is that it keeps playing sound on its current input, but stops responding to any of the controls. The remote, the knobs/buttons on the unit, the web interface and the iOS remote app are all ignored. Typically, the display behind the fold down panel is completely blank when it gets into this state.

Pressing and holding the power button will not reset it.

The only thing I can do is pull the power cord - and that makes me feel bad...

I first noticed it happening using the iOS remote app to browse through Spotify and thought it was a fluke. But since then its been happening from time to time and I have not been able to isolate a specific repro case. Although I would say it is more likely to happen shortly after switching inputs.

This is a new unit I got a week ago as a replacement for my original unit (which was purchased in December). To the best of my recollection, the first unit never locked up like this one does but it did get stuck in a loop with the display message "Update Retry, please wait" - which was peculiar since I had not had it try to do a firmware update except for when I first got it. My dealer was able to get Marantz to replace that unit rather than go through a repair. The new unit is running the most recent firmware.

I have tried doing the microprocessor restart a few times, usually after it has malfunctioned - but that has not seemed to change its tendancy to lock up.

Marantz support tells me they have not heard about this from other owners, but I'm curious if that is really true or if I am indeed the only one.

Without a solid repro case, and with them telling me its not an issue they have seen before, I'm not enthusiastic about sending it in for repair - for fear that the problem does not present for them.

All is well with mine. I have followed this thread since its creation and have not heard of this problem. But I have had a somewhat similar problem with my Oppo player in relation to Netflix streaming. Sometimes it will just appear to lock-up particularly when I go too rapid-fire through commands. So, now I try to be more careful to not overload its apparently fragile short-term memory bank. LOL The usual fix is to simply do a power-off. Perhaps another piece of equipment in your system or Spotify itself? You may have to play around with the problem for a while until you can identify under what conditions it occurs. Hope you find the culprit. Good luck!
post #273 of 719 Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
No problems for me either. I found you need to make sure that an cover art attached by ID3 tag to music files is no larger than the spec in the manual or it can cause problems with the media player.
post #274 of 719 Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Pending resolution with Marantz.
post #275 of 719 Old 02-09-2013, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does anyone know how to use one analog audio source for two hdmi video sources? I'd like to be able to hear my media player when the input is on both media player and cable tv.
post #276 of 719 Old 02-09-2013, 01:08 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
The best way to configure the cable box is HDMI to the TV with optical to the AVR. Doing this avoids HDMI handshake issues as well as allowing you to watch TV while playing another audio source on the AVR.
steviebstrummin likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #277 of 719 Old 02-09-2013, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I cant do that since i only have one hdmi cable run behind the wall to the mounted tv.

my previous question stands, Is it possible to use the same analog audio input for two hdmi video sources. Had no problems doing this with my 5 yr old harman kardon amp. Cant figure out how to do it on this thing.
post #278 of 719 Old 02-09-2013, 03:59 PM
585-645-1006

Your best bet is to likely use 2 "Y" splitter cables.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #279 of 719 Old 02-09-2013, 04:17 PM

I have recently purchased a brand new AV7701 to go with my MM8077. About a week after I had installed it, I realized that the right surround tweeter is making an intermittent static noise, as if it is picking up interference. So, I decided to perform the following tests:

• I swapped the speaker cable between the left and right surround speakers: the noise remains

• I moved the right surround speaker from its original position to another a few meters away: the noise remains

• I swapped the XLR outputs of the AV7701 between the left and right surround channels, while keeping the same inputs on MM8077 (effectively swapping the rear channels): the noise moved from the right channel to the left

• I used RCA unbalanced inputs instead of XLR: the noise remains

• I moved the XLR output connector on the AV7701 from the right surround position to the right surround back position: I could still pick up a static noise. In fact there is a much weaker version of the same noise on the front right speaker, as well. Both front left and surround left speakers have no such noise.

In addition to the static noise from the right speakers, coming out of the tweeters, there is a constant low-volume buzz coming from all 5 woofers. However, I think that this one may be normal based on what I've read online.

My speakers are B&W Theatre (685,686). I have already run Audyssey calibration and I have updated the processor to the latest firmware.

Do people have any ideas as to what may be going on?

Thanks,
Aris.
post #280 of 719 Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoutsos View Post

In addition to the static noise from the right speakers, coming out of the tweeters, there is a constant low-volume buzz coming from all 5 woofers. However, I think that this one may be normal based on what I've read online.

Thanks,
Aris.

That is NOT normal. You shouldn't hear anything. Sounds like you have a ground loop hum (60 Hz). No idea about your surround speaker.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

post #281 of 719 Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 AM

Thanks, Kevin,

I have been in contact with Selden Ball and, after his suggestion to test the buzz with another pre-amp source, I connected my old receiver to the unbalanced INs of the MM8077 and heard the same buzz (well, a bit fainter). I think it is, as you said, a ground loop. It is most probably due the the different potential between the AV7701 and the MM8077. The only solution would be, it seems, to run a wire between the two chassis of the amps and then drive that to the ground. But I can't be bothered for such a low buzz. Maybe at my next residence! :-)
Anyway, the static through the surrounds seems to be transient. Today, I've noticed that it could be heard through the other channel as well!
post #282 of 719 Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
^^^

Yeah, I read the other thread *after* I had responded. smile.gif

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

post #283 of 719 Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM

Liked: 11
Questions about internet radio feature. I would like to add some local stations how do i do it. The stations I would like to add are local and I don't see them on the menu. How I can manually add stations to internet radio
post #284 of 719 Old 03-14-2013, 03:45 PM

Greetings everyone! I finally decided to stop lurking around here and to start posting! Except I wish it was under better circumstances... I guess that's what this section is for though, to partly help with frustrations.... smile.gif I have had a 2-channel setup for a few months now and was missing some bass, so after deciding on the one I liked and while learning more about setting up my system and such I've run into a few problems. I hope you can help me.

I have a 2.1 speaker setup that consists of:

Marantz AV7701

Amp: Emotiva XPA-5 using XLR connects

Speakers: Bower and Wilkins CM9's: Bi-wired.

Sub woofer: SVS PC12-NSD with one RCA cable going into SW1 port on the 7701 and into the Right low level line on the Sub.

I have two problems, the first is when I am done calibrating through Audyssey it is giving me a -12db reading for my main speakers. I read a few pages back on using an attenuator to bring the decibel level down? Is there another solution?

Secondly, I had to play around with the sub woofer volume on the unit itself to give me a reading of -4db insead of -12db when I ran Audyssey, which is fine, but I still don't hear much through the sub woofer when I listen to anything, it's really quiet. Even compared to my main speakers I can barely hear it.

After going through Audyssey, I manually go in and set the crossover for the main speakers from 40hz to 80hz. The speaker size from large to small. LFE for sub woofer is set to 120hz and level is at -4db

Many thanks in advance to any help you all may give me!

Edit: So I heard how it's a known issue and to make my center channel turn on (even though I don't have one) and that should make the sub woofer work. This band-aid fix does work but what DB should I manually set it at for now until an actual fix is made? Also after I do this, I cannot use dynamic EQ...it's telling me to re-run Audyssey. I am assuming that is because it never detected a center channel in the first place.
post #285 of 719 Old 03-15-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 358
The -12dB problem is caused by the mismatch between the output voltage of the Marantz pre/pro (it's not a receiver!) and the extreme sensitivity of the Emotiva amps. One band-aid is to try RCA connections instead of XLR. RCA circuits usually have half the gain of XLR circuits, which often is enough of a reduction for calibration to work. Although using XLRs gives one a "warm fuzzy" feeling, they really aren't needed in most home environments.

Otherwise, replace the amps with ones which have lower gain or install attenuators.

Selden
post #286 of 719 Old 03-20-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisRoberts View Post

Running the newest firmware too. I am now having a problem with lock ups as well (unit is less than one week old). Mine has not locked up while playing the unit, rather it locks up after it has been turned off, only pulling the power chord seems to fix the issue. I am also having HDMI problems with the unit when first powering up. I have the AV7701 in pass-though mode for my tivo unit. When turning on the Marantz , it never goes out of pass-through mode. meaning the marantz is unable to play any sounds from the tivo, and the TV (via HDMI) never sees the AV7701. Sometime turning everything off and on fixes it, other times turning on another unit connected to a different HDMI port on the marantz fixes it.

I was told by Marantz support to do a reset on the unit and see if that fixes the problem. I will try that tonight and report back.

-Joe
post #287 of 719 Old 03-21-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
New firmware is out. Also for those of you with standby trouble changing the always on setting in the network section may help.
post #288 of 719 Old 03-21-2013, 06:14 PM

Was just about to post about the update smile.gif Updating now! Do you happen to know what the firmware is about?

EDIT: Update is done. I turned off center channel, subwoofer still works. Brilliant!
post #289 of 719 Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 AM
585-645-1006

Firmware changelog information for the recent update ...

1) The product corresponded to Gapless Playback from Mobile App.
2) When Pandora is played, the display of the icon becomes the Internet radio by specific music.
3) When the HDMI output is a dual output and the device connected with HDMI OUT1 is made a standby, the image of HDMI OUT2 is not output.
4) When the customer connects DLXA75R (VICTOR) and 65ZT5 (Panasonic) with the unit via HDMI, the unit is freezed by a dual output.
5) The Picture View setting cannot be stored.
6) AirPlay cannot be executed while executing SlideShow.
7) AirPlay cannot be executed from Function other than Network.
8) When Main Zone is turned on GUI is not displayed, if Main Zone is off and Zone2 is on.
9) If Center channel speaker is set to "None" and Subwoofer is set to LFE+Main, and Front speakers are set to "Small" no sound is heard from subwoofer.

post #290 of 719 Old 03-23-2013, 11:26 AM
585-645-1006

USB Firmware Updates – North American Marantz AV7701 units only

If you are having difficulty loading the latest firmware to your AV7701, please PM me with "AV7701" in the subject line after reading and agreeing with the disclaimer noted below and I will provide the update file. This service is no longer available.

Disclaimer:
This firmware is for use with North American Marantz AV7701 units only. Feel free to use it under the condition that it not be forwarded to other individuals and is for your personal use only. It is provided with the understanding that you will “use it at your own risk” and it comes without any implied warranty from D&M. You agree that D&M will not be held responsible for any damages to your unit resulting from the inappropriate use of this firmware or from updating the unit in an improper way. As this update being provided to you is not supported by D&M, should you have any installation issues, please do not call Marantz customer service for support as they will be unable to assist you.

After downloading and unzipping the provided .zip file, you will find a “firmwares” folder and a Word document which provides instructions on how to install the firmware update. The “firmwares” folder must be moved to an “empty” FAT16/FAT32 formatted 2GB (or larger) USB memory stick. Note that should you have any issues with the update, you may have to reset the unit’s microprocessor after doing the update so prior to installing the update, be sure to copy the unit’s on board configuration file to a PC using the Web Control SAVE feature.

Also review the following post on the SAVE/LOAD procedure ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_E10

post #291 of 719 Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM

hi,

i would like to ask the opinion of some of the expert here at avs forum. my av7701 will be arriving this coming thursday, and i am very excited to know what will be the effect on my system. my speakers are magnepan 1.6, cc5, and mmg 12 according to magnepan audyssey eq is not compatible with the speakers. so, my problem is how to configure the crossover frequency? do i need to do the individual crossover?

any suggestion is highly appreciated. by the way i also have a subwoofer.
post #292 of 719 Old 03-27-2013, 05:56 AM

Seems my issue of the unit locking up is over. either the reset or new firmware seems to have fixed it. Now I have another problem, when using multiple hdmi inputs, when I turn off one of the units connected to HDMI, I lose connection to audio via HDMI on the other input. Turning the AV7701 off/on doesn't fix the issue. I have to (in order) turn off the AV7701, turn off the TV, turn the TV back on then the AV7701.

-Joe
post #293 of 719 Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM

Are details of the new firmware available? I have no problems with my 7701 and hesitate to update for no good reason.
Edit: Sorry, just saw the info in post 289. Doesn't look like any real reason for me to update other than to simply keep up to date.
post #294 of 719 Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklan2 View Post

hi,

i would like to ask the opinion of some of the expert here at avs forum. my av7701 will be arriving this coming thursday, and i am very excited to know what will be the effect on my system. my speakers are magnepan 1.6, cc5, and mmg 12 according to magnepan audyssey eq is not compatible with the speakers. so, my problem is how to configure the crossover frequency? do i need to do the individual crossover?

Magnepan claims the 1.6 go down to 40Hz so I would cross your sub at 80Hz and see how it sounds. And I would do the individual crossover since you won't be doing the audyssey. BTW I just got a 7701 yesterday.

Wishing I could post in the Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

post #295 of 719 Old 03-27-2013, 02:28 PM

thank you for your suggestion. i follow the suggested setup of magnepan that you have to set the main speaker as large and make sure "no" subwoofer because of the illusion that you 3 big speakers on the front. the subwoofer is link to the main speaker thru "y" adapter. the cc5 need to cross from 150-250 hz.
in my old denon receiver i could not do the individual crossover and it doesn't have hdmi this is the reason why i am bought this marantz av 7701. my main goal is what will be cross on my main speaker?
post #296 of 719 Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklan2 View Post

hi,

If you read the Magnepan thread, you'll notice a number of owners using Audyssey. Suggest you connect the FL/FR speakers directly to the AVR with the sub connected to the sub pre-out and give Audyssey a try yourself and let the AVR determine the crossovers for the FL/FR speakers. wink.gif

post #297 of 719 Old 03-27-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If you read the Magnepan thread, you'll notice a number of owners using Audyssey. Suggest you connect the FL/FR speakers directly to the AVR with the sub connected to the sub pre-out and give Audyssey a try yourself and let the AVR determine the crossovers for the FL/FR speakers. wink.gif

Very good suggestion, worth a try.

post #298 of 719 Old 03-30-2013, 04:38 PM

my unit arrive 3/28 and was so excited to how to setup and prostrated that it is not wireless. i called marantz tech support and they told to have a bridge but i don't know what type of bridge do i need from verizon and i contacted verizon for this reason and nobody can give me the kind of support i need.

i believe there are a lot of expert here at avs that can solve this kind of problem. any kind of suggestion is highly appreciated and many thanks in advance.
post #299 of 719 Old 03-30-2013, 05:52 PM
585-645-1006

There are only a few AVRs on the market that include built-in Wifi which do not include any of the Denon or Marantz models in the past few years. Refer to the following post for more info ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_G2
steviebstrummin likes this.

post #300 of 719 Old 03-30-2013, 06:07 PM

A bridge will work, go over to the HTPC thread and there are plenty of networking experts that can get you working.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page